Author Topic: Republic or empire: A National Intelligence Estimate on the United States  (Read 3695 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2007/01/0081346

Military Keynesianism: The imperial project is expensive. The flow of the nation's wealth—from taxpayers and (increasingly) foreign lenders through the government to military contractors and (decreasingly) back to the taxpayers—has created a form of “military Keynesianism,” in which the domestic economy requires sustained military ambition in order to avoid recession or collapse.

The Unitary Presidency: Sustained military ambition is inherently anti-republican, in that it tends to concentrate power in the executive branch. In the United States, President George W. Bush subscribes to an esoteric interpretation of the Constitution called the theory of the unitary executive, which holds, in effect, that the president has the authority to ignore the separation of powers written into the Constitution, creating a feedback loop in which permanent war and the unitary presidency are mutually reinforcing.

Failed Checks on Executive Ambition: The U.S. legislature and judiciary appear to be incapable of restraining the president and therefore restraining imperial ambition. Direct opposition from the people, in the form of democratic action or violent uprising, is unlikely because the television and print media have by and large found it unprofitable to inform the public about the actions of the country's leaders. Nor is it likely that the military will attempt to take over the executive branch by way of a coup.

Bankruptcy and Collapse: Confronted by the limits of its own vast but nonetheless finite financial resources and lacking the political check on spending provided by a functioning democracy, the United States will within a very short time face financial or even political collapse at home and a significantly diminished ability to project force abroad.
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
I assume ur rooting for this....
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Depends on what you mean by rooting...
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Its funny...the last 60 years are littered with books hopeing for, praying or predicting the fall of America...funny thing is their all in the bargin bin and we're still here. If u don't like America turn in your passport and renounce your citizenship.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
wait, he points to an article that identifies a problem and delivers a consequence if the problem runs unchecked, why on earth would your response be to ask if he's rooting for it?  Why on earth would you not assume his greater wish would be to avoid the consequence by addressing the problem?  Aren't you in essence just asking if he hates everything America is?  The outcome is better for everyone in the world if the problem is addressed rather than living the consequence.  Kind of a no brainer.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
wait, he points to an article that identifies a problem and delivers a consequence if the problem runs unchecked, why on earth would your response be to ask if he's rooting for it?  Why on earth would you not assume his greater wish would be to avoid the consequence by addressing the problem?  Aren't you in essence just asking if he hates everything America is?  The outcome is better for everyone in the world if the problem is addressed rather than living the consequence.  Kind of a no brainer.

Thanks Hugo. You hit the nail on the head. HH6's question was a bogey/non-sequitur.
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
The problem is that we seem to be to blame.....the guy us cut off from history. We don't operate ina vacuum and the other side does not either. We spent 60 years trying to offset the Soviet who were playing the same game. We have Islamists today. Its the same problem but the Soviets and us played by certain rules. The nutbags today, dont. We invaded one country to many...I don't see us running over eveybody else. Its funny nobody said shit in 2003.

hey decide..based on all ur current threads..I'd say u havea real problem with this country. First off we're not ever going to cut military spending so forget it. U want some BS social program instead..forget it. U want us to stop adventuring around the globe..tell the shitheads who hate us to stop. We aren't the root cause of all this crap.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
The problem is that we seem to be to blame.....the guy us cut off from history. We don't operate ina vacuum and the other side does not either. We spent 60 years trying to offset the Soviet who were playing the same game. We have Islamists today. Its the same problem but the Soviets and us played by certain rules. The nutbags today, dont. We invaded one country to many...I don't see us running over eveybody else. Its funny nobody said shit in 2003.

hey decide..based on all ur current threads..I'd say u havea real problem with this country. First off we're not ever going to cut military spending so forget it. U want some BS social program instead..forget it. U want us to stop adventuring around the globe..tell the shitheads who hate us to stop. We aren't the root cause of all this crap.
jesus you're wound up... ::)  I have a fucking problem with this country.  A lot of people do.  It's healty.  I also love this country.  Having problems with the country is a healthy function of democracy.  It does not equate to being anti-American ::)  You have a lot to learn HH6.  Open up.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Yeah..I have leaned alot ....over 16 years in every hellhole on the planet watching man's inhumanity to man and trying real hard to make sure the sheep in America stay safe. We aren't perfect..but we're better then most other places. I get sick of the America bashing on this board, most of which is done by folks who have'nt done a damm thing to make her a better place or to preserve her.
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

I don't hate the US, not in the slightest. I want to see changes that will take the country off the current, rather ruinous path. If you want to call that 'hatred' then, by all means. I have a feeling that talking to you is like talking to a wall. You hear what you want to hear and not what is being said. Maybe we will continue our military escapades until the country goes broke, maybe we will come to our senses. My position remains firm; I am opposed to empire; let the US compete through commerce and trade, not the barrel of a gun or a missile warhead. You seem to be a blind patriot, I am not. Therein lies the difference.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Actually I have done things to support my position. As an expat, I haven't paid US tax in over 10 years; that means they can't use my money to abuse and ruin; moreover since we have 'taxation without representation' in the US, I don't need to worry about not being represented there whilst the government wastes my tax money on useless Star Wars silliness, etc.
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Funny..since u don't pay taxes u really don't get a say do u. Commerce and trade.....unions and high taxes have made that near impossible. We don't build anything here. Blind patriot...nope sorry dude but i don't bash this country every thread.
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Funny..since u don't pay taxes u really don't get a say do u. Commerce and trade.....unions and high taxes have made that near impossible. We don't build anything here. Blind patriot...nope sorry dude but i don't bash this country every thread.

Not true, we build cluster bombs and all sorts of weapons; it's our greatest export.
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Wonderful weapon..drop cluster munitions and the enemy can't pass through an area....cover ur flank...cover ur rear... yep ur right Foreign military sales are a big money machine.
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Wonderful weapon..drop cluster munitions and the enemy can't pass through an area....cover ur flank...cover ur rear... yep ur right Foreign military sales are a big money machine.

And the cars we build suck...
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

You just going to keep bitching about everything we do? I heard our shoelace production is really shitty. Down with America!!!!  ::)

It's funny considering you couldn't even hack it here.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
You just going to keep bitching about everything we do? I heard our shoelace production is really shitty. Down with America!!!!  ::)

It's funny considering you couldn't even hack it here.

I CHOSE not to hack it there. Big difference.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
I CHOSE not to hack it there. Big difference.

From what it sounds like, you COULDN'T hack it there. Anyone bragging about saving $10k in Korea must have really been in the dumps in America.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
From what it sounds like, you COULDN'T hack it there. Anyone bragging about saving $10k in Korea must have really been in the dumps in America.

20k.

How many Americans save 20k a year? You really think tons of Americans do that? Show me some evidence. Americans are the worst savers in the world. I was living in Europe before Korea. Much like the US, it's tough to save much money in Europe but the standard of living is much greater.

Where are all these Americans saving thousands of G's a year?
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
20k.

How many Americans save 20k a year? You really think tons of Americans do that? Show me some evidence. Americans are the worst savers in the world. I was living in Europe before Korea. Much like the US, it's tough to save much money in Europe but the standard of living is much greater.

Where are all these Americans saving thousands of G's a year?

$20k? Holy shit. That's impressive. So you're saying that only people outside of America can save a WHOPPING $20k a year? Congrats on not hacking it here.  :D

Not really in the mood to argue with some idiot that has such blatant contempt for America. I can't really take anything you say seriously knowing you had to cut and run from here.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
$20k? Holy shit. That's impressive. So you're saying that only people outside of America can save a WHOPPING $20k a year? Congrats on not hacking it here.  :D

Not really in the mood to argue with some idiot that has such blatant contempt for America. I can't really take anything you say seriously knowing you had to cut and run from here.

And thank you for not offering up a single argument against what I have posted. It just shows your blind patriotism and lemming mentality.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
And thank you for not offering up a single argument against what I have posted. It just shows your blind patriotism and lemming mentality.

HH6 did a good enough job responding to you. You have no concept of foreign affairs and think America is the only country doing all of this. Just a sign of your blatant hatred for this country because it fucked you over. People who can't succeed and end up leaving said country usually end up blaming it for their failures.

You sound like an idiot.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
HH6 did a good enough job responding to you. You have no concept of foreign affairs and think America is the only country doing all of this. Just a sign of your blatant hatred for this country because it fucked you over. People who can't succeed and end up leaving said country usually end up blaming it for their failures.

You sound like an idiot.

I did not leave the United States for any other reason than my desire to experience other parts of the world and study foreign languages. That premise of yours is ridiculous.

Obviously many countries do many ill intended things. It would be nice if the US would offer a counterexample.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
I did not leave the United States for any other reason than my desire to experience other parts of the world and study foreign languages. That premise of yours is ridiculous.

Obviously many countries do many ill intended things. It would be nice if the US would offer a counterexample.

And why praytell, should we offer a counterexample? Enlighten me. Why should we play the nice guy and let Russia and China do as they want?

It's funny. You cry about noise pollution. Haven't heard you complain about China's massive human rights violations. And it's not like you can say, "Well, I'm American so I'm more concerned with my own country's actions." You're the guy that cut and run. You constantly bashing America while turning a blind eye to the massive human rights violations from other countries that blow our "noise pollution" claims out of the water doesn't go to far to show how much you actually care about anything but your anti-American stance.

You seem to have a terrible grasp of what goes on with winning wars and being the biggest superpower in the world.

"Counter example." Hilarious.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
And why praytell, should we offer a counterexample? Enlighten me. Why should we play the nice guy and let Russia and China do as they want?

It's funny. You cry about noise pollution. Haven't heard you complain about China's massive human rights violations. And it's not like you can say, "Well, I'm American so I'm more concerned with my own country's actions." You're the guy that cut and run. You constantly bashing America while turning a blind eye to the massive human rights violations from other countries that blow our "noise pollution" claims out of the water doesn't go to far to show how much you actually care about anything but your anti-American stance.

You seem to have a terrible grasp of what goes on with winning wars and being the biggest superpower in the world.

"Counter example." Hilarious.

China does not strive to portray itself as a moral exemplar. Apart from that as a concerned citizen of the USA I have more to say about my own country.
I hate the State.