Author Topic: South Morning China Post: Authorities order bars not to serve black people  (Read 1030 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :o

South Morning China Post: Authorities order bars not to serve black people
Submitted by BeijingOlympics on Fri, 2008-07-18 16:52. :: beijing nightlife | news | sanlitun

This article was aggregated from Beijing Olympics Blog

Most of the reporting I have seen in the western press on the lead up to the Beijing Olympics I have felt has been fairly accurate and I have had first hand experience of many of the stories. This report in the South Morning China Post is probably one of the less researched stories and paints Beijing and China in a particularly bad light. Beijing nightclub blogger Beijing Boyce asked around at several bars that foreigners frequent and he said none of the owners or managers had received such orders.

From the article:

Beijing authorities are secretly planning to ban black people and others it considers social undesirables from entering the city’s bars during the Olympic Games, a move that would contradict the official slogan, “One World, One Dream”.

Bar owners near the Workers’ Stadium in central Beijing say they have been forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises….

Security officials are targeting Sanlitun, which Olympic organisers expect to be a key destination for foreign tourists looking for a party during the Games.

The pledges that Sanlitun bar owners had been instructed to sign agreed to stop a variety of activities in their establishments, including dancing and serving customers with black skin, they said.

There have been some bar closures in Beijing particularly in the Sanlitun area, but closures were probably due to illegal drugs.

http://www.chinalyst.net/node/42481

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
:o

South Morning China Post: Authorities order bars not to serve black people
Submitted by BeijingOlympics on Fri, 2008-07-18 16:52. :: beijing nightlife | news | sanlitun

This article was aggregated from Beijing Olympics Blog

Most of the reporting I have seen in the western press on the lead up to the Beijing Olympics I have felt has been fairly accurate and I have had first hand experience of many of the stories. This report in the South Morning China Post is probably one of the less researched stories and paints Beijing and China in a particularly bad light. Beijing nightclub blogger Beijing Boyce asked around at several bars that foreigners frequent and he said none of the owners or managers had received such orders.

From the article:

Beijing authorities are secretly planning to ban black people and others it considers social undesirables from entering the city’s bars during the Olympic Games, a move that would contradict the official slogan, “One World, One Dream”.

Bar owners near the Workers’ Stadium in central Beijing say they have been forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises….

Security officials are targeting Sanlitun, which Olympic organisers expect to be a key destination for foreign tourists looking for a party during the Games.

The pledges that Sanlitun bar owners had been instructed to sign agreed to stop a variety of activities in their establishments, including dancing and serving customers with black skin, they said.

There have been some bar closures in Beijing particularly in the Sanlitun area, but closures were probably due to illegal drugs.

http://www.chinalyst.net/node/42481

I have read accounts where chinese officials have requested that certain restaurants discourage foreigners from ordering certain local delicacies from their menus, and some have gone as far as to remove them from the menu completely during the games. But these local dishes will still be available in the non tourist areas for local diners, ...and the government is requesting that eateries not serve these food items to those whose palates are not accustomed to them.

I have neither seen nor heard of any sort of policy that your post above implies. I don't give it much credibility at all.

I know many people who travel back & forth to China on a regular basis to do business and encounter no such discrimination.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

I have read accounts where chinese officials have requested that certain restaurants discourage foreigners from ordering certain local delicacies from their menus, and some have gone as far as to remove them from the menu completely during the games. But these local dishes will still be available in the non tourist areas for local diners, ...and the government is requesting that eateries not serve these food items to those whose palates are not accustomed to them.

I have neither seen nor heard of any sort of policy that your post above implies. I don't give it much credibility at all.

I know many people who travel back & forth to China on a regular basis to do business and encounter no such discrimination.

Like what?

Chilled monkey brains?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Like what?

Chilled monkey brains?

Man's best friend.  :-X
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Like what?

Chilled monkey brains?
holy shit... I didn't remember it was the chinese doing that and so I went to look it up, of course there was a clip and I ended up on Youtube where I've spent the last hour looking a faces of death clips.  I feel a bit sick now lol. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Man's best friend.  :-X

Tasty stuff; I have tried it.
I hate the State.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
STOP HATING, im going back in september and im gonna eat fresh beaten to death dog  :)

youandme

• Getbig V
Tasty stuff; I have tried it.

I tried it, taste like chewy ground beef, mixed with an egg.