Author Topic: Obama seeks info on Dodd in vice president search  (Read 625 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama seeks info on Dodd in vice president search
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
Bad decision.  Shouldn't have a guy who is clueless about the military joined by a guy who has no military background. 

Obama seeks info on Dodd in vice president search
By NEDRA PICKLER – 15 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Barack Obama's presidential campaign has requested information from Democratic Sen. Chris Dodd as part of its search for a possible vice presidential candidate.

The former White House hopeful and Connecticut lawmaker indicated Wednesday that he has been approached by the campaign. "There's been some inquiries, yeah," Dodd said. "They ask for a lot of stuff. I'll leave it there."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton and Dodd's Senate office declined comment Thursday.

Recent moves by Obama have stoked speculation about the search for the No. 2 on the Democratic ticket. On Wednesday, Obama made an unscheduled stop at the building housing the law firm of one of his search committee members, Eric Holder. Obama also traveled to New York with another member of the search team, Caroline Kennedy.

Dodd, 64, is a five-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume. A fluent speaker of Spanish, Dodd served in the Peace Corps and has had a strong interest in Latin American affairs throughout his career. A longtime member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he's been able to wield a heavy influence on U.S. involvement in the region.

Recently, Dodd, who chairs the Senate Banking Committee, has struggled with allegations that he got cut-rate mortgages from a leading offender in the subprime mortgage meltdown.

Amid speculation about potential vice presidential candidates, some have refused to comment while others have been coy.

On Wednesday, Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri shook her head and cut off a question about whether Obama or his team had asked her for documents to review. "I'm not going to talk about it," she said.

Responding to the same question, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius issued a statement, saying: "The decision and timetable for the best person to help Sen. Obama lead the country is entirely up to him. All of us who support Sen. Obama have been asked to direct questions about his choice for vice president to the campaign."

A few others indicated they hadn't been approached, including Delaware Sen. Joe Biden. He said he is not seeking the job but also indicated he couldn't turn it down if asked. Still, he said: "I made it clear to him and everybody else, I never worked for anybody in my life. I got here when I was 29. I never had a boss. I don't know how I'd handle it."

Freshman Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado said he had not been approached.

Recently, others thought to be on Obama's list have indicated they lack interest in the job. Virginia Sen. Jim Webb issued a statement Monday that said he had told Obama he intended to remain in the Senate and "under no circumstances will I be a candidate for vice president."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxVW-aUPQsPkU0JKEleSPNCyxSsAD91RCQRO0

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Obama seeks info on Dodd in vice president search
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »
I'd almost like to see him pick Hagel even though I'm not a fan of Hagel.  I think it would mean a zero chance of a McCain win.  But Obama would really have to watch his back.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
I'd almost like to see him pick Hagel even though I'm not a fan of Hagel.  I think it would mean a zero chance of a McCain win.  But Obama would really have to watch his back.

Hagel would be an interesting choice, but I don't think any VP would guarantee a win for either one, because people vote the top of the ticket.  Even Powell as McCain's VP wouldn't guarantee a win. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »
Dodd... foreign policy experience AND money experience.  He might cover both of Obama's needs at once.
ESPECIALLY when you consider Iraq may not be an issue, if the SOFA is signed, or Iraq tells us to leave.

DODD:
five-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume.
A fluent speaker of Spanish,
Dodd served in the Peace Corps
strong interest in Latin American affairs
longtime member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Dodd chairs the Senate Banking Committee