Author Topic: Republican Delay on AIDS  (Read 3681 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Republican Delay on AIDS
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »
July 7, 2008
Editorial
Republican Delay on AIDS

A tiny group of Republican senators continues to block a vote on an important bill to increase American spending on AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis around the world. Their obstructionism has deprived President Bush of a legislative achievement that could help him spur other industrialized nations to contribute substantially more money as they meet to discuss global issues in Japan this week.

But better late than never. It remains important to blast through the legislative roadblock and bring this broadly supported bill to a vote on the Senate floor, where it is sure to prevail on the merits.

The bill, similar to one already approved by the House and endorsed by the president, would authorize spending $50 billion over the next five years to combat the three diseases. That would be a significant jump above current spending levels — and a wise investment in improving global health and repairing America’s tattered image around the world.

For barely a nanosecond in recent days, it looked as if the impasse had been broken when the reputed ringleader of the obstructionists, Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, negotiated a compromise with the bill’s sponsors that enabled him to lift his opposition to a vote. Mr. Coburn had insisted that at least 55 percent of the AIDS money be spent on treatment, a requirement that many experts feared would tie the hands of countries that might prefer, for example, to put heavier emphasis on prevention.

The compromise was to require that more than half of America’s bilateral AIDS money go for medical care broadly defined to include not only antiretroviral drugs to fight AIDS but also clinical monitoring, care for associated opportunistic infections, nutrition and food support and other essential care for AIDS victims. That would leave developing countries with leeway to fight the epidemic with the tools most relevant to them.

What satisfied Mr. Coburn, it turns out, was not enough to satisfy a few other senators who continue to hold up a vote. They are said to be concerned about the cost and about a provision that would eliminate an outdated statutory ban on admitting people infected with the AIDS virus into the country. Neither issue, to our mind, should block this worthy bill. If necessary, Senate Democratic leaders should undertake the potentially time-consuming task of forcing the bill to a vote.
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Republican Delay on AIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »
Hom much money have we wasted on this...forget it.
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »
Hom much money have we wasted on this...forget it.
Yeah, just let 'em die. Who gives a shit, right?  ::)
!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »
Yeah, just let 'em die. Who gives a shit, right?  ::)

What are you doing to help the AIDS cause besides using a condom with your boyfriends?

Why should we continue to waste money to combat AIDS in Africa and around the world? What has the rest of the world done to help lately? Spend that $50 billion on our economy instead.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
What are you doing to help the AIDS cause besides using a condom with your boyfriends?

Why should we continue to waste money to combat AIDS in Africa and around the world? What has the rest of the world done to help lately? Spend that $50 billion on our economy instead.

Agreed.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
Whats our Aids policy, how much have we spent....didn't they say the threat was way overblown and that it really was a disease confined mainly to risk homo sex and drug users. In the mid 80's u would have thought we were all dead....the they manufactored some pills...and people are living with it.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
Yeah....malaria and TB great....they affect many more people. Honestly Benny, I really don't care. Keep crying me a river for all these people. I bet they could care a dogshit less about u.

Africa is an economic blackhole...feel free to visit. Breathing the air will kill u....
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »
Well its funny, this idiot thinks I hate Obama because he's black.....who cares...I hate the guy because he's an idiot.
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »

Malaria kills 3,000 children every day. Stop The Bite is a 20 minute video that explores malaria and how we can combat this fatal disease. Please visit stopthebite.org for more information.

Have you ever watched the images of what's happening in Africa, particularly to children, & wondered "how can I help? This interview is with the founder of the Just Like My Child Foundation, Vivian Glyck. She\\\'s the author of two books and a mother. She'll explain how you can follow the path of your contribution through the miracle of technology so that in your heart you know that what you are doing makes a difference. If you have a burning desire to help children and women in Africa and don\\\'t know what to do to make a difference right now, visit www.JustLIkeMyChild.com. It's a 501c3 non-profit organization that is doing real work on the ground in Uganda, Africa. Learn more at http://www.JustLikeMyChild.com

This report focuses on the new threat from drug-resistant tuberculosis.

!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Helping victims of natural desasters or plagues or malaria is one thing.

Helping people because they refuse to practice safe sex is another.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
Why should we be the ones to contribute the bulk of the money to this cause? Our economy is in the shitter and you want us to shell out $50 billion to some people who couldn't care less and won't listen to anything we tell them? China is heavily investing in Africa yet I doubt they would contribute $10 billion to the cause, let alone 50. Makes zero sense.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:43 PM »
Malaria.

DDT.
Like the 70's

Problem solved.

Oh some birds might die.
Well too bad.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/nr/downloads/globalhealth/Malaria_Strategy_Overview.pdf
http://fightingmalaria.org/
Z

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
Helping victims of natural desasters or plagues or malaria is one thing.

Helping people because they refuse to practice safe sex is another.

You have it wrong Ozmo.  The money is earmarked to go, but the reason it's held up is because a few extreme righties don't WANT the money to go for education.  They believe handing out condoms and teaching people to be careful leads to feckless, immoral behavior, and want it to be siphoned into treatment only. 

These people are largely uneducated.  In South Africa, illiterates believe that raping a virgin will cure aids. Little Namekula, who is also illiterate doesn't know she can use spericidal jelly that kills the virus. Blah, blah, blah...

3/4 of the world's aids cases occur in Africa, so it can't exactly be ignored.  In all the countries where they've introduced education and prevention, the rates have gone down drastically.

And several countries give very generously, including Japan, Canada, France, etc...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
You have it wrong Ozmo.  The money is earmarked to go, but the reason it's held up is because a few extreme righties don't WANT the money to go for education.  They believe handing out condoms and teaching people to be careful leads to feckless, immoral behavior, and want it to be siphoned into treatment only. 

These people are largely uneducated.  In South Africa, illiterates believe that raping a virgin will cure aids. Little Namekula, who is also illiterate doesn't know she can use spericidal jelly that kills the virus. Blah, blah, blah...

3/4 of the world's aids cases occur in Africa, so it can't exactly be ignored.  In all the countries where they've introduced education and prevention, the rates have gone down drastically.

And several countries give very generously, including Japan, Canada, France, etc...

Makes sense what you are saying. 
I'm not knowledgeable about this bill.

However, I think it is better spent here in the USA, if it's 50 billion we are talking about.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Makes sense what you are saying. 
I'm not knowledgeable about this bill.

However, I think it is better spent here in the USA, if it's 50 billion we are talking about.

In some ways I agree with you. It often seems people don't want to help themselves. But I guess you can't have an entire continent overrun with disease. It takes global resources away from disaster aid, food shortages, etc. 

It's 50 Billion over 5 years. The war currently costs 8 Billion a month, so with that almost over with, look at all the spare cash that'll be floating around!  ;D

The Gates' are very generously alloting hundreds of millions from their foundation, so that's good too. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »
Why because i believe charity begins at home?

Practice safe sex, and you won't have a problem.

Education and yes, helping those afflicted.

What about cancer?  What about the environment?

Mean while take the 50 billion and send it else where.

Holy shit not personal accountability...naw that won't work.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »

Holy shit not personal accountability...naw that won't work.

Dee Dee as usual has a good point on some of it.  The problem is, implementing what needs to be done without spending 10 billion a year of American money to fix the problem of education and supply condoms.  I don't see why their own government can't do this in some way.  

How many condoms can 30 million buy?  spend 100 million on education.  

Again i don;t know much about the bill, but it seems excessive considering in the end, we should look after our own first with that amount of money.

Of course now, Benny will wish my grand children get raped by monkeys next.  He's so grown up.  I want everyone to be just like him.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
I don't understand why we should foot a bill like that. Are China, Russia, Britain and other world powers throwing tens of billions around? I seriously doubt it. We're the bad guys according to everyone. Why should we flush away $50 billion?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
I don't know about all that BF, but he just attacked me out of no where for no real reason.  I was voicing my opinion and even conceded ignorance to a degree and acknowledge Dee Dee's point.

I know i get belligerent from time to time, but geez  ::)

He's a mental midget.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
He's a mental midget.

Zig Ziglar.   :)   

(i think that's something he says....been a while)

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
On this one, doesn't matter if you're dem or repub, since the Bush admin, Obama AND McCain all support the bill. It's only the religious right guys who oppose money for education, prefering the stick your finger in the dike approach.

I think they all support it because the tuburculosis thing, a by-product of aids, is almost at epidemic numbers...
it's some weird strain that withstands treatment, and has been found in countries like Canada, the US, France, and others.

A lot of these countries have one third to half its population infected with aids, which means tens of millions of people. Kind of hard to keep your economy going when one third is sick and dying. 

The Bush admin is hoping that earmarking that amount of cash will force the other countries in the G8 to cough up matching cash.  They're having some kind of global meeting in the near future.  Plus it's a good PR move.