Author Topic: Noise/Sound cancelling headphones  (Read 2132 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Noise/Sound cancelling headphones
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »
I am looking for headphones that cancel the most possible sound that don't use any batteries or circuitry.  Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks!
R

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Noise/Sound cancelling headphones
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:33:50 AM »
I use Shure E2c sound isolating earphones.

Are you specifically after headphones?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »
I have tried many of these (batteries, plug ins, gel packs, etc.) from my days in general aviation with a prop plane.  Wasn't impressed with any of them.  The only real solution is to get a jet engine.

Seriously, let us know if you find one you really like.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:40:25 AM »
I have tried many of these (batteries, plug ins, gel packs, etc.) from my days in general aviation with a prop plane.  Wasn't impressed with any of them.  The only real solution is to get a jet engine.

WTF are you talking about?

Does this having anything to do with gay sexual encounters?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:42:12 AM »
I use Shure E2c sound isolating earphones.

Are you specifically after headphones?
Yes, headphones.  I want to use them for sleeping.  That's why I don't want any batteries or circuitry.

I was surfing last night and saw the Shure brand.  Would they help my ipod experience at the gym - ie: muffling the sound of the the girl that pops her gum constantly and the clicking cardio machines make when people use no resistance and go 100 mph?

Bay, what are the gel packs like?  Did you insert them into regular headphones? 

I would like the most possible noise gone.  I don't want to hear anything if possible!
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:43:44 AM »

Prop planes are very loud even in the interior of the cabin.
R

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
Yes, headphones.  I want to use them for sleeping.  That's why I don't want any batteries or circuitry.

I was surfing last night and saw the Shure brand.  Would they help my ipod experience at the gym - ie: muffling the sound of the the girl that pops her gum constantly and the clicking cardio machines make when people use no resistance and go 100 mph?

I'm also the guy that grunts, and throws weights around, I do it just to piss people off  :-* who want quiet time in the gym  :-*

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »

I'm also the guy that grunts, and throws weights around, I do it just to piss people off  :-* who want quiet time in the gym  :-*
hahaha!...we like watching people like you ;D...it's the gum poppers and the noisy equipment that we'd like to muffle
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:22:12 AM »

Does this having anything to do with gay sexual encounters?

You've really got cock on the brain don't you?  You closet cases are all alike.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »

Bay, what are the gel packs like?  Did you insert them into regular headphones? 

I would like the most possible noise gone.  I don't want to hear anything if possible!

The gels are like regular noise canceling headphones but the foamy part that actually touches around your entire ear is filled with some kind of gel.  It was supposed to be some new (which means very expensive) technological leap forward in noise canceling technology, but I didn't notice much of a difference/improvement.  I didn't have the heart to tell that to my friend who had spent so much money on them.  :-\

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
I can recommend Etymotics. Sound terrific too.
http://www.etymotic.com/

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
I can recommend Etymotics. Sound terrific too.
http://www.etymotic.com/

Thanks for that link!

The main thing I am looking for is a comfortable headset that covers the ears completely to block out all (if possible) noise.  I plan to try to "make something" attached to a pillow that you wear on your head to sleep so I can't hear snoring. :-\  If it works and someone wanted to mass market it could be a billion dollar idea  :P
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:54:08 AM »
I am looking for headphones that cancel the most possible sound that don't use any batteries or circuitry.  Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks!

noise cancelling headphones..like the ones Bose makes are REALLY bad for your ears.

Remember stells, they r noise cancelling not noise reducing.

ie lets say sound waves are sine waves that your ear hears

well noise cancelling headphones just put out inverse sine waves to cancel out the noise.

in effect your ear drum is gettin g hit with 2ice the waves (bad >:( ) except your brain just does not interpret that as sound. as far as the brain is concernedthe sine wave and the inverse sine cancel eachother out except your ear drum is still getting abused >:(
carpe` vaginum!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Noise/Sound reducing headphones
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
noise cancelling headphones..like the ones Bose makes are REALLY bad for your ears.

well noise cancelling headphones just put out inverse sine waves to cancel out the noise.

in effect your ear drum is gettin g hit with 2ice the waves (bad >:( ) except your brain just does not interpret that as sound. as far as the brain is concernedthe sine wave and the inverse sine cancel eachother out except your ear drum is still getting abused >:(
Thanks Toxy!  Maybe the term cancelling includes the phones being powered somehow which is what I do not want.  I will change the title of the thread!  Do you know of any very good noise reducing headphones? 

I tried some w/like 32 decible rating and I can still hear too much.
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Noise/Sound reducing headphones
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
Thanks Toxy!  Maybe the term cancelling includes the phones being powered somehow which is what I do not want.  I will change the title of the thread!  Do you know of any very good noise reducing headphones? 

I tried some w/like 32 decible rating and I can still hear too much.

send me a pm in a few days and remind me...my girls second couzin is in a band and he usually buys the best of the best equiptment...i'll ask him and let ya know
carpe` vaginum!

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure that that's not correct. The whole point of noise canceling is to cancel out the sound wave so that your eardrum does not move. If your eardrum moves, you will hear a sound. So if the noise canceling works perfectly, and you don't hear anything, your eardrum is not hit with double the wave, it is not hit at all. The noise is not canceled in your brain but before it even effects your eardrum. You are correct however, that if the algorithm (the calculation of the necessary phase shift) does not work perfectly, in the worst case, 2 times the wave will hit your ear drum (which however you will then hear just as loud).

Having said that, I would still recommend in-ear buds over noise-canceling headphones. Much better noise reduction and thus, much better sound quality in noisy areas. My old etymotics came with rubber ear buds (in addition to the silicone ones), which really blocked out almost everything except normal speech. For all kinds of headphones, I can also recommend this site:

http://www.headphone.com/

Here you can find the in-ear buds:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that that's not correct. The whole point of noise canceling is to cancel out the sound wave so that your eardrum does not move. If your eardrum moves, you will hear a sound. So if the noise canceling works perfectly, and you don't hear anything, your eardrum is not hit with double the wave, it is not hit at all. The noise is not canceled in your brain but before it even effects your eardrum. You are correct however, that if the algorithm (the caculation of the necessary phase shift) does not work perfectly, in the worst case, 2 times the wave will hit your ear drum.

Having said that, I would still recommend in-ear buds over noise-canceling headphones. Much better noise reduction and thus, much better sound quality in noisy areas. My old etymotics came with rubber ear buds (in addition to the silicone ones), which really blocked out almost everything except normal speech. For all kinds of headphones, I can also recommend this site:

http://www.headphone.com/

Here you can find the in-ear buds:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/

Yeah I was going to say...

Basically in efficient noise cancelling equipment the waves cancel each other out very efficiently.

False islamic science, brought to you by Junaid!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
hahaha!...we like watching people like you ;D...it's the gum poppers and the noisy equipment that we'd like to muffle

damn, no sense in me doing it anymore I guess.

I would like some glasses, where I don't have to see woemn turn on the food network while doing cardio, wtf is that all about.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

hmm fascinating-----good info

thanks bro

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:54 AM »

thanks bro

You are aware it's false?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 04:19:48 AM »
You are aware it's false?
god way to ruin my dream ;D

yeah was just browsing through before and now I just read the other posts----- :-\ ;D

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:35 AM »
god way to ruin my dream ;D

yeah was just browsing through before and now I just read the other posts----- :-\ ;D

Junaid makes a good jihadist, he makes his lies very believable to the dhimmi.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »

thanks bro

welcome!
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »
Junaid makes a good jihadist, he makes his lies very believable to the dhimmi.

once lemme point out the FACT my wittle nordickbitch any info i post and anything brazen i say on here is backed by the fact that everyone here knows where i work/live.

like you i dont propogate bullshit and lies and then hide behind a computer  like a coward
carpe` vaginum!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
once lemme point out the FACT my wittle nordickbitch any info i post and anything brazen i say on here is backed by the fact that everyone here knows where i work/live.

like you i dont propogate bullshit and lies and then hide behind a computer  like a coward

So what you're saying is that you're not man enough to say that you got your science wrong?

Noise cancelling equipment reduce noise (wave vibrations) by dynamical producing "anti-waves".

e.g.

NoiseX = +5
AntiNX = -5

Outcome = 0 (in 100% efficiency).

Are you going to admit you were wrong? Or lie and/or deny the question as you NORMALLY do?
الاسلام هو شيطانية