Author Topic: Obama shifts position on offshore oil drilling...  (Read 1775 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Obama shifts position on offshore oil drilling...
« on: August 02, 2008, 05:57:03 AM »
ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Sen. Barack Obama said today he would be willing to open Florida's coast for more oil drilling if it meant winning approval for broad energy changes.

"My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama said in an interview with The Palm Beach Post.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/state/epaper/2008/08/01/0801obama1.html

Weez

• Getbig III
  • stronger than dirt
Re: Obama shifts position on offshore oil drilling...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Sen. Barack Obama said today he would be willing to open Florida's coast for more oil drilling if it meant winning approval for broad energy changes.

"My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama said in an interview with The Palm Beach Post.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/state/epaper/2008/08/01/0801obama1.html

How come when Kerry, or Bush, or Hillary, or McCain, or Edwards, or Romney, or Gore, or Huckabee do it, it's called a "flip flop", or even a "lie". Yet when this guy does it, it is called "re-positioning", or "cleverly changing, or re-wording his position"? 
Cam ad mi

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »

How come when Kerry, or Bush, or Hillary, or McCain, or Edwards, or Romney, or Gore, or Huckabee do it, it's called a "flip flop", or even a "lie". Yet when this guy does it, it is called "re-positioning", or "cleverly changing, or re-wording his position"? 

GWB was very stable on his positions in 00 and 04.
Kerry was not, and was a total flipflopper.

In 2007, mccain changed many of his positions to hard party right, then softened back up once he got the nod.
In 2008, Obama changed many of his positions to center from far left after getting nod.

They're both flipfloppers, and I think even the most ardent mccain supporter would admit he 'shifted"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Is it a flip flop if he agrees to do support it only in EXCHANGE for broad reforms to ensure the development of alternative energy to actually reduce our dependence on fossil fuels?

To me that sounds more like a compromise than a flip flop.

Maybe Obama knows that offshore drilling won't do shit anyway but he's smart enough to know that he can use it as a carrot to get some reforms that will really do some good.

Let's face it, allowing offshore drilling just means that 6-8 years from now the supply of "product" for oil companies will increase a bit and they, in turn, will simply sell it on the world market to the highest bidder.

During that time perhaps we can develop some meaningful, real world solutions to free ourselves from this finite and decreasing source of energy

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
Surprised he's not pushing the "car tune ups and inflate your tires" energy conservation approach, that was a winner.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Wow more bullshit from the left, he was wrong, he knew he was wrong and now he knows we have to drill.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:36:32 PM »
Wow more bullshit from the left, he was wrong, he knew he was wrong and now he knows we have to drill.

How is developing an energy policy that...

• frees America from the grip of foreign oil,
  • stops sending trillions of American dollars into the hands of those who finance terrorists
  • develops American energy independance
  • and stimulates American ingenuity

How are all these things wrong?
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

• stops sending trillions of American dollars into the hands of those who finance terrorists

how is he planning on doing this??? thats the big question?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
how is he planning on doing this??? thats the big question?

What people are unaware of is that there are technologies ... existing technologies that have been around for years in many different realms and industries, that simply sit on a shelf gathering dust because to bring them to the forefront would cut into the profit margins of "certain" companies.

All throughout your history, you've seen better products and better technologies shelves in favour of less efficient ones. ie: Hemp being allowed in order to preserve Dupont's interests in cotton.

All that needs to occur is for some of these technologies to be brought forward, and through innovation, adapted to mesh with our existing infrastructure so as to ease the transition. It's happening everyday.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
What people are unaware of is that there are technologies ... existing technologies that have been around for years in many different realms and industries, that simply sit on a shelf gathering dust because to bring them to the forefront would cut into the profit margins of "certain" companies.

All throughout your history, you've seen better products and better technologies shelves in favour of less efficient ones. ie: Hemp being allowed in order to preserve Dupont's interests in cotton.

All that needs to occur is for some of these technologies to be brought forward, and through innovation, adapted to mesh with our existing infrastructure so as to ease the transition. It's happening everyday.
and how does obama prepose we do this?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:44:58 AM »
and how does obama prepose we do this?

He will break it down for us on Wednesday, November 5, 2008.

Weez

• Getbig III
  • stronger than dirt
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 08:31:47 AM »
He will break it down for us on Wednesday, November 5, 2008.

You mean when he gives his consession speech at about 12:30 am?
Cam ad mi

Weez

• Getbig III
  • stronger than dirt
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »

I totally agree with you about this, but the guy does "flip-flop", and the guy does lie, just like the rest. HE IS NO DIFFERENT.
Cam ad mi

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »
You mean when he gives his consession speech at about 12:30 am?

hey, we're in for a shitstorm no matter who wins.  It's just whatever flavor of shitstorm you prefer.

How do you propose Obama will blow the electoral college lead?  tape of him making out with bin laden?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

It's obvious you know nothing about his platform. He has no real plan on how to do any of the things you mentioned.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
here's what his website says:  http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
here's what his website says:  http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/

Thanks, but instead of listening to what he says and his website maybe you should investigate the issues yourself.

Funny, he has an energy efficient lightbulb on that page, and those have such high levels of mercury they are worse for the environment than regular lightbulbs, in fact if you break one in your house, you have to fumigate your whole house and go to the hospital.

Where on that website does it say he will drill, to get the US off of foreign oil?

How does he expect us to do that? Inflate our tires, and go for car tune ups?

Stimulate energy ingenuity? How stupid is that....he just opposed the tax relief bill for businesses that use solar and windmall energy (they get 30% discount)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »
I didn't say that his website has a statement about offshore drilling - that's clearly a new thing for him (and I think he'll only use it as a chip to get other things done.

I like his ideas to reduce speculation in the energy markets and his plans to promote alternative sources of energy. 

I also like this part:

Require Oil Companies to Use Existing Drilling Leases:
The 68 million acres of stockpiled leases have the potential to produce an additional 4.8 million barrels of oil each day. This would nearly double total U.S. oil production. The Obama plan would force oil and gas companies to either produce or pay a fee on unused federal onshore and offshore leases they are stockpiling.

End Oil and Gas Industry Tax Breaks: Obama has called for repealing the oil and gas industry tax breaks that President Bush himself has said himself are unnecessary given today’s strong market incentive for expanding exploration and production.

I don't see anything on there about him opposing a tax relief bill for business that use solar and windmill energy but maybe I missed it

I'd need more information on the specific bill

The only thing I found on the web is a bill that that was blocked by Republicans in June

btw - since when is attempting to stimulate ingenuity stupid?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »

Since Obama himself decided to tax it! And then take away the tax breaks from those companies practicing renewable energy. Look into it. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
Since Obama himself decided to tax it! And then take away the tax breaks from those companies practicing renewable energy. Look into it. 

why don't you link some info

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »
I didn't say that his website has a statement about offshore drilling - that's clearly a new thing for him (and I think he'll only use it as a chip to get other things done.

I like his ideas to reduce speculation in the energy markets and his plans to promote alternative sources of energy. 

I also like this part:

Require Oil Companies to Use Existing Drilling Leases:
The 68 million acres of stockpiled leases have the potential to produce an additional 4.8 million barrels of oil each day. This would nearly double total U.S. oil production. The Obama plan would force oil and gas companies to either produce or pay a fee on unused federal onshore and offshore leases they are stockpiling.

End Oil and Gas Industry Tax Breaks: Obama has called for repealing the oil and gas industry tax breaks that President Bush himself has said himself are unnecessary given today’s strong market incentive for expanding exploration and production.

I don't see anything on there about him opposing a tax relief bill for business that use solar and windmill energy but maybe I missed it

I'd need more information on the specific bill

The only thing I found on the web is a bill that that was blocked by Republicans in June

Jag...none of what u have listed is bad, except Obama has been against it until he read some polling date...so forget it. Staw ur guy is for and against just about every major issue out there. He can't stop the tax breaks and then hit them with another tax, stop the tax breaks and leave it at that.
L