Author Topic: U.S. Marines "kill 400 Taliban" in Afghan operation  (Read 1254 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
U.S. Marines "kill 400 Taliban" in Afghan operation
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »
KABUL (Reuters) - U.S. Marines have killed more than 400 Taliban since they began an operation to seize a district in southern Afghanistan in May, their commander said on Wednesday.

A fighting force of some 2,200 U.S. Marines deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year to make up for shortfalls in troops that Washington failed to persuade other NATO allies to fill.

The Marines moved into Garmsir district, in the southern province of Helmand, in late April, taking up positions east of the river that cuts through the desert region, and in early May began a fierce fight to push Taliban militants west and south.

"The Taliban proved that they wanted to fight for Garmsir and we took the fight to them and inflicted very serious casualties," Colonel Peter Petronzio, the U.S. Marine commander in Afghanistan, told a news conference.

Petronzio said his force was "a little too busy to count" Taliban dead, but the Afghan governor of Helmand, he said "believes the number is somewhere beyond 400 and I'm confident that his number is a fairly correct".

"As a military commander," Petronzio said, "the number which is most important to me is the civilian casualties and we believe and are confident that that number is zero."

Garmsir, at the southern end of the inhabited green strip along the Helmand River, had been a transit and logistics hub for Taliban fighters moving in from the south, Petronzio said.

Though the commander did not mention it by name, there is little but desert south of Garmsir until the Pakistan border.  Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSISL4840220080709
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: U.S. Marines "kill 400 Taliban" in Afghan operation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Good work.

Now go blow up osama.  You'll find him in an Egyptian grave where he's been for, oh, 6 years.

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »
Go getem Rob, you have the hard evidence...go for it!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
 ::)
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
HH6 I just saw on TV we moved 40k US soldiers to a base that is in close proximity to Iran to push out Iran shia, but that was about it.

Any links to this news? I can't find any

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
Go getem Rob, you have the hard evidence...go for it!!

Hey, you had hard evidence about WMD being in Syria, didn't ya?

oh, and that clinton body count... you have any evidence on that silly CT either?

LMAO @ hard evidence, coming from you!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »
Good work.

Now go blow up osama.  You'll find him in an Egyptian grave where he's been for, oh, 6 years.

Got any proof of this or can we file it right next to your "Iran will be invaded on March 31st" theory?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »
Got any proof of this or can we file it right next to your "Iran will be invaded on March 31st" theory?

dude, we all know iran didn't take the bait back then.  if they had wasted those 15 young handsome and pretty brits, they would have been hit.

instead, they gave them new bathrobes and gave them champagne.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
Good work.

Is that where they store the look-a-likes too :D  Anyday now, they're going to stage a bold mission to nab one of their Osama doubles.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:44 PM »
KABUL (Reuters) - U.S. Marines have killed more than 400 Taliban since they began an operation to seize a district in southern Afghanistan in May, their commander said on Wednesday.

A fighting force of some 2,200 U.S. Marines deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year to make up for shortfalls in troops that Washington failed to persuade other NATO allies to fill.

The Marines moved into Garmsir district, in the southern province of Helmand, in late April, taking up positions east of the river that cuts through the desert region, and in early May began a fierce fight to push Taliban militants west and south.

"The Taliban proved that they wanted to fight for Garmsir and we took the fight to them and inflicted very serious casualties," Colonel Peter Petronzio, the U.S. Marine commander in Afghanistan, told a news conference.

Petronzio said his force was "a little too busy to count" Taliban dead, but the Afghan governor of Helmand, he said "believes the number is somewhere beyond 400 and I'm confident that his number is a fairly correct".

"As a military commander," Petronzio said, "the number which is most important to me is the civilian casualties and we believe and are confident that that number is zero."

Garmsir, at the southern end of the inhabited green strip along the Helmand River, had been a transit and logistics hub for Taliban fighters moving in from the south, Petronzio said.

Though the commander did not mention it by name, there is little but desert south of Garmsir until the Pakistan border.  Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSISL4840220080709

Good.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »
HH6 I just saw on TV we moved 40k US soldiers to a base that is in close proximity to Iran to push out Iran shia, but that was about it.

Any links to this news? I can't find any

The Mahdi army pulled up stakes after Basra, and headed to iran to regroup, retrain etc....I think P4 wants to shut teh door on their return. They have pretty much stopped the foreign fighter pipeline from Syria, doing the same thing and he mentioned thay want to do the same thing with the Madhi army.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:27 AM »
Alright thanks.

It was weird when I watched the clip, kinda surreal really actually seeing them use Iran like a door; walk in gather weapons walk out shoot them.

On tape just like that.