Author Topic: Squats  (Read 4069 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Re: Squats
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »
Everyone SERIOUSLY interested in squats, please read this thread and download the book.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=225310.0

Thanks, I just did.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
I don't do regular squats anymore since I've got older. If and when I squat, I will do parallell box squats with a safety bar. Saves my knees, strengthens my low back and hip flexors while keeping overall strength.
i wish we had a Safety Squat bar at my gym, had one at the old gym and loved it, always added a few sets of those after regular squats, that thing was heavy as shit, must have weighed 65 pounds.

buffaloburt

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
personally i think squats is the best leg workout you can do

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
squats are THE BEST EXERCISE. if you dont do them, you are selling yourself short of a great workout. the ONLY acceptable reason not to do them is if you have an injury. i just did squats yesterday, 335 for 8 not bad for 19 years old.

the empowerment you feel after doing squats is unreal! nothing compares to an INTENSE(and i stress INTENSE) set of squats to failure. racking the bar after your set, collapsing to the floor, it is awesome!!! i have thrown up several times while squatting during my workout, its all part of the game. i dont care how big you are, how much you bench, how much money you throw down a year for "supplements", you are SHIT if you dont squat, absolute SHIT! YOU ARE NOT A BODYBUILDER IF YOU DONT SQUAT. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU DONT SQUAT BASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST A WALL NOW.

unless you are injured or just plain old, SQUAT!!!!!!!

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
calm down, gloria, just squat, no need for any of that drama ::) ::) ::) ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
I'm still not quite sure how I hurt my back...my injury tends to hurt on one side only (right).
I've been planning to see a chiropractor to see if that would help, thinking maybe after 10 years of heavy squats I am just out of alignment.

If it’s on the side like that it may be due to a pelvic rotation.
Could be that your sacroiliac is the problem.
If your SI is out, a chiropractor or physical therapist should be able to fix that.

If you’ve been “out” for a while it may take a few visits to get it to hold in place.

For some folks, like me, it is an ongoing problem. I’ve developed a bit of a hyper-mobile SI joint, and it pops out of place easily & frequently. Seldom is it painful – but when it is, I simply see my Chiro who fixes me “instantly,” although the discomfort/pain stays for a few days.
The advantage to it popping out easily is that I can almost always pop it back myself.
But if it's a violent action/motion that causes it, it takes another person to get me back in.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
There is no reason to go super heavy (405+) unless you are a Powerlifter. Form is what you want to watch. Squat a weight you can handle with good form for 10 to 15 reps 3 to 4 sets and your legs will grow.
EXACTLY!!! Take your time. Work with weights where your form is good and your actually working the muscles. Look at many of the pros, ya alot of them can squat more than 405 BUT most of the time 405 is the heaviest theyll go. Ya, ya, we all know coleman did 800lbs for 2 reps, but thats powerlifting.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
Full Squats - 135 lbs / 68 reps  ;D

ASJChaotic

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
try higher reps for legs once in a while

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »
Full Squats - 135 lbs / 68 reps  ;D

hahaha

I've always said that squats are the no. 1 leg exercise, and that box/bench squats are the best out of those for size and for safety. No only does it take stress off the knees especially when using a heel block, it also means that if you get stuck you can always sit down until someone helps you. The best size builder of all leg exercises IMO.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »
hahaha

I've always said that squats are the no. 1 leg exercise, and that box/bench squats are the best out of those for size and for safety. No only does it take stress off the knees especially when using a heel block, it also means that if you get stuck you can always sit down until someone helps you. The best size builder of all leg exercises IMO.
someone told me well many told me squats are the No. 1 arm size builder they said if you squat 600lbs you will have 20inch arms gaurenteed!!!!  Articles galore say this......

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I sympathise with you YB...............my back is a mess but I`m starting to attempt squatting again.

Started out with bench squats like Joe talked about and will soon try full reps again but I`ll never go super heavy anymore...............ju st builds egos and wreaks backs anyway.............highe r reps are harder in a way and much more productive.

If your low back hurts each time you squat or deadlift it is most likely due to a disk in your low back.  Common sense is to lower the weight and reassess the pain.  If it still persists you should stop doing that exercise and move on to another one such as Front Squats, Smith Machine squats, etc.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
This is what my leg workout looks like most of the time.

Extensions: 4 warmup sets

Squats: 135-2 warmup sets of 10 reps
            225- 1 set of 10 reps
            315- 1 set of 10 reps
            365- 3 sets of 8-10 reps

After squats i go onto leg press

Warm-up sets: 4 plates on each side, 20-25 reps.
 From there, i go up to about 8-9 plates a side for my working sets, which ill do 4-5 sets. Then finish up with hamstrings.