Author Topic: Scientist's anthrax case lawsuit settled for $2.8 million  (Read 3571 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Scientist's anthrax case lawsuit settled for $2.8 million
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
Good for him.  They ruined that man's life. 

From Bill Mears
CNN Senior Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A former Army scientist who was named a "person of interest" in the deadly 2001 anthrax attacks has reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with the Justice Department.

Steven Hatfill sued former Attorney General John Ashcroft and the department in 2003, claiming his privacy was violated when his name was leaked to the media in connection with an investigation into the biological attacks in the eastern United States.

Five people were killed and 17 became seriously ill in the attacks.

Hatfill, a former Army bioweapons researcher, has steadfastly denied involvement in the attacks and was never charged in the investigation.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, department officials said Steven Hatfill will receive a one-time payment of $2.825 million and a $150,000 annuity.

"The government failed us, not only by failing to catch the anthrax mailers, but by seeking to conceal that failure," a lawyer for Hatfill said Friday. "Our government did this by leaking gossip, speculation and misinformation to a handful of credulous reporters."

The government would not admit liability in connection with Hatfill's claims.

Beginning in October 2001, anthrax-laced letters arrived at the offices of U.S. Sens. Tom Daschle of South Dakota and Patrick Leahy of Vermont and at television network news offices in New York.

Two U.S. Postal Service employees in Washington, an employee at American Media Inc. in Boca Raton, Florida, a 94-year-old woman in Oxford, Connecticut, and a New York hospital supply room worker died of exposure to anthrax.

Ashcroft publicly named Hatfill as a person of interest. In his lawsuit, the scientist claimed other government officials leaked inaccurate and inflammatory information about him to reporters.

"I am not the anthrax killer," he said in an August 2002 news conference, one of the few times he has commented publicly. His attorneys said Hatfill would not comment on the settlement.

After Hatfill was designated a "person of interest," he lost his job at Louisiana State University, where he was helping train first-responders to handle a bioterrorism attack, and had his apartment searched three times.

Other scientists who worked at government laboratories, such as Fort Detrick in Maryland, say they also came under unfair suspicion.

A federal judge put the lawsuit on hold in 2002 at the request of the government, which said the investigation was at a critical stage.

Though at least two dozen FBI agents conducted more than 9,000 interviews in the case, investigators told CNN privately in 2006 the case was stone cold.

The FBI had hoped to use science to trace the source of the anthrax, a biological spore that even in small amounts can prove deadly and can be easily transmitted through the air.

The Ames strain identified in the 2001 attacks was commonly used in U.S. government labs. Scientists said creating a "weapons grade" form of anthrax is a complex process, requiring extensive professional expertise.

The killer or killers have not struck since the initial attacks, and no arrests have been made.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/27/anthrax.hatfill/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Scientist's anthrax case lawsuit settled for $2.8 million
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »
Good for him.  They ruined that man's life. 

From Bill Mears
CNN Senior Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A former Army scientist who was named a "person of interest" in the deadly 2001 anthrax attacks has reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with the Justice Department.

Steven Hatfill sued former Attorney General John Ashcroft and the department in 2003, claiming his privacy was violated when his name was leaked to the media in connection with an investigation into the biological attacks in the eastern United States.

Five people were killed and 17 became seriously ill in the attacks.

Hatfill, a former Army bioweapons researcher, has steadfastly denied involvement in the attacks and was never charged in the investigation.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, department officials said Steven Hatfill will receive a one-time payment of $2.825 million and a $150,000 annuity.

"The government failed us, not only by failing to catch the anthrax mailers, but by seeking to conceal that failure," a lawyer for Hatfill said Friday. "Our government did this by leaking gossip, speculation and misinformation to a handful of credulous reporters."

The government would not admit liability in connection with Hatfill's claims.

Beginning in October 2001, anthrax-laced letters arrived at the offices of U.S. Sens. Tom Daschle of South Dakota and Patrick Leahy of Vermont and at television network news offices in New York.

Two U.S. Postal Service employees in Washington, an employee at American Media Inc. in Boca Raton, Florida, a 94-year-old woman in Oxford, Connecticut, and a New York hospital supply room worker died of exposure to anthrax.

Ashcroft publicly named Hatfill as a person of interest. In his lawsuit, the scientist claimed other government officials leaked inaccurate and inflammatory information about him to reporters.

"I am not the anthrax killer," he said in an August 2002 news conference, one of the few times he has commented publicly. His attorneys said Hatfill would not comment on the settlement.

After Hatfill was designated a "person of interest," he lost his job at Louisiana State University, where he was helping train first-responders to handle a bioterrorism attack, and had his apartment searched three times.

Other scientists who worked at government laboratories, such as Fort Detrick in Maryland, say they also came under unfair suspicion.

A federal judge put the lawsuit on hold in 2002 at the request of the government, which said the investigation was at a critical stage.

Though at least two dozen FBI agents conducted more than 9,000 interviews in the case, investigators told CNN privately in 2006 the case was stone cold.

The FBI had hoped to use science to trace the source of the anthrax, a biological spore that even in small amounts can prove deadly and can be easily transmitted through the air.

The Ames strain identified in the 2001 attacks was commonly used in U.S. government labs. Scientists said creating a "weapons grade" form of anthrax is a complex process, requiring extensive professional expertise.

The killer or killers have not struck since the initial attacks, and no arrests have been made.

what a crock of shit, the man is as guilty as Michael and OJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »
LOL @ the anthrax... biggest inside job since... well, 3 weeks before the anthrax...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
Bush = the original pre-911 mindset 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
lol.  The paranoid minds at work again.  Another sinister government conspiracy. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
lol.  The paranoid minds at work again.  Another sinister government conspiracy. 

it was the govts own anthrax used in the attacks, dummy.

the records were destroyed by the FBI just before they were to be matched to a specific sample to save them the embarassment to the world.

The people targeted were anti-patriot act.  Whoever mailed out the anthrax sure wanted the patriot act passed.  In fact, it was mailed to the capitol and senate halls to shut down discussion of the act, so it had to be passed without being read.  it was sent to the two top media and senate critics of the bill.  and it was sent to the guy who printed indecent pics of a bush family member.

Duh.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
I don't blame you for ignoring these facts and resorting to an ignorant cartoon.

You don't understand them, and you believe that only other nations do such terrible things.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
Since we don't know who perpetrated this attack it would seem arrogant or just stupid to automatically rule out anything - including an inside job

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
Nice.

you'd think they would have done a *little* more investigating into who managed to steal a bunch of their anthrax and creat terrorism.  instead, they chose to destory the sample strains to prevent a match, then just let the whole thing quietly fade, then pay the fall guy $2.8 million bucks a few years later.

But hey, it got the patriot Act passed, right?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »
Since we don't know who perpetrated this attack it would seem arrogant or just stupid to automatically rule out anything - including an inside job

Correct.  ESPECIALLY because they admit it was a govt strain that was used, and they admit where it came from.  It WAS an inside job - someone with inside access to the lab mailed it.  Whether they were follwoing order, or just being a terrorist, I have no clue.   You'd think it would take no time at all to narrow down the potential list of suspect and give them polygraphs.  Only a handful of people had access to it.

yet they chose not to do that.  Odd, huh?  When you look at motive... who gained the most from the anthrax attack?  The people who wanted to pass the patriot act... those in the bush admin.  Weird they would invade another country over 911, but won't even give polygraphs to fed employees (who have to take polys just to GET the job as feds, and can be ordered to take one at any time for any reason).   

Yet the investigators never asked them.  Weird, huh?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 06:36:54 PM »
lol.  The big bad government strikes again.  How do they always manage to plan, carry out, and get away with these sinister conspiracies?  We got us some gullible CT nuts in this great country.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
lol.  The big bad government strikes again.  How do they always manage to plan, carry out, and get away with these sinister conspiracies?  We got us some gullible CT nuts in this great country.   

Re-read what I said.  We have no clue if it was just some lone bad guy, or some group effort.

Facts are facts.  A substance belonging to the govt, with access to only a very few, was used to do bad things.  All the avenues to investigation into the small group of suspects were not taken, and no one was ever charged.

You like to throw insults, but you don't like to talk evidence.  I guess it's easier to just look at clouds all day and tell us what you see, instead of facing reality.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »

yet we're  "loosing in Iraq" Bush is an idiot...what have I missed
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
yet we're  "loosing in Iraq" Bush is an idiot...what have I missed

Tell me about it.  Bush the idiot carried out multiple mass conspiracies, some involving other countries.  How does the man juggle all of these plots to kill Americans? 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Beach Bum, do you deny that the Anthrax was a government strain?  ???
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »
Beach Bum, do you deny that the Anthrax was a government strain?  ???

. . .

. . .

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »

Why won't you answer questions?

I saw this yesterday on CSPAN and you came to mind. HAHA

S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:28 AM »
Why won't you answer questions?

I saw this yesterday on CSPAN and you came to mind. HAHA

Depends on who is asking and what they're asking.  :)  Your answer is in my last post.  Read it again. 

I didn't watch the clip.  What does it say? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 01:10:40 AM »
haha...  as paranoid as thinking OJ did it.  There's actually more pointing to this guy.  That it is an inside job is actually established fact.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 08:21:28 AM »
haha...  as paranoid as thinking OJ did it.  There's actually more pointing to this guy.  That it is an inside job is actually established fact.

You think OJ didn't do it?   :o

It is an established fact that the government was behind the anthrax attacks?  Another getbig exclusive.  lol . . .   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
You think OJ didn't do it?   :o

It is an established fact that the government was behind the anthrax attacks?  Another getbig exclusive.  lol . . .   
why are you guys so good at taking one thing a person says and rewording it to say something completely different. :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
why are you guys so good at taking one thing a person says and rewording it to say something completely different. :-\

Don't know who "you guys" refers to, but I was asking a question.  Answer it if you like, ignore it, whatever.