Author Topic: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his  (Read 29230 times)

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
Re: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but Ali went to jail too.  Mike would be very frustrated with Ali just like he was with Holyfield.  Ali was very smart.  Mike would have been so pissed off by the time the fight started he would just go crazy and make mistakes.  Ali was very cool and very commanding in the ring.  Mike has proven many times he can't take a guy who can keep him away with a jab.  And Ali would throw 4 jabs in a heartbeat at Mike.  Mike would come in and Ali would either keep him away with a jab or clinch him.  Ali was a solid 6'3"  Even when I met him for the first time and we wrestled in the valet parking area I felt how solid he was.  He had very hard fists then too.  This is a debate that will go on forever and no one is going to convince the others either way.  And I am far from being a boxing expert (not even close) and even though I have met both guys and I think Mike is unreal I still think Ali would win because of his brains, ring savy, speed, agility and ability to go 15 rounds.  Mike destroys him on power but once Mike can't knock you out after a few good shots he gets frustrated and gives up.  Look at Holyfield, Douglas and who was the guy he literally quit fighting.  I really like Razor Roddick I thought he was really good but didn't go anywhere.

No, Ali never went to jail. He had his boxing license revoked thus he didnt step into a boxing ring for 3 years (arguably what would have been his prime).

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
No, Ali never went to jail. He had his boxing license revoked thus he didnt step into a boxing ring for 3 years (arguably what would have been his prime).

Oh okay I wasn't sure.  I knew he wasn't able to box.  And like you said that was during his prime

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2008, 01:40:58 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but Ali went to jail too.  Mike would be very frustrated with Ali just like he was with Holyfield.  Ali was very smart.  Mike would have been so pissed off by the time the fight started he would just go crazy and make mistakes.  Ali was very cool and very commanding in the ring.  Mike has proven many times he can't take a guy who can keep him away with a jab.  And Ali would throw 4 jabs in a heartbeat at Mike.  Mike would come in and Ali would either keep him away with a jab or clinch him.  Ali was a solid 6'3"  Even when I met him for the first time and we wrestled in the valet parking area I felt how solid he was.  He had very hard fists then too.  This is a debate that will go on forever and no one is going to convince the others either way.  And I am far from being a boxing expert (not even close) and even though I have met both guys and I think Mike is unreal I still think Ali would win because of his brains, ring savy, speed, agility and ability to go 15 rounds.  Mike destroys him on power but once Mike can't knock you out after a few good shots he gets frustrated and gives up.  Look at Holyfield, Douglas and who was the guy he literally quit fighting.  I really like Razor Roddick I thought he was really good but didn't go anywhere.

Brutal self-outage  ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
Brutal self-outage  ;D

Yes I see that now.  Well I meant his structure was solid.  Considering how old he was.  He was weighing 240 or so at the time

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »
Who would win? Could Ali live with this beast in the early rounds?
ali wouldnt have a snowballs chance in hell of beating tyson.they are two different breeds.

bench

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
Ali did go to jail for evading the draft due to his religous beleifs.

Anyone who saw Ali fifght would never think for a millisecond that Tyson,who beat a lot of nobodys in seconds flat could ever have taken Ali.

When Tyson fought Michael Spinks,who was a great fighter,Spinks just wasn`t the warrior that he was in his prime...........look up Spinks` record.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

Anyone who saw Ali fifght would never think for a millisecond that Tyson,who beat a lot of nobodys in seconds flat could ever have taken Ali.

When Tyson fought Michael Spinks,who was a great fighter,Spinks just wasn`t the warrior that he was in his prime...........look up Spinks` record.

Actually he didn't serve any time in jail.  He was fined $100,000 and given a five year sentance  which was overturned on appeal.  The process took over 3 years in which time he was not allowed to fight

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

I am still pissed about the Holmes - Spinks fight.  Both of em.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »
Ali got a 5 year jail sentence - SUSPENDED!

He never went inside for even one day!!!

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Frequent Question.

I think Ali/Frazier may give some insight, although I'm well aware that the Ali of 1971 was not the Ali of 1966 - his prime best (check
out his fight against Cleveland Williams).

Joe Frazier had similar physiques and fighting styles, but there are some clear differences:
1.) Tyson had KO punching power in both hands, plus a devasting upper-cut, which Frazier didn't have.  He was basically a one-punch
fighter (his left hook is primary weapon), and even when he hit you, he did not have one-punch KO power like Tyson
2.) Frazier didn't have Tyson's speed and was a slow starter.  He really didn't get going until about the 4th round, whereas with Tyson, that's when he would typically wear out.
3.) Frazier's heart and punch output was superior to Tyson's.  Frazier was a punching machine and would
throw punches for 15 rounds, even though he may hit a lot of arm and hip shots, those kind of shots worn down his opponents in later rounds.  
4.) As for chins, I think they were similar.  Frazier took a lot of shots from Ali, but Ali was not the hardest puncher, and when he did get in the ring with a hard puncher like Foreman, he didn't last 2 rounds.  Tyson took big shots from Douglass, Ruddock, and Lennox, but outside of Ruddock, I wouldn't say the other 2 were bone crushers.

As for Ali, his biggest weakness - even at his prime was that he dropped his right hand and could be caught with a left hook.  He showed this as an amateur and as a pro against the likes of Henry Cooper - a sub 200lb HW who almost knocked him out early in his career.  The left hook was a primary weapon of Frazier and Tyson, and I think Tyson would be in a better position to use his, because Ali would have to respect his other punches, whereas Ali only had to fear Frazier's left.

As for Ali taking Foreman's shots, if you look at that fight, he barely connected.  He threw a lot at the body, but he barely got a clean shot because Ali leaned into those loose ropes.  Plus Foreman throw long heavy punches where he needed to have room in order to get the full effect.  Tyson and Frazier were much better at throwing devastating punches at close range.  If you gave Frazier and Tyson those same opportunities to land body punches, I do not believe he could have survived, which is why I think Ali would not have fought the "rope-a-dope" against Tyson.  His best chance would have been to fight him as he did Liston - moving around, jabbing, quick combo's, in and out.

The Verdict: Tyson slightly.  It's like hitting the lottery though.  If he lands a big shot, then it's over - but the big question is "if"?

Agree with most of your analysis, however:

Boxers with good footwork give Tyson all types of problems.  A Cus D'Amato Tyson who would wait patientely, go after the body first, then throw the cross/hook/overhand would have fared better against Ali.  Ali could slip, bob, weave and take punishment.  His footwork allowed him to cut angles, get in, strike, then tie up or get out of range and blister opponents.  His will, jaw, and abiltiy to take punishment is legendary.  I don't think this would be a close fight.  Ali by sixth round TKO or KO. 

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »
Seeing as human cloning is scientifically possible...we could, theoretically, set the fight up for 2030.
O

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
Agree with most of your analysis, however:

Boxers with good footwork give Tyson all types of problems.  A Cus D'Amato Tyson who would wait patientely, go after the body first, then throw the cross/hook/overhand would have fared better against Ali.  Ali could slip, bob, weave and take punishment.  His footwork allowed him to cut angles, get in, strike, then tie up or get out of range and blister opponents.  His will, jaw, and abiltiy to take punishment is legendary.  I don't think this would be a close fight.  Ali by sixth round TKO or KO. 

Agreed, however Ali's weakness was power so the fights were rarely over as fast as you claim, it would've taken longer as it did with most of his fights.

As i've mentioned the closest comparisons would be Douglas-Tyson, since Douglas was for one fight a great boxer not dissimilar to Ali and thus a good proxy for Ali, and Foreman against Ali, as Foreman was an excellent proxy for Tyson. Douglas for that one fight just after his mother died finally finding motivation and realizing his potential as a great boxer not dissimal to Ali. He always had the physical part, and for that one fight he had motivation married with Ali's boxing skills, height and reach and see what happened.

Tyson never proved for the most part that he had the guts to stand in with a good fighter if the fight didnt end early, similar to Foreman. Foreman was just as awesome but also had the same weakness, a lack of endurance and guts to last 15 rounds when needed. Hollyfield's ear was bitten in order to end the fight he didn't want to be in, because as his ex-trainer said Tyson was essentially a coward when not able to be a bully. He was not mentally tough as he would've needed to be against great fighters.

Best examples of proven formulas to beat Ali were the first Frazier-Ali fight, before Frazier had been hit too much and before Ali used excessive holding that refs allowed him to get away with in subsequent fights without penalty, and Ken Norton, who in effect beat Ali 2 out of 3 fights despite the outcomes.

IronForever

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • HULK SMASH!
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
Agreed, however Ali's weakness was power so the fights were rarely over as fast as you claim, it would've taken longer as it did with most of his fights.

As i've mentioned the closest comparisons would be Douglas-Tyson, since Douglas was for one fight a great boxer not dissimilar to Ali and thus a good proxy for Ali, and Foreman against Ali, as Foreman was an excellent proxy for Tyson. Douglas for that one fight just after his mother died finally finding motivation and realizing his potential as a great boxer not dissimal to Ali. He always had the physical part, and for that one fight he had motivation married with Ali's boxing skills, height and reach and see what happened.

Tyson never proved for the most part that he had the guts to stand in with a good fighter if the fight didnt end early, similar to Foreman. Foreman was just as awesome but also had the same weakness, a lack of endurance and guts to last 15 rounds when needed. Hollyfield's ear was bitten in order to end the fight he didn't want to be in, because as his ex-trainer said Tyson was essentially a coward when not able to be a bully. He was not mentally tough as he would've needed to be against great fighters.

Best examples of proven formulas to beat Ali were the first Frazier-Ali fight, before Frazier had been hit too much and before Ali used excessive holding that refs allowed him to get away with in subsequent fights without penalty, and Ken Norton, who in effect beat Ali 2 out of 3 fights despite the outcomes.

Ali had 37 KO's and most of them were all in round 7 or before.  Ali gets as much $200,000 an appearance and at his peak of "celebrity" after boxing he was doing more than 200 appearances a year.  Do the math on that one.

Of all the people I have ever met in mylife meeting him was the most exciting and memorable.  And the biggest thrill is when we met up 3 months after the first time and he saw me standing in the crowd and he waved me over and then got his wife to come over to say hi to me.  That was in Miami at the Fountianbleu  Hotel.  It awesome that he remembered me and his wife telling me how much he liked me

Moosejay

« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
Ali had 37 KO's and most of them were all in round 7 or before.  Ali gets as much $200,000 an appearance and at his peak of "celebrity" after boxing he was doing more than 200 appearances a year.  Do the math on that one.

I read that Ali recently sold his phrase business..."The Greatest" to some company for $50 million.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
I read that Ali recently sold his phrase business..."The Greatest" to some company for $50 million.

He has very good people around him and people who have been there for many years.  They watch out for him. 

Moosejay

« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
He has very good people around him and people who have been there for many years.  They watch out for him. 

Yes, must be so. I read some years ago there was money problems, if true at all, but it seems if it were it is not the case anymore.

You do know that Larry Holmes has done famously for himself, $ wise.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »
Yes, must be so. I read some years ago there was money problems, if true at all, but it seems if it were it is not the case anymore.

You do know that Larry Holmes has done famously for himself, $ wise.

I think the guys from back in that era have done okay for themselves later in life.  Some of them haven't though.  The Spinks brothers, Jerry Quarry.  But the Big three have Foreman, Holmes and Ali.

Moosejay

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
I think the guys from back in that era have done okay for themselves later in life.  Some of them haven't though.  The Spinks brothers, Jerry Quarry.  But the Big three have Foreman, Holmes and Ali.

How aboiut Frazier...he seems very bitter, IMO.

Foreman=Grill=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
Back in my day we had the best heavyweights in the history of boxing.  Definitely the most colorful.  Ernie Shavers was downright scary as hell and huge.  I think a boxer who didn't get the recognition and got ripped off in a couple fights was Renaldo Snipes.  Ken Norton to was strong as hell and could punch.  Broke Ali's jaw early in the fight and Ali still fought the entire fight.  Godamm I can't think of his name and I met him a few times, he was the big white guy with the huge head and later became an actor.  He knew karate.

Moosejay

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2008, 10:50:08 PM »
Back in my day we had the best heavyweights in the history of boxing.  Definitely the most colorful.  Ernie Shavers was downright scary as hell and huge.  I think a boxer who didn't get the recognition and got ripped off in a couple fights was Renaldo Snipes.  Ken Norton to was strong as hell and could punch.  Broke Ali's jaw early in the fight and Ali still fought the entire fight.  Godamm I can't think of his name and I met him a few times, he was the big white guy with the huge head and later became an actor.  He knew karate.

Tex Cobb

How about Mike Weaver? He was jacked.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »
Tex Cobb

How about Mike Weaver? He was jacked.

YES!  Man I can't believe I forgot his name.  He used to come to the club I bounced at and where Max Rep worked.  Is this Mike Weaver.  I am not sure but I pt his name

Moosejay

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »
YES!  Man I can't believe I forgot his name.  He used to come to the club I bounced at and where Max Rep worked.  Is this Mike Weaver.  I am not sure but I pt his name

Looks like Weaver...altho head used to sport a bit larger 'fro.

Remember Boecrusher Smith? One of the first, if not the first, guys to go the distance with Tyson. HE was jacked, and ripped to.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
Looks like Weaver...altho head used to sport a bit larger 'fro.

Remember Boecrusher Smith? One of the first, if not the first, guys to go the distance with Tyson. HE was jacked, and ripped to.

Yeah that's weaver.  He beat my boy Big John Tate in 1980.

Now Weaver is working in a Post Office.    :-\

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2008, 03:14:05 AM »

hahahahaha

A small selection of great phrases from this 'Muslim' poster boy:

"i wish one of you guys had children so i could kick them in the fvcking head or stomp on their testicles"

"i won't talk nice to you, i'll talk about fornicating with you or letting you suck my dick"

"i'll fvck you till you love me f@ggot"

"i normally don't do interviews with women unless i fornicate with them, so you shouldn't talk anymore unless you wanna......you know."

"i want his heart, i wanna eat his children. Praise be to Allah" hahahaha

poster boy for Islam !!!!

Religion of hate indeed
175lbs by 31st July