Author Topic: Singer sings "Black National Anthem" crowd, media, and gov outraged  (Read 4599 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
 :o
Wow is this why Obama won't raise his hand to his heart when singing the "United States National Anthem"?

All united under the same flag. Her reasons for singing it were very very misplaced.

Did You Even Know there is a "Black National Anthem?"
By rightwingscottie Posted in Breaking News — Comments (17) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »
Did you even know there was a Black National Anthem that is different from the Star Spangled Banner? A controversy is breaking out in Denver as a singer, Rene Martin, was introduced to the crowd at Mayor John Hickenlooper's State of the City address to sing the national anthem. What she sang was "Lift Every Voice and Sing" by James Weldon Johnson, sometimes referred to as the Black National Anthem. Words here: http://www.black-network.com/anthem.htm

I think the most offensive thing is that the proper national anthem was never sung.

Coverage has been virtually blacked out in the Denver media market, which at the time I write this, there is no mention of it on the websites of The Denver Post, The Rocky Mountain News, or any of the 3 major TV sites.

UPDATE: The Denver Media is beginning to cover the story. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/16762609/detail.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Singer sings "Black National Anthem" crowd, media, and gv outraged
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
And u know the Obama folks just went Oh shit.....
L

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
Re: Singer sings "Black National Anthem" crowd, media, and gov outraged
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
It's OK the weak minded liberals will stash this manure under the mantle of tolerance and freedom of speech/choice.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
It was ok or not a huge deal for me because I come to expect stupid crap from the Dems, but then I read why...... >:(

As Denver dignitaries gathered Tuesday for Mayor John Hickenlooper's State of the City address, City Council president Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

But that's not what she did.

Instead, Marie performed the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which also is known as the "black national anthem."

She sang the words to the tune of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

The proceedings then continued, without the customary singing of the national anthem, leaving some in the audience bewildered.

Marie said she made the change without informing the mayor's office, which had expected her to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner."

"I pulled a switcheroonie on them," Marie said later.

She

explained that she decided months ago to switch the lyrics because she will no longer sing the national anthem.
She said that she made the decision after a Russian broadcaster interviewed her and asked her what it was like to be an American.

At that moment, she said, she realized that as an African-American she at times feels like a foreigner in her home country.

"And I was going to correct her," Marie said. "And I realized I didn't feel like an American, and that bothered me a great deal."

Marie, a popular jazz singer and actress who performs with the Shadow Theatre Company, said she never informed the mayor's office she planned to switch the lyrics because she didn't think they would let her go through with it.

Hickenlooper said he had talked to Marie about the situation after her performance.

"She was very apologetic," the mayor said. "She meant no disrespect, and she was singing an artistic expression she thought represented love and hope for her country."

Others were less charitable.

"I was surprised," said Hancock, who said he thought Marie should have cleared her plans with the mayor's office. "But you go on with the show."

By Tuesday afternoon, Hancock had received several telephone calls from

The anthem, written by James Weldon Johnson and first performed in 1900, was intended to commemorate nearly 40 years of freedom for blacks in America on the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birthday.

The song, which appears in many church hymnals including the United Methodist hymnal, is an expression of hope and faith, and an appreciation and lamentation for the suffering of prior generations.

Still, Councilman Chris Nevitt said the replacing of the national anthem's lyrics with those written by Johnson "was the weirdest damn thing."

And Councilman Charlie Brown took to the airwaves, appearing on several radio stations to discuss the issue.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem," Brown said. "I was shocked. It just puts everyone in an awkward position."

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
She

explained that she decided months ago to switch the lyrics because she will no longer sing the national anthem.
She said that she made the decision after a Russian broadcaster interviewed her and asked her what it was like to be an American.

At that moment, she said, she realized that as an African-American she at times feels like a foreigner in her home country.

"And I was going to correct her," Marie said. "And I realized I didn't feel like an American, and that bothered me a great deal."

Awsome ::)
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

Hi Michelle Obama

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:08 PM »
That is pretty rude

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
I heard they called Borat to sing the anthem next time.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »

While "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing" is indeed a beautiful and wonderful song, I'm one of those folks who feels that it has its place.   I'm not sure that using it to make a 'surprise' political statement was the right thing to do. 

Ms. Marie was asked - and agreed - to perform the national anthem.  That is what she obligated herself to do. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Outrageous. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »
She's a professional musician who chose to violate her contract.

She should be fired.  I don't care what her reasons are.  She was hired to sing song X and chose to sing Song Y.  That's it.  The song might be good, bad, whatever, it doesn't matter.  She didn't do what she agreed to do.

It has nothing to do with Obama, unless he commented on it.  Did he?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
She's a professional musician who chose to violate her contract.

She should be fired.  I don't care what her reasons are.  She was hired to sing song X and chose to sing Song Y.  That's it.  The song might be good, bad, whatever, it doesn't matter.  She didn't do what she agreed to do.

It has nothing to do with Obama, unless he commented on it.  Did he?

Obama camp would not comment  ::)

The move was apparently calculated to show solidarity for a Barack Obama victory and a separatist view of black culture, but the nakedly transparent show of support does Obama no favors. It plays into a stereotype about Obama backers that they are divisive, and provokes unfair whispers that Obama himself may be secretly unpatriotic.

The song invokes an allegiance to “our native land” (Africa) and “our God,” meant to distinguish a God for black people from the one worshipped by inclusive Christians of all colors. Both of these themes are found in Black Liberation Theology and the Trinity United Church that Barack Obama called home for 20 years.

Rene Marie’s move is politically obtuse, for it continues to paint Obama as a ‘black candidate’ at a time when he is trying to move beyond the bitter divisiveness of the Democratic nominating process. This unfortunate view of the nominee was promoted by Bill Clinton in South Carolina, and reinforced by the friends and associates of Obama himself, most notably Louis Farrakhan and Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

Rene Marie is a jazz singer of little note who has a history of artistic controversy. She had an epiphany several years ago when interviewed by a Russian journalist. She was asked what it was like to “be an American” when she realized that she felt like a foreigner. She began referring to herself as an African-American and has refused to sing patriotic songs since that time.

Ms. Marie is also an activist who devotes a entire page on her website to the Jena Six controversy. On that page she endorses the idea that America is a racist culture.

FYI (One of the boys in the Jena 6 is locked up in a Dallas jail cell, as he moved from Louisiana to Dallas and got into some major trouble in an assault case, as he and another group of "gangsters" jumped a man, another one of the Jena 6 is involved in a drug case)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
I suppose some white supremacists could burn some crosses and tell us they support mccain.

Would that reflect at all upon mccain?  No.

This shouldn't reflect on Obama either.

You can attack obama for a lot of credible reasons.  He's sneaky, he's shrewd, manipulative, deceptive.  But to attack him because some idiot chick sings the wrong song... well, it undermines your credibility on the other issues which actually are under his control/actions.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »
While "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing" is indeed a beautiful and wonderful song, I'm one of those folks who feels that it has its place.   I'm not sure that using it to make a 'surprise' political statement was the right thing to do. 

Ms. Marie was asked - and agreed - to perform the national anthem.  That is what she obligated herself to do. 

Agree 100%

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »

Fist you can't relate this to Obama so don't  ::)  That's just retarded and you guys are really getting desperate saying this stuff.

Second, look at this Video.  I agree, this stupid bitch had no right... tar and feather the bitch.

Third, WTF?  Where was this outrage?  They listened and then applauded :o 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »
Ur right it has no connection to Obama but i would imagine they would like this to go away.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »
Fist you can't relate this to Obama so don't  ::)  That's just retarded and you guys are really getting desperate saying this stuff.

No one related it to Obama excepts his nuthuggers, hmmmm. Maybe the Obamers see a connection.

I raised the question is this why Obama doe snot hold his hand to his heart when the nations REAL "National Anthem" is played

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »
Ur right it has no connection to Obama but i would imagine they would like this to go away.
exactly, it won't stop people from using it on Obama just like you have seen here so of course you'd want it to go away.  But I do have to say, this bitch had no right to do what she did.  Fuck her.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
No one related it to Obama excepts his nuthuggers, hmmmm. Maybe the Obamers see a connection.

I raised the question is this why Obama doe snot hold his hand to his heart when the nations REAL "National Anthem" is played
No, I'm sure you going after Obama in the first sentence of this thread was not intended in any way to marry the story in some way to Obama  ::)  Obama's name shouldn't have even been brought up, you went there first line.  At least own it when it's that obvious.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
So now Obama will be automatically connected to any black nut job?

You guys just automatically assume he's connected?

Pathetic. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
So now Obama will be automatically connected to any black nut job?

You guys just automatically assume he connected?

Pathetic. 

Yes, it seems fair.

We'll have to connect mccain to any white nut or racist as well.  Fair is fair.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
more fodder to bring back slavery!