Author Topic: The Barack Obama Tour 2008  (Read 2257 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
The Barack Obama Tour 2008
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »
Who Does He Think He Is?
Charles Krauthammer
Friday, July 18, 2008
townhall.com

WASHINGTON -- Barack Obama wants to speak at the Brandenburg Gate. He figures it would be a nice backdrop. The supporting cast -- a cheering audience and a few fainting frauleins -- would be a picturesque way to bolster his foreign policy credentials.

What Obama does not seem to understand is that the Brandenburg Gate is something you earn. President Reagan earned the right to speak there because his relentless pressure had brought the Soviet empire to its knees and he was demanding its final "tear down this wall" liquidation. When President Kennedy visited the Brandenburg Gate on the day of his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, he was representing a country that was prepared to go to the brink of nuclear war to defend West Berlin.

Who is Obama representing? And what exactly has he done in his lifetime to merit appropriating the Brandenburg Gate as a campaign prop? What was his role in the fight against communism, the liberation of Eastern Europe, the creation of what George Bush 41 -- who presided over the fall of the Berlin Wall but modestly declined to go there for a victory lap -- called "a Europe whole and free"?

Does Obama not see the incongruity? It's as if a German pol took a campaign trip to America and demanded the Statue of Liberty as a venue for a campaign speech. (The Germans have now gently nudged Obama into looking at other venues.)

Americans are beginning to notice Obama's elevated opinion of himself. There's nothing new about narcissism in politics. Every senator looks in the mirror and sees a president. Nonetheless, has there ever been a presidential nominee with a wider gap between his estimation of himself and the sum total of his lifetime achievements?

Obama is a three-year senator without a single important legislative achievement to his name, a former Illinois state senator who voted "present" nearly 130 times. As president of the Harvard Law Review, as law professor and as legislator, has he ever produced a single notable piece of scholarship? Written a single memorable article? His most memorable work is a biography of his favorite subject: himself.

It is a subject upon which he can dilate effortlessly. In his victory speech upon winning the nomination, Obama declared it a great turning point in history -- "generations from now we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment" -- when, among other wonders, "the rise of the oceans began to slow." As economist Irwin Stelzer noted in his London Daily Telegraph column, "Moses made the waters recede, but he had help." Obama apparently works alone.

Obama may think he's King Canute, but the good king ordered the tides to halt precisely to refute sycophantic aides who suggested that he had such power. Obama has no such modesty.

After all, in the words of his own slogan, "we are the ones we've been waiting for," which, translating the royal "we," means: "I am the one we've been waiting for." Amazingly, he had a quasi-presidential seal with its own Latin inscription affixed to his podium, until general ridicule -- it was pointed out that he was not yet president -- induced him to take it down

He lectures us that instead of worrying about immigrants learning English, "you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish" -- a language Obama does not speak. He further admonishes us on how "embarrassing" it is that Europeans are multilingual but "we go over to Europe, and all we can say is, 'merci beaucoup.'" Obama speaks no French.

His fluent English does, however, feature many such admonitions, instructions and improvements. His wife assures us that President Obama will be a stern taskmaster: "Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism ... that you come out of your isolation. ... Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed."

For the first few months of the campaign, the question about Obama was: Who is he? The question now is: Who does he think he is?

We are getting to know. Redeemer of our uninvolved, uninformed lives. Lord of the seas. And more. As he said on victory night, his rise marks the moment when "our planet began to heal." As I recall -- I'm no expert on this -- Jesus practiced his healing just on the sick. Obama operates on a larger canvas.

Copyright © 2008 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Barack Obama Tour 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
LOL! ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:47 AM »
LMAO @ the comic.

Are they letting him speak at that wall?

He's being ambition and they're playing along because why?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:29 AM »
The German gov does not want him to speak but  the Mayor of Berlin is a leftist nut and does not like the PM, so he might get to speak there. He has done zero to deserve any of this.
L

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
Big fucking joke.

Today is the first day I hate Barack.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:25 AM »
Would they have let McCain speak there, if he had asked?  Yes or no?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:26 AM »

Fuck no, you clowns need to get real. These two tools can't associate with it, so pulling political inertia from a situation which they inputted nothing is a damn travesty!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »

he would never, ever speak there. Thats the point.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »
The German gov does not want him to speak but  the Mayor of Berlin is a leftist nut and does not like the PM, so he might get to speak there. He has done zero to deserve any of this.

That comment alone demonstrates how out-of-touch you are with both the American people, and world citizens.

How deserving he is may become evident to blockheads in the years to come,
...but to the enlightened and progressive thinkers and visionaries among us, this is clearly evident.

ps: if i had to explain it to you, ...you wouldn't understand, ...but maybe you will in a few years hindsight being 20/20
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 06:17:02 AM »
people are SO tired of condescending Bush, and the "we're in this war no matter what 99% of people say".

I keep saying it.  A purple dinosaur could win in 2008.  The voters are just so tired of fearmongering and being bullied.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:40:01 AM »
people are SO tired of condescending Bush, and the "we're in this war no matter what 99% of people say".

I keep saying it.  A purple dinosaur could win in 2008.  The voters are just so tired of fearmongering and being bullied.

I like the sound of President Obama more than President Barney.
President Barney just doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily.

President Obama 
...yeah sounds good.  :D
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 07:39:56 AM »
I haven't seen that in text before.  Seems very Foreign.  President McCain sounds more dignified.  Of course, Great Depression II sounds kinda sheeity.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 04:39:54 PM »
That comment alone demonstrates how out-of-touch you are with both the American people, and world citizens.

How deserving he is may become evident to blockheads in the years to come,
...but to the enlightened and progressive thinkers and visionaries among us, this is clearly evident.

ps: if i had to explain it to you, ...you wouldn't understand, ...but maybe you will in a few years hindsight being 20/20

Dear Canadian...again stop lecturing Americans on our own politcis...concentrate on ur own second rate nation....I don't care about "world opinion"....this guy is an empty suit with alot of bullshit rethoric.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »
Dear Canadian...again stop lecturing Americans on our own politcis...concentrate on ur own second rate nation

Dear HH6,

How else would many American's learn the truth about their own nations foreign policies.
It's not like propaganda mills like Fox News is going to tell them, They prefer to distort truth and broadcast lies.
...it's not like brainwashed neotaints are going to give them the truth, they're psychotically delusional.
...and paid goons tasked with being enforcers and bulletin board propagandizers for neotaints & corporate thieves
have such conflicts of interest they wouldn't know truth if it landed in their jockstraps & bit them on their weeners

....I don't care about "world opinion"....this guy is an empty suit with alot of bullshit rethoric.

It is spelled 'rhetoric', and the only BS rhetoric I hear is coming from you. Perhaps it is this attitude of not caring about people in the world that has brought your country to the brink of what it now faces. Perhaps if those in a position of leadership, those steering your nations policies actually cared about it's own citizens, Americans would not find themselves in such perilous times or in greater danger both at home and abroad.

ps: Maybe if you asked Ron nicely, he would turn on the spell check function for you.  :)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »
Dear Canadian...again stop lecturing Americans on our own politcis...concentrate on ur own second rate nation....I don't care about "world opinion"....this guy is an empty suit with alot of bullshit rethoric.

Second!   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
I don't value jag's opinion any more, or less, because she doesn't live here.

CQ doesn't live in the USA.  Do you devalue her opinion?

There are foreigners with better views and understanding of issues than we have.  Heck, maybe better.  They have access to info that gets censored by our media.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 01:42:35 AM »
I haven't seen that in text before.  Seems very Foreign.  President McCain sounds more dignified.  Of course, Great Depression II sounds kinda sheeity.

EXACTLY!
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 07:48:21 AM »
Dear HH6,

How else would many American's learn the truth about their own nations foreign policies.
It's not like propaganda mills like Fox News is going to tell them, They prefer to distort truth and broadcast lies.
...it's not like brainwashed neotaints are going to give them the truth, they're psychotically delusional.
...and paid goons tasked with being enforcers and bulletin board propagandizers for neotaints & corporate thieves
have such conflicts of interest they wouldn't know truth if it landed in their jockstraps & bit them on their weeners

It is spelled 'rhetoric', and the only BS rhetoric I hear is coming from you. Perhaps it is this attitude of not caring about people in the world that has brought your country to the brink of what it now faces. Perhaps if those in a position of leadership, those steering your nations policies actually cared about it's own citizens, Americans would not find themselves in such perilous times or in greater danger both at home and abroad.

ps: Maybe if you asked Ron nicely, he would turn on the spell check function for you.  :)

Sorry Canadian second rater, don't ever presume to lecture me. I'm sorry u feel second rate but u just don't count. Libs and their bullshit, especially foreign terrorist appeasing, anti american libs don't have any right to comment on my country. We have enough home grown libs who do the job well enough. Ur right Jag, I only care about American's, because oddly enough, I'm American. Look at ur post...all Left wing bullshit.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
Sorry Canadian second rater, don't ever presume to lecture me. I'm sorry u feel second rate but u just don't count. Libs and their bullshit, especially foreign terrorist appeasing, anti american libs don't have any right to comment on my country. We have enough home grown libs who do the job well enough. Ur right Jag, I only care about American's, because oddly enough, I'm American. Look at ur post...all Left wing bullshit.

You're a good example of what's gone wrong in America, ...but not to worry,
Americans these days are getting smarter and smarter everyday, and they're not falling for your BS anymore.  :)

You can try to attack the messenger all you want, ...but it still won't change the message.
w

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »
HH6, Canada is not a second rate nation. Feel free to have Obama try to renegotiate NAFTA and find out. 

At one time almost all of American troops and Coalition troops in Iraq were reporting to a Canadian.A former lt-general of yours in now the head of our armed forces. In no small part due to his work in Iraq, but don't worry we weren't involved.  ;)

That is how the far left is appeased in Canada, don't report the facts and then send our soldiers to Kandahar.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=0b64db92-b6e4-4080-b516-f9c27d495548

"Not only is he a close friend of mine but one of the finest officers I have ever met," said Lt.-Gen. Thomas Metz, who was Natynczyk's boss in Iraq when the Canadian was the deputy commander of the U.S. amy's III Corps and the U.S.-led Multi-National Corps.

While he was in Iraq, Natynczyk helped draw up medium- and long-term war plans for about 145,000 troops. This followed a tour in Bosnia, where he also worked with tens of thousands of U.S. troops.
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 03:37:11 PM »
HH6, Canada is not a second rate nation. Feel free to have Obama try to renegotiate NAFTA and find out. 

At one time almost all of American troops and Coalition troops in Iraq were reporting to a Canadian.A former lt-general of yours in now the head of our armed forces. In no small part due to his work in Iraq, but don't worry we weren't involved.  ;)

That is how the far left is appeased in Canada, don't report the facts and then send our soldiers to Kandahar.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=0b64db92-b6e4-4080-b516-f9c27d495548

"Not only is he a close friend of mine but one of the finest officers I have ever met," said Lt.-Gen. Thomas Metz, who was Natynczyk's boss in Iraq when the Canadian was the deputy commander of the U.S. amy's III Corps and the U.S.-led Multi-National Corps.

While he was in Iraq, Natynczyk helped draw up medium- and long-term war plans for about 145,000 troops. This followed a tour in Bosnia, where he also worked with tens of thousands of U.S. troops.

a_joker,

Why do you deprive him of the full article. you know he's too lazy to click the link.
...especially since if he did, he might find out that Canadians have been skooling Americans for years.  :D

Natynczyk promotion to CDS popular with U.S. commanders
Matthew Fisher, Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, June 06, 2008

The appointment of Lt.-Gen. Walt Natynczyk to head the Canadian Armed Forces was hailed in Washington on Friday by senior U.S. army officers who worked with him four years ago in Iraq.

"His professionalism and dedication to his country's Armed Forces is unmatched. Fearless in battle, he is a superb choice for this new duty."

Another senior commander, Maj.-Gen. Rick Formica, director of force management for the U.S. army, said: "This is great news for Walt and his family and great news for Canada. That he was selected does not surprise us at all."

Formica and Natynczyk served together when Canada's new chief of defence followed Gen. Rick Hillier to Fort Hood, Texas, as an exchange officer with III Corps. When the corps deployed to Iraq early in 2004, Formica was its senior artillery officer.

"Walt is a courageous operational guy," Formica said. "He is very, very strategically and operationally savvy. Talk to any of the colonels who supported the corps. They loved him. He built a solid team."

Formica's first close working experience with Natynczyk came during an exercise in Korea.

"He was willing to school this young general officer," Formica said. "I was struck by his expertise. I saw this in Korea, I saw it at home in Texas and I saw it in Iraq."

Col. Dan Baggio also served with Natynczyk in Baghdad and until a few weeks ago, was responsible for army media relations at the Pentagon. Baggio, who now works in a joint forces headquarters that has among its responsibilities, defending Washington from attack, described Natynczyk as "the best mentor" he had had during 29 years in the U.S. army.

"I say this from my heart, I honestly have never heard a harsh word about Walt Natynczyk," the colonel said. "He is not a butt chewer, but a true team player. He had a way of interjecting thoughts so well you thought that they were your own ideas. He was open- minded to guidance from his staff and when he disagreed, he disagreed politely. For me, he is the consummate general officer."

Four years ago this spring in Baghdad, Natynczyk was working in a room cluttered with computers and maps in one of Saddam Hussein's many palaces within the Green Zone, which is the huge cordon sanitaire that the U.S. military has carved out for itself near the heart of Baghdad. Other than a red Maple Leaf flag patch on his left shoulder and his Canadian army summer khaki, there were not many traces of Canada to be seen in his office. But Natynczyk was closely following the results of the Ottawa Senators, who were in the playoffs at the time.

"It is almost like a conveyor belt," the general said. "We come up with a concept. Others go back to specialist staffs" such as logistics and engineering, to see if it is practical.

"This conflict (in Iraq) is very much a section commander or company commander's fight. They do the here and now. The daily routine. But if, for example, we notice a smuggling trend, the commanding general can say to us, 'Do something about it.'"

Natynczyk's close connection to several senior U.S. commanders should serve him well in his new job overseeing Canada's war in Afghanistan.

Metz now oversees the huge U.S. military effort to counter improvised explosive devices planted by insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan. The research will be keenly followed by Natynczyk because IEDs have become the top killer of Canadian troops in Kandahar.

In his new job, Natynczyk also will be consulting with Gen. David Petraeus, who runs the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan as the commander of CENTCOM. Natynczyk and Petraeus, who is widely tipped as the next leader of all U.S. forces, also served together in Iraq.

There are only about 60,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen in the entire Canadian Armed Forces. Of them, only 10,000 are combat troops. About 2,500 Canadian troops are currently deployed in Afghanistan.

Speaking four years ago about the huge difference in staffing numbers between the U.S. and Canadian militaries, Natynczyk said: "Our force size may be small but training that officers and NCOs get is first class. When we train, we get staff problems of this magnitude. In Bosnia, I was working with 44,000 soldiers."

Nevertheless, the immense size and scale of the U.S. operation here and the logistics trail required in Iraq to keep "soldier on point in bullets and beans" was hugely impressive, he said.

Natynczyk was sent to Iraq by then-prime minister Jean Chretien. During his year there, he was promoted from brigadier-general to major-general.

Life within the Green Zone in Baghdad, where Natynczyk lived and worked, was and is famously surreal. Thousands of U.S. civilians based there dressed and behaved as if they have had never left Washington's Beltway. However, the war outside was sometimes very close to Natynczyk, such as when a suicide bomber blew up a truck loaded with explosives at the Assassin's Gate, which was near where he worked. Insurgents regularly lobbed mortars into the Green Zone.

One of the highlights of working in Bosnia was that Natynczyk was able to go out on patrols frequently to get a sense of what was going on.

"I don't get out enough here. It's a real problem," Natynczyk said of his staff job in Iraq. "I've not been in a firefight. I have been close to indirect fire and close to IEDs."

In fact, a rocket once crashed through the roof of the building in Baghdad where Natynczyk was working.

Joking, he said: "Please don't tell my wife how close it was."

© Canwest News Service 2008
w

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
I don't value jag's opinion because she doesn't live here.

CQ doesn't live in the USA. 
They are foreigners
They have limited land access to the freedom we cherish, and the money we spend

Yeah I agree, lol.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
I don't value jag's opinion because she doesn't live here.

CQ doesn't live in the USA. 
They are foreigners
They have limited land access to the freedom we cherish, and the money we spend
Yeah I agree, lol.

Our limited access to the money you spend is limited only by our own choosing.
Like most of the world, dropping your increasingly worthless currency is a choice we can make.
Too bad you Americans don't have the same freedom the rest of the world does... you're stuck with it.  :'(
w