Author Topic: How many of you use a belt?  (Read 7085 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: How many of you use a belt?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
inzer levers are awesome

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 07:27:50 PM »
Does the belt help people with hernias?

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
if you don't have to use a belt, it means your lifts are too weak.  8)

anyway, i have an inzer lever, not ratcheted too tightly but enough to give me support when i shove my stomach against it.

I agree.  I use a Cardillo lever. Best belt on earth.

http://www.cardillousa.com/weight-belts/475GLB.php

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
Does the belt help people with hernias?
::) ::) ::)  have it fixed dude, the sooner the better

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
No belts, No wraps. Just good form.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
only on squats.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
I think it's good for max sets but for the average Joe I think there is just a feeling that the belt makes the lift safe and often encourages poor form.
Squishy face retard

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
anybody ever use a schiek belt, i have a crappy belt from academy and it does the job but id like a little more support in the gut.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »
No belt.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
i only wear a belt when i'm pulling super heavy just incase but for most days i don't even pull it out of the gym bag. It takes away from your core strength if you wear it too much due to added pressure which is exactly what it's supposed to do..but you're not supposed to live in it. Over time you body begins to rely on it strictly as its support and your core will atrophy. I used to even wear it during farmers walks and strongman stuff but I don't anymore and my abs SING after everyworkout..

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »
Squats, Deads, sometimes on povercleans.

Only on weights more than 75%-85% of one rep max.

Sometimes on bentrows as well if my back ain't 100%

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
Throw on knee wraps at 405 and above on squats, and belt with 455 and higher. Deadlift usually when I get over 495 is when I throw on the belt. Beyond that, nothing else for the belt.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 02:10:24 AM »
use inzer lever belt 13mm for heavy set of squat and dead.
this belt is awesome.
asstropin

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
Never felt the need for an belt doing any workout. Even for PR training. I have worn one in the distance past when going for a max of 1 or 2 reps.

To wear it correctly you will have to have someone help you tighten it to the extreme. If you can get one finger in between the belt and body it's not tight enough. Inhale strongly as you cinch the belt up. You  going to restrict the breathing quite a bit, that's why 1 or 2 rep only. If you feel that there is not enough support for the small of the back, than fold up a large towel and put it at the point of the small of the back. That is one of the main reason why a custom fitted lifting belt should be first choice, if into serious lifting, that is.

In  strengthening the core (over worked term I know), pay attention to exercises like GoodMornings, SLDL', Romanian DL's, hypers, etc.. First choice, for me, would be GM'ings in a PR. Also train the ab wall heavy and hard. The upper/lower ab pack is a very powerful short range muscle group. If total core training is desires, than some direct oblique work. Though DB and general overhead pressing can affect them also.

Not wearing a lifting belt does not always mean that the mid section/core will be well trained. Added insurance, with belt or no belt, would be some focused lower back and ab work. The whole trunk (interior/exterior) area will benefit, giving a strong base for power. Good Luck.

there is so much wrong here I dont know where to start.

Jason

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »
there is so much wrong here I dont know where to start.

Jason
Jason,

Please start.  Some of us are here to learn.

Pat

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
I never use belts. I feel belts are a crutch.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
I use an ALTUS belt its not the best but gets the job done for me on heavy deads and squats.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
well one thing wrong in the above post is that a belt's intention is in no way to support the lower back in a "splint" type fashion. it's not there so your lower back can rest against it, the idea is to give you more core support which keeps the back from rounding over. take in a big breath and flex the abs against the belt, your back will be more secure.

another issue is the tightness. some guys like a VERY tight belt (like me), some like breathing room (chaos and others). there's no "wrong" way to use a belt, it's all about how it works for you.

however, i agree that it becomes hard to use a belt for high rep sets, although it's way off to suggest it shouldn't be used.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »
Have you noticed in the Olympics that the majority of Olympic weight lifters don't use a belt.  When a 200lb guy can lift 500lbs over head why do we need one to deadlift that?  I believe the less support gear the better work your muscles get. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 04:39:36 PM »
Have you noticed in the Olympics that the majority of Olympic weight lifters don't use a belt.  When a 200lb guy can lift 500lbs over head why do we need one to deadlift that?  I believe the less support gear the better work your muscles get. 

for a number of reasons.

1) olympic lifting is about more than pure strength. it's also technique and speed. while hossein may be C&J'ing 580 or dimas getting over 400, that's FAR below what they can squat and deadlift. they don't work at maximal capacity and often in training you can find them wearing a thin belt.

2) again, many use a thin belt, but even in the case of those who don't it's largely because the technique of a clean or snatch makes wearing a belt VERY hard. if you put a tight lever belt on, it can be hard just to grab the bar to deadlift it. doing a full squat such as that before a clean is simply out of the question.

whenever i do oly lifts (on the occasions i do them), i don't wear a belt either. it's uncomfortable and the weights aren't high enough that i need that support. however, there is a world of difference between an explosive clean and jerk and a slow grinding 900 pound squat.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
Jason,

Please start.  Some of us are here to learn.

Pat

Well, I will say this. there are probably as many different ways to wear a belt as there are people in China. Thats an exxageration, but you get the point.  Im going to touch on a few things, and if Youve got questions, just ask.

1. Cranking the belt down. I dont care what anyone says, I honestly believe for deadlifting and squatting, this is completely WRONG. 100% Nothing right about it. Like louie simmons, I think you should wear it a notch LOOSE. This is THE ONLY way you are going to be able to properly flex your abs (Push them out) into the belt, and take a load of air in thats worth a fuck. You are NOT going to be able to breathe the right way with your belt cranked.  It wont happen. If youre a belt cranker now, I suggest you try loosening it up a notch and pushing OUT into it. Now squat with it and tell me it didnt feel more solid. You wont be able too.

2. Pushing the abs out into the belt is the only reason you wear one, and it WILL make you stronger. "But the belt protects my back!" you say.  Well, do something for me. Flex your lower back into your belt as hard as you can, with your abs just "tight." Now, do the opposite. Push your abs against the belt hard, and keep your lower back tight. Now try it without the belt at all. Which one felt the most solid, and will support a weight on your back, or in your hands? I already know the answer. The ability to completely solidify your abdominal wall against your belt is what is going to protect your lower back. Not the belt. The belt just helps the abs.

3. If you are serious about getting stronger, buy a good belt. I would recommend a powerlifting belt to anyone looking to do so. 10mm for the casual trainer, but make sure that it is 4 inches ALL THE WAY AROUND. The tapered belts you buy at dicks, or sports authority arent bad, save for 2 things. they dont last with heavy use, and they are designed wrong. Much like everything else, you get what you pay for, and a 20 dollar belt just isnt going to cut it, as far as longevity is concerned. I paid 90 bucks for my belt, and it will probably last longer than my competitive lifting does.  As for the tapered belts, the issue is theyre BACKWARDS. If youve read the above points, you know that the abs need a bigger surface to push out against, as they dont have bones to flex against. If youve got a tapered belt, spin it around and see what hapens. I bet you like it.

4. The argument that Olympic lifters dont wear belts so you shouldnt is complete bullshit. They train for hours, every day. In most places, the US included, it is their job. They get paid to train. Anyone that is going to read this isnt an olympic level athlete, and your abs arent under hours of training stress every day. For 90% of us, we sit at a desk, slouched over a computer all day, with shit posture. this takes natural tension out of the abs, stresses the entire back, and saps strength from both for those reasons.  Use the belt. help yourself out.

hope this helps.

Jason

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »
Thanks Jason, great post.