Author Topic: Obamania grips Europe ahead of visit by "John Kennedy of our time"  (Read 1483 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Obamania grips Europe ahead of visit by "John Kennedy of our time"     
Jul 18 10:07 PM US/Eastern

Obamania is all the rage ahead of next week's visit to Berlin, Paris and London by a man described in newspapers as a "John Kennedy of our time" and Europe's champion in the race for the White House.

If western Europeans could vote in November's presidential election, Barack Obama, the 46-year-old Democratic senator, would be a shoo-in, according to a recent opinion poll conducted on behalf of Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

Seventy percent of Italians, 67 percent of Germans, 65 percent of the French and 49 percent of Britons would vote Obama.

This compared to just 15 percent in Italy, 6 percent in Germany, 8 percent in France, and 14 percent in Britain for Obama's Republican rival, John McCain, whose support for the war in Iraq is seen as a continuation of the policy of the current White House tenant, George W. Bush.

Meanwhile, in France, books about Obama sell like hot cakes.

In Britain and Germany, flattering newspaper profiles compare him to former US president John F. Kennedy.

And both Germany's Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, a social-democrat, and Italy's left-wing opposition leader Walter Veltroni have adopted Obama's "Yes we can" slogan for their political speeches.

In Spain, the new prime minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero has gone one further by publicly endorsing the Democratic senator.

"Yes, I like him," he told a Financial Times journalist who asked him if he wanted to see Obama in the White House.

In Germany, where leaders usually tread with caution on international issues, Obama's upcoming visit triggered an unseemly row within the coalition government.

Conservative Chancellor Angela Merkel criticized him for wanting to use Berlin's Brandenburg Gate -- a symbol of the country's reunification after 40 years of Cold War -- as a backdrop for a campaign speech, while Steinmeier openly welcomed such a move.

US president Ronald Reagan visited the site and famously called in 1987 on Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down" the Berlin wall which at the time surrounded it.

Both Merkel and Steinmeier have since tried to tone down the dispute by proclaiming their delight at the visit and announcing they will hold separate talks with the senator on Thursday.

Obama, the press says, still intends to address a large public meeting during his trip to Berlin, but his aides were considering other possible venues for the speech -- including Tempelhof airport, which made history 60 years ago as the heart of the airlift to break the Soviet blocade of west Berlin.

Another option would be the winged Victory column, erected in the centre of Berlin in the late 19th century to celebrate Prussia's defeat of Denmark, Austria, and France.

Constanze Stelzenmueller, director of the German Marshall Fund of the United States in Berlin, believes Obama appeals to Germans because of his apparent willingness to listen and hear what people abroad have to say.

"After eight years of George W. Bush that's a welcome change," she added.

"Germans, more than anyone else, have also long been fans of the German-American bond" which explains why Obama has chosen Berlin for his major public campaign speech.

Stelzenmueller warned however that Europeans might have set their hopes too high.

"Germans are projecting a lot on Obama because his mixed heritage is seen as making him more multicultural" and open to the world, but "exaggerated expectations are bound to be disappointed" in the long term, she said.

In Britain, Trevor McCrisken, associate professor of US politics and international studies at Warwick University, offered a similar analysis of why Obama appeals to Britons.

"I think there's a pretty certain feeling on this side of the Atlantic that any Democrat would be an excellent alternative to Bush because they would be much more outward looking, listening more to European allies," he said.

Obama's charisma played well and the colour of his skin was a symbol of the change he offered.

"Here, I think it's more symbolic of him being a very different kind of politician," he said. "It demonstrates how the outlook for the rest of the world will change compared to under Bush."

!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obamania grips Europe ahead of visit by "John Kennedy of our time"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
DIdn't Bush flip the bird to G8 leaders and gloat about being the #1 emissions offender last week as he exited?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Obama loses German hearts and minds ahead of Berlin visit
Yahoo News ^  | 18 Jun 2013 | Marc Young

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:29:19 AM by mandaladon

BERLIN—When Barack Obama last visited Berlin back in 2008, Constanze Fröhlich felt like she was part of history. “He was about to become the first black president—I wanted to support that,” the 35-year-old university researcher told Yahoo News. “It was really amazing so many people were there.” Back then, in a surprising outpouring of Teutonic affection for Obama, a euphoric crowd of 200,000 turned up to hear the Democratic presidential contender speak in the German capital. “People of the world: Look at Berlin, where a wall came down, a continent came together, and history proved that there is no challenge too great for a world that stands as one,” he told the rapturous masses. “This city, of all cities, knows the dream of freedom.” But five years later, Germany’s love affair with the U.S. president has gone cold. Obama can still expect Chancellor Angela Merkel to give him a grand reception on his official two-day visit. But his high-profile speech on Wednesday in front of the city’s Brandenburg Gate—almost exactly 50 years after John F. Kennedy’s historic “Ich bin ein Berliner” address—will be given to a vetted audience of only a few thousand. And it’s doubtful hundreds of thousands would have turned up to listen to Obama had it been open to the public anyway. Average Germans these days appear at best mildly disillusioned and at worst deeply angry with the man who promised hope and change. “I thought it was great that he became president. But there’s more distance now. He’s been consumed by daily politics,” said Fröhlich.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
Wtf? Why the fuck were/are Germans so enthralled with Americas president? It's not like he promised them hope and change. You couldn't fucking pay me to show up to see a speech by Germanys prime minister. Fucking weird Euros.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Wtf? Why the fuck were/are Germans so enthralled with Americas president? It's not like he promised them hope and change. You couldn't fucking pay me to show up to see a speech by Germanys prime minister. Fucking weird Euros.

for real. will someone please tell Germany no one fucking cares what they think about our President? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
Obama Repeatedly Calls British Chancellor by Wrong Name at G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Article
Print ArticleSend a Tip

from AFP  20 Jun 2013, 2:20 AM PDT 32  post a comment 

Barack Obama repeatedly called Chancellor George Osborne "Jeffrey" as he was briefing G8 leaders on his plans for a crackdown on tax avoidance, media reported on Thursday.

The US president three times said he agreed fully with "Jeffrey" during his presentation on the government's flagship scheme, leaving the chancellor red-faced.

Realising his mistake afterwards, Obama joked that he had mistaken Osborne for the US R&B and soul singer Jeffrey Osborne, the Sun and Financial Times reported.

"I'm sorry, man. I must have confused you with my favourite R&B singer," Obama was quoted as saying.

The chancellor, 42, bears little resemblance to Jeffrey Osborne, a 65-year-old African-American hit singer-songwriter from Rhode Island known for his 1982 classic "On the Wings of Love".

Jeffrey Osborne told Sky News on Thursday: "I was really delighted actually. I was really not aware that (Obama) was that much of a fan that he would call the Chancellor Jeffrey Osborne.

"Tell the Chancellor when I come over I will have to hook up with him and we will do a duet of 'On The Wings Of Love' or something."

The Sun quoted an onlooker at the session as saying: "Osborne looked really put out.

"The first time Obama did it was bad enough, but then he kept on repeating the error throughout the presentation. It got really cringe-worthy by the end."

LMFAO!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Obama Repeatedly Calls British Chancellor by Wrong Name at G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Article
Print ArticleSend a Tip

from AFP  20 Jun 2013, 2:20 AM PDT 32  post a comment 

Barack Obama repeatedly called Chancellor George Osborne "Jeffrey" as he was briefing G8 leaders on his plans for a crackdown on tax avoidance, media reported on Thursday.

The US president three times said he agreed fully with "Jeffrey" during his presentation on the government's flagship scheme, leaving the chancellor red-faced.

Realising his mistake afterwards, Obama joked that he had mistaken Osborne for the US R&B and soul singer Jeffrey Osborne, the Sun and Financial Times reported.

"I'm sorry, man. I must have confused you with my favourite R&B singer," Obama was quoted as saying.

The chancellor, 42, bears little resemblance to Jeffrey Osborne, a 65-year-old African-American hit singer-songwriter from Rhode Island known for his 1982 classic "On the Wings of Love".

Jeffrey Osborne told Sky News on Thursday: "I was really delighted actually. I was really not aware that (Obama) was that much of a fan that he would call the Chancellor Jeffrey Osborne.

"Tell the Chancellor when I come over I will have to hook up with him and we will do a duet of 'On The Wings Of Love' or something."

The Sun quoted an onlooker at the session as saying: "Osborne looked really put out.

"The first time Obama did it was bad enough, but then he kept on repeating the error throughout the presentation. It got really cringe-worthy by the end."

LMFAO!!!

If Romney had done something like this the liberal media would have wet their pants.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:44:22 AM »
BUMP - LLLMMMFFFAAAOOOO!!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
Obamania grips Europe ahead of visit by "John Kennedy of our time"     
Jul 18 10:07 PM US/Eastern

Obamania is all the rage ahead of next week's visit to Berlin, Paris and London by a man described in newspapers as a "John Kennedy of our time" and Europe's champion in the race for the White House.

:-[

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »
:-[

For once i agree with you.

Absurd.