Author Topic: The New Yorker... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10125 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: The New Yorker... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »
ARE THEY FUCKING SERIOUS >:(  THIS IS THEIR COVER >:(

Oh Wow, there's already a thread on this. I was looking for it before I event made the post.
And here I thought I was scooping the story.   :-[

Mods, could you please merge my thread with this one?

Thanks
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
Oh Wow, there's already a thread on this. I was looking for it before I event made the post.
And here I thought I was scooping the story.   :-[

Mods, could you please merge my thread with this one?

Thanks

oops  :-[  nevermind.
w

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »
Can't we just forget about this distraction? It's no more important than an episode of Days of Our Lives. The economy is taking a nose dive and the media and many people on this board just can't let this New Yorker story go. The people are gonna pick up the tab on this economic debacle, heads should be rolling over this situation. Sucked into the drama and ignoring issues of substance, AGAIN.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
Can't we just forget about this distraction? It's no more important than an episode of Days of Our Lives. The economy is taking a nose dive and the media and many people on this board just can't let this New Yorker story go. The people are gonna pick up the tab on this economic debacle, heads should be rolling over this situation. Sucked into the drama and ignoring issues of substance, AGAIN.

There is some substance involved becuase many people actually believe what the cover suggests.

Which is a good example of the state of American politics in that people believe in easily unsubstantiated accusations and lack objectivity.

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »
There is some substance involved becuase many people actually believe what the cover suggests.

Which is a good example of the state of American politics in that people believe in easily unsubstantiated accusations and lack objectivity.

I hear what your saying however, the seriousness of the current economy, the debt that will be incurred by every working person and the missing leadership by the majority of politicians, compared to this crappy drawing arent even in the same league of importance.

It's frustrating as hell to see this topic go on and on while we're getting economically rammed in the ass.

Rant over.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
I hear what your saying however, the seriousness of the current economy, the debt that will be incurred by every working person and the missing leadership by the majority of politicians, compared to this crappy drawing arent even in the same league of importance.

It's frustrating as hell to see this topic go on and on while we're getting economically rammed in the ass.

Rant over.
But we do talk about the serious things all the time too.  I agree to an extent.  It gets real annoying when an issue that should have been done the day it happened goes on for a week.  But at least here we're not neglecting the serious issues, we have been talking about the economy so it's not like we bailed on everything else to talk about this.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
haha they should have had rev wright in the background, with his hands up like he is praying, or dressed him up in a pimp suit.

oh well guess that can be a cover for a later month

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2008, 04:48:10 AM »

It's not just American politics, ...it permeates all issues, ...including things that would give the public relief from the immense pressures they're feeling right now, as the dollar goes down, and other things go up & up & up
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2008, 06:14:10 AM »
America's Satire-a-Thon
Kathleen Parker
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
townhall.com

WASHINGTON -- "Damn you and the likes of you to the bowels of hell, you ignorant racist bastard!"

So wrote an outraged Muslim to political cartoonist Doug Marlette a few years ago after he drew a cartoon featuring the prophet Muhammad.

Tens of thousands of Muslims bellowed, blogged and clogged until servers collapsed with hate mail and death threats.

No cartoon -- or cartoonist -- would go unpunished.

Here we go again.

Similar passions are being expressed this week in response to another cartoon, this time on the cover of the liberal-leaning New Yorker magazine. And this time, those railing against an "offensive" image are not religious fundamentalists of the far right, but political secularists of the far left.

Without even a wink at satire, the same righteous literal-mindedness that we tend to associate with the unenlightened has found expression among those who regard themselves as the most enlightened.

The cartoon prompting this latest run on smelling salts features Barack and Michelle Obama in the Oval Office. The senator, dressed in Muslim garb, is fist-bumping his wife, who sports an Angela Davis afro and wears a rifle slung over her shoulder. An American flag burns in the fireplace, over which hangs a portrait of someone resembling Osama bin Laden.

Get it? The play on exaggerated stereotypes? The un-nuanced spoofing of Americanus Ignoramus? But no.

Oh, the outrage. It's racist! shouts the left. It's stereotyping! Well, duh, cartoons are like that. It's feeding the ignorant misperceptions of the loony right!

As Marlette would say: "Puh-leez."

The intent of the illustration should be clear to anyone attuned to current events. Cartoonist Barry Blitt was poking fun at all the rumors and fearsome phobias circulating about the Obamas among a certain contingent. We know who they are.

Viral e-mails claim, for instance, that Obama is a Muslim; that Obama was sworn into the Senate using a Koran instead of a Bible; that Obama isn't a patriot because he refuses to wear a flag pin or put his hand over his heart during the national anthem; that Michelle Obama is militantly anti-American. And so on.

All these claims have been clarified and/or refuted for anyone curious enough to seek the truth. Even so, a certain percentage of people will continue to believe what they choose no matter what.

In any case, those about whom the outraged presumably are most concerned are: (1) unlikely to pick up a New Yorker; (2) unlikely to be swayed or disabused of their preconceptions. So what exactly are they worried about?

That yahoos just passing by a newsstand will see those images and have their paranoid suspicions confirmed?

Such is elitism at its most self-destructive. Art Spiegelman, Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist and former New Yorker staffer, put it nicely to the San Francisco Chronicle: "The essence of what they're saying is, 'I get it, but I don't trust the people in Kansas to get it.'"

Sanitizing satire either to buffer the sensitivities of those who consider themselves more highly evolved -- or to withhold kindling from those deemed less sophisticated -- is all of a piece.

Ignorance is the common denominator.

While one strain of ignorance likely springs from misinformation or a lack of educated knowledge, the other is more virulent by virtue of its opposite circumstances.

For his part, Obama may be missing a Sister Souljah opportunity to demonstrate both his smarts and his common sense. His campaign has called The New Yorker cover "tasteless and offensive." John McCain chimed in with "totally inappropriate."

Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph.

Far more important than anyone's feelings -- and Obama surely knows this -- is freedom of expression. Yet those who are objecting to the cover apparently think that only certain ideas should be expressed. And that some portion of conservative America is too stupid to get it.

Marlette, who died prematurely a year ago in a freak accident that robbed the world of his necessary voice, would say that we don't need protection from offensive words and images. Instead, he would insist that we need protection from those who would censor ideas they find objectionable and whose literal minds make common cause with fascist fundamentalists everywhere.

In the final calculation, unsophisticated yahoos, to the extent they really are, pose a lesser threat to the nation than an elitist intelligentsia convinced it knows what's best for the rest.

Copyright © 2008 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »
Once again the collective media get's it wrong and the court jester is the only one who get's it right:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=176628&title=obama-cartoon

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
Once again the collective media get's it wrong and the court jester is the only one who get's it right:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=176628&title=obama-cartoon

The official link states "This video is no longer available".
Not sure if it's a bandwidth limitation or simply just more censorship from my isp ... but YouTube has it.  :D

w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:22 PM »
July and Aug are crap months for mag sales.  This one's going to be huge. Someone's getting a big bonus!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »
July and Aug are crap months for mag sales.  This one's going to be huge. Someone's getting a big bonus!
stop... we're not allowed to talk about it.  We've been scolded by Jon Stewart ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:58 AM »
hahahaha

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2008, 07:03:09 AM »
And that Cindy McCain "is a druggie whore thief"

show some respect, beach Bum.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2008, 07:19:05 AM »
hahahaha

funny, but that is the difference isn't it.  I've heard most of the people, unfortunately even Jon Stewart make a comparison to the Muslims freaking out over the cartoons.  But that's just wrong, because nobody is saying the New Yorker doesn't have the right to publish the toon, we're exercising out right to disagree with the cartoon.  The Muslims called for the death of people over cartoons while we just said took issue with them doing it, not threatend their lives for doing it.  So there is a huge difference.  One is normal, the other is crazy.  I'm kind of disappointed in Jon Stewart, he doesn't often get it wrong but he did on this.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »
hilarious! 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »
Just to be fair.  Maybe we'll see this on the next cover of the New Yorker.  lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »

Note how you took my comment out of context, ommited the question mark, and failed to indicate that I was quoting Ozmo's comments.  I expect nothing less from a CT nut.  :)

Both.  What's the factual basis for your contention that McCain "went to a church with someone who thought Katrina was God wrath for all the sin in NO"? 

And that Cindy McCain "is a druggie whore thief"?  Present tense. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
And that Cindy McCain "is a druggie whore thief"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
Just to be fair.  Maybe we'll see this on the next cover of the New Yorker.  lol

That or he might have a few in his cheeks.   :D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
You righties don't actually compare this to the muslim freak on cartoons do you ???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
You righties don't actually compare this to the muslim freak on cartoons do you ???

It was a joke. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
That or he might have a few in his cheeks.   :D

mccain has swollen glands in his cheeks. 

Are his health problems funny to you, beach bum?

Show some respect to the man.