Author Topic: Car bomb kills more than 50 at Baghdad market  (Read 344 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Car bomb kills more than 50 at Baghdad market
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
Car bomb kills more than 50 at Baghdad market

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer

A car bomb tore through a market area in a mainly Shiite neighborhood in Baghdad on Tuesday, killing more than 50 people and wounding dozens, officials said, the deadliest such attack in more than three months.

The attack occurred just before 6 p.m. as the market in the northwestern Hurriyah neighborhood was packed with shoppers preparing for their evening meals.

Nobody claimed responsibility for the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of al-Qaida in Iraq, which is known to use car bombs and suicide attacks.

A soft drink vendor who witnessed the blast, Kamil Jassim, said the car that exploded was parked near a two-story building with shops on the bottom floor and apartments on top. He said a nearby generator caught on fire, partially collapsing the building and burning several other houses.

The casualty toll spiked to at least 51 people killed and 75 people wounded after rescue crews extinguished the blaze and found the bodies of dozens of victims who had been trapped inside or buried in the rubble, a police officer said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release the information.

Most of those killed were burned to death or suffocated, he added.

The blast shattered the relative calm in the capital amid stepped up security measures. American commanders have consistently said they have al-Qaida in Iraq on the run but warned that the insurgents retain the ability to stage high-profile attacks.

Haider Fadhil, a 25-year-old metal worker, said he was shopping with his two friends when the force of the blast tossed him through the air and knocked him out.

"When I regained consciousness, I found that my left hand and leg were broken," he said from his hospital bed. "Thanks be to God for saving me and thanks to those who carried me in their pickup truck to the hospital."

Tuesday's attack was the deadliest car bombing since March 6, when a twin bombing killed 68 people in a crowded shopping district in the central Baghdad district of Karradah.
!

The Master

• Getbig V
Re: Car bomb kills more than 50 at Baghdad market
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:05 PM »
The religion of peace ::)

Inferior people.