Author Topic: Keith's still kickin' it with the rich and famous...  (Read 25761 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Keith's still kickin' it with the rich and famous...
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
Easy to top Stunt.  My mom saw Ricky Nelson all the time as she did many many other celebrities because of her job.  She did a lot of notarizing for him and got me his autograph a few times.  As with Buddy Ebsen he came into our club several times back in the early 80's.  He looked at least 150 years old back then.  It was neat talking to Jed Clampett. 

I remember every tuesday was Bill Daily's night out without his wife.  He had an awesome looking wife.  We always talked a lot when he came in.  I am sure Max Rep had to have talked to him too when he came in.  He was very nice.  I remember I had a girlfriend who couldn't believe wherever we went someone knew me.  So we went to Palm Springs one weekend and went to some restaurant that was really nice but away from the Palm Canyon.  Well low and behold Bill was there and saw me.  He comes up and hugs me and gets all excited.  We sit down with them for dinner (yes he paid so free meal time).  When we left Lori (my girlfriend) asked who that was and I said that was Major Healey from I Dream of Jeannie.  She had no idea who it was.

Sorry everyone for the name dropping.  Stunt lets talk about Jack Lord and Jim Nabors.  There's two people we know and I talked to many times. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »
Long time, stunt. Barbara Stanwyck: Was there anything she couldn't do? Love the Godfather story. I'll take guess here: Your buddy Jack was 'owed' favours from Robert Evans for getting him out of a drug jam or a sex with a minor shananigan? 

I worked with her on Falcon Crest.  It was just a background shot but my buddy Joe Coppelleta (?) was a director on that show and got me on.  I knew she was someone well known but didn't know much about her

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »
And by the way, the title of this thread is Keith is still kicking it...... well sorry to burst the bubble but I do not hang with anyone anymore.  But, give me a little more time.  I will be out there again then I can post more recent pics.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
I worked with her on Falcon Crest.  It was just a background shot but my buddy Joe Coppelleta (?) was a director on that show and got me on.  I knew she was someone well known but didn't know much about her
Cool. Well, she was married to Robert Taylor (a purple marriage?) and was one of Hollywood's true stars. She started way back in the pre-code days; you probably saw her in Billy Wilder's 'Double Indemnity' or Preston Sturges' 'The Lady Eve.' The fact she never won an Oscar is about as mind-boggling as the fact that neither did Cary Grant.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »
Dr Chimps, You are damn close on the "Saved from murder with an Oscar" background. Some of the actual participants are still alive and kick'en so drop me an email and I'll fill you in on the mystery spots.

JohnnyV, I actually never saw that TV show so I can't answer your question. Sorry. Ask Keith directly. He'll know. While he was playing around in Hollywood, I was protecting his ass in Vietnam or some other  part of the Galaxy.

Oh yea, Keith! I did forget about your mom's job and meeting all these show biz folks. And as far as Jack Lord and Gomer Pyle go, I got one hell of a damn story to tell that no one on here is gonna believe, but never-the-less, it is the TRUTH. Remind me to tell ya about Benji.

But I'll attempt to beat  ya by going further back with "Hawaiian I" and Bruce Lee and Tommy Sands and dinner parties in Don Ho's penthouse while he was out of town (probably blowing Tiny Bubbles in Las Vegas) and meeting him at a luncheon and not even recognizing him because he looked so damn young and healthy after his first heart attack (lost lots of weight). He laughed about that and that made me feel better.

And your bud the karate guy (movie star) who was married to someone's whose name I presently forget (female bodybuilder). Who are these two whose names I am forgetting? (Brain-fart!) Watched him "demo fight" with some special kids outside of the Nike store and then said a brief "Hello" when he and his lady were "fine dining" at Chilie's.

And I should mention that Tennessee Ernie Ford was my temporary next door neighbor when "16 Tons" was HOT!

And I also had the honor of meeting Famous Amos's mom. She was a great lady and a real character. Even gave me a cookie!

TOP THAT!!

Oh yea! I think I met Robert Taylor on the SCARAMOUCH set, but I gotta check on that one. It was the horse chase scene and was shot in GG park in San Francisco.     JUST CHECKED AND NOPE.... I'm wrong.... It was Stewart Granger. Most likely no one on here cept Chimps has ever heard of good old Stew.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
I don't know the karate guy you are talking about.  Chuck? Ernie Reyes? Benny Urquidez?  I don't know any who is married to a female BB.  Is this is in Hawaii.  And poor Don Ho.  I did some appearances with him around Oahu.  Got to be okay friends with him.  He was drunk quite often though.  I remember seeing one day at Kinkos.  He was getting some sample labels printed for his new chocolate chip cookie he was coming out with called Tiny Bubbles.  And lets not forget Wally Amos.  Nothing like having freshly hot made Famous Amos cookies prepared live at his house for a nice Christmas dinner.  Very nice man.  Still dumb as hell for selling the rights

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #306 on: July 24, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
I don't know the karate guy you are talking about.  Chuck? Ernie Reyes? Benny Urquidez?  I don't know any who is married to a female BB.  Is this is in Hawaii.  And poor Don Ho.  I did some appearances with him around Oahu.  Got to be okay friends with him.  He was drunk quite often though.  I remember seeing one day at Kinkos.  He was getting some sample labels printed for his new chocolate chip cookie he was coming out with called Tiny Bubbles.  And lets not forget Wally Amos.  Nothing like having freshly hot made Famous Amos cookies prepared live at his house for a nice Christmas dinner.  Very nice man.  Still dumb as hell for selling the rights

SHIT!!!!!!!!! just remembered.  Jean Claude was married to Gladys Portuguese

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »
Hey, Stunt: When are you going to deliver on some of the stories you've been promising?
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Oh yea! I think I met Robert Taylor on the SCARAMOUCH set, but I gotta check on that one. It was the horse chase scene and was shot in GG park in San Francisco.     JUST CHECKED AND NOPE.... I'm wrong.... It was Stewart Granger. Most likely no one on here cept Chimps has ever heard of good old Stew.
Great stories! Love'em. Sure, Stewart Granger was Allan Quartermain in King Solomon's Mines. I think(!?) that the sword fight he has with Mel Ferrer in Scaramouche is still the longest in movies. Oh, and he was in North to Alaska with The Duke and Ernie Kovacs, who is now (sadly) long forgotten. AMC plays that movie frequently.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
Give me a clue, Cal. What ones? Some I cannot mention till certain stuff happens. Stuff like death! And even then I'll do it as polite as possible.

Keith, you had a BRAIN-FART  too! Yea, Jean and Gladys. They are back together I think. I'll stop by Jeff's on my way to LV and get the official scoop. Will be arriving Friday (tomorrow) around noon unless I wake up late.

Here's my famous dog story. The actual way it happened but there is a 5% possibility that I have reached the wrong conclusion at the very end so I'll avoid mentioning the names of the parties involved in an effort to protect the innocent. Or in this case, the guilty.

Back in the days when Hawaii 5-0 was being shot at the Diamond Head Studios, we had kind of a wrap-party at the end of the 5-0 shooting schedule/season at our house on Analii Street cross the Kalanianioleole Highway from the Waialai Golf and Country Club. (I mention these names to refresh the memories of some of you who might have even been there and witnessed what I talk about below).

Back then and way before this party I mention above, I had a good habit of rescuing unwanted mutts from the local dog pound just down the road apiece. On one occasion I brought home a shaggy little mutt just out of puppyhood and named him THUMPER. Thumper became immediately attached to Hot Pants (a minature black Lab).

Months pass and THUMPER grows to Hot Pant's height. And as Thumper grows he gets smart (And I mean REAL SMART) while Hot Pants remains as stupid as usual but very loveable.

THUMPER's best dog-friend is HOT PANTS  ...  and HOT PANTS (named after Don "Hot Pants" Morocco) liked to follow every kid in the neighborhood while they all walked to school a couple of blocks away. And I would get a phone call from the Principal asking me to come on down and retrieve Hot Pants who was patiently waiting in the school-yard for the kids to get out and walk on back home with them.

One day Hot Pants wasn't home and I didn't get that usually expected phone call from the Principal but Thumper came running up the drive-way all hot and bothered and upset about something. I've often seen Lassie  on TV trying to get someone to follow her in an effort to save a damsel in distress; and now I was watching Thumper doing the same damn thing .... and to be honest with ya I've never seen him watching any Lassie episode so I don't know where he learned this "Follow Me QUICK" trick of his.

So I finally got the message and followed him down the driveway and he started running and looked back expecting me to do the same. So we both ran down the road together towards Kalanianioleole Highway where he led me to Hot Pants who was half dead on the side of the highway. Thumper merely laid by his side, let out a dog whine,and looked up at me as if to say, "Do something, Stupid!"

So I picked up Hot Pants and was in the process of getting myself emotionally set to bury him in the front yard, but he was still breathing so me and Thumper carried him back to the house and got in my VW and placed Hot Pants on the passenger seat while THUMPER looked on from the rear.

THUMPER was very concerned. Almost just like a human. Definitely more human than dog-like.

So we rushed on down Kalanilanioleole Highway to the vets and he says, "Are you sure you want to save Hot Pants? He's in pretty bad shape and will require a lot of attention!"

And I sort of knew that Thumper would be really pissed off at me if we didn't try to save his favorite buddy so I said, "Do what you can, doc."

"OK, I'll call you when and if he'll be ready to come back home! I'll do my best but can't promise you anything for sure."

SO we left Hot Pants there and for the next few days, Thumper was pretty damn upset.

Damn upset until Hot Pants was released and returned home with more that 80 stitches holding him together. That made Thumper happy but we had to separate them in two different parts of the house until those stitches healed completely.

Some of us who knew Thumper well swore that he was more human that dog! He would do stuff that only humans attempt to do. Like ... sitting still and paying attention to boring conversations at BBQ'S and dinner parties, which brings us back to that Hawaii 5-0 wrap affair I mentioned earlier.

We're all having cocktails on the lanai overlooking the golf course and talking about various boring stuff that happened on and off the set this past week and one of the principal actors looks down and sees Thumper sitting below us and watching each of us as we tell our boring stories as if he actually understands what the hell we're talking about and is interested in what we have to say.

And the actor says, "Look at this dog! It's listening to us!"

So I proceed to tell everyone about how smart this Thumper dog is and to prove it I tell him to go get something and sure enough he runs off and returns with that "something" in his mouth waiting for me to take it. Plus the standard dog tricks which he obeys with a look like, "Is that all you think I can do, Stupid?! (He called me "Stupid" lots.)

And the actor is super impressed and says, "Wow! You should take that dog to Hollywood or better yet, let me take him tomorrow! He's more than brilliant!" And I laugh and head off in search of another beer and see how the steaks are coming along.

The next morning I get up with a hangover and notice that Thumper is not in the usual spot where Thumper is usually at. In fact he fails to show up at all throughout the day. SO we do the usual dog search thing, but to no avail and over time the sadness passes from each of us and Hot Pants too.

Then about a year later, I'm walking down the street and see a poster on a movie theater advertising "BENJI" and since Benji looks exactly like
Thumper, I pay my $5.25 cents and go inside to watch it.

About five minutes into the Benji scenes, I come to realize that I am seeing Thumper up there on that silver screen. This ain't no ordinary dog! This is  definitely Thumper.

So I go home and start raising hell about someone stealing Thumper and making a movie star out of him and those who knew him well also go and see that Benji movie and feel exactly as I do. But others who did not know Thumper at all, say, "You're crazy!"

Eventually I sat back and let it pass and sort of got real proud that Thumper had hit the big-time and made a name for himself.

And I never even got an autograph! But I do know that he would have been proud to see me and Hot Pants if we ever had the opportunity to visit him in Hollywood.

All this stuff really happened. I'm not entirely sure that the real Thumper actually made it to the Silver Screen though. But 95% sure is close enough.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »
Actor with the ski pole accident was Clint Walker!

Vito Scotti played the florist in the Godfather stunt!

OK Stunt,was the mouth popping guy a foreigner,fat with glasses,older with gray hair?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
Yea! Thanks, Wes! Clint Walker. I forgot his name. He's still alive and kicking. Here's an update I found on IMDB.

"Clint still enjoys meeting people and signing autographs while attending various gatherings, film festivals and western heritage events. His favorite event to attend is the Western Legends Film Festival held the last week of August each year in Kanab, Utah where many of the Hollywood Westerns were filmed and where Clint was honored in 2004 for his role in the movie Fort Dobbs."

I gotta watch Godfather again to recall that florist scene.

No, Wes, the mouth popping guy was not fat nor did he wear glasses but I think he appeared once with a monocle. I found a character actors site and am looking for him there but it is huge and will take some time. I never realized there were so many character actors in the movie business.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
Actor with the ski pole accident was Clint Walker!

Vito Scotti played the florist in the Godfather stunt!

OK Stunt,was the mouth popping guy a foreigner,fat with glasses,older with gray hair?
:)
Posey?  :)

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
Haha...that's great, man.  If you're serious (and I can't tell if you are), there's got to be a way to find out where Benji came from prior to being in the movies.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that he'd been picked up in a shelter. 

Did I miss this story?:

And as far as Jack Lord and Gomer Pyle go, I got one hell of a damn story to tell that no one on here is gonna believe, but never-the-less, it is the TRUTH.

Isn't Gomer a bit "light in the loafers"? 
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #314 on: July 24, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
Haha...that's great, man.  If you're serious (and I can't tell if you are), there's got to be a way to find out where Benji came from prior to being in the movies.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that he'd been picked up in a shelter. 

Did I miss this story?:

Isn't Gomer a bit "light in the loafers"? 

more like floating but hey it's Gomer Pyle.  He ate at California Pizza Kitchen in Kahala like clockwork.  He has a beautiful home on the ocean at Black Point near Diamond Head.