Author Topic: Halarious Stuff I Took From a Friends Site  (Read 3113 times)

The Coach

Halarious Stuff I Took From a Friends Site
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »

20 Things that make me shake my head
by Alwyn Cosgrove

Editor's Note: Don't blame the title of this article on Alwyn. While having lunch with Mr. C and listening to his acerbic viewpoint on, well, just about everything, I was reminded of the old Saturday Night Live, Mike Myers skit where Myers played a Scottish shopkeeper whose motto was, "If it's not Scottish, it's Crap!" Naming the article after that line seemed appropriate.

— TC

This isn't my usual type of article. Rather than launch into a specific training program, TC's given me this opportunity to launch into an Alwyn Cosgrove rant. A brief warning for the timid, however: I am the king of the politically incorrect.

It has been said that if you don't piss off someone each day, then you're just not doing enough. That has become my mantra. I like to start early, too. There are days when I just wake up, switch on the TV and tell Matt Lauer to get fucked.

So in keeping with that sentiment, there are a few things I'd like to discuss.

1) YARDWORK

As a young lad growing up in rainy Scotland, my Dad used to have me move shit around. I dragged logs, lifted rocks, chopped wood, moved sandbags (to stop the rain from flowing into the house from the hill outside) and generally did manual labor. In exchange for my labors, I received a few pennies to spend.

I thought my Dad was a cantankerous old bastard.

Little did I know he was apparently a master strength and conditioning coach and this was merely my GPP phase.

Now people all over the world pay Master coaches like my dad large sums of money for the pleasure of moving shit around backyard gardens all over the world.

Brilliant!

2) FASTED CARDIO

Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously, are you fucking kidding me? Why are we even talking about this?

Let's take two twins, both 200lbs, both doing the same training program, taking the same supplements, and following the same nutrition plan in the hopes of getting lean.

One difference, though: one of them eats 2 eggs and does 30 minutes of cardio three days per week. The other does 30 minutes of cardio, three days per week and THEN eats 2 eggs.

So what's the magical difference in terms of fat loss after six months? Drum roll please...

I'll tell you — no fucking difference.

However, whenever you bring up this question we get a ton of responses saying, "This is exactly the information I needed!". Oh fuck off. The reason you are still fat is because you couldn't decide to do cardio on an empty stomach or not?

30 minutes of steady state cardio will burn about 300 calories. Three times per week – 900 calories. Add that up for 26 weeks and we get a whopping: 23,400 calories.

Or 6.6 lbs of fat.

In six months.

If doing it fasted, burned 30% more (which it doesn't), you're looking at another 2lbs of fat in that same six month period.

Or an additional 0.07 pounds per week.

And for those of you who say – I do fasted cardio but I have a small scoop of protein first, then you're NOT DOING IT FASTED THEN, ARE YOU?

Fat people finish marathons all the time. Aerobic training doesn't do a hell of a lot for real world fat loss. Even if you're hungry.
3) BOOT CAMPS

Boot camp is where trainee soldiers go to learn the art of war, get in shape, and prepare to be on the front line. What your gym offers is known to children all around the world as playing soldier.

Dressing up in green camouflage and having someone yelling at you to keep your feet six inches off the ground while you're lying in the mud is not cutting edge fitness training. Its cutting edge fucking stupid is what it is.

The guys at Camp Pendleton are preparing to go into battle; at Camp Happy Fitness LA or whatever it's called, they're pretending to go into battle. And you're 30 years old. Fucking stop it. Next you'll be pointing your finger and pretend-shooting people.

And while we're at it, Tae Bo is not going to make you a ninja.

4) BODYPART SPLITS

I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together — each of which can be worked separately.

My arse.

You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?

And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".

There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.

Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.

5) PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR PROTEIN POWDER OR VITAMINS BASED ON PRICE

There is a reason that you pay less for some brands. It's because they suck.

Why are you making a decision on whether or not to consume something (sometimes two or more times per day) based solely on price? And do not fucking start me up by saying the ingredients are the same.

All cars have four wheels, a seat, an engine, and a steering wheel, but a Corvette is a little different than a Chevette.

Coal is cheap. Diamonds are expensive. Try giving your girlfriend a coal ring for your engagement and explain that it's the same thing and it's just marketing. She'll cut your dick off and put it on display in a pickle jar. Which brings me to my next point...

6) PICKLES

Every restaurant and deli on the face of this country puts a green, lumpy, decomposing, venereal-disease ridden penis on my plate. Or chopped up in my sandwich.

Oozing green fluids.

In the US they call it a dill pickle and it is clearly the sign of the devil. It is a dead decomposing cucumber that looks like a penis, and it's been kept from rotting by liberal use of vinegar. And you expect me to eat it?

I do not like green penises with my lunch, I do not like them Sam-I-am.

7) DOING BICEPS CURLS WHEN YOU CAN'T DO A SINGLE CHIN UP

Enough said.

8) INTERNET SUPER-TRAINERS WHO HAVE TRAINED ABOUT THREE PEOPLE, EVER, IF THAT. AND GOT NO RESULTS

You know who you are.

9) PROGRAMS THAT VIOLATE BASIC TRAINING PRINCIPLES

You can't forget that maximal voluntary contractions are necessary to improve. Overload. If you don't overload the muscles, nothing happens. No matter how cool, big, clever, cutting edge, or exciting it sounds.

10) PEOPLE LOOKING FOR THE FAT LOSS SECRET

I can vividly remember doing a photo shoot at our gym with a male client who had lost 85lbs of fat and now had a nice six-pack to show for his efforts.

My own gym members came up and asked me what his "secret" was.

There is no secret.

They seemed to think I'd given him the "real" information and had withheld it from them! He's been given the same advice as I give to everyone else — he just chose to follow it a little more closely.

Fat loss is not under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. It's based on simple changes in behavior. Granted, there are programs out there that work better than others, but it's more likely because some programs violate number #9 above.

11) "WESTSIDE" TRAINING

You aren't training Westside unless you are actually in Ohio at the Westside Barbell Club. So stop pretending.

Jim Wendler once told me he sees people doing different things at the real Westside club all the time so he has no idea what "Westside" is when people talk about it.

"If you don't train at or have trained at Westside then you are NOT WESTSIDE! I am sick of people tagging this to their work especially when they have never stepped foot in the gym. They need to understand Westside is more than a program, far more."

— Dave Tate

And another thing, understand that the Westside model of training is a very advanced strength training method that combines max effort methods with dynamic effort methods and repeated effort methods in a conjugated periodization model solely to enhance the performance (strength) of three movement patterns – bench, squat, and deadlift.

Is it a great method? Absolutely.

Is it the best method for rehabbing an injury, developing mobility, improving your chin up performance or developing lactate tolerance? Nope.

It won't work for everything. You can hammer in a nail with a screwdriver, but a hammer will work better. Use the correct tool for each job.

Coming soon though: Westside for triathletes, Westside for window cleaners, and Westside for basket weaving.

12) PERFECT ROUTINE SEEKERS

There is no perfect routine. The fact that your favorite author just published a new workout that is "exactly what I've been waiting for!" just shows us that you have no long term plan for any type of success and are unlikely to make any progress.

Stick with the basics, and stick with them long enough so you get an adaptation. Don't change too often. It's clear to me that most people follow completely uncomplimentary workouts for short periods of time. Success will only come when you commit to a long term program where each phase complements the previous phase. A program is a long term approach for success. A workout or a phase of a program only works as a part of the big picture.

13) CHARLES STALEY

Okay Charles, we get it. do more work in less time. Enough already.

14) CHAD WATERBURY PUTTING SALT IN HIS BEER

I saw him. Apparently it makes you pee less often. But it didn't work. I'm still wondering about that. And the fact that I counted who peed the most concerns me also.

15) COACHES WITH NO HAIR

Are Chad and I the only coaches who still have hair? Yes I'm talking to you, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, Paul Chek, Charles Staley, Pavel Tsatsouline, Zach Even-Esh, Joe DeFranco, Ian King, Jason Ferrugia, and Christian Thibaudeau...

Woah. That list was bigger than I thought! Maybe I need to shave my head.

PS: Dave Tate doesn't really shave his head–-he has the wrap around going on though. But that's only because he can't reach the back of his head to shave it.

16) RYAN SEACREST

Come on America. How did this neo-maxi-zundweebie (points for the movie) become a star?

17) PEOPLE WHO ASK ABOUT SUPPLEMENTS AND DON'T FLOSS

Okay. I stole this one from Dan John. But if you don't have the discipline to floss your teeth twice a day (which has been proven beyond any doubt to be worthwhile, not only in terms of dental hygiene, but also in terms of inflammation and heart health), then how do you expect to suddenly develop the discipline to take four pills three times a day to see a small benefit?

18) PAPER AND PENCIL PROGRAMS

There are some people out there who write programs/articles that are absolutely shit. They are so desperate to see their name in print that they come up with fictional garbage just to sound cool.

Just because it looks good on paper, doesn't mean it will work worth a shit in real life.

19) "A CALORIE IS A CALORIE"

F-u-c-k.

100 calories of broccoli and 100 calories of frosted flakes are exactly the same are they? I know JB could lose his mind on this one, so I won't go too deep into it.

However, we also have to mention that calories do count and unfortunately you cannot eat unlimited amounts of the food you would like and still get lean. And you do not need something sweet to finish your meal. Do you realize how much you just ate? You don't need anything.

20) SPECIALIZATION ROUTINES THAT SUCK

I spoke about this before but skinny arms are not caused by a lack of curls. So some arse of a trainer suggests you "improve your chin ups" and he typically gives you a cutting edge article that just has you try to do a lot of chins.

Why, you fucking genius trainer, you!!

I can't do a lot of chin-ups but you, in your almighty wisdom, have solved my problem by suggesting that I just try to do more! Wow! Is that the Weider "do more of it" principle or is it from the Soviets?

Conclusion

Sometimes the world needs a slap. I plan on giving it one now and again. When the time comes that I've shaken my head enough times in the near future, you'll get part two of this series. Until then – behave.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Halarious Stuff I Took From a Friends Site
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »
thats a lot of reading....I stopped where it said "20 things"

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
thats a lot of reading....I stopped where it said "20 things"

Brutal ADHD.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
come on coach, we know your not friends w/cosgrove so stop name dropping :)

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
come on coach, we know your not friends w/cosgrove so stop name dropping :)

Met him a few years ago when I went up to his gym in Santa Clarita and have kept in touch and visit every so often. Last time I was there was last month when JB was here. We went for lunch to celebrate his second birthday (he beat cancer twice and this is his second year in remission). We talk about once a month or so. If your intrested, he's doing a TPI seminar in October at the Anaheim convention center.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
that was an enjoyable read.

thanks

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »
yea we all know he beat cancer and he has a hot wife bla bla bla :)

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
yea we all know he beat cancer and he has a hot wife bla bla bla :)

Who's we all? How many people on here actually know who Alwyn is? Very few on here that I can think of.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
Alwyn is hilarious in person. 
We did a seminar together with a number of other people at EliteFTS in Ohio a few months ago.  He had a great presentation. 

He's one of the few people that can break down complex physiology into layman's terms.  When someone can explain something you should have no business understanding....using words and analogies you CAN understand, you know he knows what he's talking about.....not just memorizing definitions.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 02:26:07 PM »
I agree with the bolded.

On another note, Alwyn busted for plagiarism:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=190283281#post190634101

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »
Brutal ADHD.

well....I am a borderline dyslexic & I also have a reading comprehension problem which is probably associate with it.

so....I post on getbig...makes sense?

james_hetfield

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
Who's we all? How many people on here actually know who Alwyn is? Very few on here that I can think of.

do you always try to prove how much you know by name dropping the coaches you know?
Just couse you tag along wit cosgrove or berardi doesnt mean shit.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily call this hilarious.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »
If you don't already have ADHD, getbig.com will make you develop it, just give it enough time... After enough time here you can only concentrate on one thing for 30 seconds at the most then you will have to change to something else.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 03:00:45 PM »
Haha - good list man - interesting reading.  8)

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
hes just another schmuck writing and beating on a dead horse

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
I agree with the bolded.

On another note, Alwyn busted for plagiarism:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=190283281#post190634101

well if you read one of those guys' articles youve read them all ( cosgrove, waterbury, roussell ) they all pretty much say the same thing and have the same ideals, so I am not one bit suprised he got busted for plagirism.

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
Here's a post by TC on T-Nation:

Guys,

Never practice contempt prior to investigation.

Here are the emails between Alwyn and Lyle concerning this allegation:

Lyle,
I want to address your public accusation of plagiarism and set the record straight.

You may not recall but the chapter in question originally began life as a client handout - and then appeared in my what was tentatively titled Afterburn II and subsequently became two products - Afterburn II (workouts) and the "Real World Fat Loss" Manual.

This was after prior agreement with you via email (see attached emails below).

The chapter is found in the Real World Fat Loss (RWFL) Manual on pages 16-20. The chapter actually ends at the bottom of page 19. On page 20 of the manual the following text appears:

Quote:
(This chapter has been highly influenced by the work of Lyle McDonald and is essentially a very brief summary of his Fat Metabolism chapter in "The Ultimate Diet 2.0. I'd like to thank Lyle for his help both personally and professionally and his contributions to this field. I strongly urge you to check out Lyle's website �?? www.bodyrecomposition.ne t).
When we reprinted this chapter from the RWFL manual into the Warp Speed Fat Loss product, the above paragraph was inadvertently omitted.

This oversight was rectified immediately when this was brought to my attention.

I want to reiterate that this was always listed as a summary of your chapter - never passed off as my work.

The fact that the acknowledging paragraph was not included in WSFL was a huge oversight on my part, and I would have corrected it and rectified it with anyone who had purchased it immediately had you or anyone else simply brought this to my attention. I am deeply sorry about that omission.

It was not my intention to not give proper credit, but it was my responsibility and I failed in that, and I want to make it publicly known that I fault no one but myself for that error.

I would be happy to speak with you about this further if you want to give me a call.

--
Alwyn Cosgrove

Above referenced email exchange:

From Alwyn Cosgrove
To Lyle McDonald
Date Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 8:45 PM

I'm also working on Afterburn II.

I am going to put in a chapter on fat metabolism.
To be honest it will be a short summary - nothing in depth.

However your chapter in UD2.0 has influenced me the most, to the point where I'd feel uncomfortable not saying that directly in the text.
basically the chapter will be primarily a summary of your chapter plus a few others (your chapter is 2200 words, the summary is about 600- 750).

In other words I want to credit you directly in that chapter.

The Coach

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
do you always try to prove how much you know by name dropping the coaches you know?
Just couse you tag along wit cosgrove or berardi doesnt mean shit.

It's not really name dropping since this is a bodybuilding board and he trains strength and conditioning. You're right it doesn't mean shit on here. Flexingtonsteel is the one who said I didn't know him and I just said yes I did. I work with alot S&C coachs so I can keep learning.

There are very few trainers and people on here and in BBing who I have actual respect for because of their knowledge. Disgusted and Troponin off the top of my head and on here, VanBilderass, Usmokepole come too mind.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

The Coach

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 09:41:12 AM »
well if you read one of those guys' articles youve read them all ( cosgrove, waterbury, roussell ) they all pretty much say the same thing and have the same ideals, so I am not one bit suprised he got busted for plagirism.

Someone recently started this on the Strengthcoach.com boards. Before accusing someone and judging, do a little research;

I found this very interesting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/07/09/plagiarism-part-2/

On Tuesday, I wrote a little bit of an introduction to the issue of plagiarism on the internet, giving a couple of examples that, at the end of the day don't affect me an iota. In that post, I mentioned that I would be talking about a situation that does affect me and that's today's post.

That post involves my Ultimate Diet 2.0 (written and published in 2003) and the new book by Alwyn Cosgrove and Mike Rousseau Warp Speed Fat Loss released earlier this year.

In the context of this issue, I'd only mention that Alwyn was one of the people who tested out my original Stubborn Fat Protocol (now titled the SFP 1.0 in the my new book The Stubborn Fat Solution).

Imagine my surprise when I saw the original protocol repeated verbatim in New Rules of Lifting completely uncredited.

Now, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, I imagine the guys publishing the book didn't really want my name put in the book so Alwyn may not have had anything to do with that. So I let that slide.

Hence, I wasn't particularly stunned to see that same protocol repeated (uncredited yet again), in Warp Speed Fat Loss. So it goes.

However, consider my surprise when, upon reading the chapter detailing how fat is burned, I noticed quite a few similarities to my own original text from my Ultimate Diet 2.0.

And when I say similarities, what I mean to say is 'this text is literally word for word what I wrote.'

Yes, some bits were simplified or changed a touch but there were too many places where the text is identical (including one hysterical place where my same bolded emphasis was included. You'll see it below).

Alwyn appears to have sat there with the e-book of my UD2 and just copy and pasted my text into his book.

And, fine, I'm quite sure you can argue (and by argue I mean rationalize) that this information can only be presented in so many ways, anybody detailing the steps of fat burning would probably write something similar. I don't disagree.

But it's pretty clear that this is pretty much a copy and paste job.

That's plagiarism. That's theft. Plain and simple.

And now it's time to show the world exactly what he did. I'm sure the Cosgrove apologists will find excuses for why Al thought he could rip me off (and not get caught) but hopefully some people will see him for what he is.

In any case, below I've laid out my original text from the chapter on fat loss from my Ultimate Diet 2.0 versus Alwyn's chapter on burning fat from Warp Speed Fat Loss exactly as they appear in the respective books. I haven't changed the order or flow in any way.

My text appears first, Alwyn's appears second indented for ease of reading.

Lyle

First, let me elaborate on what it means to lose or “burn” body fat. What this means is that the fat stored in your fat cells is removed from those cells and converted to energy elsewhere in the body. Most tissues in the body (there are a few exceptions such as the brain) can use fatty acids for fuel, but the main ones we are interested in are skeletal muscle and the liver.

What do we actually mean when we talk about “burning” bodyfat? We mean that the fat stored in the fat cells is removed and “burned” as energy. Most tissues in the body can use fat for fuel, but the main one for our purposes is muscle tissue.

Step 1: Mobilization
Recall from last chapter that body fat is primarily stored triglyceride, with a small amount of water and some enzymatic and cellular machinery. Mobilizing body fat requires that we first break down the stored triglyceride into three fatty acids and a molecule of glycerol. The rate limiting step in this process is an enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase (HSL).

Mobilization
Bodyfat is essentially stored triglyceride, with a small amount of water. Mobilizing bodyfat requires that we first break down the triglyceride into free fatty acids. The limiting step (i.e. the one thing that can hold us back) in this process is an enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase (HSL).

Although a number of hormones such as testosterone, cortisol, estrogen, and growth hormone have modulating effects on HSL activity (mainly increasing or decreasing total levels of HSL in the fat cell), the only hormones that we need to be concerned with in terms of HSL activity are insulin and the catecholamines.

Although a number of hormones effect HSL, the only hormones that we need to be concerned with in terms of HSL activity are insulin and the catecholamines.

The primary inactivator of HSL is the hormone insulin and it only takes very tiny amounts (depending on insulin sensitivity) to have an effect. Even fasting insulin levels are sufficient to inactivate HSL by nearly 50%. Small increases in insulin (from either protein or carbohydrate intake) inactivate HSL further.

Insulin is the main inactivator of HSL and it only takes very small amounts to have a detrimental effect. Fasting insulin levels are sufficient to reduce HSL activity by nearly 50%. Small increases in insulin (from food intake) also inactivate HSL.

Additionally, the mere presence of triglycerides in the bloodstream (via infusion or by just eating dietary fat by itself) also inhibits HSL activity so this isn't as simple as just blaming insulin. One way or another, any time you eat, HSL is going to be inactivated, either by the increase in insulin from protein or carbs or the presence of fat in the bloodstream from eating fat.

Additionally, the mere presence of fat in the blood inhibits HSL activity. Basically any time you eat, HSL activity is reduced.

The primary hormones which activate HSL are the catecholamines: adrenaline and noradrenaline. Adrenaline is released from the adrenal cortex, traveling through the bloodstream to affect numerous tissues in the body. This means that blood flow to fat cells has an impact on how much or how little adrenaline will reach fat cells.

The main activators of HSL are the catecholamines: primarily adrenaline. Adrenaline is a 'energy' hormone released from the adrenal cortex, and travels through the bloodstream. This means that blood flow has an impact on how
much adrenaline will reach fat cells.

A tangent: All about adrenoreceptors
All hormones work through specific receptors and the catecholamines are no different, they have their own specific receptors called adrenoreceptors.

The catecholamines have their own specific receptors called adrenoreceptors.

There are two major classes of adrenoreceptors: beta and alpha, which are found all over the body.

There are two major adrenoreceptors: beta and alpha, which are found all over the body.

The main receptors we need to worry about in human fat cells are alpha-2 receptors and beta-1 and beta-2 receptors, both of which actively bind the catecholamine hormones.

The main receptors in fat cells are alpha-2 receptors and beta-1,2 receptors, both of which actively bind the catecholamines.

When catecholamines bind to beta-1,2 receptors, they increase cAMP levels, which increases fat breakdown. Great. However, when the catecholamines bind alpha-2 receptors, they decrease cAMP levels which decreases fat breakdown. Not great. But it means that catecholamines, which I told you were fat mobilizers, can actually send both fat mobilizing and anti-fat mobilizing signals: by binding to either alpha- or beta-receptors.

When catecholamines bind to beta receptors, they increase fat breakdown. However, when they bind to alpha receptors, fat breakdown decreases. Therefore, depending on receptor binding, catecholamines can actually increase or decrease fat mobilization.

So why does this matter? Different areas of body fat have different distributions of alpha-2 and beta-1,2 adrenoreceptors. For example, women's lower body fat (hips and thighs) have been found to have 9 times as many alpha-2 receptors as beta-1,2 receptors.

This is important as different fat deposits have different distributions of alpha and beta adrenoreceptors. For example, women's lower body fat has been shown to have nine times as many alpha receptors as beta receptors

Now you know part of why its so difficult to reduce these stubborn fat areas; with a greater number of alpha-2 receptors to bind catecholamines, it's that much more difficult to stimulate fat breakdown in those fat cells.

This is why it's so difficult to reduce these stubborn fat areas; with a greater number of alpha receptors to bind catecholamines, it's much more difficult to stimulate fat breakdown in those fat cells

Back to mobilization: Summing up
I should note that insulin pretty much always wins the battle over fat cell metabolism. That is, even in the face of high catecholamine levels, if insulin is elevated, fat mobilization will be impaired.

It's important to realize that insulin pretty much always wins the battle over fat cell metabolism. Regardless of catecholamine levels, if insulin is elevated, fat mobilization will be impaired.

The real take home message is that, from a fat mobilization standpoint, we want low insulin and high catecholamine levels. Both can be readily accomplished by altering diet (lowering carbohydrates and calories) and exercise (which increases catecholamines).

The real world message is that, from a fat mobilization standpoint, we want low insulin and high catecholamine levels. Both can be easily achieved by altering diet (lowering carbohydrates) and exercise (which increases catecholamines).

Step 2: Blood flow and transport
So imagine a situation where insulin is low and the catecholamines are high, causing stored triglyceride to be broken down (the technical word is hydrolyzed) to glycerol and free fatty acids (FFAs). So now we have albumin-bound FFAs sitting in the circulation surrounding the fat cell Since the FFA can't be burned there, it has to be transported away from the fat cell; this depends on blood flow to and from the fat cell.

So we break down the stored bodyfat into free fatty acids (FFAs) which enter the bloodstream. Since the FFA can't be burned in the bloodstream, it has to be transported away from the fat cell; this depends on blood flow to and from the fat cell.

As with insulin sensitivity and adrenoreceptor ratios, fat depots differ in terms of blood flow. Visceral fat, for example, has an extremely high blood flow relative to other fat depots. Visceral fat is mobilized fairly easily and, because of this, it generally goes away the fastest (especially with exercise).

Fat deposits also differ in terms of blood flow. Visceral fat (the fat the sits around your internal organs), for example, has an extremely high blood flow and is therefore mobilized fairly easily and generally is reduced fastest (especially with exercise).

Relative to visceral fat, abdominal (and probably low-back) fat has less blood flow, is less sensitive to the fat mobilizing effects of the catecholamines, and more sensitive to insulin. This makes it more stubborn than visceral fat.

Abdominal fat has less blood flow, is less sensitive to the catecholamines, and more sensitive to insulin. This makes it more stubborn than visceral fat.

So now we have yet another reason that stubborn fat is stubborn: poor blood flow which makes transporting the mobilized fatty acids away more difficult. Actually, it isn't entirely true that blood flow to stubborn fat cells is always slow. In response to a meal, blood flow to stubborn fat increases readily; at all other times, blood flow to stubborn fat is slow.

Blood flow to stubborn fat cells, however is not always slow. In response to a meal, blood flow to stubborn fat increases readily; at all other times, blood flow to stubborn fat is slow.

Basically, it's easier to store calories in stubborn fat than to get it back out.

Basically, it's easier to store calories in stubborn fat than to get it back out.

Studies show that women tend to have preferential increases in blood flow to their hips and thighs after a meal; the old wives' tale about fatty foods going straight to the hips turns out to be true after all.

Studies show that women tend to have increases in blood flow to their hips and thighs after a meal; the old saying “a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips” appears to be true after all!

But the point is made, poor blood flow to stubborn fat cells is yet another reason dieting to sub-average body fat levels is difficult. So how might we improve blood flow to and from fat cells? Blood flow to fat cells improves during fasting and, although we can't fast completely (too much muscle loss), we can mimic the condition with a low-carbohydrate/ketogenic diet. This fits in with our goal of lowering insulin in the first place and turns out to have an extra advantage that I'll discuss in a later chapter.

So poor blood flow to stubborn fat is yet another reason getting lean can be difficult. How do we improve this? Blood flow to fat cells improves during fasting and, although we obviously can't fast all the time, we can create a similar condition with a reduced carbohydrate diet, tying in with our goal of lowering insulin.

Step 3: Uptake and utilization
Eventually, the albumin-bound FFA will run into a tissue (such as the liver or muscle) which can use it for fuel.

Eventually, the FFA will run into a tissue (e.g. muscle) which can use it for fuel.

To be used for energy, the FFA has to be transported into the mitochondria by an enzyme called carnitine palmityl transferase (CPT).

To be used, the FFA has to be transported into the mitochondria by carnitine.

CPT activity is controlled by a few different factors, including your aerobic capacity (the more aerobically fit you are, the more fat you burn), as well as glycogen levels.

Carnitine activity is controlled by a few different factors, including your glycogen levels.

When glycogen is high, CPT activity is low and fat burning is low, and vice versa. This is true for both muscle and liver. By depleting muscle and liver glycogen, we can increase CPT activity, allowing us to burn off the fatty acids at a faster rate.

When glycogen is high, carnitine activity is low and fat burningis low, and vice versa. By depleting muscle glycogen, we can increase carnitine activity, allowing us to burn off the fat at a faster rate.

This is readily accomplished with the combination of lowered carbohydrates and intensive training which fits in with our other goals rather nicely anyhow.

As you can see – we can ramp up fat metabolism very effectively with the combination of lowered carbohydrates and intensive exercise.

message Posted By
Posted Jul 11,2008 9:37 PM   rketchum 
I will let AC respond and defend himself, but there was a post on t-nation including an email sent from AC to Lyle about the issue. It seems it was a simple mistake that AC made in ommitting the citing of the summary of material he was previously given permissiion to use.

It happens a lot, everyone (Mike, AC, and many others I have seen speak) is very up front about learning and using other coaches ideas and concepts to formulate their own programs.

In my eyes AC is one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in the field and I really look up to him and even "steal" a few of his programs and ideas to use with my clients and athletes.

I don't want to seem like I have my lips firmly planted on Alwyn's right butt cheek, but I think we should be careful of accusing people of something like this in public forums or private for that matter.

I would even go as far as saying that Lyle is using this to increase interest and sales of his products!?!?

I own the Warp Speed Fat Loss program and don't feel cheated one bit.

Ryan Ketchum

message Posted By
Posted Jul 11,2008 9:38 PM   Chris Rapoport 
If you are going to throw people under the bus, throw EVERYONE under the bus and post Part 1 too.

message Posted By
Posted Jul 11,2008 10:33 PM   mboyle 
I talked to Alwyn and Lyle had given him permission to use the info. In fact Alwyn has a copy of the email. I will vouch for Alwyn's character any time any place.

message Posted By
Posted Jul 12,2008 2:04 AM   bally 
Mike, it is my understanding that he gave permission for a different product years before hand, provided it was referenced. He did not give permission for this product and did not give permission for unreferenced use at any time.

Might be semantics, but raises interesting points for many people who are publishing material.

I did not post it to attack Cosgrove.

The take home message I guess is to be careful, with self publishing many of the previously routine checks are removed. One clearly needs to be double and triple check before publishing.

message Posted By
Posted Jul 12,2008 10:31 AM   ACosgrove 
All I can tell you is that as far as I'm concerned I was given permission to use that material previously. I referenced Lyle there. In fact I said it was a (600 word) summary of Lyle's (2200 word) chapter. I listed the chapter, chapter number, the book and provided a link to the website.

Unfortunately when Mike Roussell and I reprinted/republished that summary in Warp Speed Fat Loss - we inadvertently left out the reference/acknowledgment.

It was a genuine oversight, I apologized immediately to Lyle when it was brought to my attention. We corrected it, by adding the reference/acknowledgment as soon as it we could.

--
AC

Edited on Jul 12, 2008 11:51

message Posted By
Posted Jul 13,2008 7:13 PM   RDos 
Come on guys, how many of you would have simply called or emailed AC to ask why he wasn't referenced correctly etc.? My guess is that just about every single person here would have done that....the rationale way. LM had no intention of trying to personally contact AC, instead he did what he normally does, trys to start a shit-storm on his blog, forum etc. It's typical for him and his groupies. How do I know?? He's pulled the same s*** with me in the past.

Advanced Forum Index  Search messages Advanced Forum Settings 

HOME | SEARCH | JOIN TODAY | TELL A FRIEND

© 2001 - 2008 StrengthCoach.com
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.