Author Topic: how much protein do you really eat?  (Read 7708 times)

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
how much protein do you really eat?
« on: August 09, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
I was reading a thread on ProM and alot of the dudes were saying they ate 400-600 grams a day.  This sounds like bullshit to me.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: how much protein do you really eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »
1000g a day 200-250 usually, 300 tops
tank u jesus

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
I was reading a thread on ProM and alot of the dudes were saying they ate 400-600 grams a day.  This sounds like bullshit to me.
yea id call bullshit on that as well.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »

Based on what? 400 grams of protein isn't that hard to eat, if you spread your meals out and drink a good portion of your protein.

My current intake has me over 400 grams of protein, divided up as follows:

Upon awakening - IsoPure (regular or Zero Carb): 40 grams
Breakfast (at work) - Premier Nutrition Protein bar, 23 liver tablets: 45 grams
Shake - Myoplex Deluxe: 53 grams
Lunch - Chicken/beef. 12 oz milk, veggies, rice: 55 grams
Dinner - Chicken with rice or yams: 60 grams
Pre/During-Workout drink - Twinlab Amino Fuel, Body Fortress Creatine, Vitamin Shoppe Glutamine: 20 grams
Post-Workout Drink - Body Fortress Whey Protein: 52 grams
Bedtime Shake - Myoplex Deluxe: 53 grams

Total protein content: 431 grams

That's on average. The numbers on the shakes vary, based on the types I consume. If I use Mass Recovery or Blue Thunder, instead of Isopure upon awakening, that number drops to 35 grams of protein. If I use regular Myoplex or ON Whey Gold Meal instead of Myoplex Deluxe, those shakes drop to 42-45 grams of protein. But, if I replace those shakes with Body Fortress protein or GNC 50 Gram Slam, they go back up to 50-52 grams.

But, even with the lower protein shakes, the intake is just under 400 grams (397, by my count).

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
Based on what? 400 grams of protein isn't that hard to eat, if you spread your meals out and drink a good portion of your protein.

Breakfast (at work) - Protein bar, 23 liver tablets: 45 grams
Pre/During-Workout drink - Amino Fuel, creatine, Glutamine: 20 grams

That's on average. The numbers on the shakes vary, based on the types I consume. If I use Mass Recovery or Blue Thunder, instead of Isopure upon awakening, that number drops to 35 grams of protein. If I use regular Myoplex or ON Whey Gold Meal instead of Myoplex Deluxe, those shakes drop to 42-45 grams of protein. But, if I replace those shakes with Body Fortress protein or GNC 50 Gram Slam, they go back up to 50-52 grams.

So your drinking 7 shakes per day and only eating 2 whole food meals??

Hows that working for you???

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
So your drinking 7 shakes per day and only eating 2 whole food meals??

Hows that working for you???

Actually, that's three solid meals, as I count the protein bar and liver tablets as a whole food meal. Breakfast sets the trend and usually the meal that a lot of folks skip, which sabotages their results. Therefore, I came up with a portable breakfast that I can consume quickly, no matter how busy the beginning of my day is.

Breakfast used to be one Tofurkey sausage and yogurt, and a slice or bread, which is 39-46 grams of protein, depending on which kind of Tofurkey you get and the brand of yogurt (Publix has the most protein per 8-oz. serving). Now, I do the protein bar and liver tablets, since dairy produts have jumped considerably.

It's working quite well. My strength has gone up on virtually all of my lifts and I'm recovering from my workouts faster. My goal is to hit 245 fairly solid pounds. Currently, I'm at 237, up from 221 in April.

DylanPG

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
Actually, that's three solid meals, as I count the protein bar and liver tablets as a whole food meal. Breakfast sets the trend and usually the meal that a lot of folks skip, which sabotages their results. Therefore, I came up with a portable breakfast that I can consume quickly, no matter how busy the beginning of my day is.

Breakfast used to be one Tofurkey sausage and yogurt, and a slice or bread, which is 39-46 grams of protein, depending on which kind of Tofurkey you get and the brand of yogurt (Publix has the most protein per 8-oz. serving). Now, I do the protein bar and liver tablets, since dairy produts have jumped considerably.

It's working quite well. My strength has gone up on virtually all of my lifts and I'm recovering from my workouts faster. My goal is to hit 245 fairly solid pounds. Currently, I'm at 237, up from 221 in April.

I wouldn't count that as a whole food meal.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:38:58 AM »
I don't count, but I'd guess about 150 grams at most.

Alex23

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:34 AM »

Pre/During-Workout drink - Twinlab Amino Fuel, Body Fortress Creatine, Vitamin Shoppe Glutamine: 20 grams

But, even with the lower protein shakes, the intake is just under 400 grams (397, by my count).

HAHAHAAH I WOULDN'T FEED THAT COSTCO SHIT TO MY BACKYARD SQUIREL.

ANOTHER DELLUSIONITE HITS THE DUST.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »
300g per day.
No doubt about it...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 02:51:28 AM »
Usually between 300-350 grams a day.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:52:02 AM »
sounds like we've got a bunch of huge monsters in this thread. ::)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:53:20 AM »
sounds like we've got a bunch of huge monsters in this thread. ::)

Wait till the Nip chimes in with his 10,000 grams! ;D
E

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »
i noticed that w hen i'm not eating my body weight or alittle more in protien my recovery SUCKS and I feel like crap. When I keep it there or abit higher, i don't get doms, i feel BETTER, adn my workouts seem to roll right along.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »

The 23 liver pills here caught my eye.  Do you feel this actually does anything at all considering you are getting adequate amounts of protein?  Just sounds like an excessive amount of pills to actually digest.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

I know this stuff gets a bad rap because its sold at places like wal-mart though the parent company is NBTY.  They own Vitamin World stores if you've ever seen them around and they manufactur for some pretty reputable brands like Solgar and such. 

I have no idea what the stuff tastes like but I wouldn't worry about label claims so much.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
I know this stuff gets a bad rap because its sold at places like wal-mart though the parent company is NBTY.  They own Vitamin World stores if you've ever seen them around and they manufactur for some pretty reputable brands like Solgar and such. 

I have no idea what the stuff tastes like but I wouldn't worry about label claims so much.

yea most protein is made at like 4 factories across the US, so it doesnt matter which brand u get, most of it comes from the same place.

I Know this company supplies alot of supp companies with their protein. www.allthewhey.com

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
i take in in between 200-250gms a day 5-6 shakes and 2-3 solid sources

( Depending on my schedule )

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
I wouldn't count that as a whole food meal.

I count it as such, because as of late I'm using that instead of my Tofurkey and yogurt meal. Plus, it's not a liquid meal.

The 23 liver pills here caught my eye.  Do you feel this actually does anything at all considering you are getting adequate amounts of protein?  Just sounds like an excessive amount of pills to actually digest.

The tablets are Vitamin Shoppe's Liver Plus, which aren't that big. Each is about the size of your average Vitamin C tabletand and has 660 mg of protein, I take 23 of them which gives about 15 grams of protein. With the protein bar, that adds up to 45 grams.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »

I use that, simply because it's economical. When GNC starts marking down ON Whey Gold Standard or I can get some more Whey Tech from Vitamin Shoppe, I use that. For now, it's Body Fortress, which is working just fine for me. So, keep your "HAHAHAHAAH" to yourself.

;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
how economical are myoplex deluxe?
Z

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »
Body Fortress Whey made me break out with acne. Garbage product.

i prob get around 150 grams a day tops. i need to start eating more

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 08:42:53 PM »

We'll see if they make their 50th birthdays.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
When it comes down to the amount of protein I actuall eat, probably get just short of a gram per pound of body weight.  I weigh 165.

I've tried consuming larger amounts, 250-300 grams and all it did was make me fat even if I cut back on carbs and fats.  My metabolism is decent though I can get fat if I eat enough. 

I think this is really and individual thing since everyone claims different things on how much to consume.  If eating huge amounts works, go for it. If it doesn't don't bother. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »
how economical are myoplex deluxe?

The box I just used up (36-serving, variety-type) cost me $50, which is about $1.39 per shake. However, that was marked down for clearance.