Author Topic: Pentagon extends tour of 2,200 Marines in Afghanistan.............  (Read 1151 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon has extended the tour of 2,200 Marines in Afghanistan, after insisting for months the unit would come home on time.
The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which is doing combat operations in the volatile south, will stay an extra 30 days and come home in early November rather than October, Marine Col. David Lapan confirmed Thursday.

Military leaders as recently as Wednesday stressed the need for additional troops in Afghanistan. Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has repeatedly praised the work of the 24th MEU in fighting Taliban militants in Helmand Province.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, however, has repeatedly said he did not intend to extend or replace the U.S. Marines in Afghanistan, calling their deployment there an extraordinary, one-time effort to help tamp down the increasing violence in the south.

Asked about the possibility of an extension in early May, Gates said he would "be loath to do that." He added that "no one has suggested even the possibility of extending that rotation."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
they're probably pretty happy to get the news.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
We are no where near over extended.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
they're probably pretty happy to get the news.

I'm sure their wives and little kids are more thrilled.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Thats an extra 1000 bucks.....they're Marines they'll be fine.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Yeah that an extra 1000 bucks per month over their redeployment date. Dude, they're Marines, its what they do. They were ready for it I'm sure.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Yeah that an extra 1000 bucks per month over their redeployment date. Dude, they're Marines, its what they do. They were ready for it I'm sure.

Oh, I thought you just meant one extra thousand.
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
They did 6 months so I would have to check that. It may only be after 1 year. I know that my buddy with the 173rd was going to be able to chrome out his hog because they stayed a few extra months. Most guys plan for it. Yes it sucks but....it comes with the job.
L

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
I did an extra 23 months upon request of the Marines.  One of the best decision I have ever made. 

Semper Fidelis!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: Pentagon extends tour of 2,200 Marines in Afghanistan.............
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
I did a tour in Bosnia and at about month 11 we invaded Kosovo..or whatever that was....we got another 6 months. I missed the 15 month extension in Afghanistan by 15 days. Semper fi dude...0311.. 91-96
L

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Re: Pentagon extends tour of 2,200 Marines in Afghanistan.............
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:37:15 AM »
I did a tour in Bosnia and at about month 11 we invaded Kosovo..or whatever that was....we got another 6 months. I missed the 15 month extension in Afghanistan by 15 days. Semper fi dude...0311.. 91-96

Spoken like a true jarhead!