Author Topic: having everything in Spanish is crippling the Latino Community  (Read 768 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
I have notice with my job that when you have everything in Spanish (forms, etc) they choose not to learn English. Many choose to not even want to speak English, but ask if you speak Spanish. Also many live in communities where they have everything in spanish (Verizon Bills, etc), or Spanish speaking communities, so when they must leave those communities, to do something, they are crippled. It's a shame in which you must bring someone who know English with you.

In effect, this has created almost a second class of people, and may if not corrected split America into Spanish speaking and English speaking sections. Companies, and our government neither care, nor can see what they are doing, they are hindering people from intergrating into American society, but rather segregating based on language, by offering all these services. The companies just want their money, the government, well is run by the companies

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: having everything in Spanish is crippling the Latino Community
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »
I have notice with my job that when you have everything in Spanish (forms, etc) they choose not to learn English. Many choose to not even want to speak English, but ask if you speak Spanish. Also many live in communities where they have everything in spanish (Verizon Bills, etc), or Spanish speaking communities, so when they must leave those communities, to do something, they are crippled. It's a shame in which you must bring someone who know English with you.

In effect, this has created almost a second class of people, and may if not corrected split America into Spanish speaking and English speaking sections. Companies, and our government neither care, nor can see what they are doing, they are hindering people from intergrating into American society, but rather segregating based on language, by offering all these services. The companies just want their money, the government, well is run by the companies

Obama says we should learn Spanish. I don't recall him telling the hispanics to learn English.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »
Obama says we should learn Spanish. I don't recall him telling the hispanics to learn English.

He did, ...but since you don't know Spanish,  it sailed right over your head.  ;D
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:03:01 AM »
He did, ...but since you don't know Spanish,  it sailed right over your head.  ;D

Do you speak spanish, moslem? I took enough French to speak it fluently for a few years, having since lost it since this is an English speaking country. Maybe people who don't want to learn to English should get the fuck out? Spanish as a language just sounds gross to me. Almost as bad as Mandarin.

Why is that all the Europeans who came over here during the 1800s and 1900s learned English yet the hispanics in 2008 refuse to learn it?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:33:29 AM »
Thats an excellent point.  We should help translate some things in order to help immigrants & facilitate learning English but not to the point where they feel they don't need to learn English, thats a problem.
Its wise for us to learn other languages but having communities within the US where they don't need to learn English create problems. 
Few people that come to this country want to assimilate anymore.  This is a real issue because we will not have unity in being American.  Getting everyone thats here to learn English is a must.  Knowing a second or third language is just a benefit but for the country to run effectively, a country's citizens must have a common language.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
Thats an excellent point.  We should help translate some things in order to help immigrants & facilitate learning English but not to the point where they feel they don't need to learn English, thats a problem.
Its wise for us to learn other languages but having communities within the US where they don't need to learn English create problems. 
Few people that come to this country want to assimilate anymore.  This is a real issue because we will not have unity in being American.  Getting everyone thats here to learn English is a must.  Knowing a second or third language is just a benefit but for the country to run effectively, a country's citizens must have a common language.

Due to my job, I have learned enough Spanish to convey a point, in relation to my job. But many people will come in and speak English, but don't want to, and then argue in English as to why someone doesn't speak Spanish. I have people who don't even know there own address, but have lived here for years. All they know is "Down the street from the Popeyes". Typically, many of the people who come from El Salvador, Honduras, for example, are illiterate in their own language, so it's even harder for them to learn English. All the companies that provide all these services or cater to them, by having everything in Spanish, will severely cripple the community, where they cannot convey their wants and needs to the government (local, state, and federal)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »

He they would eventually learn english............BULL CRAP

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
He said they would eventually learn english............BULL CRAP

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Due to my job, I have learned enough Spanish to convey a point, in relation to my job. But many people will come in and speak English, but don't want to, and then argue in English as to why someone doesn't speak Spanish. I have people who don't even know there own address, but have lived here for years. All they know is "Down the street from the Popeyes". Typically, many of the people who come from El Salvador, Honduras, for example, are illiterate in their own language, so it's even harder for them to learn English. All the companies that provide all these services or cater to them, by having everything in Spanish, will severely cripple the community, where they cannot convey their wants and needs to the government (local, state, and federal)

totally agree. 

they should be given exactly 18 months.   If they don't learn passible english by then, then get get out.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
This issue was pushed and pushed by Lou Dobbs....in the end he was labeled a racist be the Democrats, and he has a Hispanic wife  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
totally agree. 

they should be given exactly 18 months.   If they don't learn passible english by then, then get get out.

I'd probably give a pass to old people, but I like the concept. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
This issue was pushed and pushed by Lou Dobbs....in the end he was labeled a racist be the Democrats, and he has a Hispanic wife  ::)

I would love to debate someone who would call me a racist for supporting that.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
That's the thing.  If you don't translate any forms then they would HAVE to learn English.  We would have to do the same thing if we moved to other non-English speaking countries so why don't we apply the same rules?  Christ, we fund enough fucking programs to teach their children English why can't they take a night class, watch English tv, etc?

Obama will next be telling us to learn Arabic, fucking idiot.  You know he is just catering to voters.  Tu sabes?  Lol

Bottom line, this country was founded and established by ENGLISH speaking people. Let's keep it that way.
Squishy face retard

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
totally agree. 

It is the most frustrating thing, because due to the lack wanting or trying to know their own address or directions to it, they are hemmed up.
 I told one person, that he needed to take lessons. I told one interpreter who was making a killing at two courthouses for interpreting Spanish cases (she would stand outside the courthouse like a vulture), that she could make a killing offering English lessons. She viewed these people as money in the bank, every Latino had a dollar sign on them, and she exploited their ignorance.

A guy I know, when he came down and saw all these forms in Spanish, and very little in Korean, was upset, his woman, is from Ethiopia, but she learned English, and hec an't understand why others can't, or why they don't have forms in her native tongue