Author Topic: how much protein do you really eat?  (Read 7677 times)

strength

Re: how much protein do you really eat?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
I was reading a thread on ProM and alot of the dudes were saying they ate 400-600 grams a day.  This sounds like bullshit to me.

A lot of us have full time jobs, kids, a wife, basically RESPONSABILITIES other than our protien intake.  Most of us do not compete.  I don't know how these guys have time to weigh out there foods, measure their intake of carbs and protien to the exact mg.  I have to get up at 5:30 am just to have time to train, after work is wife/kids/dinner.  I am lucky, i am a desk jockey so i can bring my tuna/chicken to work, but i think a lot of guys on here are full of crap, because if everone on here was as strict as they claim then we'd have 10,000 members @ 7 % all year round.  I always weigh around 180-200.  I have spent months with my intake about 300grms pday, and i have spent months with my intake @ 100-150 per day.  I can honestly say i can not tell one darn difference between the two levels.  Actually i was able to stay much leaner and harder on a more moderate intake.  For me, anything above 200 is pointless. 

mcb650

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 08:30:17 PM »
Some people probably do get 400-600g per day, but I don't know why they'd be bragging about it. They're probably not using it and just getting plenty of extra calories.

I weight 200 and get about 200g per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't really think there's much of a difference and having to stress about every single gram of protein you eat per day is a pain in the ass.

GetBigOrDieTrying

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 12:11:16 AM »
I try eat 40 - 50g per meal 6 meals a day. 4 Solids 2 Shakes. I dont like drinking shakes I dont feel good when I have them. Just post work out and at 3-4pm.

Varies from day to day. I dont have time to weight out food all the time. I eat meat which weighs between 220 - 280g . At night time I generally eat a bigger portion of protein with no carbs.

It all depends how much you weigh. My guide line is between 2- 2.5 g per kilo of bodyweight.

Ive consumed close to 400g protein at a weight of 110kgs . My weight is now 105 and I eat 250 - 300g per day and see no difference. Beside I have more money and less hassle.

600g a day is for a +120Kg bodybuilder dieting for a show.  Try the Mr 0 calibre

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »
A lot of us have full time jobs, kids, a wife, basically RESPONSABILITIES other than our protien intake.  Most of us do not compete.  I don't know how these guys have time to weigh out there foods, measure their intake of carbs and protien to the exact mg.  I have to get up at 5:30 am just to have time to train, after work is wife/kids/dinner.  I am lucky, i am a desk jockey so i can bring my tuna/chicken to work, but i think a lot of guys on here are full of crap, because if everone on here was as strict as they claim then we'd have 10,000 members @ 7 % all year round.  I always weigh around 180-200.  I have spent months with my intake about 300grms pday, and i have spent months with my intake @ 100-150 per day.  I can honestly say i can not tell one darn difference between the two levels.  Actually i was able to stay much leaner and harder on a more moderate intake.  For me, anything above 200 is pointless. 

That’s exactly why I devise the diet mentioned earlier. I have responsibilities, just like you (namely a wife and kids). As far as measuring your food goes, that’s simple: you can cook multiple meals ahead of time (i.e. the weekend) and store them for the week. I have a scale and can weigh my food. But, after a while, you pretty much get the hint of how much protein a standard chicken breast has or how much beef is 6-8 oz. As one bodybuilder put it, nuking 5 baked potatoes is just as easy as nuking one. If you’ve seen Chris Faildo’s preview to his DVD, there’s a shot of him cooking about 2-3 dozen chicken breasts on the grill. There are plenty of amateur bodybuilders who have full-time jobs, wives, and children (i.e. a certain 8-time Mr. Olympia, who won three of those Sandows, and a few other professional titles, while working as a full-time cop).

Again, since work is the most hectic time for me, I make sure that I have meals I can down quickly in transit and during meetings (the protein bars, liver tablets, and MRPs). As the day slows, I can relax and enjoy regular food.  If you’re that busy, then you may have to start DRINKING a significant portion of your calories (carbs, protein, or fats) at work, to get the extra nutrients you need. That’s why protein shakes/MRPs/weight gainers exist.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
I try eat 40 - 50g per meal 6 meals a day. 4 Solids 2 Shakes. I dont like drinking shakes I dont feel good when I have them. Just post work out and at 3-4pm.

Varies from day to day. I dont have time to weight out food all the time. I eat meat which weighs between 220 - 280g . At night time I generally eat a bigger portion of protein with no carbs.

It all depends how much you weigh. My guide line is between 2- 2.5 g per kilo of bodyweight.

Ive consumed close to 400g protein at a weight of 110kgs . My weight is now 105 and I eat 250 - 300g per day and see no difference. Beside I have more money and less hassle.

600g a day is for a +120Kg bodybuilder dieting for a show.  Try the Mr 0 calibre

If your drinking a whey concentrate, your probably having a hard time digesting the lactose. Try and get a whey isolate and see if u have the same problems.

Good luck :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
If your drinking a whey concentrate, your probably having a hard time digesting the lactose. Try and get a whey isolate and see if u have the same problems.

Good luck :)

I'd go with IsoPure (zero carb, regular, or Mass) or one of ABB's products as a protein drink (Pure Pro), an MRP (Mass Recover, Blue Thunder), or a weight gainer (Extreme XXL).

All of them have whey isolate as the sole source of protein.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »
60-80g.
Once really "pushed" it with 150g per day  :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
60-80g.
Once really "pushed" it with 150g per day  :D

How is that pushing it? I consume almost as much before lunch. If you can eat 150 grams of protein from regular food and drink 150 grams from shakes, you've just double your protein take.

Of course, if you can grow on lower calories/protein intake, so be it. If not, then it's time to put the shaker to good use.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »
When it comes down to the amount of protein I actuall eat, probably get just short of a gram per pound of body weight.  I weigh 165.

I've tried consuming larger amounts, 250-300 grams and all it did was make me fat even if I cut back on carbs and fats.  My metabolism is decent though I can get fat if I eat enough. 

I think this is really and individual thing since everyone claims different things on how much to consume.  If eating huge amounts works, go for it. If it doesn't don't bother. 

Agreed!! I respond better to higher amounts of protein. As I've gotten older, I've found that I don't need as many calories as I once did. That's why I've ceased (for the most part) my use of weight gainers. Those, who've known my posts from years ago, may remember that I sang the praises of N-Large2 as my favorite weight gainer.

The product is still a good one, and I'd recommended it to anyone, struggling for mass. But, I don't need the extra calories, as I'm not in my early/mid 20s, nor am I as active (outside the gym) as I once was.

reppin203

• Getbig II
  • they all talk fast but they all think slow
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
I've been eating in the 400-500 gram per day range for quite a while now. I find it easy as hell actually. Always half beef or chicken and half Powder. I eat like 12oz of steak or chicken with potatoes or rice 3x a day. I drink 3 shakes with whey protein.

copacetic

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »
yea screw that body fortress stuff though it tastes horrible to me i get the ON at vitamin shoppe its really only about 4 dollars more usually or some shit ok like maybe 8 more on 5 pounds but still not much more and i dunno if this is good but i've been eating those fiber one bars with the 10 grams of fiber(only 28 grams of carbs 10 from sugar not too bad i don't think really since they are really tasty as hell) though too i think with my shakes when i'm not going to be lifting(is this a bad idea actually?) i think it works pretty well though...what about that benefiber stuff i was mixing that with protein shakes for a while and its probably more calorie efficent than the fiber bars too what do you guys think about is that shit worth it?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »
yea screw that body fortress stuff though it tastes horrible to me i get the ON at vitamin shoppe its really only about 4 dollars more usually or some shit ok like maybe 8 more on 5 pounds but still not much more and i dunno if this is good but i've been eating those fiber one bars with the 10 grams of fiber(only 28 grams of carbs 10 from sugar not too bad i don't think really since they are really tasty as hell) though too i think with my shakes when i'm not going to be lifting(is this a bad idea actually?) i think it works pretty well though...what about that benefiber stuff i was mixing that with protein shakes for a while and its probably more calorie efficent than the fiber bars too what do you guys think about is that shit worth it?

ON Whey protein, as of late, costs WAY too much money. Fortunately, GNC marked down several boxes of ON Whey Gold meal for $10 each.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
i've really ramped it up lately to help my workouts out... at the moment I'd say probably around 400-450 now along with the calories to match. ALN's  MAximus and Nitrean never get old...thank god. And I'm a chocolate whore anyway. I would just gauge your protien intake based on how your'e feeling and how your workouts are progressing.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
oh brother. ;D

Alex23

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:26 PM »
Hair splitting skinny fat bitches on here...

The body has a base protein turn-over rate (PTOR) BWx1.818g.

200lb (shmoe) x 1.818g = 364g

End of the story.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »
oh brother. ;D

HAHA i'm drinking a huge ass shake of it as we speak! I'm one of the few that could give two shits about how I look I think. I go by how I feel and how I'm responding in training..I can always cut later after I achieve my strength gains and when it's a few months out from a meet and need to make weight i'll cut back too but if neither of those are on hte horizon I'm eating every chance I get!

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I used to get 300-400 g per day, but i had a lot of stomach issues, even after i upped my fiber intake. These days it's 150-200 g (250 tops).
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:21 AM »
I've been eating in the 400-500 gram per day range for quite a while now. I find it easy as hell actually. Always half beef or chicken and half Powder. I eat like 12oz of steak or chicken with potatoes or rice 3x a day. I drink 3 shakes with whey protein.

Sounds like a winner to me, if you need that much protein to get bigger and stronger.

reppin203

• Getbig II
  • they all talk fast but they all think slow
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 02:27:32 AM »
Sounds like a winner to me, if you need that much protein to get bigger and stronger.

Yes, I have gained strength and gotten leaner since I upped my protein intake. I used to eat 200 grams like everybody else, but I noyiced that my protein intake was only 800-1000cals per day or 20% of total calories while gaining mass. Now I eat at least 500-550 grams a day, or half my calories from protein. I also notice greater recovery and I'm never sore anymore despite heavy training.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
on sat. will be 5 weeks into my diet and I am eating 11 pounds of chicken breast every 4 days, I also included egg whites, tuna, and protein shakes, I would say I am easily getting 450 grams of protein a day and I've lost 20 pounds so far, 9 weeks to go and my protein intake will stay consistent, no stomach problems at all.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
Yes, I have gained strength and gotten leaner since I upped my protein intake. I used to eat 200 grams like everybody else, but I noyiced that my protein intake was only 800-1000cals per day or 20% of total calories while gaining mass. Now I eat at least 500-550 grams a day, or half my calories from protein. I also notice greater recovery and I'm never sore anymore despite heavy training.

After reviewing my diet, I've made one extra tweek to it. Now between the post-workout shake and the bedtime one, I've added a quick meal that gives me at least 40 grams of protein. Right now, that meal is a can of tuna and 2 mini-bagels.

That's four solid meals and 5 shakes. So far, I feel stronger and am recovering quicker. It really helps that I got those boxes of ON Whey Gold Meal for $10 each.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
1 gram per pound is the most you will ever need

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »
1 gram per pound is the most you will ever need

NOT TRUE

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
NOT TRUE

anyone that says different doesn't know his biochem and there is no need to argue with someone who gets all his nutritional advice from flex magazine.