Author Topic: Obama scraps visit to wounded troops  (Read 4387 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Obama scraps visit to wounded troops
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »
Good job douchbag.....

BERLIN (AP) - Sen. Barack Obama scrapped plans to visit wounded members of the armed forces in Germany as part of his overseas trip, a decision his spokesman said was made because the Democratic presidential candidate thought it would be inappropriate on a campaign-funded journey.
The spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said Thursday that Obama made his decision out of respect for the servicemen and women, but Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign immediately criticized the move.

"Barack Obama is wrong. It is never inappropriate to visit our men and women in the military," said Brian Rogers, a spokesman for the Republican contender.

Obama's decision raised a number of questions because the visit, which had been scheduled for Friday, never appeared on the schedule of events distributed to reporters who are accompanying him on his travels.

The first word from the campaign about its existence was Gibbs' statement.

Obama had been planning to go to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany before a flight to Paris. Gibbs said the stop was canceled because Obama decided "it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign."

We don't want to see loosers and terrorist shitbag apeasers anyway.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama scraps visit to wounded troops
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

it's a cmapaign trip.  suppose he made a million bucks in donations from this trip.  all you'd hear about is how he milked the troops for money.

no win here.  mccain team will bitch no matter what.  they're jealous lol...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »
The troops would not be giving him money, he'd be visiting the troops,period.
L

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »
Good job douchbag.....

BERLIN (AP) - Sen. Barack Obama scrapped plans to visit wounded members of the armed forces in Germany as part of his overseas trip, a decision his spokesman said was made because the Democratic presidential candidate thought it would be inappropriate on a campaign-funded journey.
The spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said Thursday that Obama made his decision out of respect for the servicemen and women, but Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign immediately criticized the move.

"Barack Obama is wrong. It is never inappropriate to visit our men and women in the military," said Brian Rogers, a spokesman for the Republican contender.

Obama's decision raised a number of questions because the visit, which had been scheduled for Friday, never appeared on the schedule of events distributed to reporters who are accompanying him on his travels.

Obama had been planning to go to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany before a flight to Paris. Gibbs said the stop was canceled because Obama decided "it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign."

Don't think your going to hear about that on CNN, MSNBC or read about it the LA or NY Times.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
Good job douchbag.....

What the . . .?!?!   ???   >:(  So he can go give a photo-op speech to a bunch of foreigners, but can't visit wounded troops?  What an idiot. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
Well Beach u just summed it up...think he'll be Obermann's worst person. I hate that guy.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
Guess u guys are missed this, getting alot of play. Obama went the he Ritz and worked out once he found out that his media hype machine would not be allowed to follow along. Uncle Sam was even going to provide our own photogs to go with him so it would get covered. Once again.....douchebag. He really cares...when its convenient for him.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
Class act.

I guess shaking the hand of Akmer, and Juda were more important than shaking the hands of American Soldiers.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
Actually it was the Pentagon who put the kibosh on his visit because he was going to do the visit with his campaign staff.

Oddly, they (the Pentagon) had known that for weeks

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
i love keith olbermann

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »
Oddly they knew that was against the rules, and oddly the DOD bent over backward to try and help him.....
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:22:06 PM »
whoa, did I just miss something or missunderstand, didn't you just dog him for going to do it?  If not, my bust, I thought I read a post where you were.  anyway, it doesn't sound good.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
Oddly they knew that was against the rules, and oddly the DOD bent over backward to try and help him.....

I don't know all the details

please clarify it for me

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »
The Pentagon expressed concerns.  They didn't stop him from visiting.  This guy continues to use poor judgment.  He determined that making a speech to some foreigners for the purpose of snippets in his campaign commercials was more important than possible criticism by some of his visit to wounded troops.  That's just sad.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »
McCain camp pounces on Obama troop visit cancellation

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain's campaign lashed out at Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday for canceling a visit to an American military base in Germany on Thursday.

"The most solemn duty of a commander in chief is to fulfill his responsibility to the men and women who serve this country in uniform," retired Lt. Col. Joe Reypya, speaking on behalf of the McCain, said in a statement. "Barack Obama ... broke that commitment, instead flitting from one European capital to the next."

And in a McCain ad that began airing Saturday, Obama is chided for making "time to go to the gym" instead of visiting with wounded troops.

The ad is being televised in Colorado, Pennsylvania and the Washington area, according to The Associated Press. Watch the ad at Time.com

The incident is representative of the delicacy with which the Obama campaign has attempted to navigate the Illinois senator's entire journey abroad, at once staging elaborate photo-ops beamed back to the American media while at insisting that Obama's trip is not a political one by definition.

Obama arrived back in the United States on Saturday night.

The presumptive Democratic nominee had planned on visiting a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, housing American troops injured in Iraq.  Watch more on the troop controversy »

The visit was expected to come after Obama's speech in Berlin, Germany, but the campaign suddenly announced Thursday that the stop had been canceled, saying Obama had determined that it would be "inappropriate."

"For a young man so apt at playing president, Barack Obama badly misjudged the important demands of the office he seeks," Reypya said in Saturday's statement. "Visits with world leaders and speeches to cheering Europeans shouldn't be a substitute for comforting injured American heroes," he added.

The Obama campaign responded Saturday by saying that the last thing Obama wanted "was to have injured soldiers get pulled into the back-and-forth of a political campaign."

"That's why we imagine Sen. McCain would be surprised that his campaign released this wildly inappropriate accusation that politicizes the issue," Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement.

McCain himself joined in the rebuke, the AP reported, saying in an interview to be aired Sunday by ABC's "This Week" that "if I had been told by the Pentagon that I couldn't visit those troops, and I was there and wanted to be there, I guarantee you, there would have been a seismic event."

Senior Obama adviser Robert Gibbs said Friday that retired Major Gen. Scott Gration, a policy adviser to the campaign, received a call from Pentagon officials earlier in the week expressing concerns about the trip -- specifically because Obama was heading there on his campaign plane and campaign staff members would be accompanying him on the visit.

After speaking with Gration, the campaign decided to cancel the trip. Gibbs said Obama is "comfortable with the decision" because he did not want to make the troops part of a campaign event.  Watch more on Obama's trip to Germany »

But the decision to cancel the event quickly drew widespread criticism from conservative blogs and McCain's campaign.

"Barack Obama is wrong," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said in a statement Friday. "It is never 'inappropriate' to visit our men and women in the military.''

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said later Friday that the Pentagon did not explicitly say Obama should not visit the base but was concerned with whether his capacity there would be one of a presidential candidate, not a senator.

"We do have certain policy guidelines for political campaigns and elections. And what is appropriate and what is not appropriate in those situations. But the Pentagon certainly did not tell the senator that he could not visit Landstuhl," Whitman said.

"Generally speaking, the military tries very hard not to get involved in political campaigns," he said. "Conducting a campaign speech for example on a military installation is not something that would be appropriate to do."

In another sign that the Obama campaign has had difficulty maintaining the notion the presidential candidate's trip is devoid of politics, it also received criticism Thursday night for distributing an e-mail to supporters that highlighted Obama's Berlin speech and included a link for online donations.

The campaign insists that it was not a fundraising e-mail.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/26/obama.troops/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:31 PM »
lol, you guys actually believe there wasn't a political setup in this.  Oh the pentagon would never engage in something like that... LOLOLOL... ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:51 AM »
Weak for mccain to attack him.

He DID visit them in Iraq, right?  The problem was with him visitng in Germany?

Mccain needs some better material.  If the worst he can say about obama is "he visited some troops, but didn't visit others, and it possibly didn't have to do with pentagon interference"...

well, that's pathetic.  Attack his policies, his inexperience, etc.  But for mccain to spend his political capital attacking for everything, even trivial shit, reduces his credibility.  if mccain complained about only 3 things this whole campaign, I'd listen.  But this week alone... "Obama shouldn't be at that stage in berlin... obama's getting all the coverage... obama only visited the troops once"...

man up.  Quit whining.  Tell us solutions on the economy, johnny.  don't sit on the sideline for 3 reporters and complain.  Are you going to "complain" when shit goes wrong in the world?  Or will you grab the bull by the nutsack adn fix them?  Obama showed balls this week visited those places.  I wish mccain would start showin some.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 02:02:54 AM »

Mccain needs some better material.  If the worst he can say about obama is "he visited some troops, but didn't visit others, and it possibly didn't have to do with pentagon interference"...

well, that's pathetic.  Attack his policies, his inexperience, etc.  But for mccain to spend his political capital attacking for everything, even trivial shit, reduces his credibility.  if mccain complained about only 3 things this whole campaign, I'd listen.  But this week alone... "Obama shouldn't be at that stage in berlin... obama's getting all the coverage... obama only visited the troops once"...

man up.  Quit whining.  Tell us solutions on the economy, johnny.  don't sit on the sideline for 3 reporters and complain.  Are you going to "complain" when shit goes wrong in the world?  Or will you grab the bull by the nutsack adn fix them?  Obama showed balls this week visited those places.  I wish mccain would start showin some.

You gotta feel for the guy though. Obama is in Germany being enthusiastically received by 200,000+ people,
...while mccain is in a supermarket in PA getting interrupted by the loudspeaker and getting attacked by applesauce

w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »

You gotta feel for the guy though. Obama is in Germany being enthusiastically received by 200,000+ people,
...while mccain is in a supermarket in PA getting interrupted by the loudspeaker and getting attacked by applesauce

Wow, hilarious clip by the Daily Show there.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »

Regardless, Obama made a commitment to visit those troops. Instead, he chose to spend time with people who weren't voting and then decided to not honor his commitment. Putting media opportunities with Europeans ahead of visits with American soldiers fighting for this country just shows that he's really no different from any other politician. He's not the messiah every douche is making him out to be.

Why is it that Obama can do no wrong to some people? He's a scumbag, just like McCain.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 08:55:47 AM »
Regardless, Obama made a commitment to visit those troops. Instead, he chose to spend time with people who weren't voting and then decided to not honor his commitment. Putting media opportunities with Europeans ahead of visits with American soldiers fighting for this country just shows that he's really no different from any other politician. He's not the messiah every douche is making him out to be.

To what extent is unknown - but the Pentagon did run interference with the visit in Germany.  They say they intervened innocently, Obama said their restrrictions made it impossible to do it logistically.  I don't think Obama would intentionally miss a photo op like this, specially when he had visited troops in the 3 straight days before.  The fact that the pentagon interfered at all, points the finger of blame on them. 

Why is it that Obama can do no wrong to some people? He's a scumbag, just like McCain.

I agree 100%.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »

I agree. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
The Repugs did a good job making nothing into something and keeping everyone distracted from real issues.

IMO - Obama should have went ahead with the visit but due to the media bullshit he was basically in a damned if you do - damned if you don't situation.

If he had gone through with the visit he would have been criticized for using the troops as political props (you know - kind of like Bush likes to do).

It's all bullshit folks

wake up and start paying attention to real issues

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »
The Repugs did a good job making nothing into something and keeping everyone distracted from real issues.

IMO - Obama should have went ahead with the visit but due to the media bullshit he was basically in a damned if you do - damned if you don't situation.

If he had gone through with the visit he would have been criticized for using the troops as political props (you know - kind of like Bush likes to do).

It's all bullshit folks

wake up and start paying attention to real issues

Yeah,  it actually outlines the desperation by repubs at this point.

MCain should do a depends commercial.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
Yeah,  it actually outlines the desperation by repubs at this point.

Many people here can pretend it's a serious issue, but they know in their hearts that if that's the best thing they've got, they're in twubble.