Author Topic: China cracking down on Muslims before Olympics  (Read 1750 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
China cracking down on Muslims before Olympics
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:11:44 PM »
Seems they have some problems with their Muslim population, like the rest of world.

Attack-hit west China under heavy security 

KASHGAR, China (Reuters) - The city in China's restive Xinjiang region where a bomb attack killed 16 police was calm under sweeping security measures on Tuesday, three days before the Beijing Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many residents of Kashgar declined to discuss Monday's attack, which China called a "suspected terrorist" attack carried out by two young men from the region's Muslim Uighur community who were detained on the spot.

Police stopped and checked all cars and buses entering the city which lies some 3,000 miles west of Beijing, while riot police ringed the hospital where the officers injured in the attack were being treated and prevented reporters from talking to family members.

"We are scared that after this things may be even harder for Uighurs," said a shopper in Kashgar's main market who gave only his first name, Ibrahim. "There's already a lot of tension here."

But a Uighur water seller told Reuters not everyone was worried and insisted the popular Silk Road tourist town was still safe.

"It is just because it is so close to the Olympics," he said. "But don't worry, this doesn't affect ordinary people like you and me," said the man, who declined to give his name.

The Xinjiang transport office announced a regionwide campaign to ensure the security of trucks, buses and transport hubs.

"The whole region's transport network must establish a dense atmosphere of secure transport and production," the region's official news website (www.tianshannet.com) reported, citing an "urgent directive" from the government.

TIBET "ANTI-TERROR" DRILL

Xinjiang's largely Muslim Uighurs have been a focus of China's strict nationwide security in the run-up to the Games. Officials have said militants seeking an independent "East Turkestan" homeland are among the biggest threats.

Many Uighurs resent Chinese controls on religion and the expanding ethnic Han Chinese presence in Xinjiang, a region rich in energy and mineral resources.

The Global Times, a Chinese-language tabloid, quoted a Chinese anti-terrorism expert Li Wei as saying of the attack: "We can't rule out that this was the work of a few 'East Turkestan' supporters within the country who have links to external terrorist forces."

Li also said: "East Turkestan terrorist forces are the most direct and most real terror threat to the Beijing Olympic Games."

But Alim Seytoff, general secretary of the Uyghur American Association, a Washington D.C.-based group, said Monday's attack pointed more to discontent than militancy.

"We don't believe there are militant groups behind this," he said, adding that he had few details on the attack. "But we do know the crackdown in Xinjiang, especially ahead of the Olympics, has increased discontent among Uighurs.

"The general mood is fear, official intimidation -- a police-state fear," added Seytoff.

In a sign China was taking no chances with the security of the August 8-24 Games, the restive mountain region of Tibet held "anti-terror" exercises in recent days to ensure stability for the Olympics, the official Tibet Daily reported.

The exercises were held from August 2-4 around the railway station and airport of Lhasa, the regional capital, the report said. Lhasa was the epicenter of unrest in Tibet in March that spread across the vast mountain region.

Wang Bingyi, the region's top police and domestic security official, said the exercises were to "win a comprehensive victory in the security battle for the Olympics, and to protect the harmony and stability of Tibetan society."

China says followers of the exiled Dalai Lama pursuing independence for Tibet are engaged in terrorism, a claim dismissed by the Buddhist leader and many experts.

(Additional reporting by Chris Buckley; Writing by Paul Eckert; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: China cracking down on Muslims before Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
Seems they have some problems with their Muslim population, like the rest of world.

"The general mood is fear, official intimidation -- a police-state fear," added Seytoff.

the cure seems worse than the illness

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »

I don't think you would say that if you saw a kids arm or leg fly off her body because some Muslim decided they wanted to have a nice afterlife in the name of allah

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
Wait until Iran gets nukes and hands them off to these peaceful Muslims...I can't wait!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
maybe they can use those nukes to fly their asses to Mars.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »
Allah bless the "Religion of Peace".   ::)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:08:14 AM »

I don't think you would say that if you saw a kids arm or leg fly off her body because some Muslim decided they wanted to have a nice afterlife in the name of allah

Owned.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »

bullshit - people have been doing horribe shit to each other since the dawn of time.

The "solution" is not a police state.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:23:38 AM »
The whole world is experiencing the effects of radical muslims.  Intolerable.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:26 AM »
You know, its times like this that my dislike for liberals becomes outright disdain. When the fuck are they going to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that EVERYWHERE THERE ARE MUSLIMS ON EARTH, THERE IS TERRORISM, BARBARIC VIOLENCE AND THE TWISTED SATANIC MASACARE OF INNOCENT PEOPLE

Russia- Chechnya
India- Pakistan/ Bangledesh
Lebanon- Hezbollah
Israel- Hamas/ Palestine/ Hezzbollah

And--> Sudan ( Muslims massacare non muslims), Indonesia ( same shit), Somalia ( ditto), Every single terror attack in Europe which I could type forever, USA's coflicts with Al Queda---> Both WTC attacks, the bombing of the USS cole, the destruction of the US embassy in Kenya, etc. etc. etc.

I know I am neglecting tons of other examples, but I would like some sort of justification for how American foreign policy has created a inherently evil, fanatical and disgusting religion that is obsessed with death.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »
You know, its times like this that my dislike for liberals becomes outright disdain. When the fuck are they going to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that EVERYWHERE THERE ARE MUSLIMS ON EARTH, THERE IS TERRORISM, BARBARIC VIOLENCE AND THE TWISTED SATANIC MASACARE OF INNOCENT PEOPLE

Russia- Chechnya
Lebanon- Hezbollah

And--> Sudan ( Muslims massacare non muslims), Indonesia ( same shit), Somalia ( ditto), Every single terror attack in Europe which I could type forever, USA's coflicts with Al Queda---> Both WTC attacks, the bombing of the USS cole, the destruction of the US embassy in Kenya, etc. etc. etc.

I know I am neglecting tons of other examples, but I would like some sort of justification for how American foreign policy has created a inherently evil, fanatical and disgusting religion that is obsessed with death.

There have been terrorist attacks in the US and UK

Should both countries become a police state too?

BTW - China has been a police state long before they had Muslim terrorist so clearly the existence of such a state does nothing to prevent the rise of extremist behaviour.  The same can be said about Russia (i.e Soviet Union) and many of those other countries you listed

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:30 AM »
In my opinion, China is well within its rights to stamp out islamic extremism according to the laws of their land. The US didn't become a police state, we just started three wars if you include the moronic war on terror and every single thing the administration has done to take pre-emptive measures against terrorism domestically has been criticized across the board for infringing on terrorist civil liberties.

You still didn't address my question- Is it American foreign policy that breeds Islamic extremists, or is it Islam? 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »
In my opinion, China is well within its rights to stamp out islamic extremism according to the laws of their land. The US didn't become a police state, we just started three wars if you include the moronic war on terror and every single thing the administration has done to take pre-emptive measures against terrorism domestically has been criticized across the board for infringing on terrorist civil liberties.

You still didn't address my question- Is it American foreign policy that breeds Islamic extremists, or is it Islam? 

What you talking about? Islamists have every right to slaughter innocent people wherever they find them!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
bullshit - people have been doing horribe shit to each other since the dawn of time.

The "solution" is not a police state.

In your fairy tale world of PC, and milkshakes what do you really think a police state is? Increased law enforcement is what they are discussing coupled with increased video cameras.

What is the solution then Benny Blanko?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:15 AM »

Typical stone age prehistoric Muslim response

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »

Russia- Chechnya
Lebanon- Hezbollah

Bullshit. According to liberals like Jag and Hugo, the USA is responsible for every single terrorist attack across the world and Muslims are only misunderstood. They're also 100% innocent.