Author Topic: Stupid, Fat, Poor & Mostly Minorities  (Read 2494 times)

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
Stupid, Fat, Poor & Mostly Minorities
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »
They can't figure out what is healthy and what isn't according the the People's Republic of Los Angeles.  Why aren't minorities offended when the city council tells them what, where and how much they can eat?  Doesn't this just promote the idea that Blacks and other minorities are too stupid to control/think for themselves?

LA blocks new fast-food outlets from poor areas

Jul 30, 6:48 AM (ET)

By CHRISTINA HOAG

LOS ANGELES (AP) - City officials are putting South Los Angeles on a diet.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to place a moratorium on new fast food restaurants in an impoverished swath of the city with a proliferation of such eateries and above average rates of obesity.

The yearlong moratorium is intended to give the city time to attract restaurants that serve healthier food. The action, which the mayor must still sign into law, is believed to be the first of its kind by a major city to protect public health.

"Our communities have an extreme shortage of quality foods," City Councilman Bernard Parks said.

Representatives of fast-food chains said they support the goal of better diets but believe they are being unfairly targeted. They say they already offer healthier food items on their menus.

"It's not where you eat, it's what you eat," said Andrew Puzder, president and chief executive of CKE Restaurants, parent company of Carl's Jr. "We were willing to work with the city on that, but they obviously weren't interested."

The California Restaurant Association and its members will consider a legal challenge to the ordinance, spokesman Andrew Casana said.

Thirty percent of adults in South Los Angeles area are obese, compared to 19.1 percent for the metropolitan area and 14.1 percent for the affluent Westside, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

Research has shown that people will change eating habits when different foods are offered, but cost is a key factor in poor communities, said Kelly D. Brownell, director of Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity.

"Cheap, unhealthy food and lack of access to healthy food is a recipe for obesity," Brownell said. "Diets improve when healthy food establishments enter these neighborhoods."

A report by the Community Health Councils found 73 percent of South Los Angeles restaurants were fast food, compared to 42 percent in West Los Angeles.

South Los Angeles resident Curtis English acknowledged that fast food is loaded with calories and cholesterol. But since he's unemployed and does not have a car, it serves as a cheap, convenient staple for him.

On Monday, he ate breakfast and lunch - a sausage burrito and double cheeseburger, respectively - at a McDonald's a few blocks from home for just $2.39.

"I don't think there's too many fast food places," he said. "People like it."

Others welcomed an opportunity to get different kinds of food into their neighborhood.

"They should open more healthy places," Dorothy Meighan said outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet. "There's too much fried stuff."

Councilwoman Jan Perry said that view repeatedly surfaced at the five community meetings she held during the past two years. Residents are tired of fast food, and many don't have cars to drive to places with other choices, she said.

Los Angeles' ban comes at a time when governments of all levels are increasingly viewing menus as a matter of public health. On Friday, California became the first state in the nation to bar trans fats, which lower levels of good cholesterol and increase bad cholesterol.

The moratorium, which can be extended up to a year, only affects standalone restaurants, not eateries located in malls or strip shopping centers. It defines fast-food restaurants as those that do not offer table service and provide a limited menu of pre-prepared or quickly heated food in disposable wrapping.

The definition exempts "fast-food casual" restaurants such as El Pollo Loco, Subway and Pastagina, which do not have drive-through windows or heat lamps and prepare fresh food to order.

The ordinance also makes it harder for existing fast-food restaurants to expand or remodel.

Rebeca Torres, a South Los Angeles mother of four, said she would welcome more dining choices, even if she had to pay a little more.

"They should have better things for children," she said. "This fast food really fattens them up."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080730/D9284FQ80.html

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Stupid, Fat, Poor & Mostly Minorities
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »
Yesterday CNN blamed this as the reason why AIDS is largely an African American problem in the United States  ::)

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
Yesterday CNN blamed this as the reason why AIDS is largely an African American problem in the United States  ::)

LMAO of course...it's CNN. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:13:53 PM »
ROTFL....

Next they are going to blame malt liqour, excessive tattoos and hair weaves for the high rate of STD's and illegitimate children in the black community and ban tatoo parlors, beauty salons and corner stores.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:56 PM »
ROTFL....

Next they are going to blame malt liqour, excessive tattoos and hair weaves for the high rate of STD's and illegitimate children in the black community and ban tatoo parlors, beauty salons and corner stores.

Honestly, I don't get it.  Why aren't Blacks offended?  Why aren't other minorities and White's who live in that area of LA offended?  Do they not feel like "Big Brother" is deciding how/what they eat?  Hell what you said might be next, certainly wouldn't put it past the City Council in L.A.

Where is personal responsibility at?  How about community activism for health?  What a sad admission by the City Council of L.A.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
Honestly, I don't get it.  Why aren't Blacks offended?  Why aren't other minorities and White's who live in that area of LA offended?  Do they not feel like "Big Brother" is deciding how/what they eat?  Hell what you said might be next, certainly wouldn't put it past the City Council in L.A.

Where is personal responsibility at?  How about community activism for health?  What a sad admission by the City Council of L.A.

I agree.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

Asking blacks to take personal responsibility is racist. Remember, it's everyone else's fault that they're more prone to violent crime, live off fast food, make up the majority of people with AIDS, etc. They can do no harm.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
Asking blacks to take personal responsibility is racist. Remember, it's everyone else's fault that they're more prone to violent crime, live off fast food, make up the majority of people with AIDS, etc. They can do no harm.

At first read, your post sounds crazy, but when I step back and analyze it a bit more, it is worth serious consideration.  How else can you explain so much of the crap that goes on?

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
The social programs that are put in place have pretty much castrated a lot of the black community as well as other minorities.

Why should you work to better yourself or assimilate into society when you can just lay back and get a free hand out and healthcare?

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
The social programs that are put in place have pretty much castrated a lot of the black community as well as other minorities.

Why should you work to better yourself or assimilate into society when you can just lay back and get a free hand out and healthcare?

Self Pride?  Setting a higher benchmark for our children?  Guilt or shame may even work for some.

Where are these feelings for those who abuse welfare?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

I don't get why they should be offended. Rich communities have been keeping out fast food joints from their immediate borders for eons. They make for ugly storefronts, and attract trashy people. Tourist towns make sure fast food places stay on the periphery since they muck up the quaintness of the main drag. Are wealthy people also brainwashed by big brother? So what, some people decided their own poor communities deserve to make a decision as to who will be lining up to take their money as well. What's the big deal? Looks like finally there are people who are doing that city planning thing they're supposed to do.

Are the city council people white or black? I have no idea. Do you? Did they ask the people of their communities what they wanted? (They did.) That sounds like community activism for health. Where's the prob?

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
Fair enough.

I live in a rich White neighborhood, we have all kinds of fast food...Carl's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Baja Fresh, Subway, Dairy Queen, Quizno's, McDonald's, Burger King, 7-11, 10 liquor stores & Panda Express all with 5 mile radius of each other, plus many more that aren't as well known.  I can assure you that those places look pleasing to the eye.

Not sure which White Neighborhood you are referring to but some facts to support your claim would be nice, until then, I say you are full of it.

Offended because the city council told the people that were to stupid & fat (not those words of course) to make the decision on there own.   You completely avoided the personal responsibility part of the equation.

The SOLE purpose for not allowing those places to exist wasn't to protect land, reduce traffic or to protect endagered species.  It was to control what people eat or don't eat.  If that happens in ANY neighborhood it should be considered offensive.

No need for city council to implement such measures if you trusted yourself and your neighbor, now would it?  Therein lies the problem and that is why people should be offended. 

I trust the people in my neighborhood to make their own decisions for lunch or dinner, I don't need city council to do it for me.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »
I love Baja Fresh.

anyways.....

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
I love Baja Fresh.

anyways.....

Damn it, I knew I shoulda left that out.  Of all the fast food within a 5 mile radius my favorite is about 10 miles away.....yep....In-N-Out.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
Damn it, I knew I shoulda left that out.  Of all the fast food within a 5 mile radius my favorite is about 10 miles away.....yep....In-N-Out.

heheheh   sounds like you live in Dixon   ;D

In and out.........straight from satan!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
I love Baja Fresh.

anyways.....

It's good, but did you see the calorie content on the fajitas?

I'll eat it though

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
It's good, but did you see the calorie content on the fajitas?

I'll eat it though

ehhh,  never looked.  I usually eat the basic chicken baja burrito.   maybe i should look at that  :P

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »

ehhh,  never looked.  I usually eat the basic chicken baja burrito.   maybe i should look at that  :P

Just do a bit more cardio and enjoy the burrito, gotta live.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
Fair enough.

I live in a rich White neighborhood, we have all kinds of fast food...Carl's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Baja Fresh, Subway, Dairy Queen, Quizno's, McDonald's, Burger King, 7-11, 10 liquor stores & Panda Express all with 5 mile radius of each other, plus many more that aren't as well known.  I can assure you that those places look pleasing to the eye.

Not sure which White Neighborhood you are referring to but some facts to support your claim would be nice, until then, I say you are full of it.

Offended because the city council told the people that were to stupid & fat (not those words of course) to make the decision on there own.   You completely avoided the personal responsibility part of the equation.

The SOLE purpose for not allowing those places to exist wasn't to protect land, reduce traffic or to protect endagered species.  It was to control what people eat or don't eat.  If that happens in ANY neighborhood it should be considered offensive.

No need for city council to implement such measures if you trusted yourself and your neighbor, now would it?  Therein lies the problem and that is why people should be offended. 

I trust the people in my neighborhood to make their own decisions for lunch or dinner, I don't need city council to do it for me.

Honestly terminal power, I don't have numbers, nor do I care. I don't live in those neighborhoods.

Who the hell is going to implement crap if it isn't the city council? I've only ever sat in on them when it referred to animal/dog dispensation of shite so I wouldn't really know about other stuff. But even animal shite seems to bring out the worst in people.  ;D  I do know that Stowe Vermont fought for years to keep McDonald's away as far as they could go. The city council is the only place that community members can go to state their grievances... and hope that someone will do something.

Those fast food places you're talking about in your neck of the woods probably do look pleasing to the eye because they were forced to fit in to the look of the community. No? If not, perhaps you didn't go to enough city council meetings, and didn't know what they were doing, or you live in a place that is just too big for any one person to make a difference,  or you too are forced into the big brother view of things.   :)

Again, why is it so awful that some community members want to improve where they live?

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
lol, I just assumed it was ozmo arguing with me.  ;D

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Honestly ozmo, I don't have numbers, nor do I care. I don't live in those neighborhoods.

Who the hell is going to implement crap if it isn't the city council? I've only ever sat in on them when it referred to animal/dog dispensation of shite so I wouldn't really know about other stuff. But even animal shite seems to bring out the worst in people.  ;D  I do know that Stowe Vermont fought for years to keep McDonald's away as far as they could go. The city council is the only place that community members can go to state their grievances... and hope that someone will do something.

Those fast food places you're talking about in your neck of the woods probably do look pleasing to the eye because they were forced to fit in to the look of the community. No? If not, perhaps you didn't go to enough city council meetings, and didn't know what they were doing, or you live in a place that is just too big for any one person to make a difference,  or you too are forced into the big brother view of things.   :)

Again, why is it so awful that some community members want to improve where they live?

DeeDee you said this in a prior post "They make for ugly storefronts, and attract trashy people"

By your own admission CC could easily remove one reason you mentioned.  THAT IS THE ROLE OF A CC.

Zoning, traffic, crimes, community outreach and more for what CC is about, not telling people how/what to eat.

You are correct about CC making sure those places look nice in my neighborhood, that is a good CC.  That also answers your question about "improving where people live".  It is a win-win for everyone.

See that we agree on this :)

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
lol, I just assumed it was ozmo arguing with me.  ;D

No problem!!!  ;D