Author Topic: B&A Show has been cancelled!  (Read 35010 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: B&A SHOW CANCELED!!!
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

Ben clearly lied about the prize money and proceeded to mislead competitors and then 3 weeks from the event he cancels it.

A lot of competitors now have non-refundable airline tickets and hotel accommodations which is problably around 2k apiece.   

Ben needs to take responsibility for his actions for the scam he pulled. 

I never thought I'd say this, but for once, I agree with Vince. 

Ben always struck me as a nice guy, but I never believed the big money talk. 

Truthfully, I don't think that many people were planning to enter, but that's just my take.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »
A lot of competitors now have non-refundable airline tickets and hotel accommodations which is problably around 2k apiece.   

Ben needs to take responsibility for his actions for the scam he pulled. 

Ben did his best to put on a show, but failed.   You did your best to make sure he failed.    You even wrote that your actions contributed to his failure.    So should you also take responsibility for costing the competitors "around 2k apiece"?

JohnnyVegas

Re: Does cancellation of B&A show = 'Victory' for Goodrum??
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »

The USA event is much bigger than what it was prior to Jon Lindsey taking the reigns.  It may be the second largest show however no show is successful without promoting the event heavily every single year and bringing in new sponsors as supplement companies come and go.

Jon does take a risk every year in hosting the event.  Running a show isn't as easy as you think and nothing is garranteed.  That's what people thought about the AAU Mr America, the North American Championships, and of course the Masters Mr Olympia.  No promotion is garranteed

The USA is NOT much bigger now than it was 20 years ago, and to the extent it is BIGGER that is 100% due to the fact that they made it a NATIONAL QUALIFIER.

Jon faces little to no risk in putting on the USA. Even a trained circus chimp like you could do it, not as good, but you could do it. I could do it. Ron A. could do it. Shit, even Squadfather could do it (with Derek's help  ;D ).

Before Jon started promoting shows in San Diego we had a certified MORON running them  (and the NPC So. Dist.) and making money off them (CC Sanders). So it is not hard to make money off of NPC BBing shows-and an NPC NATIONAL QUALIFIER would almost be impossible to lose money on.

Jon, like Mike Glass before him, knows how to run a good show, and do a good job at it-but most people who tried could too-it's not rocket science.

As for the AAU Mr. America, that show was run by the NPC for YEARS, as for the Masters O, that show was not around for 75 years prior, not a good comparison, same goes for the NA.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »
Jon, like Mike Glass before him, knows how to run a good show, and do a good job at it-but most people who tried could too-it's not rocket science.

Jon does a tremendous job, but I strongly disagree that 'anyone could do it'.

The crew are the backbone of any successful show, but it takes a lot of work and attention to detail to coordinate all the moving parts that go into even the smallest of shows. 

Moosejay

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »
No it is not.   Ben failed at a business venture.  You're a petty busybody who is trying to look important.  There is no honor in calling all of Ben's sponsors to get them to withdraw.  There is no honor in calling the office of the governor of another state to get them to rescind their letter.   You remind me of an 8 year old girl tattling (with glee) on her 10 year old brother.

did he actually do this?

correct, no honor...shameful

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:34 PM »
it takes a lot of work and attention to detail to coordinate all the moving parts that go into even the smallest of shows. 

Yeah, I'm sure getting the brain-dead men in thongs to walk onto the stage, stop at the proper place, pose, and get the fuck off the stage is quite the complex task indeed.

::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

Moosejay

« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »
The USA is NOT much bigger now than it was 20 years ago, and to the extent it is BIGGER that is 100% due to the fact that they made it a NATIONAL QUALIFIER.

Jon faces little to no risk in putting on the USA. Even a trained circus chimp like you could do it, not as good, but you could do it. I could do it. Ron A. could do it. Shit, even Squadfather could do it (with Derek's help  ;D ).

Before Jon started promoting shows in San Diego we had a certified MORON running them  (and the NPC So. Dist.) and making money off them (CC Sanders). So it is not hard to make money off of NPC BBing shows-and an NPC NATIONAL QUALIFIER would almost be impossible to lose money on.

As for the AAU Mr. America, that show was run by the NPC for YEARS, as for the Masters O, that show was not around for 75 years prior, not a good comparison, same goes for the NA.

jv...i agree with much of what you say...but not here-running successful shows is hard....most fail and run boring, mildly lucrative or money-losing shows

Moosejay

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure getting the brain-dead men in thongs to walk onto the stage, stop at the proper place, pose, and get the fuck off the stage is quite the complex task indeed.

actually...it is....considering the day of the show thay are virtually 'brain dead', don't listen to or hear the head judge, etc

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
OK, let me re-phrase this;

Most people, who are not brain dead (lol), have some degree of time management and multi tasking skills, could do an established NPC BBing show with not much of a problem.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »
actually...it is....considering the day of the show thay are virtually 'brain dead', don't listen to or hear the head judge, etc

I'm pretty sure "brain dead" is their normal condition, show or not.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Moosejay

« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure "brain dead" is their normal condition, show or not.

could be...can never figure how some don't even know what number they are wearing

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
could be...can never figure how some don't even know what number they are wearing

We should put together an NPC regional show and call it Mr. GetBig, and let Ron be a sponsor and have it in So Cal.

That would be cool because of the built in BBing base-get all the cool board members to fly out (get a good hotel for everyone on the cheap) and hang!

We could have Squad and Moose as Guest Posers, and I am sure someone would bring a camera and get a pic of me and then I could post it.

Who's in???  8)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »
haha
"NO Bull    ●  No Politics    ●  No Name Judging
Best Man, Best Woman and Best Figure Girl will win!!!"

:-\ :-\ :-\
http://www.internationalclassicslasvegas.com/
A

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »

1) Venue rental

2) Venue staff management (you have to use their people for certain things)

3) Judges' travel and lodging

4) Communicating last-minute updates to your event staff

5) Event insurance

6) Hospitality for judges and athletes (food & drink)

7) Advertising - national and local

8) Media coordination

9) Ensuring venue staff are able to readily ID your VIPs

10) Making certain awards and any other premiums are delivered on time before the show

That's just a short list of items that have nothing to do with dealing with the competitors.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »
1) Venue rental

5) Event insurance

8) Media coordination

10) Making certain awards and any other premiums are delivered on time before the show

That's just a short list of items that have nothing to do with dealing with the competitors.
That's why you hire people to work, and just supervise.  ;)
A

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
1) Venue rental

5) Event insurance

8) Media coordination

1) Venue rental - Local Middle School for all local San Diego shows put on by Jon Lindsey, few undred MAX

2) Venue staff management (you have to use their people for certain things)- No staff for local middle school- $0

3) Judges' travel and lodging- All local judges for local show, no cost for travel or lodeing, but must pay for the judgng$50-$75 per judge MAX.

4) Communicating last-minute updates to your event staff- no cost, not hard

5) Event insurance- Maybe for the USA, but not local shows, and even for the USA minor costs (how much danger is there in posing to music??)

6) Hospitality for judges and athletes (food & drink)- nothing for local show, for a national show like the USA, maybe $50/day per diem for food, $75 per night x2 nights for hotel.

7) Advertising - national and local--- local show send out posters to local gyms and clubs-costs= printing posters, national show like USA magazine ads for 1-2 months-cost could be comped for tickets.
8) Media coordination

9) Ensuring venue staff are able to readily ID your VIPs - no cost, not hard at all, in fact I doubt VIP's would have trouble finding their seats on their own.

10) Making certain awards and any other premiums are delivered on time before the show- simple, not hard at all.

That's just a short list of items that have nothing to do with dealing with the competitors. - True, but this is basically just busy work, and as long as you're organized you're cool.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »

Sorry Rob but the competitors who paid entry fees are not getting their money back..... ;) 

Vince, Why are your boyfriends eyes on the side of his head? Is he an inbreed or something?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2008, 12:08:20 AM »
Sorry Rob but the competitors who paid entry fees are not getting their money back..... ;) 

How do you know this?

It's been 3 days.  he said checks would be mailed within 10 days.

Don't you think you should at least wait 12 or 13 days (that's 10 days plus mailing time) to see if the checks arrive?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »
show did not make any fiduciary sense from the get-go.....likely no death threats...just paucity of $$$$$$$$

flex wheeler school of 'canard & prevarications'

Roy Hobbs: "Well the only thing I know about the dark is you can't see in it."

The Judge: "Hmph.  A pure canard."

Roy Hobbs: "A what?"

The Judge: "A prevarication."

Roy Hobbs: "What's that?"

The Judge: "A lie."

Moosejay

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2008, 07:05:56 AM »
Roy Hobbs: "Well the only thing I know about the dark is you can't see in it."

The Judge: "Hmph.  A pure canard."

Roy Hobbs: "A what?"

The Judge: "A prevarication."

Roy Hobbs: "What's that?"

The Judge: "A lie."

ha...guess I don't use words that are too big for folks here, afterall

Moosejay

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2008, 07:10:20 AM »
We should put together an NPC regional show and call it Mr. GetBig, and let Ron be a sponsor and have it in So Cal.

That would be cool because of the built in BBing base-get all the cool board members to fly out (get a good hotel for everyone on the cheap) and hang!

We could have Squad and Moose as Guest Posers, and I am sure someone would bring a camera and get a pic of me and then I could post it.

Who's in???  8)

:-X

Moosejay

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2008, 07:17:50 AM »
1) Venue rental

anywhere from 2K to 10K

correct...often union...gotta pay 'em, too

to a limit

no biggie there

5) Event insurance

this is a must....cost a couple of hundred for million/3 million coverage...venues won't rent to you without it...nuts if you don't have it

negligable

could be substantial...if you do nice posters...can costs thousands if you do enough of em and mail em

8) Media coordination

should cost nothing but takes savvy to get mainstream media to cover your show-need angle

naturally

yes...can be a pain in the ass

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »

I wasn't even talking about the costs, so much as the hassle of having to deal with all those different elements.

And anyone who's ever dealt with union personnel in Vegas or NYC (specifically those 2 cities) knows exactly what I'm saying. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
Ben did his best to put on a show, but failed.   You did your best to make sure he failed.    You even wrote that your actions contributed to his failure.    So should you also take responsibility for costing the competitors "around 2k apiece"?

No, because I told the competitors not to compete in this event from the very beginning. 

Ben hosting his show in the same venue and same weekend as the USA is a scumbag move.  Those who chose to participate in the event and not listen to me unfortunately have to learn the hard way from their wallets.

With the amount spent on training and airline tickets, you could have bought your own bike or put a down payment on it. 
A

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »

No, because I told the competitors not to compete in this event from the very beginning. 

Ben hosting his show in the same venue and same weekend as the USA is a scumbag move.  Those who chose to participate in the event and not listen to me unfortunately have to learn the hard way from their wallets.

With the amount spent on training and airline tickets, you could have bought your own bike or put a down payment on it. 

Vince, seriously, how many people do you think were registered to compete in this contest?

I bet it was less than 25, including crossovers.