Author Topic: Obama Tells Blacks they suck at parenting also to engage in parenting  (Read 2029 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Haha Weird

Obama tells black fathers to engage their children

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jun 15, 3:31 PM ET

CHICAGO - Barack Obama celebrated Father's Day by calling on black fathers, who he said are "missing from too many lives and too many homes," to become active in raising their children.

ADVERTISEMENT

"They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it," the Democratic presidential candidate said Sunday at a largely black church in his hometown.

Reminding the congregation of his firsthand experience growing up without a father, Obama said he was lucky to have loving grandparents who helped his mother. He got support, second chances and scholarships that helped him get an education. Obama's father left when he was 2.

"A lot of children don't get those chances. There is no margin for error in their lives," said Obama, an Illinois senator.

"I resolved many years ago that it was my obligation to break the cycle — that if I could be anything in life, I would be a good father to my girls," added Obama, whose daughters, Sasha and Malia, and his wife, Michelle, watched from the audience.

Obama's appearance at the Apostolic Church of God was his first address to a church since he ended his membership at Trinity United Church of Christ, where he had worshipped for 20 years, following inflammatory remarks there by his former longtime pastor and others.

Obama frequently emphasized the importance of God in his life and ended the speech by asking the congregation to "Pray for me. Pray for Michelle."

Obama often speaks about the importance of parental involvement. In Washington, he sponsored legislation to get more child support money to children by offering a tax credit for fathers who pay support, more efficient collection and penalties for fathers who don't meet their obligations.

The issue adds to his family values credentials and lets voters see him delivering a stern message to black voters.

"We can't simply write these problems off to past injustices," Obama said Sunday. "Those injustices are real. There's a reason our families are in disrepair ... but we can't keep using that as an excuse."

Obama urged black parents to demand the best from themselves and their children.

He compared it to his own presidential campaign and early comments from black voters who said they liked him but didn't think a black man could ever be elected president. He said they were admitting defeat before the competition had even begun.

"That was when I wasn't black enough. Now I'm too black," he said in a joking aside.
He said parents who proudly tell him their child gets great grades, all B's, should encourage them even more.

"All B's? Is that the highest grade?" Obama said. "It's great that you can get a B, but you can get a better grade. It's great that you've got a job, but you can get a better job."

spinnis

Why dont we hear any wight canidates going to an all white church to talk about White things?

Becuse that would be racist.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
Biggest problems in the Black community are:

1.  No Baby's Daddy around

2.  Believing that because you are monetarily poor destroying your own neighborhood justifies your actions.

3.  Kids having kids (this is a problem with many cultures)

4.  No personal accountability

5.  Drugs and gangs are "how we do 'round herrr".

6.  Glorifying violence (Problem in many cultures as well)

7.  Always have their hand out like somebody/government owes them something.

It all starts with having a solid family base with morals and accountability.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

Obama said that he's met lots of Blacks who say that they're rooting for him, but just don't feel that a Black can win the Presidency.

He feels that's a defeatist attitude.  He may be right, but for the past year, I've argued that's the reality.

BUT, with the economy continuing to tank, the Republican candidate is being weighed down even more by Bush-Cheney's mess.

steveeray

• Getbig III
Obama for president
Let's see how a niggggga rules

Wesss side

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Obama said that he's met lots of Blacks who say that they're rooting for him, but just don't feel that a Black can win the Presidency.

He feels that's a defeatist attitude.  He may be right, but for the past year, I've argued that's the reality.

BUT, with the economy continuing to tank, the Republican candidate is being weighed down even more by Bush-Cheney's mess.
have you been subject to some strange army experiment where they try to cryo freeze your ass for a few years :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

are you starting to admit to yourself there is a chance mccain might not be a lock to win it?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Thats some common sense being spoke here.  Good to hear.  Its something that needs to be a priority in this country...and something that only goes over well from someone like Barack.

Hopefully, his policies will support family values, real education improvements (instead of dumping $ into a system that has not gotten better) and real opportunities and advancement.

youandme

• Getbig V

Hopefully, his policies will support family values, real education improvements

Many programs have come and gone, because the incentives they offered to the African American community in which he spoke were used up, with no result in the end.

Many have the opportunity to go to collee for free, and never pay the government back for the student loans - instead the money is used and the classes are ignored, while the checks come in the mail. No benchmarks and no penalties for abusing the system.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Publically admitting blacks cause a lot of their own problems isn't going to win him any votes.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Obama Tells Blacks they suck at parenting also to engage in parenting
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:19 AM »
Thats some common sense being spoke here.  Good to hear.  Its something that needs to be a priority in this country...and something that only goes over well from someone like Barack.

Hopefully, his policies will support family values, real education improvements (instead of dumping $ into a system that has not gotten better) and real opportunities and advancement.

Yes, ...That why I find it so odd that youandme would classify it as wierd. What he's saying is hardly anything new.
It's been repeated over & over again in the black community by many, ...in fact by far more controversial figures.

I wonder how many people are gonna jump on this and say how great Obama is for saying it,
...I can imagine the egg on their faces when they realize these statements have also been spoken by Farrakhan,
...who by the way also happens to be one of the biggest and harshest critics of the black community.
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
Its not weird at all.  We need more common sense these days.
Bill Cosby said these things and it was met with some harsh criticism unfortunately.  Hopefully, perceptions are changing.  Without values, family/community, respect for oneself and others, this country will continue a downward trend.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »
Its not weird at all.  We need more common sense these days.
Bill Cosby said these things and it was met with some harsh criticism unfortunately.  Hopefully, perceptions are changing.  Without values, family/community, respect for oneself and others, this country will continue a downward trend.

Blacks hate Bill Cosby because of it.

No what is weird is he appeals to the crowds he stands in front of, a total facade.

White crowd - I'm not black, I'm half white, raised by a white mother
Black crowd - I'm not white, in fact I'm too black

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 01:59:32 PM »
There are many black Americans that agree with Cosby, unfortunately there were many others that crucified him as being a sellout or airing dirty laundry, which is just ridiculous.  As is often the case, the people that are most vocal & offended are often the least reasonable (or educated).  In this case, the outrage and criticisms came from that subsection.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
I think all I can remember was the Sharpton crown rallying against him

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
I'm gonna make it clear to those have seen me criticize Obama here...I am really happy to hear him say these things!  I'm hoping this guy surprises us and morphs into a moderate common sense leader...I don't think so, but never say never.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
There are many black Americans that agree with Cosby, unfortunately there were many others that crucified him as being a sellout or airing dirty laundry, which is just ridiculous.  As is often the case, the people that are most vocal & offended are often the least reasonable (or educated).  In this case, the outrage and criticisms came from that subsection.

Just as you'll find many white people who approve of and agree with Bush Mccain, ...you will also find many white people who think the BushMcCain policies are absolutely absurb. What's the moral of this story boys and girls? Just like whites, ...black people have differing perspectives and POVs on the same issues. Really... we do!  :P
w

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
I'm gonna make it clear to those have seen me criticize Obama here...I am really happy to hear him say these things!  I'm hoping this guy surprises us and morphs into a moderate common sense leader...I don't think so, but never say never.

Sad thing is, he was doing this for this exact reason. Not to really make a "change" just pandering as usual.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
Just as you'll find many white people who approve of and agree with Bush Mccain, ...you will also find many white people who think the BushMcCain policies are absolutely absurb. What's the moral of this story boys and girls? Just like whites, ...black people have differing perspectives and POVs on the same issues. Really... we do!  :P

Yes and the CarterHusseinObama style of politics already failed.  No matter how hard CarterHusseinObama tries he can't help but lead us as horribly as CarterHusseinObama did. 

What is the moral of the story?  Don't call Black people "boys" it is racist to refer to anyone else as a boy or girl who posts here is clearly disrespectful grow up and jaguarenterprises you should know better.  Tsst Tsst 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »
Yes and the CarterHusseinObama style of politics already failed.  No matter how hard CarterHusseinObama tries he can't help but lead us as horribly as CarterHusseinObama did. 

What is the moral of the story?  Don't call Black people "boys" it is racist to refer to anyone else as a boy or girl who posts here is clearly disrespectful grow up and jaguarenterprises you should know better.  Tsst Tsst 

Well if I'm as old as many here would have you believe, ...that would give me the right to call anyone under the age of 80 a boy or girl wouldn't it? Are there any octagenarian readers of getbig? If so... speak up or forever hold your peace.

...and NO, I'm not talking about that PIECE you wankers! 
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 07:22:38 AM »
Making these immature jabs at Obama is not effective...or appropriate.  I see the right wing media doing this from time to time.  Its not an effective strategy and makes that person appear childish.  Criticize him on his platforms, there's plenty there to object to without attacking his name and taking comments out of context.

Of course Jag, only a fool would think otherwise.  I wish that we in the US would move farther away from collectivism and more towards individualism.  That appears to be the case where you are.