Author Topic: STEROIDS in Supplements?  (Read 1974 times)

The_Leafy_Bug

STEROIDS in Supplements?
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »
By A.J. Perez, USA TODAY
Pro and amateur athletes and weekend warriors who consume supplements to get in shape or stay there might be getting more than what they paid for — such as small amounts of steroids and illegal stimulants including ephedrine.

A study scheduled to be released Wednesday and obtained by USA TODAY reports that 13 of the 52 supplements (25%) purchased at various U.S. retailers contained small amounts of steroids and six (11.5%) had banned stimulants.
The study was overseen by Informed-Choice, a non-profit coalition of dietary supplements. Testing was conducted by HFL, a lab approved by the World Anti-Doping Agency and located in England.

"We were very surprised by these results," said Dave Hall, CEO of HFL.

A study by the International Olympic Committee conducted from 2000 to 2002 showed 18.8% of the 240 supplements purchased in the USA contained steroids.

Officials from Informed-Choice and HFL declined to reveal which supplements were tested or where they were purchased, but Hall said some of best-selling brands were randomly selected, mostly from mall-based stores.

"We didn't go after products that appeared to be dubious," Hall said. "We wanted to test products that were standard and mainstream, something a high school kid would be attracted to."

John Barnes, the football coach at Los Alamitos (Calif.) High, was alarmed at the results.

"It's not good if a kid can find these things in a health-food store," he said. "As a father and a coach, you think anything they'd find there would be perfectly fine, and then you find out that it's banned. This is something I'm going to start talking to my players about right away."

Of the 10 categories of supplements tested, testosterone boosters were flagged the most often. Six of the nine boosters contained androstenedione, a steroid precursor used by Mark McGwire en route to setting the single-season home run mark in 1998.

Andro was made illegal nearly three years ago.

Kelly Hoffman, executive director of Informed-Choice, said most banned substances are finding their way into products inadvertently — for instance, when manufacturers fail to properly clean equipment. She said raw materials imported from Asia, India and Eastern Europe also can be contaminated.

The Food and Drug Administration is taking on a more active role in policing supplements, including taking reports of adverse effects of the products starting Dec. 22.

If you take supplements, how concerned are you that they contain steroids or illegal stimulants and will you stop taking them? Share your thoughts below.

Share this story:

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: STEROIDS in Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »
more concerned with whats in my steroids to be quite honest.......

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »
if you want steroids in your supps, make sure to get the free sample packs.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
AWESOME ...im going to the store to buy SUPPLEMENTS ...i mean STEROIDS ...  ::) ::)

Chicken and Fish are my ROoids broskies !!!!

L

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
A study by the International Olympic Committee conducted from 2000 to 2002 showed 18.8% of the 240 supplements purchased in the USA contained steroids.

Officials from Informed-Choice and HFL declined to reveal which supplements were tested or where they were purchased, but Hall said some of best-selling brands were randomly selected, mostly from mall-based stores.

what bothers me most about these kinds of news reports is the use of the generic word steroid.  what kind of steroid?  and what's the cutoff threshold ?

"100% of the milk tested contained steroids" (cholesterol, probably trace amounts of other kinds too)

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
Class act The_Leafy_Bug  ::)  ::)

Every serious bodybuilder knew about it but we all agreed to shut our mouths.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
I love how these reports never reveal which ones were tested.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

Every serious bodybuilder knew about it

No, they didnt and they still don't. Moron.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

No, they didnt and they still don't. Moron.

Calm down convict.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
Calm down convict.

What kind of jail do you suppose Debussey has been in? ::)

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »

What kind of jail do you suppose Debussey has been in? ::)

Do you think I am the right person person to tell everyone about your resume?

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
Do you think I am the right person person to tell everyone about your resume?

You imply that you know something, then make an excuse when the validity of your implication = questioned.

Spill the beans clown ;D

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »

You imply that you know something, then make an excuse when the validity of your implication = questioned.

Spill the beans clown ;D

Just keep it cool around here Debussey. There is no need to freak out again.  :)

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »
Just keep it cool around here Debussey. There is no need to freak out again.  :)

:D

Debussey has never been in jail, but Debussey has been trapped for years in the alien spaceship and raped for hours each day with the unlubricated anal probe.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »

:D

Debussey has never been in jail, but Debussey has been trapped for years in the alien spaceship and raped for hours each day with the unlubricated anal probe.

ok Debussey.  :)

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »

bigguns23

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »
By A.J. Perez, USA TODAY
Pro and amateur athletes and weekend warriors who consume supplements to get in shape or stay there might be getting more than what they paid for — such as small amounts of steroids and illegal stimulants including ephedrine.

A study scheduled to be released Wednesday and obtained by USA TODAY reports that 13 of the 52 supplements (25%) purchased at various U.S. retailers contained small amounts of steroids and six (11.5%) had banned stimulants.
The study was overseen by Informed-Choice, a non-profit coalition of dietary supplements. Testing was conducted by HFL, a lab approved by the World Anti-Doping Agency and located in England.

"We were very surprised by these results," said Dave Hall, CEO of HFL.

"We didn't go after products that appeared to be dubious," Hall said. "We wanted to test products that were standard and mainstream, something a high school kid would be attracted to."

John Barnes, the football coach at Los Alamitos (Calif.) High, was alarmed at the results.

"It's not good if a kid can find these things in a health-food store," he said. "As a father and a coach, you think anything they'd find there would be perfectly fine, and then you find out that it's banned. This is something I'm going to start talking to my players about right away."

Of the 10 categories of supplements tested, testosterone boosters were flagged the most often. Six of the nine boosters contained androstenedione, a steroid precursor used by Mark McGwire en route to setting the single-season home run mark in 1998.

Andro was made illegal nearly three years ago.

Kelly Hoffman, executive director of Informed-Choice, said most banned substances are finding their way into products inadvertently — for instance, when manufacturers fail to properly clean equipment. She said raw materials imported from Asia, India and Eastern Europe also can be contaminated.

The Food and Drug Administration is taking on a more active role in policing supplements, including taking reports of adverse effects of the products starting Dec. 22.

If you take supplements, how concerned are you that they contain steroids or illegal stimulants and will you stop taking them? Share your thoughts below.

Share this story:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HH

Once again, our taxdollars hard at work people.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »
Debussey is good people. My mom told me this and my dad.
$

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »
what bothers me most about these kinds of news reports is the use of the generic word steroid.  what kind of steroid?  and what's the cutoff threshold ?

"100% of the milk tested contained steroids" (cholesterol, probably trace amounts of other kinds too)

exactly. much ado about nothing.
a

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »

Well it must not be true because im not getting any crazy results from my whey  ;D

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »

Ill be drinking more milk ;D

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
please.
if there are roids in it, its prob equivalent to 1mg of winny, which would basically do SHIT.
you are gay.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
Yeah i just mix my chinese testosterone powders in my whey. Works like a charm!

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 01:40:02 AM »
Yeah i just mix my chinese testosterone powders in my whey. Works like a charm!

There goes my new suppliment line. I guess the FDA will get overtime busting all the GNC store owners for manufacture/distribution and the cashiers for distribution and all the customers with possetion.
O, then all the window shoppers for conspiracy to posses.
Hate those Fukin people!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:08 AM »

well you see there are lambs and than there are wolfs, and I personally think that anybody
who's never opens his mouth but only to agree with the overall majority
is a lamb.