Author Topic: Virginia governor not saying if he's Obama's top VP choice  (Read 1310 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Virginia governor not saying if he's Obama's top VP choice
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:26 AM »
Don't really know anything about this guy. 

Virginia governor not saying if he's Obama's top VP choice

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations, and I don't really share them."

At a news conference after the interview, Kaine said he is not seeking the vice presidential slot.

"I haven't sought it, I'm not running for it, I'm not asking for it. I never asked anything of the campaign. I didn't endorse him to get anything. I endorsed him to help him," he said.

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both The Washington Post and Politico.com reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's vice presidential short list.  Watch more on the vice presidential guessing game »

According to The Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, however they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Sen. Obama's running mate." Interactive: Who is in the running to be VP?

Political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket. In addition to hailing from a conservative to moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has been governor for only three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short résumé on national security credentials.

Speculation that Obama may be moving closer to selecting a running mate kicked into high gear Monday after he was spotted heading into the Washington office building of his top vice presidential vetter, Eric Holder.

Following a roundtable with some of his top economic advisers, Obama headed to the downtown Washington law offices of Covington and Burling, where Holder is a partner. He declined to answer any questions on his way in. CNN Political Market: Who will Obama choose?

Holder, along with Caroline Kennedy, is principally in charge of steering the Illinois senator's search for a No. 2. Longtime Washington insider Jim Johnson had also been leading the search but stepped down last month amid questions over favorable loans from Countrywide Financial.

Kennedy was also reportedly in Washington on Monday for a Democratic National Committee fundraiser.

Obama's campaign wouldn't comment on the meeting, though Obama spent nearly two hours there before heading to a fundraiser in Arlington, Virginia.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe, as well as senior advisers David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs, also traveled with Obama on Monday, though it was unclear if they attended the meeting.

Speaking with NBC on Sunday, Obama wouldn't say how close he is to selecting his running mate, but said it would happen "soon enough."

"I'm going to want somebody with integrity. I'm going to want somebody with independence, who's willing to tell me where he thinks or she thinks I'm wrong, and I'm -- I'm going to want somebody who shares a vision of the country where we need to go, that we've got to fundamentally change not only our policies, but how our politics works, how business is done in Washington," he said.

Some other names that have been floated as potential top vice presidential candidates include Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/29/dem.vp/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Virginia governor not saying if he's Obama's top VP choice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16:22 AM »
I don't like him... but... he brings a lot to the ticket that obama needs.

Lawyer who fought for housing rights, BA in economics, catholic, has run a state as Gov, very bland and safe, which reflects well off oba's style.

Bachelor of Arts degree in economics
He graduated from Harvard Law School
Kaine practiced law in Richmond for 17 years, specializing in representing people who had been denied housing opportunities because of their race or disability. He was recognized by local, state and national organizations for his [fair housing advocacy

I don't like the guy... he's an anti-gun prick.  But he does fill the bill well as far as what the nation is looking for - economics, housing, and an experienced guy running a state.  Oh yeah, and he'll deliver the swing state of virginia, which would just about clinch it for Obammers. 

Oh yeah, and ee also taught legal ethics for six years at the University of Richmond Law School

If you're tired of seeing cheney and bush give the constitution daily facials, you may like him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »
I wonder what his class rank was?   ::)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »
I wonder what his class rank was?   ::)
I'm quite sure it wasn't dead last like John McCain.  ;)

Oh yeah, and he'll he may help deliver the swing state of virginia, which would just about clinch it for Obammers. 
This is the most important thing you wrote amongst all the other bullshit you wrote.  :D

I have been touting Kaine here all along...you motherfuckers haven't been paying attention. Obama most likely will pick a governor. It's rare to have two senators as the presumptive nominees and the top of the ticket. The top eligible governors to consider are KAINE, SEBELIUS, and STRICKLAND.

I think Obama would have considered Mark Warner and Jim Webb, both of Virginia. However, they both took themselves out of the running.
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
I'm quite sure it wasn't dead last like John McCain.  ;)

This is the most important thing you wrote amongst all the other bullshit you wrote.  :D

I have been touting Kaine here all along...you motherfuckers haven't been paying attention. Obama most likely will pick a governor. It's rare to have two senators as the presumptive nominees and the top of the ticket. The top eligible governors to consider are KAINE, SEBELIUS, and STRICKLAND.

I think Obama would have considered Mark Warner and Jim Webb, both of Virginia. However, they both took themselves out of the running.

Yawn.

What do Virginians think of Kaine?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »
Yawn.

agreed.  Just because he finished 894th out of 899 students, doesn't show he's not bright.

it's been 49 years since he finished high school.  He's on top of his game now.