Author Topic: Patriotism is just a made-up wedge issue  (Read 1321 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Patriotism is just a made-up wedge issue
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »
Just like abortion or gay marriage, it's a small wedge issue designed to distract from economy or war.

Mccain looks like shit on both of those, but he looks great on patriotism.  So, his team will try to make the presidential debate about patriotism, not about the economy or the war (borrowing), the issues that actually affect us.

They're both US Senators.  They both love this country and serve her.  Both could be far richer outside of D.C. in the private sector, but both choose public service.  To choose your candidate over patriotism is silly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Patriotism is just a made-up wedge issue
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
As someone said a little while back (McWay I think?), many voters are sophisticated enough to deal with multiple issues. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
As someone said a little while back (McWay I think?), many voters are sophisticated enough to deal with multiple issues. 
but they don't.  many go to the polls with one issue in mind hell bent on voting that issue.  So when you tell everyone there marriage is bogus because Larry and Steve want to get married the guy that got all pissed off about that might just go to the polls with that in mind.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »

But I think inappropriate weight is assigned to this.

I mean, we borrowed tens of billions of chinese $ last week.  Gas jumped what, 20 or 30 cents in the last month?  oil went up $10 in the last 2 weeks?

yet the biggest issue on the news networks was along the lines of "who loves america more?"

I know it's about ratings, but it does assign inappropriate weight to issues with little significance.  I believe both men love america.  Yes, one served while another took the school route, but both just did what their parents did, right?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
but they don't.  many go to the polls with one issue in mind hell bent on voting that issue.  So when you tell everyone there marriage is bogus because Larry and Steve want to get married the guy that got all pissed off about that might just go to the polls with that in mind.

Yes there are single-issue voters.  There are also multiple issue voters.  Some issues are more important to some than others.  If a person doesn't think "patriotism" or homosexual marriage are important, then they won't vote based on those issues.  Some might rank abortion as a very important issue.  For some the war might be the most important issue.  Nothing wrong with that at all.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
But I think inappropriate weight is assigned to this.

And who are you to say what weight an individual voter should give a particular issue?   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Patriotism is an issue. 

But in a presidential race between two American born senators?   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

wait.  One American born senator.   ;D

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »
Both could be far richer outside of D.C. in the private sector, but both choose public service. 

Huh? What??!!

They both choose POWER, they choose to pursue a position of power, the same thing that a police officer does.

Public service?  Who are you kidding...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Huh? What??!!

They both choose POWER, they choose to pursue a position of power, the same thing that a police officer does.

Public service?  Who are you kidding...

Are you saying all police officers choose power not service?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
The office of prez is extremely lucrative.  Former presidents receive enormous advances to write books and charge as much as a million per speech.  Obama would have never done that in the private sector.   

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »
The office of prez is extremely lucrative.  Former presidents receive enormous advances to write books and charge as much as a million per speech.  Obama would have never done that in the private sector.  

As an example doctors that work for the White House Drug Task Force Agency get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to sit on the boards of companies, and no less than 20k to give speeches at events regarding drugs and other issues.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »
Public service. Hahahah, that's a good one. Acting like politicians give a shit about anyone but themselves. Hilarious!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »
McCain gets elected; half a year in, he drops dead. That would be weird.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
Yes there are single-issue voters.  There are also multiple issue voters.  Some issues are more important to some than others.  If a person doesn't think "patriotism" or homosexual marriage are important, then they won't vote based on those issues.  Some might rank abortion as a very important issue.  For some the war might be the most important issue.  Nothing wrong with that at all.    
the only think I know is that wedge issues are effective.  They sure pull them out each election.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
the only think I know is that wedge issues are effective.  They sure pull them out each election.

They are effective because people care about them.