Author Topic: Waistline limit in Japan..fat people are in trouble  (Read 2560 times)

Red Hook

• Getbig V
Waistline limit in Japan..fat people are in trouble
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:43 AM »

"Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

Those exceeding government limits — 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks — and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be steered toward further re-education after six more months
"

"But because the new state-prescribed limit for male waistlines is a strict 33.5 inches, he had anxiously measured himself at home a couple of days earlier. “I’m on the border,” he said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?hp

I

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Waistline limit in Japan..fat people are in trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »
And sumo was never the same.  :'(

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:32 AM »
i read this 3 days ago which now seems like an eternity ago

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:16:52 AM »
you go to most bars at night... easily, 80% of the girls are over 35.4 inches for women

Guys too, definitely.  I'd wager there are maybe 3-4 guys in the whole place with a 33 inch waist.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »
you go to most bars at night... easily, 80% of the girls are over 35.4 inches for women

Guys too, definitely.  I'd wager there are maybe 3-4 guys in the whole place with a 33 inch waist.
maybe we do too much deadlifting and squats in the US?  ???
follow the arrows

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 06:23:18 AM »
i think the IFBB should imply this rule in their contests

vinnydountsnyc

• Getbig III
  • ''Billy is border line retarded'' Colette Nelson
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 06:25:48 AM »
BIG BROTHER IS OUT OF CONTROL
911 INSIDE JOB !

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:27:43 AM »
Glad I dont live in Japan, I destroy those guidelines :)

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:45 AM »
Glad I dont live in Japan, I destroy those guidelines :)

Yeah, you're a fat fuck.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »

Yeah, you're a fat fuck.
where's your pic?  ::)
follow the arrows

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:30 AM »
Cutting down on obesity will save Japan tons of money and lead to a healthier population. It's a smart, good move for their entire population.

The US should do the same thing because I'm tired of seeing so many fatasses. We should also pass laws that prevent fat people from wearing the wrong size clothes in public.

If someone's athletic and big, fine. Fat for the sake of being fat is bad. Healthcare of these people costs the taxpayers a lot. Forget about how expensive it is when they finally go on SSI.

spinnis

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
Can you imagine the fucking panic if they did this in USA?

Lol, MASSIVE suicide

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:49:35 AM »

You'd be surprised...guys and girls here on average are skinny and structurally smaller than your average American. Now i haven't walked around with a tape measure...but put it this way...when you go to the beach, you actually have to look hard to find the "fat" person, and even then said person is nowhere near the size of the beached whales in America.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
You'd be surprised...guys and girls here on average are skinny and structurally smaller than your average American. Now i haven't walked around with a tape measure...but put it this way...when you go to the beach, you actually have to look hard to find the "fat" person, and even then said person is nowhere near the size of the beached whales in America.

walk around any mall in the US anywhere anytime  ::)

maybe you see 1 in 10 guys that look like the care about their appearance enough to stay in shape.

either you see skinny chicks or fat chicks..it hard to find a woman these days that appears to be in good shape..

people ask how many time that you work out, when I say that I try to walk every morning and lift 3-5 times per week. People look at like me I insulted their mother. Where as if I said that I watch TV 5+ hours per day and eat junk food they would feel a certain kinship.
I

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
people ask how many time that you work out, when I say that I try to walk every morning and lift 3-5 times per week. People look at like me I insulted their mother. Where as if I said that I watch TV 5+ hours per day and eat junk food they would feel a certain kinship.

Yeah, you could then discuss how you are "trying to lose weight" while you chow down your Doritos and Diet Coke.

Every time I go back home I feel like I'm walking around in a land of blimps. Overweight people who are malnourished, that's the fuckin' irony.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »

You live in Japan?  When I returned to Aus after a month there, everyone looked really flabby.

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »
Yeah, been here about four years now.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
walk around any mall in the US anywhere anytime  ::)

maybe you see 1 in 10 guys that look like the care about their appearance enough to stay in shape.

either you see skinny chicks or fat chicks..it hard to find a woman these days that appears to be in good shape..

Thats because most of society is mediocre

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
the women's limit should be less then the men's not more.  ???

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 09:34:59 AM »
Oh it will come to the USA. It will become illegal to have a waist over 33 inches, you will not be able to get health insurance. It's becoming one big concentration camp. Just give it time...

There ain't enough food for everybody to go around anyway.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »

Yes, but those little japs have small bone structures.  It gives them great honor.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »
I'm all for Americans trying to be healthier.  The obesity epidemic is sick.
However, we already kind of penalyze heavy people by making them pay more for health insurance.  If our country passes universal health coverage and is gov mandated, don't be surprised if you see things like this and more from the government.  Its a dangerous precident in gov control of personal freedoms.
I like that fat people have to pay more for health insurance...they are higher risk, plus they can loose weight if they don't like it.

Passing a strict rule of 33.5inches is stupid because a 6'5 person could have a 36" waist and still be quite slim.  Some people are genetically stockier than others.  A more fair estimate of risk should include both waist circumference and bodyfat %.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »
Yeah, been here about four years now.

How do you like it?  I heard mixed reviews from long termers over there.

I liked it, but I was seeing it strictly from a tourist's perspective.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
Can you imagine the fucking panic if they did this in USA?

HAHA
S

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »
lol funny japan, they should make a height limit too, like at the Carnival. :P
A