Author Topic: House poised to apologize for slavery, Jim Crow  (Read 2530 times)

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
House poised to apologize for slavery, Jim Crow
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
How soon until reparations for both the first nations and the blacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/29/house.slavery/index.html
 WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives was poised Tuesday to pass a resolution apologizing to African-Americans for slavery and the era of Jim Crow.
The House is poised to pass a resolution that would apologize for slavery and Jim Crow.

The House is poised to pass a resolution that would apologize for slavery and Jim Crow.

The nonbinding resolution, which is expected to pass, was introduced by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white lawmaker who represents a majority black district in Memphis, Tennessee.

While many states have apologized for slavery, it will be first time a branch of the federal government will apologize for slavery if the resolution passes, an aide to Cohen said.

By passing the resolution, the House would also acknowledge the "injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow."

Jim Crow, or Jim Crow laws, were state and local laws enacted mostly in the Southern and border states of the United States between the 1870s and 1965, when African-Americans were denied the right to vote and other civil liberties and were legally segregated from whites.

The resolution states that "the vestiges of Jim Crow continue to this day."

"African-Americans continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow -- long after both systems were formally abolished -- through enormous damage and loss, both tangible and intangible, including the loss of human dignity and liberty, the frustration of careers and professional lives, and the long-term loss of income and opportunity," the resolution states.

The House would also commit itself to stopping "the occurrence of human rights violations in the future," if it passes the resolution.

The resolution does not address the controversial issue of reparations. Some members of the African-American community have called on lawmakers to give cash payments or other financial benefits to descendents of slaves as compensation for the suffering caused by slavery.

The resolution will not be the first time lawmakers have apologized to an ethnic group for past injustices.

In April, the Senate passed a resolution sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, that apologized to Native Americans for "the many instances of violence, maltreatment and neglect."

In 1993, the Senate also passed a resolution apologizing for the "illegal overthrow" of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1893.

In 1988, Congress passed and President Reagan signed a law apologizing to the 120,000 Japanese-Americans who were held in detention camps during World War II. The 60,000 detainees who were alive at the time each received $20,000 from the government.

Z

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: House poised to apologize for slavery, Jim Crow
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »
 ::)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
Read the first three sentences....

Wow ::)
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
Anyone here know of any living former slaves or slave owners?  ???
S

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »
It's about fucking time.  ::)

Anyone here know of any living former slaves or slave owners?  ???
No, but I know quite a few that are the grandson and granddaughter of "former slaves" . They also lived through de facto slavery...that period of Jim Crow that you seemed to ignore.  ;)
!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »
is the government going to apologize for the discrimination that whites have suffered at the hands of affirmative action?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
"In this resolution the apology hereinafter should be directed towards "slavechilds""

Weird

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
Formal apologies will only open the way for more possible discussion for monetary Reparations to all blacks.  Hey, let's destroy the black community even further with even more handouts.

This apology is nothing more than momentarily symbolic, and will be forgotten soon enough.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
Formal apologies will only open the way for more possible discussion for monetary Reparations to all blacks.  Hey, let's destroy the black community even further with even more handouts.

This apology is nothing more than momentarily symbolic, and will be forgotten soon enough.
exactly and exactly this just opens the door...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »
I heard they're going to be handing these out with each apology...

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
what a fucking joke

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
Ridiculous... Even if you give them money, like they said in that Ice Cube movie.

"It ain't gonna do nothing but make Cadillac the number one car in America."

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »
This will accomplish nothing. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
What a load of shit.

It's high time for blacks to get over their sense of entitlement. No one in this life owes anyone jackshit - you get what you work for. Period.

No wonder Asian and Indian immigrants come to America and run circles around them.

However, if reparations does pass I'm going to buy stock in KFC and GM.  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
What a load of shit.

It's high time for blacks to get over their sense of entitlement. No one in this life owes anyone jackshit - you get what you work for. Period.

No wonder Asian and Indian immigrants come to America and run circles around them.

However, if reparations does pass I'm going to buy stock in KFC and GM.  ;D

Just in time for the crash! Kewl! You don't actually think lawmakers will give a whole bunch of money to black people without devising a way to get it all back again do you?

ps: your bottom is looking ripe.
w

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
There won't be any cash.

Just 40 acres and a mule.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »
Just in time for the crash! Kewl! You don't actually think lawmakers will give a whole bunch of money to black people without devising a way to get it all back again do you?

ps: your bottom is looking ripe.

LOL

You're right, Judi. The gubbamint doesn't give anything away for free.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »
LOL

You're right, Judi. The gubbamint doesn't give anything away for free.

What's a gubbamint?
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »
What's a gubbamint?

it's who i gits mah booze money from - teh gubbamint.  ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
What a load of shit.

yep

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 06:56:04 AM »
I have no problem with the federal gov issuing a formal appology/recognizing the injustice in allowing slavery in this country's history. 

However, the reparations issue needs to be dropped completely.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 07:11:46 AM »
is the government going to apologize for the discrimination that whites have suffered at the hands of affirmative action?

well with a 400 year head start and leglislation that specifically worked in whites favor and to the disfavor of non whites (minus irish because they did have it bad when they first came to new work in the mid 1800s)
I would think that some kind of provisions were made..

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
Well I'm glad they are going to apologize to my great great grandma and grandpa for getting whipped from the back to pick peanuts and cotton, however they've been dead for about 80 years so its pretty pointless.

As far as the reparations are concerned....chuckle.  You can't pay back wages for 400 years of slavery.  However if they start handing out checks then I'm not going to say a word.  Hell, the Cherokee where I live around don't.  They don't have a work a single day in their lives..... ;D
A

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:39 AM »
Well I'm glad they are going to apologize to my great great grandma and grandpa for getting whipped from the back to pick peanuts and cotton, however they've been dead for about 80 years so its pretty pointless.

As far as the reparations are concerned....chuckle.  You can't pay back wages for 400 years of slavery.  However if they start handing out checks then I'm not going to say a word.  Hell, the Cherokee where I live around don't.  They don't have a work a single day in their lives..... ;D

Get back in the damn tool shed, you got cotton to pick and bee pollen

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »

Yeah....seeing how free capitol/labor enabled the US to become the richest country w/o overhead  costs...i would say that to pay the decendants of slaves the fed would have to hand over ft. knox... ;D