Author Topic: If all ifbb pros would have a salary?  (Read 3365 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
If all ifbb pros would have a salary?
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:04:41 AM »
Is it going to improve bodybuilding? a typical monthly salary or help or whatever you wanna call it.....just to support these guys.

I mean its their job, if they actually wait for 2-3 shows in a year to earn some "money"...

Now european gp shows are cancelled....please.

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
Re: If all ifbb pros would have a salary?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
Take the average prize money (not the highest not the lowest the average) and divide it by 12 multiply it by lets say 4 (saying that they may do an average of 4 shows a year) then hit it with income tax + 401k + insurance.  These guys would starve.
\

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:59:42 AM »
What kind of salary would they get though?  15k a year?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »
What kind of salary would they get though?  15k a year?

why not....

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:47 AM »
What are you going to buy for $15k?(apart from a 2007 BMW M6... ::) )

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:40:23 AM »
Bad idea, this would kill the G4P-industry.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
Thats why there are endorsment deals.

Bodybuilders are used and abused.  It is a sad sad story. 
Thats business though.
Most are insecure fellas with short-guy syndrome that
were picked on as little kids.

The Pro's that deserve the money, make it and get it Period.
Most are all show no go!

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:56:02 AM »

It's an inverse relationship:

As salary goes up....G4P goes down

So no, it's not feasible.
just not good enough

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:08:02 AM »

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »
Why?

Because if we don't they may defect and represent Russia, sorry the "Commies" in the Olympia!!!!!

:D

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:40:44 AM »
Bodybuilders don't get into BB for money....as Pro's we strive to make the industry more of a job, and less of a passion. We don't have the backing of mainstream sponsor dollars, or appeal...which is why we've struggled along for so many years. Change has been slow, but much better over the last 5 years than the 10 before it....

The prize money has increased, so have the opportunities for guest posings/ appearances, etc....the contracts are at an all time high, as well as the amount of athletes with them...

As for some of your G4P obsessions...sorry to dissapoint you, but it's rare at the pro level.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »
As for some of your G4P obsessions...sorry to dissapoint you, but it's rare at the pro level.

Yeah....  just ask Tom Prince.  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Paul Allen

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »
to get paid, you have to deliver a product or a service.

endorse supplements = paycheck.
win show = paycheck.
lift weights, diet, etc = no paycheck.

very simple.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:58:01 AM »
to get paid, you have to deliver a product or a service.

endorse supplements = paycheck.

I honestly don't know what value supplement companies get from giving IFBB pros "contracts".  It's not like these guys are actual celebrities.  Outside of the very small number of people who follow the IFBB, no one has ever heard of them, and a large number of even those people regard them as merely sideshow freaks.  If a company needs someone with a good build to appear in ads, they could get an amateur to do the photoshoot for a few hundred dollars.  I really don't think "pros" lending their names to supplement companies really translates into increased sales, certainly not the extent it justifies the contracts.

Paul Allen

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »

I honestly don't know what value supplement companies get from giving IFBB pros "contracts".  It's not like these guys are actual celebrities.  Outside of the very small number of people who follow the IFBB, no one has ever heard of them, and a large number of even those people regard them as merely sideshow freaks.  If a company needs someone with a good build to appear in ads, they could get an amateur to do the photoshoot for a few hundred dollars.  I really don't think "pros" lending their names to supplement companies really translates into increased sales, certainly not the extent it justifies the contracts.

well, by "pro" i mean some freakishly big dude that'll make a 15 year old think "i want to look like that".  these freaks are usually pros.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:06 AM »
Shawn Ray made the most out of bodybuilding. The guy never had to work.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
If you paid a salary, then I think you must enforce a minimum # of shows per year that they must compete in.
I posted a couple of weeks ago on whether it's fair to call someone a pro, who rarely competes, yet walks
around with their pro card.

If you pay them a salary, then I'd say they must compete in at least 2 shows per year on the circuit, whether
they bring back the euro shows or not, you still have several shows in the calendar that they could choose from.
The only exeception I'd make are those who qualified for the Mr. Olympia, either by placing in top 6 last year, or
qualified with a show this year.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »

The cash outlay isn't that much, though, is it? 

Sure, they could use amateurs to pimp the products, but you have to remember that the original profit mechanism was to get as much money as possible from people who wanted to be bodybuilders.  It's only in the past decade or so that they've really begun marketing these 'diet products' outside the world of fitness. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »
The cash outlay isn't that much, though, is it? 

Sure, they could use amateurs to pimp the products, but you have to remember that the original profit mechanism was to get as much money as possible from people who wanted to be bodybuilders.  It's only in the past decade or so that they've really begun marketing these 'diet products' outside the world of fitness. 

Not that many people want to be bodybuilders (in the sense of getting on a stage in their underwear), most supplement buyers just want to get in great shape for a variety of reasons.  I would think the whole "pro bodybuilder" thing appeals to less than 5% of their total sales if even that much.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 08:20:36 AM »
Shawn Ray made the most out of bodybuilding. The guy never had to work.

Yes you are right.  Dealing drugs isn't considered work nor is dancing for guys and getting paid.  So yes you are right

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »
Bodybuilders don't get into BB for money....as Pro's we strive to make the industry more of a job, and less of a passion. We don't have the backing of mainstream sponsor dollars, or appeal...which is why we've struggled along for so many years. Change has been slow, but much better over the last 5 years than the 10 before it....

The prize money has increased, so have the opportunities for guest posings/ appearances, etc....the contracts are at an all time high, as well as the amount of athletes with them...

Bob, why is that?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
Bob, why is that?

Because BB isn't a sport that appeals to a wide sector, unlike Football, or baseball, etc...It's a small nitche type sport...like cliff diving, or Ironman competitions...the harder the sport is to participate in, the less interest by the masses.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Yes you are right.  Dealing drugs isn't considered work nor is dancing for guys and getting paid.  So yes you are right

Leave Milos out of this ???

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »

That makes sense to me although since the supplement companies continue to dish out contracts ($$) to athletes bodybuilders, it must be working.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

Ahhhhh..spoken like someone who truly doesn't know the industry, or the ROI from athlete endorsed contracts.