Author Topic: Rack Pulls  (Read 4755 times)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Rack Pulls
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
Machines certainly have their place – just not in every place.

Exactly.

sorry fellas im just nto interested at all in "functional strength"...   so whether or not the range of motion correlates to something i would find out of the weight room; i really dont give a shit.

smith deads are the best movement for lat thickness, especially INNNER lats (christmas tree area) i have ever don.   so ill keep doing them.

You are delusional. First of all, it's NOT the best movement....good yes, but not the best. Secondly...functional strength, a Smith Machine and our discourse do not correlate here.
We simply brought up the risk-to-benefit ratio of using a Smith Machine, and now you interject with Functional Strength? What's that about? Plane of motion can relate to functional strength, but in this case it's out of context.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
how do you know whats the best movement for me? ive tried them all and itw roks the best for me. tnothing you can say will change that.  you cant think what works for you works for everyone.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 09:34:24 AM »

Now you, again, change the course conversation.
You can revert back to your know-it-all status whenever you want.
You can talk about "what's best for you" all you want.

There is a common thread through humans that adapt. You won't find anyone building a massive chest, or lower lats like Kai Greene with certain exercises. You can say "that's what works for me" all you want. Maybe you think it does. But there is commonality to every human on earth.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »
 TONS of professionalbodybuilders do smith deads, dummy. go watch some training videos.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
TONS of professionalbodybuilders do smith deads, dummy. go watch some training videos.

Ummmm AGAIN. I'm not saying DO NOT DO THEM. I'm saying there are better options out there.
Remember, a bad training session is better than no training session at all. If you hurt yourself doing an exercise exclusively on the Smith Machine that is what is going to work for you.
Brilliant colloquy we are having....::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 10:03:15 AM »
I think it's funny at one time candi is talking about deadlift not being natural, then the next he's talking about smith deads being the best........ ;D

what is "natural' about barbell deadlifts?  i dont see many barbells and flat lifting plat forms out in nature that man would have been using while we were evolving.. :D

smith deads are the best movement for lat thickness, especially INNNER lats (christmas tree area) i have ever don.   so ill keep doing them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
I think it's funny at one time candi is talking about deadlift not being natural, then the next he's talking about smith deads being the best........ ;D

you need to learn how to dicepher an argument  ;)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

You need to learn how to have an intelligent argument after you've deciphered it. ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
You need to learn................
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
I'm loving rack pulls at the moment. Current working set is 255kg and is still easy. I'm pulling from just above the knee. Don't know when this will peak, hopefully in and around 280kg. Only bad thing is that is tears the shit out of your hands  :(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »
they have their place but i wouldn't use them as my only means of pulling unless there was something medically wrong with you to prevent you from performing a proper deadlift.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
they have their place but i wouldn't use them as my only means of pulling unless there was something medically wrong with you to prevent you from performing a proper deadlift.
No? i was wondering about these my deads have kinda hit a sticking point and was thinking about doing these instead of deads for a month or so, is that a bad idea wicked?

Ive heard candizzle say he loved smith machine deads, I dont think i would ever do these, it seems that alot more stress would be put on the lower back and seems like it would turn into more of a SLDL or good morning. but whatever floats your boat and sets your sail.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »
i really think deadlifts in general are overrated for bodybuilders.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »
the smith has it's place especially if you train alone and don't always have access to a power rack.

that being said I only use it for pressing movements where my safety is at risk and I would never use it for deadlifts...that just doesn't make sense to me for some reason.
nasser=piece of shit

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »
i really think deadlifts in general are overrated for bodybuilders.
really? i did them when i first started working out(my dad made sure i did all the basics) and then didnt do them for probably 6 yrs or so (working out on and off) but when i got serious i still didnt do them and noticed that my back was lagging and I started hitting deads pretty good probably been about 2 or 3 yrs now only about a year or so seriously and they have brought my back up tremendously.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
i agree magoo, i dont think deads are that awesome of a bak movement like people say they are.

but, just like the flat bench and the squat...they are just compound movements wher eyou can go super heavy and alot of athletes use them for raw strength build up... so bodybuilders who come from sport backgrounds (alot of bodybuilders!) always push that you need to stick to those movements.

for a natural bodybuilder i think they are important, but not so much for MOST bodybuilders.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
i agree magoo, i dont think deads are that awesome of a bak movement like people say they are.

but, just like the flat bench and the squat...they are just compound movements wher eyou can go super heavy and alot of athletes use them for raw strength build up... so bodybuilders who come from sport backgrounds (alot of bodybuilders!) always push that you need to stick to those movements.

for a natural bodybuilder i think they are important, but not so much for MOST bodybuilders.

the stronger the trunk....

the stronger the branch's !

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 07:46:16 AM »
Most men will find that having the bar a little above the knee's yields the best results, both safety and power wise. If into BB'ing, than no need to start regular DL's from the floor. Another position would be mid thigh combined with the above the knee position. May also consider Romanian DL's, off a set of pins, as a good lat/back developer. There is not any leg push, but plenty of lower back/glute/ham action.

With Dl's, the upper body is holding the bar in a semi-stable position while legs do the actual pushing off. With the aid of the hips/glutes/hams of course. You are not pulling with the arms or anything else in the upper body. Which can show the effects of just holding a heavy weight as a muscle/power developer.

DL's, in any form, are a terrific back/trap/lat movement. But not meant for everyone. Gives a dense and thick total back mass that most exercises can not offer. Trouble is, a lot of people have a problem with the knee's getting in way of the moving bar (that and general sloppy style and using too much weight  when not ready for it). Force to lean too far forward, trying to avoid touching the knee's, only opens the back up for more stress and over extending the lower area....equals injury's. Starting the lift from a higher position, above the knee's, may solve this problem for a lot of folks.

I do think the Smith Machine does have a place in BB'ing, but with lighter stuff. Regular DL's (and squats & BP's) would not fit well with it. When doing full ROM BB DL's there is a natural "S" curve to the lift (as with most compound exercises), like gears shifting position. The Smith Machine does not allow that, only a fixed or straight line of motion. Negative force on the joints, tendons and ligaments doing a heavier exercise. Though a Smith Machine may show some merit when partial or short range movements are done. Good Luck.
F

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 11:27:01 AM »
really? i did them when i first started working out(my dad made sure i did all the basics) and then didnt do them for probably 6 yrs or so (working out on and off) but when i got serious i still didnt do them and noticed that my back was lagging and I started hitting deads pretty good probably been about 2 or 3 yrs now only about a year or so seriously and they have brought my back up tremendously.

i honestly think if you want to wreck your total back, do heavy-ass rows. get some wrist straps and a belt and do rows ronnie-style. take the bar down below your knees and do whatever it takes to make it hit your belly. that did more for back development than deads ever did, in my opinion.

not gospel to be sure, but just something i recommend.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »
i honestly think if you want to wreck your total back, do heavy-ass rows. get some wrist straps and a belt and do rows ronnie-style. take the bar down below your knees and do whatever it takes to make it hit your belly. that did more for back development than deads ever did, in my opinion.

not gospel to be sure, but just something i recommend.
for some reason my BB rows suck ass poundage wise, but then again ive never really done them with any consistancy so maybe thats why. I have been doing DB rows for a little while now and have seen an improvement in my back so maybe ill put rowing first for a while and maybe do some lighter deads at the end.