Author Topic: Would You Rather Be A Top IFBB Pro or the 12th Man On An NBA Bench?  (Read 5010 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Would You Rather Be A Top IFBB Pro or the 12th Man On An NBA Bench?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »
If you enjoy an athletic endeavor, you'll do it, regardless of the pay involved. Soccer players get paid lots of money (outside the US, that is). BIG DEAL!!! I don't really care for soccer.

If you don't like bodybuilding, find something else to do. Blubbering about how little bodybuilding pays is rather silly.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
If you enjoy an athletic endeavor, you'll do it, regardless of the pay involved. Soccer players get paid lots of money (outside the US, that is). BIG DEAL!!! I don't really care for soccer.

If you don't like bodybuilding, find something else to do. Blubbering about how little bodybuilding pays is rather silly.
MCWAY, your right, but its a forum, fuck it, we have to diss something other then fat people

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »
MCWAY, your right, but its a forum, fuck it, we have to diss something other then fat people

Usually, folks pick a particular bodybuilder as the object of their scorn (Tom Prince and King Kamali are two names that come to mind).

Or, they revel in the fact that a certain bodybuilder didn't do as well as he had hoped in a contest (i.e. Ben White's placing 6th, instead of winning the New York Pro Show).

Then, of course, there are the rebels without a clue, who are obsessed with certain supplement companies.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
HAHAHAH the lowest paid here gets more then the Mr olympia.

Denver Nuggets Team Roster

NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2008 - 2009 SALARY
1 Chris Andersen FC 30 6-10 228   $797,581
15 Carmelo Anthony SF 24 6-8 230 Syracuse $14,410,581
12 Chucky Atkins PG 33 5-11 185 South Florida $3,240,000
32 Renaldo Balkman SF 24 6-8 208 South Carolina $1,369,920
25 Anthony Carter PG 33 6-2 195 Hawaii $797,581
45 Steven Hunter C 26 7-0 240 DePaul $3,862,600
3 Allen Iverson SG 33 6-0 165 Georgetown $20,840,625
 43 Linas Kleiza SF 23 6-8 245 Missouri $1,824,493
4 Kenyon Martin PF 30 6-9 240 Cincinnati $14,431,816
    31 Nene PF 25 6-11 268   $9,680,000

Jay makes over a million.  Only him and Ronnie.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »
Jay makes over a million.  Only him and Ronnie.

Yes but they don't get a pension from the IFBB, get a per diem just about everyday, fly private jets to games, they don't get insurance from the IFBB, no retirement plan from the IFBB, no revenue sharing from the IFBB, major endorsement deals from Fortune 500 companies etc..

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:22 PM »
What i love bout getbig, even though its a bodybuilding forum we acknowledge it's a loser sport... 8)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
HAHA, RON.....

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »
Yes but they don't get a pension from the IFBB, get a per diem just about everyday, fly private jets to games, they don't get insurance from the IFBB, no retirement plan from the IFBB, no revenue sharing from the IFBB, major endorsement deals from Fortune 500 companies etc..

Yeah but it's not always all about the money. Jay & Ronnie will probably live long healthy lives.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 06:11:55 AM »

That's because they don't get SALARIES from the IFBB. They get that from supplement and equipment companies, magazines, and other sponsors.

Jay Cutler gets his $$$ from MuscleTech, Weider publications, Powertec, and Schiek. The only time he gets money from the IFBB is when he wins a show.

How many "amateurs" get signed by supplement companies before they win a pro card? Look at Brandon Curry. He was a professional bodybuilder long before he won the 2008 USA, thanks to BSN.

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28:31 AM »

NBA players get all of that?  Shit, and half the f*ckers can't even read a book.  Ain't dat a bitch.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 06:40:45 AM »
NBA players get all of that?  Shit, and half the f*ckers can't even read a book.  Ain't dat a bitch.
Professional sports in the U.S is no joke..Allen iverson is like 33 yrs old, his making over 20M this season, shaq is making 20M for the next 2 seasons..the lowest paid player on a guaranteed contract is makes $477,000 thats the absolute minimum, thats if the team is real stingy, though most minimum salary players are on over $700,000..Im not sure of the after tax pay and all that, but alot have financial advice on how to keep there cash and not do a latrell sprewell...

damn, even if they were taxed 50% on $700,000, thats like 29k per month..players on $700,000 are usually benched 3/4 of the time and have no endorsements, so that minimum wage player needs to make sure he spends wisely cause when its time for the team to cut players his the 1st on that list.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
Professional sports in the U.S is no joke..Allen iverson is like 33/34 yrs old i think, his making over 20M this season, shaq is making 20M for the next 2 seasons.
most of the long term NBA contracts have pay increasing towards the final years....
The Number 2 in Scranton

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 06:51:14 AM »
most of the long term NBA contracts have pay increasing towards the final years....
shaq has been paid 20M since he signed with Miami, a 5 yr deal, he got 2 more with the suns..Shaqs ok, he has endorsement money, i read a book where he said he still has not cashed his Pepsi cheques..

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 06:52:49 AM »
I think if you were a full time equipment manager for an NBA team, you would earn more than 98% of the BBs in the IFBB..
The Number 2 in Scranton

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 07:02:12 AM »
I think if you were a full time equipment manager for an NBA team, you would earn more than 98% 99.9 % of the BBs in the IFBB..
Man i rather play street ball for free then be top ifbb pro..i saw an interview with Vince taylor complaining that his been doing this loser "sport" for years and struggling to pay bills..Do you see Kobe bryant, Grant hill, Dwayne wade, Lebron james charging kids $20 for a autograph..

Bodybuilding is a great hobby, nothing better then having a great body, but to inject this, inject that, take this, take that, taper off this, water loading etc just to walk on stage, the hell with that, fucken strippers make more then that without all that hassle

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 07:52:02 AM »
I would be a jealous #### if I was getting paid less than a million, while some others were getting 20-25 times more.

No, you'd be thankful your ass was making $800,000/year for doing jack shit.

$800,000/year > $7.50/hour

Do the math, man!

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
What a question.....

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
a Div 1A team in a major conference  might have 1-3 walk-ons. 

You dont really think that MOST of college bball players are walk-ons do you?

240 was talking about the guys on the end of the bench..the "12th man" ...they are walk-ons.  Most have one or two

Teams get 9 scholarships over a two year period barring any kind of NCAA violations.  Meaning most teams have 10-12 scholarship players at a time
Air Falcon

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
if i wanted to get rich i wouldnt try to do so by going into any sport.

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 10:25:58 AM »
Um, I went to the University of Illinois.  No such thing as a walk on for the basketball team.

You werent paying much attention then.  In the 4-5 years you were there I bet that they had 6-7 different walk-ons that dressed out, meaning that they had at least 1-2 a year that dressed, and maybe 1-2 more that helped in practiced, and were allowed to travel and dress out in case someone else was injured.

Michael Jordan's son Jeffery is a walk-on at U of I currently.
Air Falcon

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
I heard there was this one guy who was 12th man on a basketball bench...

.... who later went on to be a pro bodybuilder.

Ricky Hatton would knock Phil Heath the fvck out.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
Man i rather play street ball for free then be top ifbb pro..i saw an interview with Vince taylor complaining that his been doing this loser "sport" for years and struggling to pay bills..Do you see Kobe bryant, Grant hill, Dwayne wade, Lebron james charging kids $20 for a autograph..

Bodybuilding is a great hobby, nothing better then having a great body, but to inject this, inject that, take this, take that, taper off this, water loading etc just to walk on stage, the hell with that, fucken strippers make more then that without all that hassle
which is probably why alot of bodybuilders are male strippers on the side.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »
I would be a jealous #### if I was getting paid less than a million, while some others were getting 20-25 times more.
thought the exact same thing.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »
Depends what color I would have to be :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
Ricky Hatton would knock Phil Heath the fvck out.

no way.  phil's arms are WAY too big.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
which is probably why alot of bodybuilders are male strippers on the side.

stripping is very public, so that doesn't happen a lot. 

A lot of them do "hanging out" on the side, where they will spend time with clients.  Giving training and diet advice, go hanging out with the guy's friends so it looks like he's down with pro athletes, banging his woman in a 3way, letting dude crank one out, whatever.  Doesn't float my boat, but if two grown men want to trade money for time spent, it's their business.  You have kids selling crack on playgrounds and unsolved home invasion robberies that deserve the police resources far more than what two men do, harming no one.