Author Topic: McCain gets praise, no endorsement, from Grahams  (Read 782 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain gets praise, no endorsement, from Grahams
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »
June 29, 2008
McCain gets praise, no endorsement, from Grahams
Posted: 04:35 PM ET

From CNN's Steve Brusk

From left, Billy Graham, John McCain and Franklin Graham meet Sunday in North Carolina.
(CNN) – John McCain spent 45 minutes meeting with the Rev. Billy Graham and his son Franklin at Graham’s North Carolina home Sunday morning.

The meeting took place at Graham’s home in Montreat, North Carolina, known as Little Piney Cove, about 25 miles outside Asheville. The house is a mountaintop retreat near Black Mountain in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The campaign says Rev. Graham, though quite ill, sat up in the chair during the meeting and participated in the talks with McCain and Franklin.

Advance notification of the meeting did not mention the 89-year-old Rev. Graham would be taking part.

Singer Ricky Skaggs, who was already scheduled to have lunch with the Grahams, came early and met McCain.

Franklin Graham issued a written statement a short time after the meeting. He said, “My father and I were pleased to have an opportunity to meet and visit with Sen. John McCain today. Sen. McCain’s office had requested a meeting in recent months and we appreciate the effort he made to travel to my father’s home. The senator and I both have sons currently serving in the military, and also have a common interest in aviation. I was impressed by his personal faith and his moral clarity on important social issues facing America today."

The younger Graham, the president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse international relief, said, “"We had an opportunity to pray for the senator and his family, and for God's will to be done in this upcoming election."

"While as a Christian minister I am not endorsing a candidate for president, I do endorse the responsibility of men and women of faith everywhere to vote and to be involved in the political process. I encourage people to vote for the candidate at every level who best represents their values and convictions, and then to pray for those in authority over us as required in Scripture.”

McCain, speaking with reporters after the meeting as he boarded his plane, called the get-together “a very excellent conversation.” Asked if he expected the Grahams’ votes, McCain responded, “Oh I don’t know. I didn’t ask for their votes.”

The Arizona Senator said he asked for the meeting because “they have known my family, they have known of me for many years. They’re great leaders of this nation, I appreciate the opportunity to, to visit with them and I am very grateful for the time they spent with me.”

The meeting came as the McCain campaign last week reached out to conservatives in Ohio. McCain Friday said the meeting was not part of an effort to reach out to conservatives. He said, "No, he is a man whose family is respected, incredibly respected, and I consider it a privilege to have the opportunity to meet with him. I think the Graham family really transcends politics in America. Billy Graham was an adviser to every president, so…there certainly is no political aspect to the meeting that I will have.”

Rev. Graham spoke of meeting McCain’s father, Admiral John McCain, when he was commander of the Pacific theater during the Vietnam War. Their meeting happened while Senator McCain was being held as a prisoner of war. Franklin Graham said in the statement, “Admiral McCain invited my father to come see him in Honolulu and they got on their knees and prayed for John during his captivity; and did so again on a return trip. He expressed his gratitude for the senator’s long and brave service to our nation."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/06/29/mccain-gets-praise-no-endorsement-from-grahams/

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: McCain gets praise, no endorsement, from Grahams
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »
Good old Billy. Hope he's doing better.

I think he's going to be sitting out this race with only a wink at McCain and that is about it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
Smart decision by McCain to meet with him after initially rejecting Graham's invitation. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Smart decision by McCain to meet with him after initially rejecting Graham's invitation. 

Anti-semitism
In 1994, H.R. Haldeman's diaries revealed that Graham had taken part in conversations speaking of Jewish domination of the media. The allegations were so at odds with Graham's public image that most did not believe his account, and Jewish groups paid little attention. Graham released a statement denying that he talked "publicly or privately about the Jewish people, including conversations with President Nixon, except in the most positive terms." He said, "Those are not my words."[14]

In 2002, however, newly declassified "Richard Nixon tapes" confirmed remarks made by Graham to President Nixon three decades earlier. Captured on the tapes, Graham agreed with Nixon that Jews control the American media, calling it a "stranglehold" during a 1972 conversation with Nixon.[24] "This stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain,"[25] said Graham, agreeing with Nixon's comments about Jews and their influence in American life. Later, Graham mentions that he has friends in the media who are Jewish, including A.M. Rosenthal, saying they "swarm around me and are friendly to me." But, he tells Nixon, "They don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to this country."[24] These remarks were considered highly controversial by some Jewish leaders such as Abraham Foxman, who characterized them as anti-Semitic.[14]

When the tapes were publicly released, Graham apologized for his remarks, stating, "[A]lthough I have no memory of the occasion, I deeply regret comments I apparently made ... They do not reflect my views, and I sincerely apologize for any offense caused by the remarks,"[26] and "If it wasn't on tape, I would not have believed it. I guess I was trying to please... I went to a meeting with Jewish leaders and I told them I would crawl to them to ask their forgiveness."[27] According to Newsweek magazine, "[T]he shock of the revelation was magnified because of Graham's longtime support of Israel and his refusal to join in calls for conversion of the Jews."[27]

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
Yawn.   ::)  Billy Graham is a great American.  The next president, whether it is Obama or McCain, would be wise to accept his counsel like so many previous presidents have done. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »
I'll take an anti-semite who has apologized for his remarks over a pederast who thinks his penis can "cure" gayness in young boys