Author Topic: No free ride for Europe, says top Barack Obama aide  (Read 1153 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
No free ride for Europe, says top Barack Obama aide
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
By Toby Harnden in Washington
19/07/2008

Europe will be challenged by a President Barack Obama to contribute more to global security and will no longer have the "easy out" of pandering to anti-Bush sentiment, according to a top adviser to the Democratic candidate.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph on the eve of Mr Obama's week-long trip to Afghanistan, the Middle East and Europe, Susan Rice emphasised that the election of Mr Obama would mark a decision by Americans to "turn the page" on President George W Bush.

But the former Rhodes Scholar, who took her Master's degree and doctorate in international relations at New College, Oxford, made clear that an Obama administration would also challenge Europe to do more after a Democratic victory in November's election.

"It would signal a return to the more pragmatic and bi-partisan traditions of American foreign policy, which have been lost to ideology in the Bush years," she said. "He will not proceed through an ideological frame and seek to impose that frame on every challenge.

"There is some truth to the notion that some of the animus at the popular level towards the Bush administration may have made it easier for some of our European partners to avoid taking steps that we may want them to take and that perhaps they ought to take," she said.

"That has, in some respects, perhaps on some issues, given them an easy out. Barack Obama will lead from a position of strength and seek progress, and he will want to work with Europe in very strong partnership.

"It means we in the United States will have to do our part; but Europe will have to do its part too. There can be no free riders if this is going to be an effective partnership."

The Obama campaign has highlighted Afghanistan as a prime example, arguing that Europe should send more troops there and lift restrictions on how they can be used.

On Tuesday, Mr Obama argued for a major sift in American policy away from the "single-minded and open-ended focus on Iraq" towards a broader approach to the world and vowed to send more troops to Afghanistan.

"Among the issues we will want to focus on together are a strong and effective approach to Iran and to the larger non-proliferation challenge, a robust effort to tackle climate change, as well as Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the situation is deteriorating and where we in the US as well as Nato need to do more," said Miss Rice.

She added: "And so Obama will ask more of ourselves and ask more of our closest allies."

Mr Obama is committed to withdrawing American troops from Iraq at a rate of one to two brigades a month. "Obama will maintain a residual US presence, but not permanent bases, to carry out specific missions.

She described these as "protecting our embassy, civilians and humanitarian workers; conducting counter-terrorism operations against remaining al-Qaeda elements; and continuing to train Iraqi police and security forces, if the Iraqis are making progress towards political reconciliation".

One of Mr Obama's toughest tasks would be to rebuild American relations with the world, she conceded.

"What happened in the Bush years, particularly in the early Bush years, was a precipitous drop off in European attitudes towards the United States and towards President Bush in particular.

"The polls for a number of years indicated that the frustration or the disillusion was directed primarily at President Bush. But over time, the United States and Bush came to be conflated in international popular opinion, not entirely but increasingly ... it doesn't serve American interests, and it needs to be repaired."

Miss Rice, 43, who is married with two children, was an Assistant Secretary of State under President Bill Clinton after a meteoric rise to the higher reaches of American policymaking.

Along with Tony Lake, Mr Clinton's first National Security Adviser - the key figure at the right hand of the president who co-ordinates foreign policy - Miss Rice leads a team of some 300 foreign policy advisers.

A tough, plain-speaking adviser who nevertheless has a hearty laugh and a direct, informal manner, Miss Rice is widely seen as being in line to become Mr Obama's National Security Adviser - the same role that Condoleezza Rice, now US Secretary of State, was given by George W. Bush in 2001.

But Miss Rice shrugs off the inevitable comparisons with the "other Dr Rice" - who is no relation - and won't be drawn on what position she might assume in an Obama administration.

"I have no idea who will be President Obama's National Security Adviser," she said. "I wouldn't begin to presume that.

"I wouldn't take the analogy [with Condoleezza Rice] particularly far. I respect Secretary Rice. We have a few things in common - we're African American women working in the field of national security named Rice that both have great affection for and ties to Stanford University, but beyond that I think the parallels are few."

Mr Obama is due to arrive in London on Friday night before meeting Gordon Brown at Downing Street and David Cameron, the Conservative party leader, on Saturday as well as meeting American supporters.

The centrepiece of his trip to Europe will be a major speech in Berlin, where he will arrive after stops in Jordan, Israel and the West Bank. He will then meet President Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris before flying to London, where he will be for less than 24 hours.

But Miss Rice batted away the concerns of some British diplomats that the focus on Germany and the fact that Britain was not Mr Obama's first stop might signal a watering down of what Winston Churchill first described as the "special relationship" between Britain and the United States.

She still valued Churchill's term, she said. "As far back as any of us can remember, the US and Britain have cooperated hand in hand to meet some of the most significant and dangerous security challenges we face.

"Americans look to Britain as a special partner, a special ally of historical and cultural significance as well as very practical everyday significance."
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: No free ride for Europe, says top Barack Obama aide
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
Obama bitchslapping Europe.  Take it all, G8.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
She still valued Churchill's term, she said. "As far back as any of us can remember, the US and Britain have cooperated hand in hand to meet some of the most significant and dangerous security challenges we face.

"Americans look to Britain as a special partner, a special ally of historical and cultural significance as well as very practical everyday significance."

Does she agree with what the great Churchill said about islam/muslims:

“The religion of Islam above all others was founded upon the sword … Moreover it provides incentives to slaughter, and in three continents has produced fighting breeds of men – filled with a wild and merciless fanaticism”. - Churchill , 1899
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
Do you know the first thing about islamic ideology?

Islam, the koran transcends time, it is infallible - forever true and applicable. Now, 100 years ago and 100 year in the future. That's the core concept.

Churchill came to that assertion after his time with the British Army in Africa. Africa hasn't changed much, nor has islam, nor have muslims.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Do you know the first thing about islamic ideology?

Islam, the koran transcends time, it is infallible - forever true and applicable. Now, 100 years ago and 100 year in the future. That's the core concept.
I am a Christian, bro. That same concept applies to the Bible. So I am not, nor do I need to be, an Islamic scholar to understand that belief in their holy scriptures.

Churchill came to that assertion after his time with the British Army in Africa. Africa hasn't changed much, nor has islam, nor have muslims.
The world has changed a great deal since 1899, my friend. The core teachings of the muslim faith have not changed, but the people have evolved as societies have changed. I do not have the time or inclination to give you a history lesson of modern Africa. Even a surface reading on the internet would affirm the ridiculousness of your assertion.
!

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
I am a Christian, bro. That same concept applies to the Bible. So I am not, nor do I need to be, an Islamic scholar to understand that belief in their holy scriptures.
The world has changed a great deal since 1899, my friend. The core teachings of the muslim faith have not changed, but the people have evolved as societies have changed. I do not have the time or inclination to give you a history lesson of modern Africa. Even a surface reading on the internet would affirm the ridiculousness of your assertion.

Yeah, right.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:47:04 AM »
!

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »

So you're saying islamic and Christian ideologies are interchangeable? That is absolutely false.

Where does the Bible lay intricate foundations, frameworks and guidelines for war? Christianity is much more philosophical and ambiguous compared to the totalitarian concept of the koran.

I brought the quote to bring up the fact that were islam is in control people are very much like what they were when Churchill was fighting mumbumbas.

P.S. humans evolved since 1899? ::)

My personal belief is that natural selection causes evolution to occur on a per generation basis, but humans from 50,000 years ago are pretty much identical to humans of today.

They could operate successfully in modern society. Look at Jag and Purple Aki, they seem to do OK.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »

Murderous then, murderous now...all that has changed is that they went from Henry rifles to the AK-47. An entire religion of worthless people.
L

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
Murderous then, murderous now...all that has changed is that they went from Henry rifles to the AK-47. An entire religion of worthless people.

When it all boils down to it and you get to the very core... your statement is 100% true. The only change is weaponry.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Religion sucks...who doesn't know that?
I hate the State.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »
Religion sucks...who doesn't know that?

Unfortunately the majority of the worlds populace. The enlightened ones are the minority :'(
الاسلام هو شيطانية

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
Mods,

Can you please split this thread from reply #2 through to reply #13 and place those in the Religion section?

They do nothing to further the discussion, but are OFF-Topic derailing the thread into a religious debate.

Now, ...back to the topic of this thread....

By Toby Harnden in Washington
19/07/2008

Europe will be challenged by a President Barack Obama to contribute more to global security and will no longer have the "easy out" of pandering to anti-Bush sentiment, according to a top adviser to the Democratic candidate.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph on the eve of Mr Obama's week-long trip to Afghanistan, the Middle East and Europe, Susan Rice emphasised that the election of Mr Obama would mark a decision by Americans to "turn the page" on President George W Bush.

But the former Rhodes Scholar, who took her Master's degree and doctorate in international relations at New College, Oxford, made clear that an Obama administration would also challenge Europe to do more after a Democratic victory in November's election.

"It would signal a return to the more pragmatic and bi-partisan traditions of American foreign policy, which have been lost to ideology in the Bush years," she said. "He will not proceed through an ideological frame and seek to impose that frame on every challenge.

"There is some truth to the notion that some of the animus at the popular level towards the Bush administration may have made it easier for some of our European partners to avoid taking steps that we may want them to take and that perhaps they ought to take," she said.

"That has, in some respects, perhaps on some issues, given them an easy out. Barack Obama will lead from a position of strength and seek progress, and he will want to work with Europe in very strong partnership.

"It means we in the United States will have to do our part; but Europe will have to do its part too. There can be no free riders if this is going to be an effective partnership."

The Obama campaign has highlighted Afghanistan as a prime example, arguing that Europe should send more troops there and lift restrictions on how they can be used.

This is where I see alot of Obama's political currency. He can gather co-operation from America's traditional allies, and make some progress towards American goals and objectives without having people drag their feet engaging in schadenfreude as has been the case for so many years under a Bush regime.

On Tuesday, Mr Obama argued for a major sift in American policy away from the "single-minded and open-ended focus on Iraq" towards a broader approach to the world and vowed to send more troops to Afghanistan.

"Among the issues we will want to focus on together are a strong and effective approach to Iran and to the larger non-proliferation challenge, a robust effort to tackle climate change, as well as Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the situation is deteriorating and where we in the US as well as Nato need to do more," said Miss Rice.

She added: "And so Obama will ask more of ourselves and ask more of our closest allies."

He is so immensely popular among the people all around the world, that he can ask and get what he wants from their leaders. What politician is going to dare to piss off a voter by denying Obama what he wants or needs, ...especially after basically saying FU to America for 8 years, as the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan got more messed up?

Mr Obama is committed to withdrawing American troops from Iraq at a rate of one to two brigades a month. "Obama will maintain a residual US presence, but not permanent bases, to carry out specific missions.

She described these as "protecting our embassy, civilians and humanitarian workers; conducting counter-terrorism operations against remaining al-Qaeda elements; and continuing to train Iraqi police and security forces, if the Iraqis are making progress towards political reconciliation".

One of Mr Obama's toughest tasks would be to rebuild American relations with the world, she conceded.

"What happened in the Bush years, particularly in the early Bush years, was a precipitous drop off in European attitudes towards the United States and towards President Bush in particular.

"The polls for a number of years indicated that the frustration or the disillusion was directed primarily at President Bush. But over time, the United States and Bush came to be conflated in international popular opinion, not entirely but increasingly ... it doesn't serve American interests, and it needs to be repaired."

I thoroughly agree with this. He would have a huge task ahead of him there, ...but I think he's certainly up to it.

Miss Rice, 43, who is married with two children, was an Assistant Secretary of State under President Bill Clinton after a meteoric rise to the higher reaches of American policymaking.

Odd, ...if she is 'married with two children', ...why is she still known as "Miss Rice"?   ???
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
Funny - Obama only tarted a war to protect their oil interests in Lybia. 

benny/obama/left wing = FAIL! 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
In everyday English usage, allies are people, groups, or nations that have joined together in an association for mutual benefit or to achieve some common purpose.

You don't think the financial stability of EUR (read: energy attained at advantageous prices) benefits the US?

How many french sorties will we have in the next libya if they're in the middle of an energy crisis?