Author Topic: Florida Woman to Get Brain Surgery Thanks to 'FOX and Friends'  (Read 1302 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Too bad they had to be shamed into covering the surgery.  I wonder if Obama's socialized healthcare system would change things like this?

Florida Woman to Get Brain Surgery Thanks to 'FOX and Friends'
Friday, July 18, 2008

Caitlin White
Insurance provider Aetna will cover a Florida woman's brain surgery after the intervention of a "FOX & Friends" contributor.

Caitlin White, 19, of Bartow, Fla., suffers from a debilitating brain disorder that could kill her. She was scheduled for surgery when her insurance carrier, Aetna, canceled the family's coverage just minutes before she was scheduled to go under the knife.

But after hearing her story, FOX News legal analyst Peter Johnson Jr. contacted Florida Gov. Charlie Crist's office, which was able in turn to reach Aetna through the state's Office of Citizen's Services.

Crist's staff convinced the carrier to cover the surgery and give White 90 days of hospital service thereafter.

"We didn't know what to do," her mother, Sheila Jackson, told "FOX & Friends" on Friday. "Our hands were tied."

White suffers from Chiari malformation, a brain condition that causes excruciating headaches and fainting spells and can, without treatment, eventually lead to the destruction of motor skills and memory.

White will now have the $113,000 surgery on Monday.

Insurance Battle Victory "Oh, it's wonderful," White told FOX.

Her mother was also elated.

"It’s incredible," Jackson said. "We’ve been on such a rollercoaster and to get such incredible, wonderful news and then to find out how it came about, it’s just better."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,386121,00.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Florida Woman to Get Brain Surgery Thanks to 'FOX and Friends'
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
Well, i would think, if she had "socialized health care" she would have not had her insurance canceled at the last minute by a greedy privatized company.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »
Well, i would think, if she had "socialized health care" she would have not had her insurance canceled at the last minute by a greedy privatized company.

Maybe, maybe not.  That assumes that the government excludes insurance companies from the healthcare business and that the government doesn't make the same callous decisions made by insurance companies. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.  That assumes that the government excludes insurance companies from the healthcare business and that the government doesn't make the same callous decisions made by insurance companies. 

If this was England or Canada, socialized health care that's far from perfect, it would have not happen.  She would have had the surgery. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
If this was England or Canada, socialized health care that's far from perfect, it would have not happen.  She would have had the surgery. 

You're certain of this?  She wouldn't be on a waiting list?  Wouldn't have had to travel a 1000 miles?  No strings? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
You're certain of this?  She wouldn't be on a waiting list?  Wouldn't have had to travel a 1000 miles?  No strings? 

Who knows?   Maybe yes, maybe no.  Likely not, if the condition was that serious. But the point is she would had had to get it done and it would have got done.  And going a thousand miles or waiting a month if far better than not getting it done at all.  What woul dhave happened if it wasn't for FOX news?  Is that help available for everyone anytime? 

To top all that off, this is a good example of how fvcked up our current health care system is, that a private company would cancel insurance on a brain surgery minutes before it was to get done.

And then there's more!~!!!!!!!!!

People use the imperfections of social health care to ward people away from it to keep them thinking like capitalists and accepting the crap system we have now.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 01:29:59 PM »
On socialized healthcare she would have died while on the waiting list just to go get the fMRI, nevermind surgery.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »
On socialized healthcare she would have died while on the waiting list just to go get the fMRI, nevermind surgery.

You actually have a point there come to think of it.

Do you realize that the population of these countries that have socialized health care are shrinking every year?

Yeah, its true.

Why?

Because anytime some one gets sick no one gets medical attention and they ALL DIE!

But the cool thing is, no one has to pay for it up front. 

*****This message has been brought to you by the mentally challenged coalition of the kill or be killed red necks.*****

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
Just ask Hugo, he had a rash and could not get an appointment.

Well wherever that rash was it could have been MRSA, or another string of staph...either bye bye bodypart, hello endocarditis, or death  :-\

It's a cool thing, "everyone gets healthcare" but not so cool when it comes down to fighting for time to stay alive to get that healthcare.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »
Who knows?   Maybe yes, maybe no.  Likely not, if the condition was that serious. But the point is she would had had to get it done and it would have got done.  And going a thousand miles or waiting a month if far better than not getting it done at all.  What woul dhave happened if it wasn't for FOX news?  Is that help available for everyone anytime? 

To top all that off, this is a good example of how fvcked up our current health care system is, that a private company would cancel insurance on a brain surgery minutes before it was to get done.

And then there's more!~!!!!!!!!!

People use the imperfections of social health care to ward people away from it to keep them thinking like capitalists and accepting the crap system we have now.

I think it's a good example of how greedy, callous, and shortsighted insurance companies can be.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:51 PM »
Just ask Hugo, he had a rash and could not get an appointment.

Well wherever that rash was it could have been MRSA, or another string of staph...either bye bye bodypart, hello endocarditis, or death  :-\

It's a cool thing, "everyone gets healthcare" but not so cool when it comes down to fighting for time to stay alive to get that healthcare.

Each seem to have their draw backs.

That's why a hybrid system would work best

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
I think it's a good example of how greedy, callous, and shortsighted insurance companies can be.  

Agreed.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »

And all things being equal, you will ALWAYS select the product/service that is cheaper.  You care not for the morals of the company that has to charge more money for the same service.

How about some goddamn personal responsibility here instead of always blaming government and corporations.  The more you blame them, the more freedom you lose.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
And all things being equal, you will ALWAYS select the product/service that is cheaper.  You care not for the morals of the company that has to charge more money for the same service.

How about some goddamn personal responsibility here instead of always blaming government and corporations.  The more you blame them, the more freedom you lose.

If ALL else is equal, then yes I generally choose the product that is cheaper.  But that's usually not the case.  I value service, honesty, professionalism, loyalty, and convenience more than price.  And I do care about morality.  I once boycotted Nike for a whole year over the conditions of their overseas operations.  Couldn't last any longer than a year.   :)

What does personal responsibility have to do with whether an insurance company with billions in reserves should pay for a medical procedure?   

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »
How about some goddamn personal responsibility here...

You're right. If she didn't have the surgery she could now be as brain dead as the idiots on Fox and Friends. :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »

This is a case where government regulation is needed and an example of the downside of capitalism.

Regardless of the what is charged for the insurance, it's unethical for the company to pull the plug before a surgery.

What an overly callous statement.  She had insurance she was paying for.  She had surgery scheduled and was moments away from it when the insurance company pulled there insurance.

How can she be to blame?  she paid her premiums and the bastards pulled her insurance.

Insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to do that.

It's not about losing freedom here.  It's about common moral and ethical standards in business such as price gauging.