Author Topic: Growing parade of conservatives backing Obama  (Read 481 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Growing parade of conservatives backing Obama
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
July 7, 2008 AP
 An increasing number of disaffected Republicans fed up with what they see as President Bush's broken promises and unimpressed with John McCain say they may be switching teams in November to vote for Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

Among the reformed righties now hoping for an Obama victory are free-market economist David Friedman, former Reagan aide Douglas Kmiec, Contract With America co-author Larry Hunter and Susan Eisenhower, granddaughter of the former president.

Bush's "view of the legitimate power of the executive branch, including the authority to deliberately violate federal law, I find frightening," Friedman, son of Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman tells the San Francisco Chronicle. "Perhaps, if we are lucky, Obama will turn out to be the anti-Bush."

"The untold story of the Bush administration is the deliberate annihilation of the Reaganite, small-government wing of the Republican Party," said Michael Greve, director of the Federalism Project at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank. "A lot of people are very bitter about it."

NT

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Growing parade of conservatives backing Obama
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »
I completely understand this but looks like they are really voting against McCain rather than for Obama.  Nothing in Obama's proposed policies is close to Reagan conservatism or free-market supporters.
Many people seem to just like Obama and want change while ignoring his policies and left wing history.  Just pointing out fact, not so much a judgement.  I'm not racing to the poles to support either of them.

I agree with this quote:
"Most important is the matter of Mr. Obama's political character – and how honest he is being about what he truly believes. His voting record in the Senate and in Illinois, as well as his primary positions, would make him the most liberal Presidential candidate since George McGovern in 1972. But he clearly doesn't want voters to believe that in November. He's still the Obama Americans don't know."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Growing parade of conservatives backing Obama
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
Hardly a parade.