Author Topic: Obama says we should speak Spanish  (Read 2077 times)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
Obama says we should speak Spanish
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
Okay, I don't post much on this board but wanted other opinions. In a recent speech, Obama declared that our kids should all learn Spanish and that it is embarassing that when Americans go to other countries, we only speak our native tongue. Here is the link:
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/09/obama-your-kids-should-learn-spanish/   I didn't see anyone post this, so I thought I would be the first.

A few months ago, I was positive I would vote for him, but the more he talks, the more his true intentions seem to come out. GW was as far right as you can get and has been a bad President, that cannot be denied. But should we replace him with someone on the totally opposite end of the spectrum? In the long run, that seems like we will be in another mess years ahead. McCain may be Republican, but he is closer to a Democrat than most Republicans and after seeing this, my decision has changed about voting for Obama. I believe if the media actually carried speeches like this, instead of the "We need change" stuff, a lot more Americans would change their mind as well. Attack me and call me ignorant if you want, but I represent a lot of 26-35 year old white males.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Obama says we should speak Spanish
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »
Should learn Portuguese instead.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
Learning other languages would be useful for Americans, since they usually only speak half a language.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »
Learning other languages would be useful for Americans, since they usually only speak half a language.

At times your English is horrible on here. Practice what you preach. I feel bad for those Korean kids. Having a teacher who doesn't know the language himself.  :-\

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
what are the advantages of learning new languages?

which languages should we be learning?
follow the arrows

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »
unbelievable.........

I went to a mexican take out place today and they got my sons order wrong because they don't speak our language.  

I get he's not saying we should be required to speak spanish, he just thinks we should.

Fvck that.

I think every one should be required to speak english in this country or get the fvck out.

I think he just quite possibly lost my vote.

I not voting for him or McCain now.   I'm voting for Bugs Bunny.

This has got to be the 2 worse candidates for president in the history of our country.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
I do find it amusing that we reward people for not speaking English here.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
fuck english
follow the arrows

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
And BTW,  jackass, Barry,

THEY ARE NOT LEARNING ENGLISH!

And Barry SHOULD just stfu, and not tell us what we should be doing with our kids regarding language outside the English Language

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »

REward?

they should be deported if they don't speak passible english in 18 months.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:22:49 PM »

There are tons of advantages in learning a new language.

However, ALL citizens should learn to speak English first and fore most. Anything else isn't important enough to talk about politically.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:23:02 PM »
At times your English is horrible on here. Practice what you preach. I feel bad for those Korean kids. Having a teacher who doesn't know the language himself.  :-\

Please cite specific examples and I will address them one by one.

If you cannot, kindly retract the statement above.

::)

I am quite sure, that for example, when you speak (and perhaps write), you no longer distinguish between there is/there are as most Americans do these days, have no conception of the difference between an object and a subject and regularly botch past participles in subjunctive constructions. Put your money where your mouth is,  O Worldly and Great One.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »
REward?

they should be deported if they don't speak passible english in 18 months.

Reward wasn't meant to be taken literally. I meant that we actually cater to Spanish speaking people and people who speak other languages instead of them accommodating us. They can't understand us or speak English clearly so we're the ones who have to go out of our way despite the fact that first and foremost this is an English speaking country.

Please cite specific examples and I will address them one by one.

If you cannot, kindly retract the statement above.

::)

I am quite sure, that for example, when you speak (and perhaps write), you no longer distinguish between there is/there are as most Americans do these days, have no conception of the difference between an object and a subject and regularly botch past participles in subjunctive constructions. Put your money where your mouth is,  O Worldly and Great One.

I distinguish between there is and there are when I'm looking to type with proper grammar. Being that this is an internet forum, I couldn't care less. However, you who claims to be an academic and apparently prides yourself on speaking perfect English can be quite amusing when you butcher it. Those poor Korean kids trying to learn proper grammar. I feel for them.  :'(

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm not sure he ever said the line "we should speak Spanish", did he?

I think it was interpreted.  He was joking about how most other countries have bilingual kids, and we don't.  valid, but didn't come out right.

There are far better reasons to crap on obama :)

What goads me is that he said:

They will learn English.

BULL SH!T

They are not learning english.   Come to California and i'll take you to whole communities that don't speak english.

Start with neighborhoods in Holister and Salinas

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »

Many would suggest the path of pragmatism, however, I believe learning any language would be both rewarding and enriching. To that end I would not specify any language in particular, rather I would encourage Americans to move away from their monolingualism in general.
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
Reward wasn't meant to be taken literally. I meant that we actually cater to Spanish speaking people and people who speak other languages instead of them accommodating us. They can't understand us or speak English clearly so we're the ones who have to go out of our way despite the fact that first and foremost this is an English speaking country.

No shit.  I'll take you down the road a bit further.  do you realize that  50% of class time in some school districts in Cali are done in Spanish?

That's fvcking BULL SH!T!!!!!   I really have a problem pay taxes so that we cater to people who refuse to teach their children English.

I say learn it, or GET the FVCK out.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

I distinguish between there is and there are when I'm looking to type with proper grammar. Being that this is an internet forum, I couldn't care less. However, you who claims to be an academic and apparently prides yourself on speaking perfect English can be quite amusing when you butcher it. Those poor Korean kids trying to learn proper grammar. I feel for them.  :'(

Cite specific examples please. Otherwise you are (as usual) just blowing hot air.

Your lack of care is readily apparent.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »
Cite specific examples please. Otherwise you are (as usual) just blowing hot air.

You're saying you haven't called yourself an academic on here? Oh brother.  ::)

No shit.  I'll take you down the road a bit further.  do you realize that  50% of class time in some school districts in Cali are done in Spanish?

That's fvcking BULL SH!T!!!!!   I really have a problem pay taxes so that we cater to people who refuse to teach their children English.

I say learn it, or GET the FVCK out.

Didn't know that. That's pretty pathetic. That 50% should be spent teaching English.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »

i can.

Schools for one.  I children went to a school were this happened.

There are paid interpreters for city and state agencies.  

On top of that, Many documents and manuals have to published in spanish from these agencies

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »

Didn't know that. That's pretty pathetic. That 50% should be spent teaching English.

I don't know if you meant "in English"  but i'm talking about ALL subjects.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »
You're saying you haven't called yourself an academic on here? Oh brother.  ::)

We call that a non-sequitur. Look it up.

You specifically criticised my English as being poor. You claimed that I am teaching English students improper grammar. I asked you for concrete examples of this; you have provided no such examples. Your argument is worthless without examples of my alleged 'poor English'.

How old are you?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
i can.

Schools for one.  I children went to a school were this happened.

There are paid interpreters for city and state agencies.  

On top of that, Many documents and manuals have to published in spanish from these agencies

I asked BF for examples concerning my alleged poor English; I care not a wit about the other issue.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
Your English is terrible. Thanks for not knowing how to convey what point you're trying to make. First you're asking me to cite your typing. Then you ask me to cite your claims of being academic. And now you expected me to just put 2+2 together and realize you were talking about your grammar again? Terrible English while lacking the ability to convey your point. Way to go.  ::)

By the way, I'll be damned if I'm going to go through your posting history to dig up examples. You can't honestly think anyone cares about you that much? I'll just point it out the next time you slip up, "academic."  ::)
I don't know if you meant "in English"  but i'm talking about ALL subjects.

I mean English. If they spent enough time teaching English to these kids, they wouldn't need to be teaching all the subjects in Spanish.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »
I asked BF for examples concerning my alleged poor English; I care not a wit about the other issue.

oh  ok.   ;D

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »
I think its great if an individual decides to learn a second language, but like some have said, how can we suggest Americans learn Spanish when so many hear do not and do not try to learn? And I don't like the message, but I really don't like the pompus way he delivers it. I used to think when people called him elitist, they were talking out of there ass. But after watching this, I think he is. And like I said, why go from an ultra conservative to an ultra liberal? Just doesn't make sense to me.