Author Topic: Obama speaks with Iraq's foreign minister, promises visit  (Read 687 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama speaks with Iraq's foreign minister, promises visit
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
It is good that the potential future CIC will visit Iraq sometime between now and November.   ::)

June 16, 2008
Posted: 07:15 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt, CNN Political Producer Chris Welch

Sen. Obama plans to visit Iraq before the November Election.
(CNN) – A day after his Republican counterpart sat down with visiting Iraqi foreign minister Hoshyar Zebari, Barack Obama spoke with him by phone from Chicago Monday morning and told him that he looked forward to seeing him in Baghdad before November.

WATCH Sen. Obama discuss Iraq

“I emphasized to him how encouraged I was by the reductions in violence in Iraq, but also insisted that it is important for us to begin the process of withdrawing US troops, making clear that we have no interest in permanent bases in Iraq,” Obama told reporters upon landing in Michigan for a two-day swing through the state.

The Illinois senator misspoke when he argued that Zebari and “President Maliki” are concerned about Iraq’s sovereignty and are not seeking a long-term occupation by the United States. Jalal al-Talabani is the president of Iraq, Nouri al-Maliki is the prime minister.

“I gave [Zebari] an assurance that should we be elected, an Obama administration will make sure that we continue with the progress that's been made in Iraq, that we won't act precipitously,” said Obama.

Obama said Zebari did not express concern about a withdrawal of American troops, saying, “He did emphasize his belief that we've made real progress and I think was eager to see political accommodations between the factions follow up in the wake of this progress.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama speaks with Iraq's foreign minister, promises visit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
It is good that the potential future CIC will visit Iraq sometime between now and November.   ::)

He's visited before, hasn't he?

Mccain's been there, what, 7 times?  He made tha tdelusional comment about being able to walk around markets safely, then needed 100 guards andd 3 choppers to do it.  So it seems the more mccain goes, the less 'in touch' he is.

Besides, isn't it the job of the GENERALS to determinde out actions in Iraq?  Obama said he will defer to patraeus. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
It is good that the potential future CIC will visit Iraq sometime between now and November.   ::)

June 16, 2008
Posted: 07:15 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt, CNN Political Producer Chris Welch

Sen. Obama plans to visit Iraq before the November Election.
(CNN) – A day after his Republican counterpart sat down with visiting Iraqi foreign minister Hoshyar Zebari, Barack Obama spoke with him by phone from Chicago Monday morning and told him that he looked forward to seeing him in Baghdad before November.

WATCH Sen. Obama discuss Iraq

“I emphasized to him how encouraged I was by the reductions in violence in Iraq, but also insisted that it is important for us to begin the process of withdrawing US troops, making clear that we have no interest in permanent bases in Iraq,” Obama told reporters upon landing in Michigan for a two-day swing through the state.

The Illinois senator misspoke when he argued that Zebari and “President Maliki” are concerned about Iraq’s sovereignty and are not seeking a long-term occupation by the United States. Jalal al-Talabani is the president of Iraq, Nouri al-Maliki is the prime minister.

“I gave [Zebari] an assurance that should we be elected, an Obama administration will make sure that we continue with the progress that's been made in Iraq, that we won't act precipitously,” said Obama.

Obama said Zebari did not express concern about a withdrawal of American troops, saying, “He did emphasize his belief that we've made real progress and I think was eager to see political accommodations between the factions follow up in the wake of this progress.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

I don't think it would be a good thing simply because it would give FOX minions many opportunities to off him and chalk it up to the circumstances of being in a war zone. It's not like those disgusting pukes haven't given the 1st JFK an early retirement. What makes us think they'd be above giving his 2nd coming an early retirement before he even gets into office? They stopped RFK before he could get into office too. I say "Don't go, ..let the Foreign minister come to him."
w

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:14 AM »
He's visited before, hasn't he?

Mccain's been there, what, 7 times?  He made tha tdelusional comment about being able to walk around markets safely, then needed 100 guards andd 3 choppers to do it.  So it seems the more mccain goes, the less 'in touch' he is.

Besides, isn't it the job of the GENERALS to determinde out actions in Iraq?  Obama said he will defer to patraeus. 

Yes, I recall McCain saying that.

McCain acts like it is Europe in the throes of WWII, the way he talks about not needing to know the economy, just be a 'war time commander'. Apart form the fact that I am sure things have changed in the last 30 years or whatever since he came out [tactics, weapons etc] aren't there like 3553162 high ranking military types sitting around with all their charts and plotting stuff anyway? Something tells me the President doesn't plan each mission himself, deciding which platoon will advance from the west etc.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:32 AM »
U have to understand the big picture and Obama has no clue. His advisors are AirForce types and thats a huge problem because the Airforce does not fight insurgencies. The situation on the ground has changed much since McCain went into that market. Obama has been there once. I would expect before he sells us all out, that he goes in and sees whats happening. JFK and Obama are so far apart its ridiculous.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:48:31 AM »
JFK and Obama are so far apart its ridiculous.

Clearly much closer together than JFK and McBush.

I'd take the word of JFK's brother and JFK's daughter over who is closer than someone with his helmut on too tight.  :P
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:46:55 AM »
I would again invite u to look over ur history and then tell me where a JFK would stand.
L