Author Topic: Obama: I need to earn troops’ trust  (Read 1154 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Obama: I need to earn troops’ trust
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama knows that to win the vote of current and former military members and their families, he has to prove himself.

“Precisely because I have not served in uniform, I am somebody who strongly believes I have to earn the trust of men and women in uniform,” Obama said in a July 2 interview with Military Times as he contrasted his lack of service with that of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, a Navy retiree and Vietnam veteran who has years of experience in Congress working on national security issues.

Video
• Watch segments of our interview with Obama

“I do not presume that from the day I am sworn in, every single service man or woman suddenly says, ‘This guy knows what he is doing,‘“ said Obama, a freshman U.S. senator from Illinois, in his most extensive interview to date on a wide range of military issues.

Earning trust, he said, means listening to advice from military people, including top uniformed leaders, combatant commanders and senior noncommissioned officers and petty officers. It also means standing up for the military on critical issues and keeping promises, Obama said.

The 46-year-old former community organizer and civil rights attorney will formally become the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee at the party’s August convention in Denver.

Obama said he hopes the military community will see him as “a guy looking out for us and not someone trying to score cheap political points.”

Military members and their families deserve better pay and benefits, he said, and although money might be hard to find for a generous increase, he supports increasing basic pay to keep up with inflation and private-sector salaries, and he believes housing allowances need to be increased so young service members and their families can afford adequate places to live.

He also wants to spend more to improve veterans’ health care and reduce the wait for a disability claim to be processed.

“I don’t know a higher priority than making sure that the men and women who are putting themselves in harm’s way, day in and day out, are getting decent pay and decent benefits — so that when they return home as veterans, they don’t have to wait six months to get benefits that they’ve earned, that they’re not winding up homeless on the streets, that they’re being screened for post-traumatic stress disorder, that if a spouse is widowed, the benefits are sufficiently generous,” he said. “These are just basic requirements of a grateful nation.”

Obama said he did not want to be more specific because he did not want to make promises he might not be able to keep. “I think we can do a much better job than we’re doing right now,” he said. But, he added, “I want to be honest: We are going to be in a tight budget situation. We’re not going to be able to do everything all at once.”

He also wants an end to stop-loss orders that extend active duty beyond separation or retirement dates, and he wants a deployment schedule that provides more stability and time at home for families.

One way to relieve this stress is to increase the size of the Army and Marine Corps. Obama’s plans for a 65,000-person increase in the Army and a 27,000-person increase in the Marine Corps match plans already underway. He said he is not sure about personnel levels for the Navy and Air Force, but “I don’t anticipate a reduction” for those two servi
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: Obama: I need to earn troops’ trust
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
My two cents.first off I heard this on AFN radio via link. I think u guys can find it as well.

He said um about 4 million times..it did not sound sincere, like he was searching for words to say.

Military members and their families deserve better pay and benefits, he said, and although money might be hard to find for a generous increase, he supports increasing basic pay to keep up with inflation and private-sector salaries, and he believes housing allowances need to be increased so young service members and their families can afford adequate places to live.

We get a raise that has to keep pace with inflation, by law so he's said nothing there. The housing allowance thing is already being debated. However its not a matter of money, its a matter of allowing an E2 live off post while his buddy in the barracks. The barracks guy pulls more duty with the "hey u's". He also is more accountable for his actions, clean rooms, cleaning details. Any u get the idea. Its not fair to give another guy an extra 600 a month to live off post, at that rank level.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
 so that when they return home as veterans, they don’t have to wait six months to get benefits that they’ve earned, that they’re not winding up homeless on the streets, that they’re being screened for post-traumatic stress disorder, that if a spouse is widowed, the benefits are sufficiently generous,” he said. “These are just basic requirements of a grateful nation.”

My soldiers got there bene's 35 days after ETS off of active duty. If u don't do the paperwork correctly, thing take longer. The words are pretty but mean nothing. They need to make sure that VA counselers are available to help guys, this will help fix the problem.

widowed, the benefits are sufficiently generous,” he said. “These are just basic requirements of a grateful nation.”

Our families gets a $100,000 death gratuity within 72 hrs. If he wants to do more, great but there is no way that will happen. Then we get our Insurance $400,000.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
Obama said he did not want to be more specific because he did not want to make promises he might not be able to keep. “I think we can do a much better job than we’re doing right now,” he said. But, he added, “I want to be honest: We are going to be in a tight budget situation. We’re not going to be able to do everything all at once.”

Ah.........what about all his billions in new spending............wow he's so full of shit.

One way to relieve this stress is to increase the size of the Army and Marine Corps. Obama’s plans for a 65,000-person increase in the Army and a 27,000-person increase in the Marine Corps match plans already underway. He said he is not sure about personnel levels for the Navy and Air Force, but “I don’t anticipate a reduction” for those two servi

Oh HIS plan matches one already planned.........what?

Ok this guy is so full of shit its not funny. He could care less.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »
I don't care about the numbers - I know you do and I respect that.

If I was a soldier, all I'd care about is getting my ass home in one piece to my loved ones.

I guess once you're there, you get bitten by the mission bug, and that's something I can't comprehend with my fat ass in a recliner in the states.  So I respect it - being a part of somethign bigger than us.

But the donations had RP #1 and Obama #2, with mccain at 3rd.  That might mean that less than 1/3 of those in the military agree with mccain.  I dunno...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »
HH didn't you point out a little while back that were only a handful of military donors? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »
Military contributions for Q2

Ron Paul 26.23%
Barack Obama 24.02%
John McCain 18.31%
Hillary Clinton 11.08%
Bill Richardson 5.59%
Mitt Romney 4.05%
John Edwards 2.63%
Rudy Giuliani 2.44%
Mike Huckabee 1.84%
Tom Tancredo 1.63%
Duncan Hunter 1.05%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »
Just to provide context:

The center tallied money from donors who list the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and National Guard as an employer. Overall, these donations are miniscule: Obama got 44 contributions worth about $27,000 and Paul 23 for about $19,300. Republican John McCain, an Iraq war supporter and Vietnam prisoner of war, was third with about $18,500 from 32 donors.

. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3601542

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »
Just to provide context:

The center tallied money from donors who list the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and National Guard as an employer. Overall, these donations are miniscule: Obama got 44 contributions worth about $27,000 and Paul 23 for about $19,300. Republican John McCain, an Iraq war supporter and Vietnam prisoner of war, was third with about $18,500 from 32 donors.

. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3601542

Interesting.  makes me see 2 big Qs.

Do you think military people will vote for someone if they gave their money to someone with opposite belief on the 1 issues which affects their life the most?

Do you think its odd that while military voting was traditionally republican, their donations have suddenly turned dem/libertarian?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
I think the fact that about 100 or so members of the Armed Forces donated, while the presidential election will likely consist of over 120 million voters, means the percentage of military donations is completely irrelevant.  It's sort of funny how people use these "statistics" to claim the "military" supports a particular candidate.  Talk about taking things out of context. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
I think the fact that about 100 or so members of the Armed Forces donated, while the presidential election will likely consist of over 120 million voters, means the percentage of military donations is completely irrelevant.  It's sort of funny how people use these "statistics" to claim the "military" supports a particular candidate.  Talk about taking things out of context. 

Most are busy fighting and don't have a lot of time to watch the prez debates like we do.  I can understand minimal donations.

How do you think the military families back home (with way more time, money, and understanding of the campaigns) will donate?  There are 160,000 families with people over there.  Will they put their 'love of the mission' over their 'love for their family members' safety'?  Hard to predict.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:17 PM »
Most are busy fighting and don't have a lot of time to watch the prez debates like we do.  I can understand minimal donations.

How do you think the military families back home (with way more time, money, and understanding of the campaigns) will donate?  There are 160,000 families with people over there.  Will they put their 'love of the mission' over their 'love for their family members' safety'?  Hard to predict.

Not true.  Most of them are not fighting. 

And no, military families back home don't have more money or necessarily a better understanding of campaigns.  Military members make more money while deployed and in combat than "back home." 

We can just put this "which candidate gets the most military donations" thing to bed.  It's so irrelevant it's almost comical. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »
ah... I think more than 100 people donated.  If it's the same stats I saw before it just looks at donations over 200.00.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »
ah... I think more than 100 people donated.  If it's the same stats I saw before it just looks at donations over 200.00.

How many donors were there?  Keep in mind there are probably close to 2 million active duty and reserves (if not more) and over 120 million people will likely vote in the next election. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:25:37 AM »
I'd invite u guys to read the Army Times "replies" section on this story...the mil folks were lighting Obama up. Most think he's full of shit. They all quote people who work for the military, as donators...people who are retired or work for the DOD. That was interesting. The donor pool was about what BB said, i couldn't find anything different....big friggen deal.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »
I guess he'll have to distance himself from the Leftist nutbags like this
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
I'd invite u guys to read the Army Times "replies" section on this story...the mil folks were lighting Obama up. Most think he's full of shit. They all quote people who work for the military, as donators...people who are retired or work for the DOD. That was interesting. The donor pool was about what BB said, i couldn't find anything different....big friggen deal.

please link us to military points of view... fascinating.  HH6, you've certainly made me less of an obama fan in the last 2 months.  mccain is still a borrow-happy lunatic, so Im' still a barr man.  But I like obamers a lot less.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »
I guess he'll have to distance himself from the Leftist nutbags like this

>:(