Author Topic: Bush Rewords Security Agreement With Iraq To ‘Avoid’ Getting Congress approval  (Read 909 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/18/zebari-iraq-sofa/

And why should he have to?  Of course be they are all LIBS and don't know what's best!  Only BUSH does.  "

So fill er up!  And pay off this debt I incurred because i am retarded monkey", says BUSH.

The Bush administration is currently negotiating a long-term Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with the Iraqi government, which would codify “legal protections for U.S. military personnel and property in Iraq” after 2008, when a U.N. security mandate runs out. People in both Iraq and the United States have criticized the deal’s sweeping demands, including 58 permanent bases, “control of Iraqi airspace,” and immunity for U.S. troops and private contractors.

Because of these demands, Iraqi officials said they were likely to miss a July target for coming to an agreement. New remarks by Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari reveal, however, that U.S. negotiators have finally backed down and conceded that the estimated 160,000 foreign contractors in Iraq would no longer have immunity.

Additionally, the Bush administration has consistently insisted that it doesn’t need congressional approval for the deal. Yet it appears that this stance was nothing more than posturing, as officials are now reworking the agreement with new language in order to actually avoid going before Congress:

U.S. and Iraqi officials negotiating long-term security agreements have reworded a proposed White House commitment to defend Iraq against foreign aggression in an effort to avoid submitting the deal for congressional approval, Iraq’s foreign minister said yesterday.

The alternative under discussion will pledge U.S. forces to “help Iraqi security forces to defend themselves,” rather than a U.S. promise to defend Iraq, Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said. Although “it’s the other way around,” he said, “the meaning is the same, almost.”

As Center for American Progress Senior Fellow Lawrence J. Korb notes, traditionally, SOFAs provide a “framework for legal protections and rights while U.S. personnel are present in a country for agreed on purposes”; they do not, either directly or indirectly, pledge to defend a foreign government:

The fact that the administration does not intend to submit the agreement for congressional approval is a testament to their own recognition of how the broad the implications of this agreement are and what type of debate it would spark on Capitol Hill and in the country.

As ThinkProgress has noted in the past, this broad SOFA with Iraq may be the Bush administration’s roundabout way of authorizing war with Iran.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
The Bush administration is currently negotiating a long-term Status of Forces Agreement

58 permanent bases
control of Iraqi airspace
immunity for U.S. troops and private contractors.

The was isn't about bases, eh Beach Bum?  ;)

OzmO

• Getbig V
The was isn't about bases, eh Beach Bum?  ;)

Yeah it's getting silly now isn't it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Yeah it's getting silly now isn't it.

There was never self-doubt in the things i was saying 2.5 years ago.

I was called every name in the book.  But I was right about US firms cutting up the oil fields (hard to kick us out of those fields after two years when our companies have been drilling for 2 years and our military bases surround them).  I was right about the permanent bases.

And just watch.  I'm right about 911 too.

OzmO

• Getbig V
There was never self-doubt in the things i was saying 2.5 years ago.

I was called every name in the book.  But I was right about US firms cutting up the oil fields (hard to kick us out of those fields after two years when our companies have been drilling for 2 years and our military bases surround them).  I was right about the permanent bases.

And just watch.  I'm right about 911 too.

Sorry bro, not the helicopters with projectors

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Sorry bro, not the helicopters with projectors

nope.  just some white guys in ties who went to the soda machines that morning instead of shooting down planes as per protocol.  just some guys who gave 'circle in atlantic' orders to fighter pilots about to intercept pilots.  Just some guys who destroyed all the tape recordings of initial interviews with FAA guys on "what did you hear?"

just those guys.

OzmO

• Getbig V
nope.  just some white guys in ties who went to the soda machines that morning instead of shooting down planes as per protocol.  just some guys who gave 'circle in atlantic' orders to fighter pilots about to intercept pilots.  Just some guys who destroyed all the tape recordings of initial interviews with FAA guys on "what did you hear?"

just those guys.

Circle Atlantic was the protocol.  Nothing new.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Circle Atlantic was the protocol.  Nothing new.

bullshit.  they were appracohing DC at 1875 mph.  They had that bird dead on, as it took 48 minutes to get there after they realized it was hijacked on the U-turn and beeline for DC.

They sudddenly pulled back and dropped to 400 mph in the atlantic.  I wish you were here so I could smack you with my 911 Ommissions book, which details the precise details of the odd order, apologize to you for my anger, then maybe make some cupcakes as you read in horror.  :)

Actually, you're the guy who read the JFK debunk book, aren't you?  Check out the 911 Ommissions book by Griffin.  They break down each finding of the 911 report, cross-checked against rulebook protocol and media reports.  The commission really was full of glaring lies, and this book proves it.  No CT bs here... everything in it is fact

OzmO

• Getbig V
bullshit.  they were appracohing DC at 1875 mph.  They had that bird dead on, as it took 48 minutes to get there after they realized it was hijacked on the U-turn and beeline for DC.

They sudddenly pulled back and dropped to 400 mph in the atlantic.  I wish you were here so I could smack you with my 911 Ommissions book, which details the precise details of the odd order, apologize to you for my anger, then maybe make some cupcakes as you read in horror.  :)

Actually, you're the guy who read the JFK debunk book, aren't you?  Check out the 911 Ommissions book by Griffin.  They break down each finding of the 911 report, cross-checked against rulebook protocol and media reports.  The commission really was full of glaring lies, and this book proves it.  No CT bs here... everything in it is fact

Not bullshit.  The defense posture on the eastern seaboard was set up to address and attack from the east.  Not a hijacking with the intent to sue the plane as a weapon.   

Rule book protocol?   That is meaningless.  The protocol for defense of the USA from Russian attack from the atlantic in detail would still be classified.

I have no doubt how the 9/11 report has inaccuracies. 

Also, media reports are not fact.  So you can't take a report in the heat of the moment and call that factual when the possibility exists that they didn't have accurate information at the time of the report.

OzmO

• Getbig V
And i'll say it again.

They knew about it before hand.  It will never be proved. however.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
They knew about it before hand.  It will never be proved. however.

many believe it will be proven.  Those paragraphs of blacked-out text in the "bin laden determined to attack" memo that was rushed to condi 6 weeks before 911... well, they'll be unblacked eventually.

It might be in 40 years.  it might be on jan 9, 2009, when Congress plans to release a lot of info in agreement with the 911 commish to keep most of it classified until then in order to protect ongoing investigations.  I guess we'll see.

Knowing about it ahead of time is just as bad as steering the plane - especially when their job is to protect us.  They are paid to do it.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Where is Beach Buffoon now?

Doesn't he have some clever answers?
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
joeloco barely comes here now.
beach bum hides behind rolly eyes.

I like HH6 because he won't touch 911 (he knows military people get bitched at for that) but he admits the was is for oi, plain and simple.

The new brand of neocons here are different... they say "fck it, I want the oil and base, screw iraqis".  While cold-blooded, the honesty is refreshing :)  I like them better than BB and joeloco.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
joeloco barely comes here now.
beach bum hides behind rolly eyes.

I like HH6 because he won't touch 911 (he knows military people get bitched at for that) but he admits the was is for oi, plain and simple.

The new brand of neocons here are different... they say "fck it, I want the oil and base, screw iraqis".  While cold-blooded, the honesty is refreshing :)  I like them better than BB and joeloco.

True enough...
I hate the State.