Author Topic: THE DARK KNIGHT  (Read 19041 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
just got back from the movie

it was good but i don't think it was quite as good as others seem to think

ledger does not deserve an oscar

E
E

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
It's not the bruce wayne puts on the batman costume it's that Batman puts on the "bruce wayne costume".
Stems from the comics.... batman was always, since 30's the best ever superhero, everyone else had super powers, spidey, supes, hulk.... not bats.
The greatest cast of villians ever assembled in story.....  with each villian having some of the sam attributes of bats himself..... greatest comics ev..... knightfall the best series ev.... novel ev.... batman rocks  ;D nutshell ;)

Moosejay

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »
It's not the bruce wayne puts on the batman costume it's that Batman puts on the "bruce wayne costume".
Stems from the comics.... batman was always, since 30's the best ever superhero, everyone else had super powers, spidey, supes, hulk.... not bats.
The greatest cast of villians ever assembled in story.....  with each villian having some of the sam attributes of bats himself..... greatest comics ev..... knightfall the best series ev.... novel ev.... batman rocks  ;D nutshell ;)

Marvel>DC

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 06:47:12 AM »
just got back from the movie

it was good but i don't think it was quite as good as others seem to think

ledger does not deserve an oscar

E

Not a comic book movie fan? Sometimes the adaptation of the comic book doesn't not translate to the big screen. I think this movie goes beyond that. It seemed like more of a real story that goes beyond the comic book.

Your opinion is the first I've read that didn't think the movie was excellent. Ledger will be nominated for the Oscar but I don't think he will win.

His performance was superb, though. No denying that.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
Not a comic book movie fan? Sometimes the adaptation of the comic book doesn't not translate to the big screen. I think this movie goes beyond that. It seemed like more of a real story that goes beyond the comic book.

Your opinion is the first I've read that didn't think the movie was excellent. Ledger will be nominated for the Oscar but I don't think he will win.

His performance was superb, though. No denying that.

i liked the first spider man and all the batman movies, except batman and robin

i didn't like iron man, incredible hulk, or x men so I wouldn't say i'm a big fan

the dark knight was a good movie, probably the best batman but it didn't meet the hype imo

ledger was good but i don't think he was any better then two face, who is a much scarier and more interesting villain if you ask me

they say playing the joker is one of the main reasons he was on so much medication, maybe people think his performance is oscar worthy because they don't want to think he died for nothing

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »
i liked the first spider man and all the batman movies, except batman and robin

i didn't like iron man, incredible hulk, or x men so I wouldn't say i'm a big fan

the dark knight was a good movie, probably the best batman but it didn't meet the hype imo

ledger was good but i don't think he was any better then two face, who is a much scarier and more interesting villain if you ask me

they say playing the joker is one of the main reasons he was on so much medication, maybe people think his performance is oscar worthy because they don't want to think he died for nothing

E

no matter what ends up happening, he definitely died for nothing, regardless.

Such a talented actor too. He did get extremely deep into his Joker character. He was definitely a method actor to an extreme from what I've read. He was having sleepless nights and hooked on medication like you said because of this role. I find it to be a cop-out to abuse drugs, if you ask me. I heard he was quite the partyer in his day. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Too bad, he will be missed.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
Saw it last nite, midnight showing, Simply put........ OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker blows Jack Nicolson's out the water. Great story theme, Best Batman movie thus far!!!!!

I had really high hopes for this movie due to all the positive reviews and such, so maybe that was the problem. I was disappointed. It was at least an hour too long, the action scenes were boring, there were no new cool gadgets, etc, .and generally nothing special.

What was up with the ridiculous voice Bale put on when being Batman? I don’t recall him doing that in Batman Begins, which I actually enjoyed far more. That voice he put on didn’t work at all.

Two, the leading lady was not very attractive. In fact, kinda fugly. The richest and best looking guy in town, and the Mr hunk blond DA can’t do better then that???!! Here she is for those who didn’t see the movie:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2447565/Gyllenhaals-struggle.html

Ledger pretty much made the movie. In fact, for me, the only thing that kept this movie from being a total dog, was the collection of great actors that made the human element work at least, such as Ledger and Gary Oldman and othes. Other then that, I was very disappointed. The movie's attempts at exploring the nature of human behavior and morality and such was all well and fine, but I don't go to Batman movies to explore human morality...

I was with 4 people, and we all had the same response to the movie, so I knew it was not just me being ultra hard on the movie (which I am in general) and we all had the same “this is what got such great reviews?” comments on the way out. My review is, wait ‘till it hits video…

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
yes i also wondered how she was cast as the "beautiful" chick two of the most powerful men in Gotham city desired

she makes katie holmes look like Baywatch material

E
E

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
yes i also wondered how she was cast as the "beautiful" chick two of the most powerful men in Gotham city desired

she makes katie holmes look like Baywatch material

E

Word. ;)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
From Perez Hilton

It keeps getting better and better for Warner Bros, though the same can't be said for Christian Bale.

The Dark Knight took in $24.M on Monday.

And, now we have yesterday's earnings!

The film made an addition $20.8M on Tuesday. Most movie's debut to that number (or less) on a Friday!

The Dark Knight's domestic earnings currently stand at $203.7 million, in less than one week of release.

It's the first flick to cross the $200 million mark in 5 days.
E

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
Saw it a few days ago. 

Solid movie, very well directed and beautiful plot and story.

The lack of CGI was great too.

The character of the Joker was written well and delivered by Heath extremely good.

I think he'll get a nomination.

But i agree with Earl, probably not good enough for an oscar.  but you never know.  Maybe the rest of the year nothing else is up to that level.

Maggie G.  was the only weak spot IMO.  She doesn't do well if the role isn't good for her and she's didn't give an air of defiance that Katie Holmes gave to the character. 

But again, not much i can say.  9/10 or better but not a 10.

It's my favorite classic comic book movie however.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
I just saw it, only released yesterday in this part of the world.
I liked it BUT yes it was a bit long and the lead lady was pretty normal as far as standards go.
Still good entertainment though I give it a 8

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
THE MOVIE IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Heath Ledger was a fucking psycho to be able to play the joker that well.
it was fucking crazy  :o :o :o

He certainly tapped into a dark side to himself. No wonder he was so disturbed after his performance.  :'(
That's a side of acting most people aren't aware of, ...you don't always get to leave the job on the set.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
I told you Moose.

They hit a homerun by not making a kiddie flick with all CGI and cheesy storylines. Instead they had good acting coupled with very real stunts and a realistic storyline.

One thing they did to make the film more realistic was by having the Joker be more of an urban terrorist than a criminal. Ledger's Joker = one of the best villains ever.

Probably, but they ought to give it to him despite what idiots say or might say. You have Oscars going out to actors that act in movies that the general public does not care about. This time around you have an excellent performance in a mainstream film. Giving it to Ledger would restore some credibility to the Oscars

I saw a screener of it a while back. Absolutely fabulous film. They did an excellent job and Heath's performance was simply amazing. He definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for it. Whether he'll win, we can't say. There may be others eligible and perhaps more deserving of the accolade, despite Heath's ...matrydom, for want of a better word.

If he is nominated though, ...I hope it doesn't get political. It's no secret the Dark Knight is merely a propaganda tool to help redeem the Bush admin, neverless Heath Ledger did an amazing job and should be voted for or not, ...based solely on his execution of the character rather than the propaganda behind the film.

Christian Bale may have been the title character, but Heath definitely stole the show.

I wonder if they will make a prequel, that tells the audience how the Joker actually came to be?
w

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
I saw a screener of it a while back. Absolutely fabulous film. They did an excellent job and Heath's performance was simply amazing. He definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for it. Whether he'll win, we can't say. There may be others eligible and perhaps more deserving of the accolade, despite Heath's ...matrydom, for want of a better word.
Martyrdom? That is quite possibly the most euphemistic description I’ve heard to date. ;D

If he is nominated though, ...I hope it doesn't get political. It's no secret the Dark Knight is merely a propaganda tool to help redeem the Bush admin, How so? I’m not saying it didn’t; just that I didn’t look for any underlying politically rhetorical themes. My mind switched to auto pilot for 2½ hours while watching cool-ass effects. neverless Heath Ledger did an amazing job and should be voted for or not, ...based solely on his execution of the character rather than the propaganda behind the film.

Christian Bale may have been the title character, but Heath definitely stole the show.

I wonder if they will make a prequel, that tells the audience how the Joker actually came to be?
I hope they don’t continue the character – even in the context of a prequel. If they do, I really think the fans would fart on it. #1 To many folks it would seem a bit disrespectful to cast another actor in the role, and #2 Heath did such a fantastic job, I don’t know if fans would accept someone else playing the part.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »
I saw it a couple days ago and it was really good.  I didn't really like Batman Begins but I was impressed with the Dark Knight.  The Joker really stole the show.  I actually found myself rooting for the Joker, Ledger was that good.  RIP. 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2008, 04:09:22 AM »
Can you believe i still haven't seen this.  ::)

I was going to see it when it first came out (it came out earlier here in Aus than the US) and we got there an hour before it started and was sold out, and still haven't gotten round to seeing it  ;D
No doubt about it...

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25:05 AM »
Right at the end of the movie when commissioner Gordon is talking to his son:

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight"

Dam that shit made my cock hard! Best part of the whole movie for me.
P

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2008, 05:18:28 AM »
Someone posted that the movie hints at Catwoman maybe appearing in the next installment. If it does, then I missed it.
You see anything like that?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Someone posted that the movie hints at Catwoman maybe appearing in the next installment. If it does, then I missed it.
You see anything like that?

Yes, when the Morgan Freeman character built Batman a suit to resist dog bites he said something about it protecting him from cats as well. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2008, 01:34:56 AM »

Martyrdom? That is quite possibly the most euphemistic description I’ve heard to date.

What else can you call it. He went to a very dark place and couldn't bring himself back.

How so? I’m not saying it didn’t; just that I didn’t look for any underlying politically rhetorical themes. My mind switched to auto pilot for 2½ hours while watching cool-ass effects.

That's the whole idea, ...don't think, ...just go on auto-pilot and let it all sink in.

Are you saying you missed the parallels between the warrantless wiretaps and the sonar triangulation of cell phones? It was so blatantly obvious? Then the whitewashing & coverup of Dent's role? oh puleaze! It was sooooo in your face. the secrecy... the deception... the lies... HELLO!  ;D

I hope they don’t continue the character – even in the context of a prequel. If they do, I really think the fans would fart on it. #1 To many folks it would seem a bit disrespectful to cast another actor in the role, and #2 Heath did such a fantastic job, I don’t know if fans would accept someone else playing the part.

That didn't stop George Lucas from making Christiansen the new Skywalker.

They said the same thing about Nicholson's joker as well. Now fans are embracing Heath,
...as they will one day embrace another. Don't forget, ...fans can be notoriously fickle.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight"

That is truly, truly, TRULY DISTURBING!!!!
w

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »

Great ending. So may "celebrated" directors don't know shit about pulling off a prestige ending like that.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

No, because even in the comic it's unknown... So they really should not.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:31 AM »
And now the stupid criminal of the year award goes to a Three Rivers Michigan man....   :D

Man Dressed As The Joker Arrested For Allegedly Trying To Steal Batman Movie Art
Tuesday July 29, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Photo Courtesy of Three Rivers Police Department

Police in the town of Three Rivers, Michigan think they've caught a joker in the act of committing a crime on a dark night.

It happened Monday when cops in the city near the Indiana border were called to a local movie theatre. Officials there told them someone was trying to steal posters and other items related to the new Batman movie - and that the culprit was clad in make-up to make him appear like the Joker, the character played in the film by the late Heath Ledger.

Incredulous cops arrived to find a man with white make-up on his face, a green wig on his head and wearing a purple suit, being restrained by employees who were holding him for police.

A 20-year-old named Spencer Taylor (top left, shown in and out of his alleged disguise in a police photo) is being held for larceny and malicious destruction of property. He'll be in court next week. 

"The Dark Knight," the latest and some say the best of the Batman films, is well on its way to becoming the most successful motion picture of all time at the box office. It has already attracted a rabid fan base and collectors may be expecting to reap a small fortune from anything related to it - provided they come by it all honestly.

w