Author Topic: Fox News Calls Michelle "Obama's Baby Mama"...  (Read 3151 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Fox News Calls Michelle "Obama's Baby Mama"...
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »
More PC nonsense.  Michelle Obama can call Obama her "baby's daddy," but God forbid someone use the same popular slang and have the misfortune of being white.   ::) 

Fox News Calls Michelle "Obama's Baby Mama"...
FOX: Producer Used Poor Judgment
Huffington Post via Salon   |   June 11, 2008 11:06 PM

UPDATE: Politico Reports that
Fox addresses baby mama drama: Producer used "poor judgment"

Since Salon's Alex Koppelman caught Fox News characterizing Michelle Obama as "Obama's Baby Mama," there's been an uproar over use of such an offensive term.

"A producer on the program exercised poor judgment in using this chyron during the segment," said Fox's Senior Vice President of Programming Bill Shine, in a statement to Politico.

----
ORIGINAL REPORT:
As if implicating her as one half of a "terrorist fist jab" wasn't enough, Fox News has gone on to label Michelle Obama "Obama's baby mama."

Salon's Alex Koppelman writes:

An alert reader wrote in just a little while ago to let us know about something he'd spotted on Fox News Wednesday afternoon. During a segment discussing conservative attacks against Michelle Obama, the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama, the network described the former as "Obama's baby mama."

I checked, and sure enough, as you can see below, our e-mailer was right. In fact, that description was displayed on screen several times during the segment, which featured anchor Megyn Kelly and conservative blogger Michelle Malkin, an FNC contributor.

Koppelman has the video here, and you can see the stills below.

To be fair, Michelle Obama referred to Barack as her "baby's daddy" on the night he won his Senate seat in 2004.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/11/fox-news-calls-michelle-o_n_106655.html

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Fox News Calls Michelle "Obama's Baby Mama"...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »
No surprise seeing Malkin involved.

And BB's taken the role of white guy calling out double standards. It's a new role for him cuz I swear I've never seen him in it before!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
No surprise seeing Malkin involved.

And BB's taken the role of white guy calling out double standards. It's a new role for him cuz I swear I've never seen him in it before!

Then you haven't been paying attention.  :)  And don't assume that only white folks criticize PC.  You haven't read Colossus talk about it? 

There is also a difference between being PC and outright racism. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
"Baby moma" is 100% derisive. Means - useless woman you slept with an got pregnant and have nothing to do with. Other term is not considered insulting so much in 'urban' circles. Besides that, McCain calls his wife a c_nt and trollop - so let the press call her that too. Or go a step further as Fox did and move trollop into putting "McCains whore speaks". Or maybe toss thief and adulterer in there as well - she admitted that herself. Or why not put "Killer" under Laura Bush, whatever reasons made, she took a life. I doubt that will be happening lol.

As far as the Obama's - plus this Fox so far have referenced lynching, nice to have Obama assassinated, lied about his schooling, put Osamas name under his face and the terrorist fist jab [which Bush senior did years back with someone and seemed okay then]

LOL at anyone even thinking a news organisation saying it would be *nice to have an American candidate killed*, and all the other stuff is acceptable and normal. Fox is looking so desperate its amusing.

It's all good though, from what I have read, and women melting over it - Fox just helped pull in a few of Hillary's super feminist crowd. Good work Fox :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »

wow BB....you're really out there.

NT

Yes I am.  Thousands of miles away in fact.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
sorry to hear that. i thought you were more level headed.

i was clearly wrong.

NT

Oh darn.  And I was trying so hard to impress you.

How about you just have a different opinion and express your opinion?  I take it you don't see this as an overreaction?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:10 PM »

your spurious argument is laughable, and not worth discussing.

NT

Thanks for sharing.   ::)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »
I don't know the exact context, but seems a poor decision to have that on the screen.
I hate that term 'baby momma'...its almost legitimizing irresponsible male behavior.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »
It was a joke.  Probably not something I would have approved if I was in charge, solely because of the PC climate we live in.  We've gotten to the point where people are walking on egg shells.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
your spurious argument is laughable, and not worth discussing.

Spurious, nice word. Being ESL I am still learning, new one there. Thanks. :D

I don't know the exact context, but seems a poor decision to have that on the screen.

Issue would not be so bad if Fox was not so consistent with the 'poor taste'. This is like weekly now. When will they see this a youtube world, and they are more responsible for their actions than they were when it just flitted across a screen and was forgotten.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »

it was presented no different than the "terrorist fist jab". as serious journalism.

NT

They need to put a smiley face on the caption or something?  It was obviously an attempt at humor that got some people's panties in a bunch. 

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »
Liberals have no sense of humor, such squares they are!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:25 AM »
They need to put a smiley face on the caption or something?  It was obviously an attempt at humor that got some people's panties in a bunch. 

Well, let's by funny about everyone! Also though Fox was purporting to be news, not the comedy channel?

Cindy is a junkie thief. Fox should caption that. Bushes are the worst drivers in the history of the white house - one DUI conviction and one death. Fox should caption them the "Killer Drunks 1st Couple - Beware of them on the roads!". Won't happen. So funny to say a Presidential candidate should be killed, ref lynching, call his wife a baby momma, ref his actions as terrorist etc.

It's all good though, makes them look a fool, ruins credibilty and helps Obama with the feminist vote.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
More PC nonsense.  Michelle Obama can call Obama her "baby's daddy," but God forbid someone use the same popular slang and have the misfortune of being white.   ::) 

Did i miss somthing or did this fly right over your fracking head?  Are not these two things completely different ::)  "baby's daddy", how can you even put it in the same ball park as "Obama's baby mama."   ::)  wake the fuck up bb...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:16 AM »
We've gotten to the point where people are walking on egg shells.
not on getbig.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 04:25:26 AM »
Because most of you are clueless.... "baby mama" implies that his children are out of wedlock.

The people at Fox News are to smart for mistakes like that. All they're doing is seeing what the limits are before things hear up.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:19 AM »
Yeah, I hear ya...but still in poor taste IMO.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »
I suppose this kind of 'mistake' is what separates Fox from the 'liberal media'.

Dignity, fidelity, and honesty.  Fox News's mantra.

Or do these mistakes comprise what 'Fair and Balanced' means?

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »
Yeah, I hear ya...but still in poor taste IMO.

Fox is just sacrificing employees to see what the limits are. Fox can't outright call him an N-word so they have to test what level of racial hints people will tolerate yet still get the point. :)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »
Fox is just sacrificing employees to see what the limits are. Fox can't outright call him an N-word so they have to test what level of racial hints people will tolerate yet still get the point. :)

Exactly.

I picture the execs now, wondering how they can work a noose in next by "mistake" :D

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
Exactly.

I picture the execs now, wondering how they can work a noose in next by "mistake" :D

Next they'll be talking about how "bright and articulate" he is, LOL!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
Did i miss somthing or did this fly right over your fracking head?  Are not these two things completely different ::)  "baby's daddy", how can you even put it in the same ball park as "Obama's baby mama."   ::)  wake the fuck up bb...

::)  They're both slang.  Neither should be used by the media when trying to be funny, because too many liberals don't have a sense of humor.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »
BB, there's no context in which that is referring to a married person. I agree that his wife using it to appear 'down' with common black people is stupid as well but the term is almost never used to describe non-minorities. I just wish people would be more honest on issues like this.

Once you take away race, McCain and Obama are on damn near opposite ends of the political spectrum.  Only idiots would let Fox or any other news station/company confuse them with what the real issues are and what is at stake.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
BB, there's no context in which that is referring to a married person. I agree that his wife using it to appear 'down' with common black people is stupid as well but the term is almost never used to describe non-minorities. I just wish people would be more honest on issues like this.

Once you take away race, McCain and Obama are on damn near opposite ends of the political spectrum.  Only idiots would let Fox or any other news station/company confuse them with what the real issues are and what is at stake.

Yeah.  I understand the distinction.  But you gotta admit these are phrases that only certain people can use and in certain contexts.  I guess timing and context is everything, but this really isn't something that should be a big deal.  Fox was stupid to use the phrase. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
Yeah.  I understand the distinction.  But you gotta admit these are phrases that only certain people can use and in certain contexts.  I guess timing and context is everything, but this really isn't something that should be a big deal.  Fox was stupid to use the phrase. 

Fox isn't stupid. They may be ideologues, right thinking, full of shit and many other things but stupid isn't one of them.