Author Topic: Condoleezza Rice Says She's `Proud' of Decision to Invade Iraq  (Read 3469 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Condoleezza Rice Says She's `Proud' of Decision to Invade Iraq

By Janine Zacharia

July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she's ``proud'' of the U.S. decision to wage the Iraq war and insisted that the world is not more dangerous than it was when George W. Bush took office.

``We're now beginning to see that perhaps it's not so popular to be a suicide bomber. We're beginning to see that perhaps people are questioning whether Osama Bin Laden ought to really be the face of Islam,'' Rice, 53, said in an interview to be broadcast this weekend on Bloomberg Television's ``Conversations with Judy Woodruff.''

``And I am proud of the decision of this administration to overthrow Saddam Hussein,'' said Rice, who was Bush's national security adviser at the time of the March 2003 invasion. As of yesterday, 4,107 U.S. soldiers died in Iraq and more than 30,000 were wounded. She said the Iraq war has been ``tougher than any of us really dreamed.''

Rice, who backs the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Arizona Senator John McCain, said she ``thought it was great'' when the Democratic race came down to a woman and a black man. ``I didn't think it was surprising,'' she said.

People abroad are ``fascinated'' by Illinois Senator Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, Rice added when asked what effect Obama's candidacy is having around the world.

``But I'll tell you something. Ultimately, whoever is elected president of the United States will represent the United States, not as a black president or as a woman president or as a black secretary of state or as a woman secretary of state, but the United States of America,'' Rice said.

. . .

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aIefxPxr_Gw8&refer=worldwide

Purge_WTF

Re: Condoleezza Rice Says She's `Proud' of Decision to Invade Iraq
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »
   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »
well, we do have what Bush hopes will now be 58 permanent bases.  And our fingers all over the oil management, in DOLLARS! 

It's like a new Saudi Arabia, really.  This was the PNAC goal of this administration, and they have accomplished it, maginificently.  The defense spending was high, we have new bases and oil infrastructure in Arabia.  We have Saudi Arabia II.  This was their plan, and they did it.  The Bush Presidency was a success.  All our gossip about approval ratings, etc matters naught in the bigger scheme of things.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:24:13 AM »

``And I am proud of the decision of this administration to overthrow Saddam Hussein,'' said Rice, who was Bush's national security adviser at the time of the March 2003 invasion. As of yesterday, 4,107 U.S. soldiers died in Iraq and more than 30,000 were wounded. She said the Iraq war has been ``tougher than any of us really dreamed.''
. . .

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aIefxPxr_Gw8&refer=worldwide

The Army released it assesment of the invasion and more importantly the Occupation last week and seems that the Bush administration was totally unprepared for what to do after the initial invasion.   Here's what you get when you have a "FAITH BASED" Commander in Chief:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/washington/29army.html?partner=rssnyt

“The Army, as the service primarily responsible for ground operations, should have insisted on better Phase IV planning and preparations through its voice on the Joint Chiefs of Staff,” the study noted. “The military means employed were sufficient to destroy the Saddam regime; they were not sufficient to replace it with the type of nation-state the United States wished to see in its place.”

The report focuses on the 18 months after President Bush’s May 2003 announcement that major combat operations in Iraq were over. It was a period when the Army took on unanticipated occupation duties

A big problem, the study says, was the lack of detailed plans before the war for the postwar phase, a deficiency that reflected the general optimism in the White House and in the Pentagon, led by then-Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, about Iraq’s future, and an assumption that civilian agencies would assume much of the burden.

“I can remember asking the question during our war gaming and the development of our plan, ‘O.K., we are in Baghdad, what next?’ No real good answers came forth,” Col. Thomas G. Torrance, the commander of the Third Infantry Division’s artillery, told Army historians

A fundamental assumption that hobbled the military’s planning was that Iraq’s ministries and institutions would continue to function after Mr. Hussein’s government was toppled.

L. Paul Bremer III, who replaced Jay Garner, the retired lieutenant general, as the chief civilian administrator in Iraq, issued decrees to disband the Iraqi Army and ban thousands of former Baath Party members from working for the government, orders that the study asserts caught American field commanders “off guard” and, in their view, “created a pool of disaffected and unemployed Sunni Arabs” that the insurgency could draw on.

Some of General Franks’s moves also appeared divorced from the growing problems in Iraq. Before the fall of Baghdad, Col. Kevin Benson, a planner at the land war command, developed a plan that called for using about 300,000 soldiers to secure postwar Iraq, about twice as many as were deployed.[/b]

But that was not what General Franks and the Bush administration had in mind. In an April 16 visit to Baghdad,

“In line with the prewar planning and general euphoria at the rapid crumbling of the Saddam regime, Franks continued to plan for a very limited role for U.S. ground forces in Iraq,” the report says.

The next month, General Franks directed General McKiernan, then the senior officer in Baghdad, to leave Iraq, along with the staff of his land war command, which had helped plan the invasion and had overseen the push to Baghdad.

A new headquarters would be established to command the military forces in Iraq and was to be led by Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez. He had led the First Armored Division into Iraq before being promoted and picked to succeed General Wallace as the head of the Army’s V Corps, which was to serve as the nucleus of the newly established command.

When Gen. Jack Keane, the vice chief of staff of the Army, learned of the move, he was upset. General Keane had helped General McKiernan assemble his headquarters, which had long been focused on Iraq and had more high-ranking officers than V Corps, which had been deployed from Europe. General Keane assumed that General McKiernan’s headquarters would oversee what was fast becoming a troubled occupation.

“I think we did not put the best experienced headquarters that we had in charge of that operation,” General Keane said in an interview with Army historians. “It took us months, six or seven or eight months, to get some semblance of a headquarters together so Sanchez could at least begin to function effectively.”

General Keane told the historians that he raised his concerns at the time with Lt. Gen. John P. Abizaid, who had been picked to succeed General Franks as the head of Central Command.

“I said, ‘Jesus Christ, John, this is a recipe for disaster,’ ” General Keane told Army historians. “I was upset about it to say the least, but the decision had been made and it was a done deal.”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
Bush admits he never consulted Donal Rummy, Sec of Defense, before ordering the Iraq invasion.

Bush also admits he did consult God greatly.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

By Janine Zacharia

July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she's ``proud'' of the U.S. decision to wage the Iraq war and insisted that the world is not more dangerous than it was when George W. Bush took office.

ROTFLMAO

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
She's right about the world being a safer place since Dubya took office.  Saddam and his sons are dead.  North Korea has caved.  Iran is trying to prove it isn't developing nuclear weapons.  Libya fell in line.  Afghanistan no longer plays host to Al Qaeda.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »
She's right about the world being a safer place since Dubya took office.  Saddam and his sons are dead.  North Korea has caved.  Iran is trying to prove it isn't developing nuclear weapons.  Libya fell in line.  Afghanistan no longer plays host to Al Qaeda.   

We are in a war.  American soldiers are dying everyday, terrorists attacks increased, we live under the thread of terrorists attacks. Iran will develop nuclear weapons, it's only a matter of time.  Saddam was never a threat.

I wouldn't call it safer, I'd call it potentially more dangerous.......since ASS-HAT took over. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
We are in a war.  American soldiers are dying everyday, terrorists attacks increased, we live under the thread of terrorists attacks. Iran will develop nuclear weapons, it's only a matter of time.  Saddam was never a threat.

I wouldn't call it safer, I'd call it potentially more dangerous.......since ASS-HAT took over. 

Definitely safer.  No more 911s, plus everything else I said is pretty much undisputed. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Definitely safer.  No more 911s, plus everything else I said is pretty much undisputed. 

Yes, what you said is true.  But they don't mean much in relation to the world being safer.  Iraq is a more dangerous place since Saddam was removed.  Iran is now a bigger threat to our interests than before Iraq.  Afghanistan is not fully stable.  We are near over extended and our general question whether or not we can adequately respond to another major conflict.   Russia and China are lining up to profit from any of our unsolved messes. 

Also, N. Korea will be a problem again soon.   At some point the cookies we are giving the mice will either run out or lose their effect.  About the only thing significant in your statements are on Libya.  But that can argued that they were pretty much held impotent before BUSH. 

Fact is, the world is far more dangerous now than it was pre BUSH.   Not that this is all BUSH's fault aside from the wrong decision to invade Iraq with too few troops and a pipe dream of a after war plan that's taken us 5 years to this point after "mission accomplished" in 3 weeks.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
Yes, what you said is true.  But they don't mean much in relation to the world being safer.  Iraq is a more dangerous place since Saddam was removed.  Iran is now a bigger threat to our interests than before Iraq.  Afghanistan is not fully stable.  We are near over extended and our general question whether or not we can adequately respond to another major conflict.   Russia and China are lining up to profit from any of our unsolved messes. 

Also, N. Korea will be a problem again soon.   At some point the cookies we are giving the mice will either run out or lose their effect.  About the only thing significant in your statements are on Libya.  But that can argued that they were pretty much held impotent before BUSH. 

Fact is, the world is far more dangerous now than it was pre BUSH.   Not that this is all BUSH's fault aside from the wrong decision to invade Iraq with too few troops and a pipe dream of a after war plan that's taken us 5 years to this point after "mission accomplished" in 3 weeks.

I disagree.  Iraq is no longer a threat to its neighbors, including Israel.   

There is much greater scrutiny on Iran and I doubt they would be trying so hard to convince the world that they're not trying to develop nuclear weapons if we hadn't taken Saddam out.

Before 911 Afghanistan was hosting the terrorist group that attacked us on our soil.  Not the case anymore.  That's an improvement. 

North Korea is less of a threat today than eight years ago. 

The fact that the war has been grossly mismanaged is a separate issue and doesn't change the above facts.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
I disagree.  Iraq is no longer a threat to its neighbors, including Israel.   

Iraq wasn't a threat to their neighbors.  Sanctions left them unable to carry out and sustain any kind of offensive and the US would have never let them do anything.  The idea Iraq was a threat was a popular mantra recited by politicians to feed the fears of the less informed.
There is much greater scrutiny on Iran and I doubt they would be trying so hard to convince the world that they're not trying to develop nuclear weapons if we hadn't taken Saddam out.

Doesn't matter what they are trying to convince anyone of.  It's what they are capable of doing and what they are actually doing. 
And why is there greater scrutiny?  Maybe because they are more potentially dangerous.
Before 911 Afghanistan was hosting the terrorist group that attacked us on our soil.  Not the case anymore.  That's an improvement. 

I agree.  But RICE's comment wasn't about Afghanistan it was about Iraq.  And AQ could have been so much farther put out if we hadn't took our eye off the ball to invade Iraq on false intel.

North Korea is less of a threat today than eight years ago. 

8 years ago was there capability to launch missiles greater then it is today?  They are a mouse with a cookie.  Very temporary. 

The fact that the war has been grossly mismanaged is a separate issue and doesn't change the above facts. 
Had Iraq been manage properly the world would be a safer place starting with Iraq.  It is the issue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
Iraq wasn't a threat to their neighbors.  Sanctions left them unable to carry out and sustain any kind of offensive and the US would have never let them do anything.  The idea Iraq was a threat was a popular mantra recited by politicians to feed the fears of the less informed.
Doesn't matter what they are trying to convince anyone of.  It's what they are capable of doing and what they are actually doing. 
And why is there greater scrutiny?  Maybe because they are more potentially dangerous.
I agree.  But RICE's comment wasn't about Afghanistan it was about Iraq.  And AQ could have been so much farther put out if we hadn't took our eye off the ball to invade Iraq on false intel.

8 years ago was there capability to launch missiles greater then it is today?  They are a mouse with a cookie.  Very temporary. 
Had Iraq been manage properly the world would be a safer place starting with Iraq.  It is the issue.

Saddam subsidizing suicide bombers in Israel made him a threat to at least one of his neighbors.  The fact we didn't know what he had or was trying to obtain and had demonstrated the capacity to use WMDs made him a threat to everyone else. 

Are you one of those who downplayed the Iran threat when there was talk of war?  If so, sounds inconsistent with your position that Iran is a major threat.  I know how difficult it is for you to credit Bush for anything, but it really is hard to deny that Iran's posture has changed pretty dramatically in the past eight years. 

Rice's comment was about the world:   "the world is not more dangerous than it was when George W. Bush took office."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
Rice's comment was about the world:   "the world is not more dangerous than it was when George W. Bush took office."

Can anyone list the WORLD terrorist attacks from 1999, compared with 2007?

Let's see if there were more attacks/deaths under Clinton's last year, or Bush's last year.

My money is on WAY more now, but let's see the numbers.  Anyone? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
Saddam subsidizing suicide bombers in Israel made him a threat to at least one of his neighbors.  The fact we didn't know what he had or was trying to obtain and had demonstrated the capacity to use WMDs made him a threat to everyone else. 

Subsidizing suicide bombers somehow made them strap bombs to themselves and walk into a train station?  He supported those against Israel, we support Israel.  BFD.   Not hardly something to go invade for considering many other countries have their hands dirty in similar ways and are probably far more of a threat.  Let's take Lebanon.  Are they a threat to their nieghbots too?  Should we invade them too?  How about Egypt?  Syria?  That's weak logic and disproportionate justification.

WMD's?  Even if he had them what was he gping to do with them?   why would he do something with WMD's?  What could he hope to accomplish?   Not a dam thing as one false move would have meant his removale from power which is the last thing he'd want or choose.

All of this makes him a non-threat.  Except to those who refuse or have the inability to see the BIG picture.

Are you one of those who downplayed the Iran threat when there was talk of war?  If so, sounds inconsistent with your position that Iran is a major threat.  I know how difficult it is for you to credit Bush for anything, but it really is hard to deny that Iran's posture has changed pretty dramatically in the past eight years.

Iran is more of a threat now, ONLY because of what we have to lose from them capitalizing from our failures in Iraq, becoming the major power in the area, AND that there nuclear progression is inevitable.   Had we not been in Iraq, we'd only be dealing with one of those issues.

Rice's comment was about the world:   "the world is not more dangerous than it was when George W. Bush took office."

The world is far more Dangerous since BUSH took office.  It's not all his fault, But the invasion of Iraq made it more dangerous. 

Rice is only spewing the party mine.  Or she's just delusional. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
Subsidizing suicide bombers somehow made them strap bombs to themselves and walk into a train station?  He supported those against Israel, we support Israel.  BFD.   Not hardly something to go invade for considering many other countries have their hands dirty in similar ways and are probably far more of a threat.  Let's take Lebanon.  Are they a threat to their nieghbots too?  Should we invade them too?  How about Egypt?  Syria?  That's weak logic and disproportionate justification.

WMD's?  Even if he had them what was he gping to do with them?   why would he do something with WMD's?  What could he hope to accomplish?   Not a dam thing as one false move would have meant his removale from power which is the last thing he'd want or choose.

All of this makes him a non-threat.  Except to those who refuse or have the inability to see the BIG picture.

Iran is more of a threat now, ONLY because of what we have to lose from them capitalizing from our failures in Iraq, becoming the major power in the area, AND that there nuclear progression is inevitable.   Had we not been in Iraq, we'd only be dealing with one of those issues.

The world is far more Dangerous since BUSH took office.  It's not all his fault, But the invasion of Iraq made it more dangerous. 

Rice is only spewing the party mine.  Or she's just delusional. 

Yes, I think the fact Saddam gave financial rewards to the families of suicide bombers gave the bombers an incentive to commit acts of terrorism resulting in the murder of innocent civilians.  That has now stopped.  I'm sure the people of Israel would not say "BFD" to that.  And the issue on that point wasn't whether sponsoring terrorism justified the war; it was whether one of his neighbors (i.e., part of the world) is now safer.  That's really undeniable. 

Had we not invaded Iraq I believe Iran would have been much more aggressive in trying to obtain WMDs.  The fact we rolled in and took Saddam out had to have a major impact on Iran.  I don't think it's a coincidence at all that they are now trying to prove they're not developing WMDs. 

I agree with Rice. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
Yes, I think the fact Saddam gave financial rewards to the families of suicide bombers gave the bombers an incentive to commit acts of terrorism resulting in the murder of innocent civilians.  That has now stopped.  I'm sure the people of Israel would not say "BFD" to that.  And the issue on that point wasn't whether sponsoring terrorism justified the war; it was whether one of his neighbors (i.e., part of the world) is now safer.  That's really undeniable. 

It's very deniable as Saddam wasn't doing anything.  He was paying the FAMILIES.  Not the terrorists, not the bombers.  And it still stands that Saddam was not a threat to his neighbors as it wasn't practical or prudent for him to attack anything as it would mean his removable and death.

It is both illogical and a stupid reason to go to war. 

Had we not invaded Iraq I believe Iran would have been much more aggressive in trying to obtain WMDs.  The fact we rolled in and took Saddam out had to have a major impact on Iran.  I don't think it's a coincidence at all that they are now trying to prove they're not developing WMDs. 

So now we are justifying our invasion of Iraq with the idea they would be trying to obtain WMD's in the wake of the most incompetent intelligence assessment in history?     HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAH

ROTFLMAO...............a gain.

The fact we rolled in and took Saddam out had to have a major impact on Iran.
   Yeah, they have had a the opportunity to supply the insurgency, get Iraq if we fail, and tied down our troops so we can't rightly invade them off of "BUSH's great intelligence assessments".
I don't think it's a coincidence at all that they are now trying to prove they're not developing WMDs.

You mean after everything that's been said?  lol.   When Inspectors get unfettered access to Iran and N. Korea then it's plausible.  Until then.  It's only words. 

I agree with Rice.

The funny thing is, she HAS to say that.  Not to, would be to invalidate BUSH's entire presidency.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »
It's very deniable as Saddam wasn't doing anything.  He was paying the FAMILIES.  Not the terrorists, not the bombers.  And it still stands that Saddam was not a threat to his neighbors as it wasn't practical or prudent for him to attack anything as it would mean his removable and death.

It is both illogical and a stupid reason to go to war. 

So now we are justifying our invasion of Iraq with the idea they would be trying to obtain WMD's in the wake of the most incompetent intelligence assessment in history?     HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAH

ROTFLMAO...............a gain.
   Yeah, they have had a the opportunity to supply the insurgency, get Iraq if we fail, and tied down our troops so we can't rightly invade them off of "BUSH's great intelligence assessments".
You mean after everything that's been said?  lol.   When Inspectors get unfettered access to Iran and N. Korea then it's plausible.  Until then.  It's only words. 

The funny thing is, she HAS to say that.  Not to, would be to invalidate BUSH's entire presidency.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

To borrow your phrase:  "you don't get it."   :)  He obviously couldn't give a financial reward to someone who was committing suicide, and the issue isn't whether this justified the war (although it is part of the analysis).  It's whether the people of Israel are safer with Saddam gone.  The answer is obvious. 

I don't really feel like having yet another discussion about whether the war was justified.  We've been down that road many times.  We're not going to agree. 

We are always operating somewhat in the dark when it comes to other countries’ internal operations.  But the information we have to date (public information anyway) clearly shows Iran and N. Korea being much more cooperative today than eight years ago. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
To borrow your phrase:  "you don't get it."   :)  He obviously couldn't give a financial reward to someone who was committing suicide, and the issue isn't whether this justified the war (although it is part of the analysis).  It's whether the people of Israel are safer with Saddam gone.  The answer is obvious. 

To borrow your phrase we just disagree.  But we can agree that Israel isn't the "world" can't we? 

Further more, it seems we are always in search of reasons to justify Iraq.  It's sad that we can't use the reasons we originally went to war in the first place.   It's ironic that now we have to have to cite things like "would have been much more aggressive in trying to obtain WMDs" to justify this war.  I am very saddened that this what explaining 4000 US deaths, 20,000 maimed and wounded, 100,000 dead iraqis and trillions of dollars, has come to.

We are always operating somewhat in the dark when it comes to other countries’ internal operations.  But the information we have to date (public information anyway) clearly shows Iran and N. Korea being much more cooperative today than eight years ago. 

Only in the last few days after 5 years in Iraq.    They will continue trying to become a player in the world power club.  Public information means little. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
stats... anyone?

I think I recall hearing a few months back that worldwide, terror attacks have RISEN since 2000 and are way higher now than in 2000.  This would completely dispel what Rice says.

Anyone have stats?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »
It's whether the people of Israel are safer with Saddam gone.  The answer is obvious. 

I wonder........ was Saddam killing roughly 750 and wounding 4000+ Israelis a year?  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 11:35:48 AM »
stats... anyone?

I think I recall hearing a few months back that worldwide, terror attacks have RISEN since 2000 and are way higher now than in 2000.  This would completely dispel what Rice says.

Anyone have stats?
Are you gonna make me list all the democrats that voted for the war and paste their statements saying Saddam was a threat again?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:02 AM »
Rice's statement as i think about it again.............

ROTFLMAO

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »
To borrow your phrase we just disagree.  But we can agree that Israel isn't the "world" can't we? 

Further more, it seems we are always in search of reasons to justify Iraq.  It's sad that we can't use the reasons we originally went to war in the first place.   It's ironic that now we have to have to cite things like "would have been much more aggressive in trying to obtain WMDs" to justify this war.  I am very saddened that this what explaining 4000 US deaths, 20,000 maimed and wounded, 100,000 dead iraqis and trillions of dollars, has come to.

Only in the last few days after 5 years in Iraq.    They will continue trying to become a player in the world power club.  Public information means little. 

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree. 

Israel isn't the world, but Israel is safer with Saddam gone.  Lybia, Iran, and and North Korea aren't the world either, but the world is a safer place if they don't have or try to develop WMDs.

Public information means little?  What else are you relying on the form you opinion?  You have friends in the CIA?   :)   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
I wonder........ was Saddam killing roughly 750 and wounding 4000+ Israelis a year?  

I don't know.  What difference would that make?