Author Topic: I Called It Before It Even Started...Simply Amazing!  (Read 2775 times)

The Coach

I Called It Before It Even Started...Simply Amazing!
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
Woods tops Mediate after 19-hole playoff

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- With a throbbing knee and a pounding heart, Tiger Woods made one last improbable escape and won the U.S. Open in a 19-hole playoff over Rocco Mediate on Monday, his 14th career major and maybe the most amazing of them all.

One shot behind after a collapse no one saw coming, Woods birdied the 18th hole to force sudden death at Torrey Pines against a 45-year-old with a creaky back who simply wouldn't go away.

Related
Hole-by-hole scoring
Notes from the playoff
U.S. Open playoff history
But that one extra hole was enough to doom Mediate, trying to become the oldest U.S. Open champion at 45 years, 6 months.

He put his tee shot in the bunker at No. 7, knocked his approach off a cart path and against the bleachers, chipped some 18 feet past the hole and missed the par putt.

On the verge of one of golf's greatest upsets, Mediate instead became another victim.

Woods, who delivered so many spectacular moments over four days along the Pacific Ocean bluffs, needed only a two-putt par at the end to win the U.S. Open for the third time, and the first since it last was held on a public course at Bethpage Black in 2002.

It capped a remarkable week for the world's No. 1 player, who had not played since April 15 surgery on his left knee and looked as though every step was a burden. But the knee held up for 91 holes, and the payoff was worth the pain.

"I'm glad I'm done," Woods said. "I really don't feel like playing anymore. It's sore."

Woods joins Jack Nicklaus as the only players to capture the career Grand Slam three times over.

Mediate's odyssey began two weeks ago when he had to survive a sudden-death playoff simply to qualify for this U.S. Open. Even more unlikely was going toe-to-toe with Woods -- whom Mediate referred to as a "monster" -- and nearly slaying him.

He had a 20-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to win, but it slid by on the left.

Mediate struggled to keep his emotions after taking bogey on the first extra hole, but he walked off Torrey Pines with 12,000 new friends who crammed both sides of every fairway for a playoff that was tighter than anyone imagined.

"Obviously, I would have loved to win," he said. "I don't know what else to say. They wanted a show, they got one."

Did they ever.

From the opening tee shot Thursday in a light fog known as "June Gloom," this U.S. Open simply shined.

"This is probably the greatest tournament I've ever had," Woods said.

It was filled with some of his greatest moments -- a 30 on the back nine on Friday to get into the mix, two eagles from a combined 100 feet and a chip-in birdie on Saturday to take the lead, and one of the biggest putts of his career when he holed a 12-foot birdie with the final stroke of regulation to force the playoff.

Then came a playoff in which he built a three-shot lead with eight holes to play, only to find himself trailing four holes later.

Next up for Woods? Even he isn't sure after hobbling around on a knee that clearly hasn't healed.

"I'm going to shut it down for a while," Woods said.
PGA.com PGATOUR.com Advertising Feedback

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: I Called It Before It Even Started...Simply Amazing!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »
Z

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
There has been nothing like in any sport by anyone in the history of sports. Even people who don't follow golf we're watching.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »

no suprise here, coach;  undeniably, unequivocally, and undoubtedly unmatched... easily the greatest of all time.  ;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
huh what the hell you talking about ive never watched golf in my life

that's one retarded "sport"!
Z

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- With a throbbing knee and a pounding heart, Tiger Woods made one last improbable escape and won the U.S. Open in a 19-hole playoff over Rocco Mediate on Monday, his 14th career major and maybe the most amazing of them all.

One shot behind after a collapse no one saw coming, Woods birdied the 18th hole to force sudden death at Torrey Pines against a 45-year-old with a creaky back who simply wouldn't go away.

Related
Hole-by-hole scoring
Notes from the playoff
U.S. Open playoff history
But that one extra hole was enough to doom Mediate, trying to become the oldest U.S. Open champion at 45 years, 6 months.

He put his tee shot in the bunker at No. 7, knocked his approach off a cart path and against the bleachers, chipped some 18 feet past the hole and missed the par putt.

On the verge of one of golf's greatest upsets, Mediate instead became another victim.

Woods, who delivered so many spectacular moments over four days along the Pacific Ocean bluffs, needed only a two-putt par at the end to win the U.S. Open for the third time, and the first since it last was held on a public course at Bethpage Black in 2002.

It capped a remarkable week for the world's No. 1 player, who had not played since April 15 surgery on his left knee and looked as though every step was a burden. But the knee held up for 91 holes, and the payoff was worth the pain.

"I'm glad I'm done," Woods said. "I really don't feel like playing anymore. It's sore."

Woods joins Jack Nicklaus as the only players to capture the career Grand Slam three times over.

Mediate's odyssey began two weeks ago when he had to survive a sudden-death playoff simply to qualify for this U.S. Open. Even more unlikely was going toe-to-toe with Woods -- whom Mediate referred to as a "monster" -- and nearly slaying him.

He had a 20-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to win, but it slid by on the left.

Mediate struggled to keep his emotions after taking bogey on the first extra hole, but he walked off Torrey Pines with 12,000 new friends who crammed both sides of every fairway for a playoff that was tighter than anyone imagined.

"Obviously, I would have loved to win," he said. "I don't know what else to say. They wanted a show, they got one."

Did they ever.

From the opening tee shot Thursday in a light fog known as "June Gloom," this U.S. Open simply shined.

"This is probably the greatest tournament I've ever had," Woods said.

It was filled with some of his greatest moments -- a 30 on the back nine on Friday to get into the mix, two eagles from a combined 100 feet and a chip-in birdie on Saturday to take the lead, and one of the biggest putts of his career when he holed a 12-foot birdie with the final stroke of regulation to force the playoff.

Then came a playoff in which he built a three-shot lead with eight holes to play, only to find himself trailing four holes later.

Next up for Woods? Even he isn't sure after hobbling around on a knee that clearly hasn't healed.

"I'm going to shut it down for a while," Woods said.
PGA.com PGATOUR.com Advertising Feedback

I'm so glad you finally realized bb is not for you.  ::)

The Coach

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:35:01 PM »

LOL.....I need to put that on a shirt.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
There has been nothing like in any sport by anyone in the history of sports. Even people who don't follow golf we're watching.

Kind of a stretch with that line.  

he admitted to taking percoset to get thru the days.  When asked how he persevered, he said "percoset".

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »
Before today's round, I predicted that Rocco would be leading by 2 strokes after 16 holes, but that Tiger would still win.  

I was off by 1 stroke.  I'm money.  

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
Kind of a stretch with that line.  

he admitted to taking percoset to get thru the days.  When asked how he persevered, he said "percoset".

::)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Picking Tiger Woods to win a major on a course where he's won six times before? Man, that's some ballsy shit, Joe!!!  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »
Woods needed triple overtime to beat a scrub with a monster 9 wins and a bad back?

Brutal underachieving.  Woods should be winning this by 10 strokes.  

yes, Joe, as a Republican I do know my shit when it comes to golf. &guy is the best ever, but this weekend was an example of getting lucky while doped up over a good golfer, rather than "nothing like in any sport by anyone in the history of sports."

The Coach

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
Before today's round, I predicted that Rocco would be leading by 2 strokes after 16 holes, but that Tiger would still win.  

I was off by 1 stroke.  I'm money.  

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=218743.msg3058607#msg3058607

;D

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
Woods needed triple overtime to beat a scrub with a monster 9 wins and a bad back?

Brutal underachieving.  Woods should be winning this by 10 strokes. 

yes, Joe, as a Republican I do know my shit when it comes to golf.  Tiger is the best ever, but this weekend was an example of getting lucky while doped up over a good golfer, rather than "nothing like in any sport by anyone in the history of sports."

Doped up? The guy hadn't golfed 18 holes in almost 3 months and was coming off knee surgery. Percoset doesn't turn you into a good golfer, but it allowed him the ability to play more like he was capable of. Stop being a fag.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
Seems like "The Coach" has found what he was looking for all these years in "golf".

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »
Picking Tiger Woods to win a major on a course where he's won six times before? Man, that's some ballsy shit, Joe!!!  ::)

Yes, but this time it took him 91 holes to do it on a screwed up knee. Ever walked 91 holes on a knee after surgery and won a major?

Didn't think so.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »

Brutal underachieving.  Woods should be winning this by 10 strokes.  

fuck that tiger should be 18 under every fucking time he plays a round of golf.

but sadly he is not

you gotta understand...if tiger wanted to play it safe and hit every fairway get every green in regulation and always make sure he gets his putts clkose enough so he doesnt ever 3 put... tiger could easily do that. but tiger wants to drive the ball 320, not 280, tiger wants to be under GIR, tiger wants to one put, tiger wants to eagle every hole.... what good is a lousy birdie?

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »
fuck that tiger should be 18 under every fucking time he plays a round of golf.

but sadly he is not

you gotta understand...if tiger wanted to play it safe and hit every fairway get every green in regulation and always make sure he gets his putts clkose enough so he doesnt ever 3 put... tiger could easily do that. but tiger wants to drive the ball 320, not 280, tiger wants to be under GIR, tiger wants to one put, tiger wants to eagle every hole.... what good is a lousy birdie?

You know Robs just fucking with you right? He's REALLY good at pissing people off.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
coach doesnt watching tiger play make you think you can go out and shoot a 70 ????   LOL... i always feel like a golfing god just after even watching that dude play... so damn effortless and natural for him..

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 02:53:30 PM »
coach doesnt watching tiger play make you think you can go out and shoot a 70 ????   LOL... i always feel like a golfing god just after even watching that dude play... so damn effortless and natural for him..

This is the thing about Tiger.......It seems the dude can't hit fairway to save his life off the tee, but the guy is mentally focused and strong nothing gets in the way of his short game.....ie; The 3rd round Eagle on 18 off the green :o

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

That's laying it on a bit thick.....but yeah, that was pretty fuckin impressive.

Tiger is MONEY when it comes down to the wire. Guy ain't human

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
I felt he should've played to par on Sunday and gone for birdies on the par-5s.  In recent years, the U.S. Open has been set up to reward par golf and you can expect that trend to continue for the next several years as well.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

I never owned a set of clubs until Tiger hit the Tour. 

While I understand what they mean about there being the 'Tiger Tour' and then the tour that everyone else plays, I'll watch a random event if it's close on Sunday and guys are playing good golf.  I like Furyk, Davis Love III, Sergio, Phil, and some of the kids are fun to watch, too. 

I've always had a respect for golf, but never truly appreciated it - or what the pros do - until I began to play.  And now I completely understand the addiction. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »
golf is only addicting if your ball striking is consistant...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 06:36:18 AM »
What I like is the fact that it seems everyone is still pulling for Tiger.  When you look at the real dynasty teams - Jordan's Bulls, late 90s Yankees, recent Pats...etc... you always see people rooting for them to lose.  But not with Tiger.

People love rooting for the underdog, so it would seem there'd be a ton of people pulling for Rocco.  Maybe there was, but NOBODY I spoke with didn't want Tiger to win.  Maybe they're just appreciating the greatness.
Y