Author Topic: How to properly measure a woman to track her progress?  (Read 4903 times)

Silverback Gorilla

• Getbig II
How to properly measure a woman to track her progress?
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
My wife has recently started working out with me and we've been measuring ourselves to track our progress.  Well I was looking at how I've been measuring her and she said that I've been calling her stomach her waist and vice versa.  I'm kinda confused so I was wondering if any women here could help me out as to how to properly measure a womans body.  Thanks in advance.
I'm goin' in...

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: How to properly measure a woman to track her progress?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
There are so many different ways to track progress and guage results.  The most important thing is that you are consistent about it.  If you are going to take measurements, make sure you take them in the same place and around the same time every day.  Same with weighing on the scale.

In terms of measuring a woman's waist, it's usually the narrowest part between her hips and her ribcage.  Some people have higher waists than others, but generally it's around the belly button or close above/below.  The picture below shows a woman with a tape around her actual waist.

For measuring weight loss/progress, I suppose you could go one of two ways, as long as you are consistent: (1) the waist at the narrowest part or (2) the belly/stomach at the widest part.  She may not necessarily be holding most of her fat right at her waist, so you may want to take measurements of the wider part of her midsection to see how much that comes down.  Whatever you decide, just be consistent.

I would set up a progress chart or table for maybe 8-12 weeks and weigh/measure once a week at the same time/place. 
--- Weigh on the same scale, standardized.
--- Take measurements for - (1) waist/stomach, or both (2) butt all the way around at the widest part, (3) arms at the biggest part in between elbow and shoulder, and (4) thighs all the way around at the widest part.
That should be enough to track progress.  I don't think it's necessary to measure more than once per week, and even that may be excessive.  Every other week may be OK.

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:37:26 AM »
Some more info:

In order to get a better measurement of how much fat you are loosing, stop stepping on the scale, and start picking up the measuring tape. This is a much more accurate way to measure they amount of fat you are loosing, since it shows you the inches you are loosing on your body, rather than relying on a measurement of pounds which can fluctuate due to various circumstances

To accurately measure fat loss, you will need a seamstress measuring tape. A seamstress measuring tape is flexible, so you can wrap it around various parts of your body. You can find these measuring tapes in stores that sell sewing and craft materials.

In order to get an accurate measurement, you should measure yourself without clothing on. For the most part, you can measure yourself on your own without assistance, though this can be a bit difficult for certain parts of your body such as your arms.

Using the seamstress measuring tape, measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and arms. Your arms and your thighs should be measured separately, so that you have a measurement for each arm and each leg. If you choose to, you can also measure your calves.

When you wrap the tape measure around the part of your body that you are measuring, wrap it snugly, but do not pull too tightly. You do not want the tape measure to pull into your skin. Using a notebook or piece of paper, write down the date that you are measuring and what your measurements on. In order to see your results the best way, only measure one a week, or even better, once a month.

By measuring the actual inches that you are loosing, you will get a much more accurate reading of how much fat you are loosing. Muscle is tone and tight. Fat is loose and flabby. As you loose the fat, your skin will shrink and tighten. When you use a seamstress tape measure to gauge your fat loose, you will get much better results and actually be able to see how much fat you are loosing.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »
How to measure your waist (the right way!)

Step 1. PREPARE

Use a soft tape measure to assess your waist size. Pull up or remove your shirt and lower the waistline of your skirt, shorts or pants, if needed, so that your middle is exposed. Stand in front of a mirror, if possible, to make sure you’re positioning the tape measure correctly.

Step 2. FIND THE RIGHT SPOT

Press your fingers into your torso near the right side of your waist. Push your fingers into your skin to find the bony pelvis. Keep pushing and moving your fingers along the edge of the hip bone until you find the top curve of the bone. This spot is known as the iliac crest. The highest point will be located on the side of your torso, just underneath the lower portion of your ribcage. Generally, this spot will be at around the same level as your bellybutton, and near, or at, the narrowest part of your torso.

Step 3. WRAP THE TAPE MEASURE

Position the tape measure horizontally at this spot at the top of your hip bone. Then circle it around your abdomen and entire torso. Make sure that the tape lies horizontal on all sides of your torso. Place the end of the tape measure which reads “0” at the spot on the tape where the loop circles your waist completely.

Step 4. MEASURE

Avoid sucking in your gut. Stand up straight and exhale gently as you pull the tape so that it stays taut against your body, but make sure it is not squeezing into your skin. Look at the number at the point where the “0” end of the tape intersects around your waist. This is your waist measurement.

Silverback Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »
Thanks Ripitupbaby, that really cleared up a lot for me.  I was in fact wrong, I was calling her waist her stomach.  Thanks again for the info.
I'm goin' in...

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:54 AM »
Thanks Ripitupbaby, that really cleared up a lot for me.  I was in fact wrong, I was calling her waist her stomach.  Thanks again for the info.

No problem.  Love your name lol.    :D