Author Topic: Finals flop reveals folly of Kobe's MVP  (Read 3783 times)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Finals flop reveals folly of Kobe's MVP
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
Nah i dont give them a chance, bynum is over-rated, all this hype is based on a few games.
i dont think he is overrated, i think he'll have a big impact once once he settles down. he seems like a solid double double guy. once the lakes can have a threat on the inside, kicking it out to 24 or whomever is on the perimeter will be much more effective. that and they're already a great passing team. they'll be one of the fav out of the west i think.

body88

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
my opinion is heavily influenced by the lakes flop in the finals no doubt, i have never seen a team get dominated in the paint like that or much less simply give up in a game that they needed to win to stay in the series. you can take joyous pride in the fact that the lakes won the conference finals against the spurs reminisce about the victory over the spurs till your hearts content, pound your chest with all your might and hold your head up high, just do you best not to remember what happended in the finals.

I should take this time in front of the board to admit I was wrong when I called you biased against Boston sports. Although I don't agree with your views on the patriots, I cannot call you biased. You have your opinion, which you are entitled to, but your actions in this thread have proven you are not a Boston hater, because if you where, you would be making excuses for the laker's.

Most view me as a yahoo when it comes to the pats, but admitting when I'm wrong is not something I have any issues with. I'm not wrong about my pats though ;)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »
I should take this time in front of the board to admit I was wrong when I called you biased against Boston sports. Although I don't agree with your views on the patriots, I cannot call you biased. You have your opinion, which you are entitled to, but your actions in this thread have proven you are not a Boston hater, because if you where, you would be making excuses for the laker's.

Most view me as a yahoo when it comes to the pats, but admitting when I'm wrong is not something I have any issues with. I'm not wrong about my pats though ;)

no apology needed. i was never a Boston hater i usually go for the underdogs in most cases. there is nothing wrong with being a fan, the pats win just so damn much. unlike the Celtic and Pierce. also the fact that i probably would have said Pierce was way overrated and argued it to the ends of earth with you had he not did so well in the finals and won. i would have been wrong regarding Pierce. and  from that i can see how my opinion can be wrong.
as for your Pats..yes im sure they werent the only ones taping illegally Im sure most teams were doing that...there I said it. you have no idea how much work i had to push aside at my job to argue and research my point with you on the spygate thing. its all in good fun.. ;)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:16 PM »
i dont think he is overrated, i think he'll have a big impact once once he settles down. he seems like a solid double double guy. once the lakes can have a threat on the inside, kicking it out to 24 or whomever is on the perimeter will be much more effective. that and they're already a great passing team. they'll be one of the fav out of the west i think.
Cool post.
I think the lakers had lady luck on there side this season ( just kidding, they played great all year) now i dont mind bynum but his not going to take them over the hill, but its way to early to make predictions now, for now i say the Celts are champs and deservingly so...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
Nah i dont give them a chance, bynum is over-rated, all this hype is based on a few games.

I dunno... he's had constantly better numbers over the past two years... The more he plays, the better he does.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »
I dunno... he's had constantly better numbers over the past two years... The more he plays, the better he does.
i hope he does play good and become a all-star.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
my opinion is heavily influenced by the lakes flop in the finals no doubt, i have never seen a team get dominated in the paint like that or much less simply give up in a game that they needed to win to stay in the series. you can take joyous pride in the fact that the lakes won the conference finals against the spurs reminisce about the victory over the spurs till your hearts content, pound your chest with all your might and hold your head up high, just do you best not to remember what happended in the finals.

I remember.  Trust me, I will never forget the carnage.  We take no joy in conference championships in Lakerland.  But I will not sit back and let Spurs fans say they had the better team this year when the facts say otherwise.  And I am by no means anti-Spur, they are a fantastic organization, they changed the way scouting is done on the international front, and I've said all of this before on the sports board many times.

If a Celts fan says they have a better team I say "absolutely."

If a Pistons fans says they have a better team I say "maybe."

If anyone in the Western Conference says that after the Lakers went 12-4 against the toughest Western Conference in years, they are going to receive a beat down. So be a man, admit the facts, the Lakers were not the best in the NBA this year but better than the Spurs and say "we'll get you next year."  That is what I try to teach my 6 year old is "good sportsmanship."  Try it.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 12:14:28 AM »
I remember.  Trust me, I will never forget the carnage.  We take no joy in conference championships in Lakerland.  But I will not sit back and let Spurs fans say they had the better team this year when the facts say otherwise.  And I am by no means anti-Spur, they are a fantastic organization, they changed the way scouting is done on the international front, and I've said all of this before on the sports board many times.

If a Celts fan says they have a better team I say "absolutely."

If a Pistons fans says they have a better team I say "maybe."

If anyone in the Western Conference says that after the Lakers went 12-4 against the toughest Western Conference in years, they are going to receive a beat down. So be a man, admit the facts, the Lakers were not the best in the NBA this year but better than the Spurs and say "we'll get you next year."  That is what I try to teach my 6 year old is "good sportsmanship."  Try it.
im not a spurs fan, in the nba i tend to follow players more than teams. when it comes to playoffs and finals i usually go for the veterans that havent won a ring. figure the young guys have ten years left. in this case Pierce and the gang were all ring-less plus they were the under dog, i made the mistake of thinking the lakes would take it in 6 and Pierce impressed me and proved me wrong. as much as i think kobe is the best player in the league if they were the same age, picking between the two to start a team would be difficult for me. and i hold kobe in high regard. another factor is that people underestimate how great Bird was, that was another factor that lead me to favor the celts. he wasnt that athletic but he was a gritty obsessive winner who could ball. also McKale sp? was one of the best PF ever and is also over looked today. i would have him in my top two PF of all time.
as far as the spurs go i would still take them over the lakes in a seven game series, i also dont think the money line on that series would be that lop sided if they played tomorrow. partly because the celts exposed the lakes so much.
but next year the lakes will be better with Bynum, but so will the spurs. spurs tend to do well every other year if you look at history. i would like to see the celts repeat or the mavs with dirk and stack to get in the finals. Pierce needs more ring for people to appreciate how good he is, which is unfortunate.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
im not a spurs fan, in the nba i tend to follow players more than teams. when it comes to playoffs and finals i usually go for the veterans that havent won a ring. figure the young guys have ten years left. in this case Pierce and the gang were all ring-less plus they were the under dog, i made the mistake of thinking the lakes would take it in 6 and Pierce impressed me and proved me wrong. as much as i think kobe is the best player in the league if they were the same age, picking between the two to start a team would be difficult for me. and i hold kobe in high regard. another factor is that people underestimate how great Bird was, that was another factor that lead me to favor the celts. he wasnt that athletic but he was a gritty obsessive winner who could ball. also McKale sp? was one of the best PF ever and is also over looked today. i would have him in my top two PF of all time.
as far as the spurs go i would still take them over the lakes in a seven game series, i also dont think the money line on that series would be that lop sided if they played tomorrow. partly because the celts exposed the lakes so much.
but next year the lakes will be better with Bynum, but so will the spurs. spurs tend to do well every other year if you look at history. i would like to see the celts repeat or the mavs with dirk and stack to get in the finals. Pierce needs more ring for people to appreciate how good he is, which is unfortunate.

I agree the Celts exposed a need the Lakers have which is tough, physical rebounding presense.  I'm pretty sure Bynum is most of the solution although I would like to also see the addition one tough gritty veteran who adds something more off the bench (e.g. Kurt Thomas).  The Lakers exposed the Spurs need for a younger more athletic offensive presence (Parker could not do it alone).  It will be interesting to see in what direction they go.

As far as Pierce getting the recognition he deserves, I say better late than never.

body88

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
Word is the lakers are offering Posey a mid level contract. Celtics won't let him go  :D

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure Bynum is most of the solution although I would like to also see the addition one tough gritty veteran who adds something more off the bench (e.g. Kurt Thomas). 

Bynum will make a heck of a difference. and they do need a solid gritty vet like a PJ Brown or a Posey. Phils teams always had one, Rodman, Grant and such. they need someone who can show the euro player how to be tough, it cant be Kobe cause i think they feel for him its a natural talent.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
i hope he does play good and become a all-star.
i think he will be. i thought he was going to be a bust when he was drafted, but he kept improving.

body88

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
Bynum will make a heck of a difference. and they do need a solid gritty vet like a PJ Brown or a Posey. Phils teams always had one, Rodman, Grant and such. they need someone who can show the euro player how to be tough, it cant be Kobe cause i think they feel for him its a natural talent.

Yup - word is the lakers have already offered Posey a mid level contract.... Boston will have to match, and I think they will.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
Yup - word is the lakers have already offered Posey a mid level contract.... Boston will have to match, and I think they will.
I think Boston is one of the only teams in the east with a solid starting core and a deep failry deep bench. Detroit being the other, but they're in turmoil now i think, they're trying to shop Sheed i heard. Posey will be much more appreciated in Boston than in LA by the fans i think. LA fans are so fickle, no offense Midnite. but they arrive late and leave early to the games or only show up when they're winning.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
I think Boston is one of the only teams in the east with a solid starting core and a deep failry deep bench. Detroit being the other, but they're in turmoil now i think, they're trying to shop Sheed i heard. Posey will be much more appreciated in Boston than in LA by the fans i think. LA fans are so fickle, no offense Midnite. but they arrive late and leave early to the games or only show up when they're winning.

That's because of LA traffic actually.