Author Topic: Price Increase Plagues Discount Shoppers  (Read 486 times)

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
Price Increase Plagues Discount Shoppers
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:47:35 PM »
There may be nowhere left to hide from rising prices. In today's tough economy, food and commodity prices, which have long been directly affecting consumers, have begun to take a toll on big discount chains.

"Big-box" stores like Costco have tried to resist passing on their cost increases to consumers, but they cannot provide discounts as they did before. Costco has announced that it will have to raise its prices, on some items by as much as 15 percent.

"It's tough because we're already on a budget," said Nikky Hughes, a mother of two who shops at Costco. "I don't want it to go up. It makes budgeting harder."

Jim Sinegal, president and CEO of Costco, said that Costco's current price increase is unprecedented for the company.

"This is the first time in our history since my partner and I started the business 25 years ago that we've had this type of situation where we've had inflation," Sinegal said. "It's difficult, but we will have to deal with it."

Increasing prices place a burden on Costco shoppers, who come to Costco specifically searching for the best value.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Price Increase Plagues Discount Shoppers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
yeah, the costco in my town... their prices are thru the roof suddenly.  Walmart is cheaper on many things :(

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Price Increase Plagues Discount Shoppers
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
i shop at sam's, it unloads my wallet and fills my stomach up, I don't see any real price savings, either, but I like to buy in bulk cause my diet stays the same day in day out.